Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fargin Icehole posted:

I can only imagine the 2020 elections where one of the candidates tries to emulate Trump's bombastic commentary and people won't give him the time of day because they know it's just an angle.

President Andrew Dice Clay is a genuine human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Polls will begin to show impact from this around Thurs. don't panic about or overcelebrate anything before then

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

As far as I know, which isn't a whole lot -

"junk polls" - i.e. those by drudge report and poo poo, the ones that don't mean anything at all - have trump winning by a lot

And betting markets on which is going to be president had Trump rise slightly during the debate, though not even close to making up for the crater that happened when the tapes were revealed.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

EugeneJ posted:

I can only see trump with a leather coat talking about pussy for 15 minutes now

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.predictit.org/Market/1234/Who-will-win-the-2016-US-presidential-election

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rudy please shut up, or make it worse, whatever.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Levitate posted:

I mean she didn't really answer the question directly but if that's your takeaway from her answer then you have poor cognitive skills so hey

Yeah in case anybody hasn't seen the movie, it's basically about some two-faced politicians getting the 13th amendment (A GOOD THING) through the House.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Good God the sniffing. How much coke you do, Donald?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

EDIT: Okay so it has her down from 79 to 76.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Chelb posted:

I'd like to see what the post-debate polls say first, tbqh. The media's spin on things and the public's perception of things aren't always in lockstep.

Correct, but as we've repeatedly seen, "who won the debate" is a fairly meaningless question. Debates are context sensitive like all other political events, and the bar for this one was set very low for Trump. It was a referendum on his ability to inspire enough confidence in his own base to keep the calculus for the majority of the GOP leaning towards jumping ship being a bad play.

I think he's done that - the GOP who unendorsed are going to come out the losers, he's successfully held his own party at gunpoint, set his terms, and his demands are met.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

speng31b posted:

Correct, but as we've repeatedly seen, "who won the debate" is a fairly meaningless question.

I feel like the immediate shift towards Clinton after the first presidential debate says otherwise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

Correct, but as we've repeatedly seen, "who won the debate" is a fairly meaningless question. Debates are context sensitive like all other political events, and the bar for this one was set very low for Trump. It was a referendum on his ability to inspire enough confidence in his own base to keep the calculus for the majority of the GOP leaning towards jumping ship being a bad play.

I think he's done that - the GOP who unendorsed are going to come out the losers, he's successfully held his own party at gunpoint, set his terms, and his demands are met.

How are they going to come out losers? If you've walked away from Trump you're playing a longer game than this election.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

EugeneJ posted:

Vote for Sulla 2020!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

How are they going to come out losers? If you've walked away from Trump you're playing a longer game than this election.

Yeah. Trump is going to lose. His supporters are going to have to live with that, politically.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

welp trump showed he was as bad a candidate as he is but he didn't actually implode into an 'actually i'm not owned' singularity like I hoped

that's my hot take

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Trump barely nudged out "Hindenburg" for beating expectations

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Lord Hydronium posted:

MODERATOR: Mr. Trump, how would you do the thing?

TRUMP: I'd do the thing so well, I'd do it better than anyone else. Hillary is bad. Benghazi.

"Look at how much money I have, you think I can't run this country?!"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Even Trump loses disastrously and noone remembers him fondly, they'll remember the names of people he calls out, and they'll get hurt in primaries. That's the power of demagoguery in the GOP - anyone can pick it up and use it as a weapon, and it remains effective even if the one who pulled the trigger is long gone.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
CNN super pac guy comparing Trump to Putin puppet Yanukovich.

I think those lock her up comments are sticking.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chomskyan posted:

Uh, her answer was an incoherent mess that sloppily transitioned to red-baiting over Russia.

What this has to do with being a two faced politician? Nobody knows

Pointing out the Kremlin's sloppy attempts to influence US electoral politics isn't red-baiting because modern Russia is not a communist regime you hack.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Like any collapsing market the Trump market was on meltdown five-alarm mode and him cratering at the debate was already priced in at least slightly, now that Trump barely held it together for 90 minutes, Clinton's merely at 77 cents.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Quorum posted:

Pointing out the Kremlin's sloppy attempts to influence US electoral politics isn't red-baiting because modern Russia is not a communist regime you hack.
This is what you're going to try to cling on to?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

disjoe posted:

Ford said there was no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe and the moderator literally couldn't believe it and asked him to repeat himself.

He did.

That sounds similar to my reaction to Trump saying that nuclear weapons are a new thing to Russia.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

He went +2-3% from the beginning of the debate in the markets.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/YouGovUS/status/785321956203700224

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
After realizing Trump invited several Clinton rape victims to the debate, Clinton staffers placed this lapel pin on Bill to make things less confusing for him

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

From the people who watched the debate?
That's like asking hatchlings what they think about the worm before it's digested by their mother

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Also,

https://twitter.com/peterphillip01/status/785324751342346240

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chomskyan posted:

This is what you're going to try to cling on to?

Defending Russia's interference with the electoral process of a sovereign nation is poo poo, and if you do it, you're poo poo. If you make spooky noises with your mouth while talking about Russia, bring up the Cold War, or mention commies, then you're red-baiting. Merely bringing Russia up or correctly pointing out actions it has taken in violation of international law doesn't count.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo conway doubling down on Bill Clinton instead of the tapes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest question:

Do people think Trump flubbed his attack against Bill Clinton? It seemed like he was expecting it to be more of a thing and then he just kind of dropped it? Did Clinton do the right thing just not rising to his bait there?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Holy poo poo conway doubling down on Bill Clinton instead of the tapes

She's also saying Trump's critics in Congress are also rapists.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honest question:

Do people think Trump flubbed his attack against Bill Clinton? It seemed like he was expecting it to be more of a thing and then he just kind of dropped it? Did Clinton do the right thing just not rising to his bait there?

I think he flubbed it. From here it looks like desperate flailing.

They at least needed a sound bite on it and didn't get it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quorum posted:

Also they are trying to force their agenda here and in Europe so who gives a poo poo. This isn't a witch hunt, they've been caught doing it.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently within that poll, 63% think Trump did better than expected, which makes those numbers a bit funnier imo (and in line with this thread, i think)

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honest question:

She turned it on him. The first chunk of the debate immediately was framed as a discussion on his temperament/etc. When he did try to pivot to Bill it just fell flat in the middle of that discussion.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
57-34 get hosed Trump.

And now the media is calling him an "avalanche of lies"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Trump was all over the place. Any attack line he could get you saw him pull out even when it was in a bad or wrong spot. Look at ISIS or bengazhi, just pulled out of nowhere. Hillary just ignoring it was that the best thing she could have done because it made him come off as flailing even more then he was.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honest question:

Retro42 posted:

She turned it on him. The first chunk of the debate immediately was framed as a discussion on his temperament/etc. When he did try to pivot to Bill it just fell flat in the middle of that discussion.

Yeah, the way she teed up her initial answer, tying the tapes to being more of the same of everything else he's said and what it says about who he is took a lot of wind out of the potential sails of "they're just words, not action like what Bill Clinton did". It wasn't an awful way to introduce Bill's past into the issue as a debate strategy but it lost its impact because Hillary had everyone thinking about more than just the tapes when Trump gave that response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
CSPAN callers: 60-something woman from Georgia who has never voted is all in for Hillary

• Locked thread