Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Not sure if this is the right place but I have a Verizon Moto Z Force and it seems Verizon is randomly installing games/apps to the phone. Google said to disable "DT Ignite" but I don't appear to have that. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

Retail availability is supposed to be the 20th. So, 26-28 arrival date makes sense if they ship out on the 20th.
Pending with 10/26-28 here as well.
Probably arrival date, with ground shipping. Hopefully they'll ship from the same point as the chromecasts do, I got mine next day even with standard shipping. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-reportedly-suspends-galaxy-note-7-production

Samsung has reportedly ceased Note 7 production.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol: What a gongshow

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Introduced next month: the Galaxy Note S.

Note 7 with a new faceplate.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

All the PR awards for the timing of the announcement

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hopefully they figure out a solution for the battery, then give deep discounts to get rid of remaining stock.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

They couldn't have picked a better time to dump the news. A+ messaging.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Seeing as people are saying Samsungs are blowing up, not Note 7s, the question is: how badly is Samsung toast?

Probably not at all. Considering how many people post in this thread (and that I know IRL) complaining about their Samsungs only to buy another Samsung, no one will care.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hughmoris posted:

Hopefully they figure out a solution for the battery, then give deep discounts to get rid of remaining stock.

If you think regulators would let the market keep potential time bombs out in the wild, you are high.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Endless Mike posted:

Probably not at all. Considering how many people post in this thread (and that I know IRL) complaining about their Samsungs only to buy another Samsung, no one will care.

Hasn't the market for those "hoverboards" effectively exploded since they started catching on fire?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't want Samsung to die since they're the one who make the best SSDs right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I don't want Samsung to die since they're the one who make the best SSDs right now.

Those aren't the same company.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I get the feeling they just updated the firmware for a green battery icon and didn't do anything to actually mitigate the fires.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Oh my god Samsung is not going anywhere as a company. Do people actually think they're this fragile and small?!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mu Zeta posted:

Hasn't the market for those "hoverboards" effectively exploded since they started catching on fire?

Hoverboards aren't produced by a multinational conglomerate that makes everything from cell phones, to televisions, home appliances... and motherfucking heavy shipping vessels.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god Samsung is not going anywhere as a company. Do people actually think they're this fragile and small?!

It definitely can devastate their cell phone division though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

It definitely can devastate their cell phone division though.

People have been referring to the company as a whole, or their SSD division, etc

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung are going to be fine. No one cared when updates stopped iPhones from making phone calls. People will always buy what they like. The Note 8 Unexploding Edition will sell just fine. That's just the way these things work.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mu Zeta posted:

Hoverboards were a fad toy that weren't going to last longer than six months even without the fires.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung decides to rebrand the Note line at this point, though.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 10, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Samsung Press Release: "We're really sorry about all those Note 7's catching on fire and burning people, to show how much we care about safety and our customers we have removed that product from our lineup. We will also be lowering the price of our S7 and S7 Edge products(which don't catch on fire btw) for a limited time by $100! We here at Samsung really care about our customers!"

Pretty sure everyone will forget about the Note 7 fires in about 2 seconds if they did this. One thing consumers seem to care about more than anything else is saving a few bucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sethsez posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung decides to rebrand the Note line at this point, though.

Oh yeah, most likely.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/samsung-note7-update.htm

quote:

While Samsung investigates multiple reports of issues, T-Mobile is temporarily suspending all sales of the new Note7 and exchanges for replacement Note7 devices.

Customers can still bring their recalled Note7 or the new replacement Note7, along with accessories they purchased from T-Mobile, to a T-Mobile store for a full refund and choose from any device in T-Mobile’s inventory. We’ll waive any restocking charges, and customers who purchased during pre-order can keep the free Netflix subscription and Gear Fit or SD card they received.

Customers should visit a T-Mobile retail store to begin the return process. For additional questions, customers can call our customer care line at 1-844-275-9309.

Again, we encourage customers to stop using and power down their recalled devices and return them to T-Mobile.

To help offset any additional costs our customers may have incurred throughout this process, anyone who returns their recalled Note7 will automatically receive a one-time $25 credit on their T-Mobile bill within two bill cycles.

Customers can learn more at t-mo.co/Note7_Recall.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-7-sales-suspended-721002/

In addition to US carriers AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon ceasing Note 7 sales.

Australian carriers Telstra, Vodafone, and Optus have done so as well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/560luq/replacement_samsung_galaxy_note_7_phone_catches/d8fhh2s?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

If this investigation is valid, it's something in the kernel that's causing the phone to overcharge and cause battery degradation.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's most likely not, as people have pointed out. Other phones have the same values set and aren't exploding. Also, you'd hope that some bad kernel code couldn't override hardware interlocks, but then again...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samsung is fine, people will forget about the exploding Note 7 by the time the Note 8 rolls around. No one outside of internet forums gives a poo poo. If this were the iPhone though, that would be a totally different story, there would be congressional hearings that Tim Cook would have to attend and everything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Samsung is fine, people will forget about the exploding Note 7 by the time the Note 8 rolls around. No one outside of internet forums gives a poo poo. If this were the iPhone though, that would be a totally different story, there would be congressional hearings that Tim Cook would have to attend and everything.

Late night shows have made jokes about it. Every person who has taken a flight in the U.S. in the last whatever (few weeks? month?) has heard an announcement that for safety you cannot use a Samsung Note 7.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Late night shows have made jokes about it. Every person who has taken a flight in the U.S. in the last whatever (few weeks? month?) has heard an announcement that for safety you cannot use a Samsung Note 7.

And it still doesn't matter. Most people have no idea about which phone explodes. I mentioned it to several friends and they just go what? If you read this thread you aren't the average/majority user.

I powered down my Note. Verizon actually doesn't have anything official about returning it so I'm back to using the beast aka Nexus 6

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I predict with 70% confidence that Samsung phone sales take a dip for a phone generation or two before going back to their "natural" sales rate.

Consumers in general don't care, have a short memory, and/or figure that the next generation will be fine.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

I predict with 70% confidence that Samsung phone sales take a dip for a phone generation or two before going back to their "natural" sales rate.

Consumers in general don't care, have a short memory, and/or figure that the next generation will be fine.

My dad has been a Note user since the Note 2. I've sent him every article posted here to dissuade him from his annual upgrade to the Note 7, including the ones showing that even the replacement "safe" ones are still having the same issue. He just responds with, "Okay I'll just wait until they fix it then". D'oh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm mostly interested in seeing how the remainder of this pans out. Samsung halted production for now, but what happens when they resume? Carriers already stopped giving out Note 7 devices on exchange. I don't know that any amount of "No, really, we fixed it this time" from Samsung is going to get them to start selling this model again.

The best thing Samsung can do right now is kill this model, have an independent 3rd party verify what they find as the cause, and have them be transparent about what they are doing on the next generation to prevent it from ever happening again.

The Note 7 though, is done. Nothing they can do can redeem the model, it's time to cut losses and move on.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
So with the Pixel turning out to not be the phone of everyone's dreams and Samsung royally botching things with the Note 7, what's everyone's opinion on Sony's new Xperia XZ? I'm not too knowledgeable on how far a Snapdragon 820 and 3GB of RAM gets you, but the phone has an SD card slot, IP68 rating, and a really great camera. With my Z3C I've found Sony to be pretty hands off with their skins and apps, though they are slow in rolling out Android updates. Granted this all comes in at $700, but I think you can do a lot worse.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 10, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The biggest issue with Sony is that everything but their gaming division is teetering on insolvency so you really don't know the future of that device after each quarterly earnings call.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shoren posted:

So with the Pixel turning out to not be the camera of everyone's dreams
Where are you seeing that?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

anakha posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/560luq/replacement_samsung_galaxy_note_7_phone_catches/d8fhh2s?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

If this investigation is valid, it's something in the kernel that's causing the phone to overcharge and cause battery degradation.

People there keep reposting that guy's story, but it seems like a stretch to me that something as simple as that would be totally overlooked by highly paid Samsung engineers but caught by a random Reddit nerd.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ilkhan posted:

Edit: vvvvv this. Dunno how I managed to type camera instead of phone

Shoren fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 10, 2016

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

ilkhan posted:

From context I'm pretty sure he means "phone" not "camera"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LifeSizePotato posted:

People there keep reposting that guy's story, but it seems like a stretch to me that something as simple as that would be totally overlooked by highly paid Samsung engineers but caught by a random Reddit nerd.

Never attribute to malice what you can with everyday incompetence/accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Pixel looks like a decently solid phone with an over hyped camera