Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

spectrum took 45 minutes to present because they were going to show off SQ42 gameplay but it wasn't finished in time

holy gently caress I can't get over the size of that demo map, Derek is 100% correct this poo poo is fraudulant. YOU CANNOT MAKE A GAME THAT IS LARGER THAN A MAJORITY OF PEOPLE'S HARDDRIVES

Well, to be fair, they've never actually said what the min specs would be to play....

Min Specs
Quad CPU and MB w/ 1TB water cooled system RAM
dual GTX1080 water cooled
mini-nuke reactor to power all the system fans you'll need

Should get you about 5 FPS.

e: Something the Shitizens are in need of right now....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
oh my loving god, this guy

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh imagine being this dude's wife. drops $2,500, drags you to some nerd convention and this is what you get to experience

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Star Citizen will be released in a unique box set that contains the game pre-installed on 15 separate 1TB hard drives.

Please insert drive 11 and press <<use>> to continue.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

But holy poo poo, Sandi actually wore something like this in public where she was supposed to be taken seriously and look respectable?

Stylish women realize that certain... youthful styles actually make you look older when you are past a certain age. Just sayin'.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SirPenguin posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh imagine being this dude's wife. drops $2,500, drags you to some nerd convention and this is what you get to experience

Honey, I'm leaving you for Derek Smart's Line of Defense.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

SirPenguin posted:

I imagine the look his wife gave him was something akin to that which you might receive for inviting her into a timeshare pitch meeting.

No hanky-panky indeed.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 10, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Dr Sun Try posted:

Scam
Ponzi
Exaggerate
Con
Takebacksies
Racket
Unethical
Malicious

:five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Complaint Compilation posted:

Those evil publishers need to wise up- You need the entire dev staff to work on promotional materials. Duh. That's just :sandance: international marketing 101 :sandance:
For the love of God if CitCon represented what 350 employees can crank out in three months.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

STAR CITIZEN: There is no Hanky Panky Tonight

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

What I don't get is, why even have the con if you know you've got nothing to show? Why didn't they try to save face by skipping Gamescon and use that demo for their own con where all the money is?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Tippis posted:

I wonder how far they'd be if they focused on working on the game rather than on making demos and concept sketches to sell…
It would look exactly like what CIG has made up until this point...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Not much effort going into those deflection posts, Daves getting worn down by this :D

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SirPenguin posted:

Really sad. Poor souls...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
just spend some cash. I'm in. My friend has been in since the very beginning and has bought every ship and everything else. I'm sticking close to him since he's going to be some kind of mega power when the MMO finally launches.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Welp, recording his shitshow to preserve it for the future.

An hour in, another 3 to go. The chat replay broke 15 mins in and then mysteriously came back.

gently caress all of you

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

robot roll call posted:

What I don't get is, why even have the con if you know you've got nothing to show? Why didn't they try to save face by skipping Gamescon and use that demo for their own con where all the money is?

yeah hoping 8ace or someone can shed light on this

the huge delay + following disaster points to some catastrophic failing moments before the stream, but i'm actually wondering if they expected more sustained success after Gamescom and if they're finally out of money

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

...spectrum joke...

I plunked down some cash back in early 2013, when it was looking like a cool idea. It was around the time they had that trade economy infographic, I think. I remember thinking, "wow, they are already developing the deep game systems, that's encouraging!"

Imagine three years later, talking about some forum software. At a Con.

I stopped participating in early 2014 after so much drip fed meaningless art content. I was baffled why you would build so much art without underlying systems to pin it too. It popped back on the radar after Derek Smart wrote his initial articles and made a stir. I had never heard of him before.

I will always be grateful to SC for introducing me to the legendary warlord.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

Not the case at Derek's Den of Damnation. Dude's breathing was getting suspiciously heavy during the presentation.

robot roll call posted:

Because

a) They had a year to prepare some stuff for showing.

but

b) they are incompetent clowns.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WHAT DOES STAR CITIZEN MEAN TO YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Holy loving christ Witkin, learn to reply with something other than "thats beautiful" you hack.

LordWildMan
Jul 27, 2016
As a long time lurker in this thread, this Citizen Con finally convinced me to try and get my refund. It isn't in the hundreds of dollars, but it is a lot to me. I am finally convinced that there is no game, and there never will be a game like what was promised. If a game ever comes out, it will be broken, half-baked, and will be out-shined by other space games that are out there even now.

Honestly I don't understand how you can have an entire convention, where people pay a crazy amount of money to go to, and have, quite literally, nothing to show for it. That is the most damning thing. They promised there would be great stuff to show after gamescom, and now we know there wasn't. You can only break promises for so long before people no longer believe you. The rest of the gaming world lost their trust in this game years ago. Now the rest of the backers are starting to realize that the whole project is FUBAR. What will CIG do in the next few months will determine their fate.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

D1E posted:

This is it. It's the one.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

An hour in, another 3 to go. The chat replay broke 15 mins in and then mysteriously came back.

gently caress all of you

I'll help you with the freshest part.

https://clips.twitch.tv/starcitizen/GentleParrotKAPOW

gently caress you too mister!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh hey CITIZENCON, a convention for star citizen by star citizen lets spend an hour freplaying old footage and having team members explain what they do rather than talk about cool loving gameplay

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/56qfuv/for_those_who_may_not_know_this_may_not_be_the/

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Derek: did you really FAP during the convention stream?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
<message deleted>

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

<message deleted>

!refund

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm the bug smasher that had to learn Cry Engine in order to work on the game, without any help.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

robot roll call posted:

Think it may actually be fairly simple. GamesCon is very public, so they were hoping to drag in a bunch of new suckers and put a lot of "effort" into that. ShitCon is really just for the already-converted. And that well is probably already drying up. What they didn't really count on I think is the amount of poor to bad press they've gotten recently, combined with a toxic community that any prospective backer would probably shy away from, and the fact that even the GamesCon presentation was - at best - lack luster. But I think it clearly shows how CIG thinks of their fans, even with all the "you guys are the greatest" "we're in this together to take on the evil game producers" blah blah.

I mean, at GamesCon they basically said SQ42 ep1 was ready, just needed polishing. Now CR's slides talk about "basic foundation" being done but needs AI work, animation work etc (all of which would be basic foundation IMHO). Tell the public one thing then tell the backers something else.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dear MoMA, in answer to your question, yes I enjoyed the show.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Oleyo posted:

I plunked down some cash back in early 2013, when it was looking like a cool idea. It was around the time they had that trade economy infographic, I think. I remember thinking, "wow, they are already developing the deep game systems, that's encouraging!"

Imagine three years later, talking about some forum software. At a Con.

I stopped participating in early 2014 after so much drip fed meaningless art content. I was baffled why you would build so much art without underlying systems to pin it too. It popped back on the radar after Derek Smart wrote his initial articles and made a stir. I had never heard of him before.

I will always be grateful to SC for introducing me to the legendary warlord.

October 2012 for me, one of the first 40,000 people to sign up, things looked good back then before it got all bloated and wayward :) Doable at least, but then the sales became too frequent and the lack of game or roadmap was apparent.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/56q7ll/we_need_to_be_honest_as_a_community/

:getin:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

gently caress all of you

rgr thank you commando

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I sat in on Derek's stream until CIG's stream died on the ugly planet. Just caught up. Jeezus, that was boring and unimpressive as hell. And then their big reveal was a broken cinematic? Holy poo poo. I thought the lowlight was going to be the endless chat/forum thing they had going but they somehow managed to embarrass themselves more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How do I know Citizens are a cult?

Literally everyone answered "the community" when asked what Star Citizen meant to them.

Chris doesnt even need to release a loving game, everyones already got eachother and are jerking themselves off over dreams and fantasies.

• Locked thread