Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

moolchaba posted:

My lands. I was driving home last night in the rain and I couldn't get a drat signal at all the spots I usually get a decent LTE signal. It kept dropping data completely or dropping to a very weak 3G signal.

Is there something to Sprints spectrum that is sensitive to rain?

I can't believe I still have SERO. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh well.. unlimited data. Right? Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Retarded Tier 1 level response of course, but that is a really strange issue. I haven't had an issue ever with ports on LTE tethering or otherwise so it is strange how it is blocking e-mail of all things.

Any chance you guys have tried a VPN though LTE to see if that breaks the curse?

Unfortunately, this was after 4+ hours of phone calls into their support and it finally got escalated to the "networking team" who would have to contact us back in 72 hours. This was the networking teams first response and after I told them I wouldn't be doing that, because it made no sense when all sorts of phones are affected and that we had already hashed all that out with previous support, they were happy to tell me that they could not proceed and would be closing the ticket.

I'm sure the VPN would fix the issue, but we do not use VPNs in our environment and I am not setting one up just to test. I'll tell our users to put their phones in 3G mode and call Sprint with our ticket number if they feel like wasting their time. I'm fine with Sprint telling our users to gently caress up their phones, but I'll have no part of that.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Revitalized posted:

Speaking of SERO...

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241532

Is this the end of SERO Premium 500 as we know it!?

Uhhh so my phone broke, I replaced it with a lovely backup phone, didn't get around to buying a replacement (iPhone 5c) till now, so...I'm hosed? Stuck on the backup phone forever?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

Uhhh so my phone broke, I replaced it with a lovely backup phone, didn't get around to buying a replacement (iPhone 5c) till now, so...I'm hosed? Stuck on the backup phone forever?

Nah. I re-upped my contract without issue. I admittedly haven't activated a new phone since that post, but if a contract renewal doesn't trigger it, there's no way activating a different phone will.

This guy did though:

FinsUp99 posted:

Just upgraded to the S7 on 8/5. Upgrade price was $250. My plan is still $40+$10 premium data. Been with SERO a loooooong time.

You guys gave me a heart attack!

evechey posted:

Have you activated your new phone yet or just ordered it?

FinsUp99 posted:

Activated my S7 when it arrived on 8/5 through chat. Just checked my account. SERO Premium 500. Everything is still $40+$10 premium data on both my lines.

From my cold, dead hands.......

They are discussing this page: https://www.sprint.com/landings/everythingplus/EPRP-modal.html?vanity=true&popup=true&ECID=vanity:everythingpluscustomer#1. Seems like it's just for those who hadn't yet transitioned from normal SERO to SERO Premium.

quote:

I am a SERO customer considering an upgrade and understand SERO Basic and SERO Premium rate plans are no longer available. What are my options?

SERO customers requiring a plan change as a result of an upgrade will need to move to SERO Unlimited, $60 per month for unlimited talk, text and data (*while on the Sprint Network). Upgrades via installment billing or lease receive a $15/mo. service credit if on the SERO Unlimited Plan. SERO Unlimited is only available to current SERO customers.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Juan Carlos III posted:

Where are you located?

It was all the way along 131 from GR to Kalamazoo and also the whole way between Kalamazoo and a ways past Battle Creek on 94.

I do see my signal drop to 3G a fair amount on this route, but that rainy night was rotten.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

the littlest prince posted:

Nah. I re-upped my contract without issue. I admittedly haven't activated a new phone since that post, but if a contract renewal doesn't trigger it, there's no way activating a different phone will.

Yeah I'm on SERO premium. Hmm, I chatted with a rep online who wouldn't activate the iphone 5c, saying I would have to change my plan to SERO unlimited and pay another $10/month. Do I need to call a special number? Or do I need to do an upgrade?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Did you try activating online?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
(yes, I tried to change my device from mysprint.sprint.com and it had me chat with an agent)

...who apparently hosed my poo poo up. I just logged into my account to find:

10/07/16 INST:Lease Cancellation Charge TM-L-3667 $576.13
10/07/16 INST:Lease Device Purchase Amt TM-L-3667 $182.00
10/07/16 INST:Lease Cancellation Charge TM-L-3667 $576.13
10/07/16 INST:Lease Device Purchase Amt TM-L-3667 $182.00

And two new phone lines, both with iPhone 7's, and my plan now says "Unlimited Freedom" with a monthly cost of $73. All after I specifically said, no, don't change my plan, no, I don't agree to an extra $10 charge, and that I would try to activate my iPhone 5c somewhere else. And apparently they don't record chat transcripts any more??

:lol:

Before this I was gonna shrug and think about hopping to google fi but now I'm going to do everything I can to get my sero 500 back. This means war, sprint

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 9, 2016

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I'm on sero premium and I have a Note 3 that started messing up so I decided to activate an old Galaxy Nexus I have laying around until I get a new phone. The website wouldn't let me activate it without switching to Sero Unlimited. So even if you try to switch to a phone several years older than the one you have now it still tries to charge you an extra $10/month.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

I was able to activate an iPhone 7+ on the 27th online and I am still on SERO premium 500. I was coming from a 6s+. Seems strange that different people are having different results.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I sorry if this has been discussed, I have never bought a phone from an outside source before but I really want the Pixel XL. To make sure I understand the steps, I purchase the phone from Google (do I need to get a specific one?) And then just take it to the store to get it activated right? Anything else I need to know?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I sorry if this has been discussed, I have never bought a phone from an outside source before but I really want the Pixel XL. To make sure I understand the steps, I purchase the phone from Google (do I need to get a specific one?) And then just take it to the store to get it activated right? Anything else I need to know?

You will just need to get a NanoSim from Sprint for the Pixel. Not sure if it will be the same sim as the Nexus 5x/6P devices but sprint should know, especially since there are no Past Pixel devices to confuse the agents with yet.

Once you get the Sim installed, you should be able to call in again and get it activated fairly easy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Do I still need to worry about CDMA and GMA or is that a thing of the past?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SalTheBard posted:

Do I still need to worry about CDMA and GMA or is that a thing of the past?

All Pixel models sold by Google are CDMA compatible and can be activated on Sprint.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

nimper posted:

All Pixel models sold by Google are CDMA compatible and can be activated on Sprint.

Thanks a ton for the quick answers!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Anyone have a G2 in their desk drawer they want to sell?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

flickmaker posted:

I was able to activate an iPhone 7+ on the 27th online and I am still on SERO premium 500. I was coming from a 6s+. Seems strange that different people are having different results.

Yeah this is weird. They keep telling me I need the "smartphone plan" even though I've had a Galaxy Nexus on it for years (and currently Kyocera Torque which runs android). I guess I'll keep calling every number I find and requeueing in online chat until I am victorious in this struggle

edit: That was weird. I called the sales line in the OP to try to get to SERO Customer care, which I think is where they transferred me. In any case, this department started my activation as usual, and then ran into an issue with the system as usual, offering me to upgrade from SERO 500 to SERO Unlimited for another $10 as usual, which I declined as usual.

But this time, after a lot of dancing around and mumbling on both parties, she...sort of let me know that this is actually an issue they're having that's being escalated? As in, they're getting so many calls about this (people trying to activate iphone 7's, or just about anything, on a SERO 500 account, but the system won't let them) that their manager is trying to work on it? ...ultimately she basically hinted that I should call back in a week. She was very cool about letting me "in" on this? I think?

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 10, 2016

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

So I dropped sprint when the iPhone 6 came out for Verizon. I was just baited by the sprint guy at radio shack (why did I go to radio shack?) about the new cheap plans and how the network has improved so much.

Anyway, please tell me that the network is still absolute poo poo and I shouldn't be swayed by less than half price of Verizon.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

catspleen posted:

So I dropped sprint when the iPhone 6 came out for Verizon. I was just baited by the sprint guy at radio shack (why did I go to radio shack?) about the new cheap plans and how the network has improved so much.

Anyway, please tell me that the network is still absolute poo poo and I shouldn't be swayed by less than half price of Verizon.

Depends on where you are. I'm very happy with Sprint, ever since they turned on LTE, and especially since they turned on 800 in this area. People in other areas report slow speeds and such.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Grumpwagon posted:

Depends on where you are. I'm very happy with Sprint, ever since they turned on LTE, and especially since they turned on 800 in this area. People in other areas report slow speeds and such.

I'm in Iowa and frequently far from interstates for work travel. I remember when they started coming out with LTE towers and even joined that lte rollout forum to search out towers. Even with a few fast towers service still stank.

Edit: LTE towers started rolling out in my are only shortly before my contract up but I remember Verizon being night and day.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

catspleen posted:

I'm in Iowa and frequently far from interstates for work travel. I remember when they started coming out with LTE towers and even joined that lte rollout forum to search out towers. Even with a few fast towers service still stank.

Edit: LTE towers started rolling out in my are only shortly before my contract up but I remember Verizon being night and day.

I did RAGBRAI last year in the North part of Iowa and service did suck. Not sure if it has changed since then, but it wasn't good.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

My wife got a new iPhone 7 at a Sprint store over the weekend after losing her iPhone 5S in the river.

She previously had SERO Premium for many years, but they told her she couldn't keep that plan (no surprise to me, being in-store and all), and moved her up to a plan that's supposedly around $70 (3GB data?). The data's not much of an issue, since she only uses 1.x GB per month, but the extra cost is a drag.

I know SERO is a little bit dicey these days, but since she previously had a 5S and not a 10-year old dumphone, I'm wondering if she'd have any luck getting back to another kind of plan.

Any advice on getting to a better plan after making the mistake of buying a phone in-store and having your plan switched?

(I paid my ETF last year and am loving Google Fi, but she's an iPhoner, so she's kinda stuck with a different provider.)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I tend not to trust anything that store reps say because they're just looking for a way to get their commission.

Seems to me that your best bet is to call employee support and beg them to put her back on. At the very least she could get on the $60 unlimited freedom plan even though she'd have to suffer through optimized video streaming (but it sounds like that isn't an issue anyway given her low usage).

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
I just got an email my plan has been changed from Sero 500 to this Big XL deluxe plan... at almost double the monthly rate.
I haven't called Sprint or requested any changes since i switched to my Nexus 6P 3 months ago.

Time for a phone call...

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
and... supposedly fixed.
Apparently i "Activated an iPhone 7... then immediately switched back to the Nexus 6p, and upgraded the plan."

after a bit of threatening, and demanding a supervisor, supposedly i'm back on my Sero 500 plan. We'll see if it's the case in 24 hours.. They couldn't tell me where this happened though, just that it wasn't online or over the phone.. so some doof in a store may have tried to get some upgrade bonus, or entered a bad number, etc..

I clarified there was no bill for an iPhone 7 on the account, and that this was not a renewal for another 2 years.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Checked upgrade status on mah sprint account today, to find i'm not eligible until 2018... does not compute.
A little phone sleuthing (about 3 hours worth) found me that someone about 4 states away walked into a Cosco sprint kiosk to order an iPhone 7.. on my account. Sounds like Genius didn't to a great job verifying.. or didn't care when he saw a line upgrade, new contract, and phone sale staring him in the face.

Problem is, the sprint agent can't actually figure out which costco this happened at, or cancel the order.

So there's an open order for an iPhone 7 on my account that will be delivered to someone in person when it arrives at a costco they can't identify. GG guys.

There's now a fraud case open, which should get me a response within "3 business days". Would love to hear the story that they arrested them for fraud when they went to pick up the iPhone.. but unlikely.

God drat i hate these people, but if some fighting every few years keeps me paying $50/mo for unlimited service... i guess it could be worth it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I keep looking for reasons to leave and not finding them. I'm on a 5 line unlimited data family plan that works out to be $48 a month per person after all fees. With our level of data usage, that's well below any alternative I've been able to find, pre or post paid (with the exception of the T-Mobile nerd plan, but we're in an area where Tmo can't deploy their good frequencies, so their service will never be good here).

Their coverage and speeds continue to be decent around here, price is low.. I guess I shouldn't complain, but every time I have any sort of interaction with their employees, in store or on the phone, it's horrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

catspleen posted:

I live in Seattle, WA and Sprint is actually perfect here. It's LTE 99% of the time and really fast. I still want to abandon them though for lying to me about my lease on my Galaxy S5 and for having very dishonest and sketchy billing and leasing practices.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I live in Seattle, WA and Sprint is actually perfect here. It's LTE 99% of the time and really fast. I still want to abandon them though for lying to me about my lease on my Galaxy S5 and for having very dishonest and sketchy billing and leasing practices.

In all honestly, you think any of the other carriers don't have this problem?

Maybe Google Fi or something, but they really aren't part of the Big 4.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the poo poo with Sprints website listing multiple leasing options, a monthly payment buy option, and a full purchase price option but not a contract option? Googling news articles makes it seem like the contract option is still a thing. Is sprint trying to hide a good deal from me? Is the contract a shittier deal?

This is for the 128GB iPhone 7 that my wife wants to upgrade to. What is the $10 service credit? Any why doesn't buying the phone at full price show that my bill would be lowered by $10 per month to compensate?

If I purchase a sprint compatible iphone 7 separately and then bring it to Sprint for activation will I be able to get my monthly bill reduced?

Currently we are on an Everything Data 1500 plan with a $20 discount per month due to an employee discount from her work. (if this is relevant)

This all seems like a very complicated way to gently caress me over.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is for the 128GB iPhone 7 that my wife wants to upgrade to. What is the $10 service credit? Any why doesn't buying the phone at full price show that my bill would be lowered by $10 per month to compensate?

If I purchase a sprint compatible iphone 7 separately and then bring it to Sprint for activation will I be able to get my monthly bill reduced?

Currently we are on an Everything Data 1500 plan with a $20 discount per month due to an employee discount from her work. (if this is relevant)

This is just paying for the phone. Your plan is separate and additional.

The phone is $750. You can choose to buy it outright or rent it (for 17 or 18 months).
If you want to buy it, you can pay for it all at once, or spread it out in 24 payments. ($100 plus 24 payments of $27.03 is $750)

Sprint is offering you a (small) deal if you finance/rent the phone through them. That's all the $10 credit is going to be.
They want you to take advantage of this deal so that they can lock you into a rental/sales contract (which probably has additional terms)

Of course, you can choose to buy a phone elsewhere. As long as it will work for Sprint, that is not a problem

Ideally, you should be able to keep your plan after switching the phone. This was not a problem when I did it, but I did it in person.

So basically: figure out the phone you want, how you want to pay it. The plan is separate.
It's a little less nice in the old days of "free phone with a 24 mo contract," but phones are too expensive for that now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the response.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Called employee care direct and they gave me the same run-around trying to activate an iPhone 5c on my SERO 500. Eventually got to a manager who made some pretty pathetic offers to try to get me to upgrade to the $60/month SERO Unlimited and I told him I'm just gonna go to Google Fi.

Anybody manage to activate a phone on their SERO 500 recently? If I can't do this on the fourth try I'm finally leaving Sprint after like 10 years, lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mellowjournalism posted:

Called employee care direct and they gave me the same run-around trying to activate an iPhone 5c on my SERO 500. Eventually got to a manager who made some pretty pathetic offers to try to get me to upgrade to the $60/month SERO Unlimited and I told him I'm just gonna go to Google Fi.

Anybody manage to activate a phone on their SERO 500 recently? If I can't do this on the fourth try I'm finally leaving Sprint after like 10 years, lol

I was able to activate my 7+ on an employee plan no problem via the web chat a couple of weeks ago.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

e.pilot posted:

I was able to activate my 7+ on an employee plan no problem via the web chat a couple of weeks ago.

Right but was that SERO 500?

Real answer is to call and act like you will terminate service, then see if the retentions department can activate it for you. Either Sprint wants your business or it doesn't; let them figure out how badly.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

e.pilot posted:

EDIT: where did you buy the 7+?

I have a dark feeling they're ramping up the cutoff. I keep seeing reports of people managing it in September/August and people having less and less success recently. The people on the phone keep giving me excuses of "the plan is expired" and "the system literally won't let me do it" and I have a hard time telling when I'm leaning on some poor clueless rep and when I'm actually doing the dance with someone that could potentially fix the problem for me.

The manager sounded pretty loving halfhearted with the offers. I guess they don't want my business that bad. :[

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mellowjournalism posted:

EDIT: where did you buy the 7+?

I have a dark feeling they're ramping up the cutoff. I keep seeing reports of people managing it in September/August and people having less and less success recently. The people on the phone keep giving me excuses of "the plan is expired" and "the system literally won't let me do it" and I have a hard time telling when I'm leaning on some poor clueless rep and when I'm actually doing the dance with someone that could potentially fix the problem for me.

The manager sounded pretty loving halfhearted with the offers. I guess they don't want my business that bad. :[

Apple Store, settled for the normal black, didn't feel like waiting for the gloss black since it lives in a case anyways.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Does anyone use Google Voice with Sprint integration on an iPhone? Long story short, I've been an Android user for 6 years, but I am so loving sick of this poo poo that I'm about to abandon ship. I hate the iPhone 7 (IMO no headphone port is the dumbest loving thing ever, courage my dickhole), but I can get the 128GB iPhone 6S with a contract for only $200. However, I'd like to know how Google Voice integrates with the iPhone, or if there are any problems with it. I noticed that the GV iPhone app was updated in June, so hopefully it still functions to an extent, but I just want to be sure it won't give me a headache. I've also Googled around for info and the information seems rather sparse. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

pliable posted:

(IMO no headphone port is the dumbest loving thing ever, courage my dickhole)

Yikes. Is that where you're planning on plugging in your headphones instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

pliable posted:

Does anyone use Google Voice with Sprint integration on an iPhone? Long story short, I've been an Android user for 6 years, but I am so loving sick of this poo poo that I'm about to abandon ship. I hate the iPhone 7 (IMO no headphone port is the dumbest loving thing ever, courage my dickhole), but I can get the 128GB iPhone 6S with a contract for only $200. However, I'd like to know how Google Voice integrates with the iPhone, or if there are any problems with it. I noticed that the GV iPhone app was updated in June, so hopefully it still functions to an extent, but I just want to be sure it won't give me a headache. I've also Googled around for info and the information seems rather sparse. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks!

I use it and I haven't had any problems with it. I remember with my SG4 I had the option to choose which number to call from after I dialed but to call from GV you have to do it through the app. I'm sure there might be an option to set it up on your phone but I use it that way for work (click2call through app).

Hope this helps.