Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
And can't spell "lose" to save their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Eh, it amazes/depresses me when people settle for subpar.

Counterpoint: EDF! EDF! EDF!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If the shadows on water not being 100% accurate and convenient phone calls now count as the game being 'subpar' then I don't loving know what to say

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, it amazes/depresses me when people settle for subpar. Not particularly speaking about this game, the final build seems much improved, but in general. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

I really don't understand how you enjoy anything then. Literally everything cuts corners somewhere because nothing has an infinite budget. You, by necessity, have to settle for 'good enough' at some point because every game compromises somewhere.

Not to mention that by only allowing the Best Possible Graphics you cut out the ability for lower-tier companies to make things and many of those companies create solid games that make up for their graphics with other elements that they couldn't do if they focused entirely on visuals.

Many games with top of the line graphics have to sacrifice length or quality or else have abnormally long production schedules they couldn't stick to if they didn't have other sources of income.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 9, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

If the shadows on water not being 100% accurate and convenient phone calls now count as the game being 'subpar' then I don't loving know what to say

You could say the person is up their own rear end, which they are

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't understand how you enjoy anything then. Literally everything cuts corners somewhere because nothing has an infinite budget. You, by necessity, have to settle for 'good enough' at some point because every game compromises somewhere.

Not to mention that by only allowing the Best Possible Graphics you cut out the ability for lower-tier companies to make things and many of those companies create solid games that make up for their graphics with other elements that they couldn't do if they focused entirely on visuals.

Many games with top of the line graphics have to sacrifice length or quality or else have abnormally long production schedules they couldn't stick to if they didn't have other sources of income.

Lotta words for "I do not understand the meaning of the concept of being on par."

The phone call thing is something at least I brought up, I dunno if others did, and I called it a minor nitpick like it is. It has no real impact on the game in any largely appreciable manner other than taking you out of the moment a little. Intrusive graphics issues that create visual issues that people dislike are considerably more significant than convinient phone calls.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 9, 2016

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Lotta words for "I do not understand the meaning of the concept of being on par."

The phone call thing is something at least I brought up, I dunno if others did, and I called it a minor nitpick like it is. It has no real impact on the game in any largely appreciable manner other than taking you out of the moment a little. Intrusive graphics issues that create visual issues that people dislike are considerably more significant than convinient phone calls.

I realize I'm stepping in poo poo but... come on. Seriously. Every single game has graphical compromises. Whether it's LOD pop-in, reflections not being physically accurate, low quality shadow maps, low quality textures on some props, etc etc etc.

Come the gently caress on. It's a videogame. If the quality of reflections at particular angles is a "significant" issue to you, perhaps you should find a new hobby. Game development is all about making compromises in the name of performance. You seem like you don't fully understand that. There are absolutely zero games that have fully ray traced rendering with realtime photon mapping and there won't be any for a long time. Get a grip.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In what world can you take that away from literally anything I've said? Name one time I've said, in any thread on any forum on earth, that they could have everything and anything without compromise. You won't find it because I never have and never will. The reflection work for mirrors in Mafia 3? Subpar. Don't talk down to people because you're think you're speaking from some higher authority, either, it's embarrassing for you. "Get a grip"? Shameful.

It's an entirely different argument that it's okay to express disappointment that people are happy to settle for subpar and even apologetic on behalf of developers for it. It's also entirely possible to say "this asset is subpar and should be better" and still enjoy the game itself. This one part that people are leaping to defense of in FFXV is subpar. It looks worse than that of its peers. Being on par doesn't mean "no corner cutting" or " it's good enough". It just means average. Exclusively. The incidental animation work in FFXV is well above par, I guess the entire game is extremely good and amazing now that people here seem to think that one thing in a game being labelled subpar means that it's utter poo poo, apparently, so the opposite must also be true.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 9, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

In what world can you take that away from literally anything I've said? Name one time I've said, in any thread on any forum on earth, that they could have everything and anything without compromise. You won't find it because I never have and never will. The reflection work for mirrors in Mafia 3? Subpar. Don't talk down to people because you're think you're speaking from some higher authority, either, it's embarrassing for you. "Get a grip"? Shameful.

It's an entirely different argument that it's okay to express disappointment that people are happy to settle for subpar and even apologetic on behalf of developers for it. It's also entirely possible to say "this asset is subpar and should be better" and still enjoy the game itself. This one part that people are leaping to defense of in FFXV is subpar. It looks worse than that of its peers. Being on par doesn't mean "no corner cutting" or " it's good enough". It just means average. Exclusively. The incidental animation work in FFXV is well above par, I guess the entire game is extremely good and amazing now that people here seem to think that one thing in a game being labelled subpar means that it's utter poo poo, apparently, so the opposite must also be true.

Nice meltdown. Personally, anything less than photorealism for me is subpar. Anyone's guess why I've put up with all these lovely video games over the years, guess I'm just incredibly self-loathing.

poo poo man, there's nothing wrong with wanting these game makers to create photorealism, but reign it in a bit. The game looks amazing from what we've seen so far. Compared to what came out a decade ago this is downright astounding.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It looks pretty good overall, it's nothing on the level of what you can get on a good PC obviously, but it's not available on one of those either. It comes out looking a little less handsome than Witcher 3 for sort of similar game comparison. The water effects people are complaining about are an eyesore. I'm really impressed with the leaps they've made for this final build overall. I didn't think they'd be able to get the framerate as consistent as they apparently have done, and the lighting is much improved over old builds too.

There aren't many games that make my favourites list that even attempt photorealism either, I'd rather the industry as a whole stepped by from attempting it. I prefer art styles that have a longer shelf life, things like Okami. The water thing is just an ugly effect that other games have handled better/more inventively. Simple as. Once again though, criticising a poor element is not saying it's all bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It amazes/depresses me how graphically nitpicky people have become. :psyduck:

I just don't want FFXV to be ruined by poor performance and technical issues.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Cmon guys the game isn't even out yet, we gotta stick together at least until it comes out and then we can pitch a war over who the canon gay couple is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everyone/thing is gay for Gladio.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Everyone/thing is gay for Gladio all of them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Cmon guys the game isn't even out yet, we gotta stick together at least until it comes out and then we can pitch a war over who the canon gay couple is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I just don't want FFXV to be ruined by poor performance and technical issues.

Given the last showing, which apparently is the version thats going to be on the disk, its looking good that it wont be ruined by poor performance. It probably has a bunch of weird bugs though given how wide the scope of the game is, which is what the day one patch will take care of.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The present generation of game players is the most insufferable, entitled batch on record.

We used to play unfinished games and be happy about it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Your avatar is perfect for that post.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm really excited for this game!!!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Your avatar is perfect for that post.

You're... absolutely right that's hilarious.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr. Citan Uzuki as a character is 100% the type of person who would make a game with an excellent disk one and then not bother at all* with disk 2, so it fits in that sense too.

*I know it's not a case that Square weren't bothered enough to finish disk 2 or whatever

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Given the last showing, which apparently is the version thats going to be on the disk, its looking good that it wont be ruined by poor performance. It probably has a bunch of weird bugs though given how wide the scope of the game is, which is what the day one patch will take care of.

i thought there wasn't going to be a day one patch

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

It looks pretty good overall, it's nothing on the level of what you can get on a good PC obviously, but it's not available on one of those either. It comes out looking a little less handsome than Witcher 3 for sort of similar game comparison. The water effects people are complaining about are an eyesore. I'm really impressed with the leaps they've made for this final build overall. I didn't think they'd be able to get the framerate as consistent as they apparently have done, and the lighting is much improved over old builds too.

There aren't many games that make my favourites list that even attempt photorealism either, I'd rather the industry as a whole stepped by from attempting it. I prefer art styles that have a longer shelf life, things like Okami. The water thing is just an ugly effect that other games have handled better/more inventively. Simple as. Once again though, criticising a poor element is not saying it's all bad.

Every final fantasy is on PC. I'll wager this one will be out on PC in a few months.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to recent comments from Tabata, it would take about a year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly not worth keeping this going.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 9, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Stumpus posted:

Every final fantasy is on PC. I'll wager this one will be out on PC in a few months.

I don't see tactics on steam

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stumpus posted:

I'd bet on it making it to PC one day too, not as quickly as you suggest, but there's not much point in saying "it'll look great etc etc" in an hypothetical PC version at this point. It'll be interesting to see what they add to it should it happen though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Med School posted:

We used to play unfinished games and be happy about it

drat straight we were happy about it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Realizing the boys have the exact same dynamic as the ninja turtles and finding out Prompto's VA has been Michelangelo before is messing me up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nina posted:

Realizing the boys have the exact same dynamic as the ninja turtles and finding out Prompto's VA has been Michelangelo before is messing me up.

You fucker. Now I'm seeing it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i dont remember michaelangelo going around taking pictures of the other turtles bulges

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
You just haven't looked in the right places.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

well maybe someone should share the goods instead of withholding them!!!

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Dr. Citan Uzuki as a character is 100% the type of person who would make a game with an excellent disk one and then not bother at all* with disk 2, so it fits in that sense too.

*I know it's not a case that Square weren't bothered enough to finish disk 2 or whatever

I think Citan would work on a game for years and make it truly great....without so much as a phone call to his family to let them know where he was.

Look the point is some of my favorite games were translated by one poor, overcaffienated man who probably wasn't allowed out of the game company's basement.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Med School posted:

I think Citan would work on a game for years and make it truly great....without so much as a phone call to his family to let them know where he was.

I think this would happen too. They are both extremely Citan things. I loving love Citan.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think this would happen too. They are both extremely Citan things. I loving love Citan.

So overpowered with a sword.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Between the Polygon and Eurogamer first hour vids. I enjoyed the Eurogamer one the most. Aoife and Chris were totally into it the entire time and had a fun time with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I finally started watching the euro gamer one, when did they change how to do parry?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tae posted:

I finally started watching the euro gamer one, when did they change how to do parry?

After Episode Duscae and the immense beta player feedback. I don't think it made it in to the Platinum Demo though if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Between the Polygon and Eurogamer first hour vids. I enjoyed the Eurogamer one the most. Aoife and Chris were totally into it the entire time and had a fun time with it.

I actually have gone back and watched Eurogamer's vid since when I said I would and it's definitely better than the Gamespot one, I haven't/won't watch the Polygon one at this point because overkill but it was definitely the better video and showed off the game better and the player was generally more skilled too. It also confirmed Chocobo racing is in and some what customisable so that's another thing to do with the game.

• Locked thread