Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

Depends if you class olive as a shade of green.

what would you call it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would call it a shade of green, meaning that the Cypriot flag has green on it.

Some cultures would call it a shade of yellow or a shade of brown though.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Map of Geo-Social Divisions

Some Redditor posted:

North-South and East-West category countries experience division generally along one axis, while Bi-Axial countries experience division along both North-South and East-West axes. Non-Axial countries are those with numerous internal division that generally do not run along a North-South or East-West axis and have multiple regions that significantly differ from the capital. Core-Peripheral countries on the other hand experience a division between the densely populated core, usually the capital, and the less populated rural lands that surround it. Fragmented countries experience severe division from islands or mountain valleys while Coastal-Inland countries are effectively on culture around the coast and a separate one in the hinterlands.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Baconomics posted:

i got an earlier version

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

Safety Biscuits posted:

This is still wrong because it forgets that parts of England, Wales, and Scotland aren't on Great Britain. There should be another layer of little red islands inside the relevant ellipses.

Self-determination for the Isle of Sheppey now.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Baconomics posted:

How does "North/South" take precedence over "Coastal/Inland" for, say, Algeria or Morocco?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Patter Song posted:

How does "North/South" take precedence over "Coastal/Inland" for, say, Algeria or Morocco?

It seems to only apply to island nations.

Though how "Core-peripheral" is different (e.g., Iceland) I don't know.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baconomics posted:

I can't attest to accuracy, but this legend at least makes more sense than the other one.

fishmech posted:

There used to be a lot more analogous things, but in most cases they've been given independence or more tightly integrated into the ruling country over time. Really the proper way to describe them is that the relationship between the Isle of Man and the several different Channel Island territories and regular United Kingdom/its Queen is an old-fashioned feudal one. The crown officially owns them, without them being fully added into the rest of the country.

Back in the day, a lot more territories were owned by the crown instead of being incorporated into the main state like that, whether owned by English kings or French ones or whoever really. A lot of the components of the Holy Roman Empire in modern Germany were effectively like the relationship between Jersey or the Isle of Man and Queen Elizabeth II.
Okay, this makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

computer parts posted:

Reykjavik is, with its suburbs, like two thirds of the country. Most of the core-peripheral countries seem to be ones with primate cities.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Australia has a coastal/inland divide because it is famously ruled by Immortan Joe, who lords over the coasts from his home in the Outback

Similarly, as we all know the greatest divide in modern Israel is the notorious split between north Israel and south Israel

Hawaii, Socotra, Galapagos, and the Falklands are all known throughout the world as independent nations with very fragmented societies

if you look very, very closely you can also see that Singapore is split between its core and its periphery, which it definitely has

(to answer your question: because it is a very Bad Map)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

computer parts posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that an island can be Core-Peripheral other then Coastal-Interior if there are multiple coastal gravities instead of just one.

Like Liberia isn't Coastal-Interior since only the capital (which is on the coast) is concentrated while the rest of the coast just has minor cities no more significant than the interior, while Australia has big-ish cities on various coasts and jack interior.

EDIT: like see how Haiti and DR are C-P despite being islands since one urban center totally dominates. If I had to guess, non-islands *could* be C/P but most of them are large enough to have additional divisions. Australia being anomalous since it's huge but also has an empty interior.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 1, 2016

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
Canada on this map is... oversimplified. :quebec:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I like how Chile just doesn't have any plausible options beyond North-South.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

sass menagerie posted:

Canada on this map is... oversimplified. :quebec:
The division is still on an east-west axis, it's just more than one division.

You have West, then East, French East, and Really East.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

The division is still on an east-west axis, it's just more than one division.

You have West, then East, French East, and Really East.

You also have north/south with the territories/provinces

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Land commerce by number of partner countries

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Number of partners" is the most useless metric when talking about the volume of land owned by a country's subjects abroad, isn't it.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I like how Chile just doesn't have any plausible options beyond North-South.

You could argue core-periphery tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Redczar posted:

You could argue core-periphery tbh

Core periphery is one of the fundamental cleavages in literally any country or any political entity with a territorial dimension, so...

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Core periphery is one of the fundamental cleavages in literally any country or any political entity with a territorial dimension, so...

Yeah but there is a pretty big culture of Santiaguinos vs the rest. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all division, it depends how you wanna look at it

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kurtofan posted:

add green and i think only cyprus remains

what about Bhutan?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Whorelord posted:

what about Bhutan?

Bhutan has orange reddish in its flag.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'd say Argentina could probably be core-periphery too.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

From The Economist on Friday.

Hello income inequality.

I'm surprised by Inner Mongolia and Liaoning. Thought they'd be poorer. And it can't be just proximity to big cities: Hebei gets skipped over in relation to Beijing.

Disclaimer: Technically I live in China but that doesn't mean I have any knowledge about the country as a whole.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Sea is massive transportation system for goods (and so, a economic boost), a amazing foor source and a factor of food diversity (so cheap awesome food), going to the beach is a fun pastime (so more fun to live), big water bodies atempere climate (so less extreme winter/summer).

Do you want to live in a place where is more fun, theres cheaper and better food, better climate, better jobs, or do you want to live in the interior of a country?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

gently caress off Batman posted:

Bhutan has orange reddish in its flag.

Yeah I googled Bhutan's flag and it really varied. Should be orange though, as it represents Buddhism

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I'd say Argentina could probably be core-periphery too.

I thought Argentina would be a textbook example of core-periphery. They've had multiple civil wars over the issue.

It's why I'm not a fan of those maps, in nearly every country multiple divisions apply simultaneously and it's just reductionist to single out one of them. Not everything needs to end up in map form.

tough stains posted:

I wonder if this takes price levels into account. I imagine living in a village in the sticks is cheaper than life in Shanghai.

Is it possible to apply PPP to GDP calculations of subdivisions of the same country?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 2, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tough stains posted:

Hello income inequality.

I'm surprised by Inner Mongolia and Liaoning. Thought they'd be poorer. And it can't be just proximity to big cities: Hebei gets skipped over in relation to Beijing.

Disclaimer: Technically I live in China but that doesn't mean I have any knowledge about the country as a whole.

Inner Mongolia is because of coal, just like Wyoming is in the US. Liaoning is similarly due to natural resources although they also have agriculture and manufacturing.

Also interesting note: the combined population of all of those darker coastal provinces, from Liaoning down to Guangdong (not counting marked cities or HK etc) is 420 million people. Adding in the cities, you get a population of 502 million people. The population in China about the time of this data was ~1.34 billion people, so that means it covers about 38% of the population.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tei posted:

The Sea is massive transportation system for goods (and so, a economic boost), a amazing foor source and a factor of food diversity (so cheap awesome food), going to the beach is a fun pastime (so more fun to live), big water bodies atempere climate (so less extreme winter/summer).

Do you want to live in a place where is more fun, theres cheaper and better food, better climate, better jobs, or do you want to live in the interior of a country?

Mountains're nice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bongo Bill posted:

Mountains're nice.
You can have both, if you want.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chile's got it all figured out.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Not everything needs to end up in map form.

Reported for blasphemy against maps

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Thought this was cool: http://www.solarsystemscope.com/daylightmap/

Was wondering what time the sun set in different countries and since you can set the time zone this was perfect. :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That is a good map. I wish the night lighting map changed with the date though.

I don't think this is right:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It will be very soon at the rate that India-Pakistan relations are going

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Guavanaut posted:

That is a good map. I wish the night lighting map changed with the date though.

I don't think this is right:

Haha, it would be nice yes but that would be well beyond the scope of what this map is trying to do I think. ;)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Politically loaded children's maps:

This one decided to solve the issues of Crimea:

This one solves the issue of Kosovo instead:

This one fucks up the geography of Europe something bad, it's like Europe's being squished by the title of the map:

And this one is all kinds of wrong:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kamrat posted:

And this one is all kinds of wrong:

Would you expect anything else from a Beatles themed map?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kamrat posted:

Jordan and Syria appear to have been mostly absorbed by Iraq, Turkey, and the newly square Israel. (Alternatively, Jordan is the square and Israel's been absorbed by Egypt.)

Other conquests include Russia and Iran dividing up Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan, and the UAE taking over northern Oman. To the east, Afghanistan's lost its northern third and India has apparently decided to start restoring Greater India, starting with northern Pakistan.

In Africa, Ethiopia has its sea access back by annexing Djibouti, half of Somalia, and half of Eritrea, which is now a triangle.

Tasmania has declared independence from Australia, cheered on by the single island of New Zealand. Meanwhile, Papua New Guinea has taken control of the entirety of New Guinea.

In the Caribbean, Cuba got tired of all the various island nations and simplified things by annexing them all.

And yet somehow the map does a decent job of depicting Western Africa.:iiam:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Kamrat posted:

I also like the Middle East, looks like there's a Kurdistan, Iraq gets a chunk of Syria, and the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict gets resolved one way or the other.