Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Chimbley Sweep posted:

Since this is the worst game you have ever played why don't you just get a refund? I can't imagine you played it too much with how much you hate it.

I didn't buy it on PC, PS4. And already played for 15 hours or so. At this point, I'm going to sludge through it to see the end of the story because I love the story, like the other mafia games. Until then, I'll bitch because if we keep blowing sunshine up dev rear end when it isn't deserved, we will keep getting 4 stop start launches with cut and paste content constantly. The point is the game could have been god drat brilliant, and that's what really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
If the man paid for the game like everyone else and is playing through it like everyone else, I see no reason to stop him from posting. He has been pretty spot on with all of his criticisms. Some people can play through the repetitiveness but at this point I really only want to see the story and I am having some modicum of fun with it, but as soon as I am finished, I am trading it in. It isn't something I see myself playing through again. The whole race thing kind of disappointed me because I guess I blew it up into being something that it actually wasn't.

Also, the mission design for the actual area bosses are so much better than the rest of the game. The amusement park, the hotel, the quarry are really thrilling to play through.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

blackguy32 posted:

Also, the mission design for the actual area bosses are so much better than the rest of the game. The amusement park, the hotel, the quarry are really thrilling to play through.

Yeah I agree here. And the scenes after that. When I hung the guy from the Ferris wheel I started getting really fired up to see some great things. Those types of cut scenes have happened once or twice since then, and it's those and to wrap up the story which keeps me playing. Really I hope to see something involved with what happened to Joe and some sort of twist which will make all the mundane worth while.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

In your case it sounds like you should just stop playing? And hopefully posting.

You clearly can't handle criticism of a game you play lol.

Getting close to the end here, it seems like the latter quarter or so feels less repetitive - at least the cool story missions are closer together it feels like.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kontradaz posted:

When you say poo poo like this there should be a rule to put your salary and job lol.

okay let's start with this character

John Romero posted:

get a grown up job

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

At the end of what? Joes Adventures? I haven't played through that in a while so I don't remember how it ends (though I'm pretty sure it doesn't provide any info besides what he did while Vito was in jail). The end of the main campaign is pretty clear that joe gets taken off and killed. Unless he somehow escaped from some mafia guys driving him somewhere and did something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VcmPM8NdY&t=151s

Edit: You mean the end of Mafia 3? I haven't finished it, so I don't know.

:siren:spoilers do not click:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6rIw7Gp12A

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Morter posted:

Oh man gently caress that guy!!!

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Protip: this is a mediocre open-world game with pretty good gameplay and story and pretty bad open-world things to do that aren't immediately story-related. If you liked the Mad Max game, this is sorta in the same area. I'm enjoying it a lot for all its flaws, but the Mafia games have always been poo poo on the sandbox elements and strong on the atmosphere and story beats.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Yeah I agree here. And the scenes after that. When I hung the guy from the Ferris wheel I started getting really fired up to see some great things. Those types of cut scenes have happened once or twice since then, and it's those and to wrap up the story which keeps me playing. Really I hope to see something involved with what happened to Joe and some sort of twist which will make all the mundane worth while.

Well.... Joe is technically in the game but he doesn't really say anything and they don't really tell you it's Joe, the camera kind of lingers onto him and he looks like Joe.

Kontradaz posted:

Getting close to the end here, it seems like the latter quarter or so feels less repetitive - at least the cool story missions are closer together it feels like.

I think I am about to hit that point. A bunch of loose story missions just opened up for me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Merrill Grinch posted:

Protip: this is a mediocre open-world game with pretty good gameplay and story and pretty bad open-world things to do that aren't immediately story-related. If you liked the Mad Max game, this is sorta in the same area. I'm enjoying it a lot for all its flaws, but the Mafia games have always been poo poo on the sandbox elements and strong on the atmosphere and story beats.

Be that as it may... WAS A HOUSE IN NAWLEANS... HYUNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH RISING-A SUnnnNNnnnNNN!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
the soundtrack and the set-pieces more than make up for the mediocre open-worldin for me and shotgunnin some poor rear end in a top hat 5 feet never gets old

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kontradaz posted:

Any brief perusal of my posts in this forum will make it clear that isn't true lol

I play nearly every big game and I'm ok if people hate this or anything else. I like it so far, may agree with the repetitive criticisms later.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

wyoak posted:

GTA and RDR's side missions were crap (Horseshoes? Hunting? Triathalons? A terrible implementation of golf?) but Rockstar knows how to make an interesting world to muck around in. The world is OK in this but not on that level.
Horseshoes was stupid, but RDR had other stuff like doing the nightly patrols in certain towns, five finger fillet, Liar's Dice, and cards. I actually played a lot of poker in RDR, and it led to what I suppose I'm talking about and what I want from an open world. In RDR, I would do a mission then go back to the MacFarlane Ranch, play some cards, and then do a nightly patrol. It made an in-game day feel like an actual day. Ballad of Gay Tony was also fun in this way because you had an actual job. You could do missions during the day then go to the nightclubs. And you had these dumb little supplemental missions that didn't involve murdering people but were still fun like running to the Bronx to get a celebrity a sandwich or stealing a fire truck to hose down paparazzi. I think the main thing that worked is that RDR and Gay Tony had stuff that enriched the experience of being the character as opposed to GTA V which is more hit and miss and slap-dash and also why are there two boring white people sports but no basketball?

But I don't even really give a poo poo about having Lincoln go fishing or any dedicated side activities. I just want to be able to walk into one of these very pretty interiors they made and have Lincoln get a drink or dink around buying him a new shirt. Or literally just drive back to the safehouse to go to sleep. Just little stuff to make him seem like a human being. It's almost kind of the opposite of Mafia 2. In Mafia 2 you could get food, buy sandwiches, had realistic acting cops, an interactive apartment, and other stuff that was clearly built for this more open game then what we got. In Mafia 3, the game is a lot less linear and seems set up for you to set your own pacing. But the world is void of interaction. And it really just hinders the tone of the story they're trying to tell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i walked into a store trying to get to an event in the back alley, and it said i was tresspassing, then the clerk said he store was whites only and told me to get out. thats when i murdered all those white people. that gave some life to the world, but it was an accident and 99% of people have no reason to go into that store.

Also, no hyperbole, police chases in this game are the most unfun thing ever. Less fun than kidney stones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is really disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlszwKVVP0

Did they spend all their development time convincing legal to let them say "friend of the family" a bunch of times?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Cojawfee posted:

Did they spend all their development time convincing legal to let them say "friend of the family" a bunch of times?

Foot in the carcase

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Too bad Mafia 3 is actually a better game than Mafia 2.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Hah, the mirrors even wok in mafia II.

Mafia III: Just play Mafia II

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I bought this game for somewhere between $20-$30 bucks. Hopefully it's worth at least that much. The story and setting alone looks worth it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even if this game was hsit i'd still buy it because Mafia 1 is my fabvorite game of all time. Can't really play it much past the prologue until a week from now but can't wait to dig in more.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Most of the stuff in that video is some really pointless poo poo. Cool, I can buy a hotdog, I'll maybe do that once, if at all.

Would have liked better police stuff though. And different outfits.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is anybody else on PS4 having an issue firing guns? They seem to fire really sporadically regardless of how fast I press the trigger. Not sure if it's my controller or the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know how people get chased by cops outside of story stuff. I literally crash into cars and speed red lights in front of them all day without a buzz. The only time I alerted the cops non-story was lightly bumping on the car at the beginning of the game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GTAV's moving of the handbreak to RB has resulted in MANY instances of Lincoln blowing through an intersection he meant to turn at while dumping wildly into the air.

Also occasionally he'll pull up to somewhere he needs to be and put some "speed divots" in the ground to try and stop his car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I really like about Mafia 3 is the gun play. You can't carry a lot of ammo so you have to constantly switch to different weapons while fighting through an area. It makes it feel more real. I don't just have unlimited ammo like many other games have. One problem is why would I buy a gun? When I buy one from that guy, does that mean I get it for free next time? I see no point in buying something when I'm going to be dumping it about 30 seconds into storming some place.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I really like about Mafia 3 is the gun play. You can't carry a lot of ammo so you have to constantly switch to different weapons while fighting through an area. One problem is why would I buy a gun? When I buy one from that guy, does that mean I get it for free next time? I see no point in buying something when I'm going to be dumping it about 30 seconds into storming some place.

Yeah you get them for free after the first time. It's good if you want a specific one handed gun, because your enemies usually just drop pistols.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Once you have the accuracy and ammo upgrades on the pistol, and the silenced pistol, you can basically snipe anybody within your range of vision with it, and as long as nobody is looking at them, it doesn't send you into combat.

on the construction site mission, you can basically stand in 1 or 2 spots and snipe everybody from an insane range with the silenced pistol.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tae posted:

I don't know how people get chased by cops outside of story stuff. I literally crash into cars and speed red lights in front of them all day without a buzz. The only time I alerted the cops non-story was lightly bumping on the car at the beginning of the game.

Stealing cars mostly when I didn't see a cop nearby

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Morter posted:

i make $420,666.69 a year, plus bennys at the racism factory

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Utnayan posted:

I didn't buy it on PC, PS4. And already played for 15 hours or so. At this point, I'm going to sludge through it to see the end of the story because I love the story, like the other mafia games. Until then, I'll bitch because if we keep blowing sunshine up dev rear end when it isn't deserved, we will keep getting 4 stop start launches with cut and paste content constantly. The point is the game could have been god drat brilliant, and that's what really sucks.

dude what is so wrong with your life that you have that much time to dedicate to something you dont like in addition to posting so much about how much you hate it

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

John Romero posted:

dude what is so wrong with your life that you have that much time to dedicate to something you dont like in addition to posting so much about how much you hate it

It takes like 10 seconds to type that up, get the hell off your high horse lol. You spend your time dedicated to responding to everyone bitching about the game, I would say that's an even greater waste of time. (and I spend my time bitching at those bitching at those bitching, the circle is complete)

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 10, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I really like about Mafia 3 is the gun play. You can't carry a lot of ammo so you have to constantly switch to different weapons while fighting through an area. It makes it feel more real. I don't just have unlimited ammo like many other games have. One problem is why would I buy a gun? When I buy one from that guy, does that mean I get it for free next time? I see no point in buying something when I'm going to be dumping it about 30 seconds into storming some place.

this. you maybe have like 3 clips/mags for each weapon so in a long gun battle poo poo can get tight, especially if you dont prepare. I like the difficulty in this game.

Deakul posted:

Too bad Mafia 3 is actually a better game than Mafia 2.

honestly this. Now if we had gotten the full mafia 2 experience it might be a different answer but mafia 2 feels so stitched together(worse then bioshock infinite even) in every way its retarded and sad. for all the repetition issues, at least 3 does things with the open world and is very fun TPS mechanically. plus 2 is just goodfellas rewritten. it works in some places and doesn't in others.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Do they make it "obvious" how to distribute the territory? I'm at the point I have to pick a district to take over on my own... is one easier than the others?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Do they make it "obvious" how to distribute the territory? I'm at the point I have to pick a district to take over on my own... is one easier than the others?

Probably, I just went random and started taking down districts. Not much of a big thing choosing which one to start with though.

I've finished the game, good poo poo. 6.5/10. (make sure you watch after the credits scene) End game spoiler: I chose California, Burke got murdered by me, Vito took over

For anybody new, the greatest poo poo ever is the ability to turn off switches (i.e peeps can't call police and sentries can't call in reinforcements) and the ability to get police off your rear end (comes into sooo much use) and then I guess the ability to call in enforcers (this gets you out of so much poo poo.)

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

So is this game hosed for non-microsoft controllers or is it just me? I usually use a DS4 with DS4Windows and I'm getting no button prompts on screen. Also I can stream to my Shield TV and the prompt issue exists there too. On top of that, you can't bind controls to M4 or 5 if you're rebinding the goofy rear end keyboard controls. I wish there was an ini that I could edit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
There's a ton of really stupid poo poo in this game but I blasted a redneck in the face with a sawed off lever action shotgun from the inside of my car while Sympathy For The Devil was on the radio and I enjoy that immensely.

Also chokeslammed a cop and this too delighted and amused me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Okay, I'm enjoying this game so far but a few things are confusing me.

1. I just killed the redneck leader and hung him from the ferris wheel, and it unlocked an 'optional chapter'. I completed it once, saw some dialogue, but the same mission is still listed there. Is it infinitely repeatable, and if so, is there any other actual story behind it after the initial clear?

2. I only have the one underboss so far, but can someone explain the handing out territory/unlocking perks poo poo to me? I don't get it at all.

3. Are there any hidden missions or anything or does the game basically point you towards them all?

4. Is it supposed to be raining -all the time-? Even when the sun is out?

5. Why does the bayou look like this? Everything has a border of light around it.

EDIT: Just watched that Mafia 3 vs. 2 video linked above and wow. I didn't realize 2 had aged so well. Makes me sad that 3 feels so.. buggy and unfinished, despite the great story, gunplay and cutscenes.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 10, 2016

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Verranicus posted:

Okay, I'm enjoying this game so far but a few things are confusing me.

1. I just killed the redneck leader and hung him from the ferris wheel, and it unlocked an 'optional chapter'. I completed it once, saw some dialogue, but the same mission is still listed there. Is it infinitely repeatable, and if so, is there any other actual story behind it after the initial clear?

2. I only have the one underboss so far, but can someone explain the handing out territory/unlocking perks poo poo to me? I don't get it at all.

3. Are there any hidden missions or anything or does the game basically point you towards them all?

4. Is it supposed to be raining -all the time-? Even when the sun is out?

5. Why does the bayou look like this? Everything has a border of light around it.

EDIT: Just watched that Mafia 3 vs. 2 video linked above and wow. I didn't realize 2 had aged so well. Makes me sad that 3 feels so.. buggy and unfinished, despite the great story, gunplay and cutscenes.

1. So Cassandra has her her guy, Emmanuel Lazare who you can run weed delivery missions for, but only once per racket ( there are two rackets per territory, ie the Church and the Cinema in the Hollow ).

2. Despite only being 18 hours in I've only started on one of the Capo's turf ( Enzo Conti ) but after the initial territories, when you take over a racket you can choose which Associate get's that racket and it should tell you the bonus you get from each of the Associates. Ultimately there are 10 bonuses per Associate, and each racket ( and the additional mission per racket ) increases their earnings which in turn gives you the higher level bonuses.

3. Game pretty much points you to them all

4. Nope, the weather should be pretty dynamic between overcast & rainy and sunny

5. No idea, looks like result of visual settings or limitations of your GPU.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ZombyDog posted:

1. So Cassandra has her her guy, Emmanuel Lazare who you can run weed delivery missions for, but only once per racket ( there are two rackets per territory, the Church and the Cinema in the Hollow ).

2. Despite only being 18 hours in I've only started on one of the Capo's turf ( Enzo Conti ) but after the initial territories, when you take over a racket you can choose which Associate get's that racket and it should tell you the bonus you get from each of the Associates. Ultimately there are 10 bonuses per Associate, and each racket ( and the additional mission per racket ) increases their earnings which in turn gives you the higher level bonuses.

3. Game pretty much points you to them all

4. Nope, the weather should be pretty dynamic between overcast & rainy and sunny

5. No idea, looks like result of visual settings or limitations of your GPU.

That's weird then, because it's raining 95% of the time for me. I'd agree with the GPU thing if the game didn't immediately go back to looking normal again once I crossed the line between the bayou and another territory. Only seems to affect that one area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Finally got around to playing this and got four hours in last night. It's fun! Technical notes:

1. Graphics-wise the game seems not super well-optimized. The biggest FPS/usage drains for me were Reflections, and in non-urban areas, Shadows and AO. But Reflection Quality is clearly the biggest drain of it all, even moving it to medium increases GPU usage by nearly 30%, and starts knocking 5-15 frames off near a lot of cars and/or water. Hopefully this'll improve with patches.

2. CPU usage, for me, is 60%-100% across all eight threads, so that's some good CPU utilization, right there. I still lose frames due to the CPU being overworked in more dense areas like Downtown, but that's normal for games like this. Happened in GTA V too.

3. As far as the game's looks go, I'm satisfied. It looks at least as great as GTA V with my settings (High Geometry, Low AA and Reflections, Medium everything else) and runs at a constant 60fps except for the CPU-bound scenarios mentioned above.

4. Controls, driving, in particular, are excellent. Very responsive.

5. The crashes can gently caress off, though. I've already had two crashes to desktop following cutscenes. Super mood-breaking. Glitches-wise I haven't seen a lot, and even then just clipped/stuck ragdolls, but I did have the superfast cloud bug once and it was p funny.

But, overall, with the 60FPS patch, it's an okay PC port. I think I'll enjoy this game to the end, since (as an Assassin's Creed fan) I don't mind repetition.

• Locked thread