Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah. there have always been wannabe "culture critics" who loving HATE batman/super heros movies/comics/games/etc. it kinda of a fad with them. yeah some of them have good points. but most of its about the violence and "toxic masculinity"(sure its loving real but i dont think batman or captain america are it) or how people will become right wingers because of it. most of them are bunch of selfhating leftie west coasters.
I remember someone bashing Mad Max Fury Road because it was violent :psyduck:

It was that Macintosh guy who posted his opinion on the Feminist Frequency twitter like a coward to get the blame on his friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Andro Dunos posted:

The best thing about this is CineD doesn't even follow their own obnoxious cartoony advice. Filmmakers often DO come out and explain their films, but the insecure CineD retards willfully ignore any evidence that runs contrary to their half-baked theories, including explicit statements from the author. I've seen more than a few threads like that. So they're both arrogant and hypocritical.

Yeah, you can interpret something any way you want, it's a free country and no one can control your thoughts, but don't be a oval office when someone points out that your interpretation is unsupportable and based mainly on your own schizophrenia.

Also CineD constantly confuses subtext and symbolism. They can't even get the terminology right. Any college freshman who has taken a film or lit class would know the difference, but apparently every CineD poster fell asleep during that class.

Fortunately for autists everywhere there's "the death of the author" argument, which they can invoke to pretend movies aren't often made as part of an ongoing conversation, of which the author is as much of a part as their work.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JB50 posted:

I hate how in recent films (not just Batman) theyre doing this thing where they argue that the heros ARE the problem because the bad guys come to fight them. Thats like saying the police are the problem when people commit crimes. Its a dumb argument, and if the heros werent there youd all be slaves or dead.

Goku literally decides to stay dead at one point because by his reasoning he's the one putting Earth in danger because he's so fight crazy and powerful he keeps attracting insane psycho monsters to the planet

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

steinrokkan posted:

Fortunately for autists everywhere there's "the death of the author" argument, which they can invoke to pretend movies aren't often made as part of an ongoing conversation, of which the author is as much of a part as their work.
If I write something culturally significant, every page is going to have a footnote that says *gently caress death of the author listen or read to any interview about this book for the real legit context of my work

Its like how people always say the ending of The Killing Joke is ambiguous or that Batman killed the Joker despite their being a script from Alan Moore saying that the ending is just him and Joker laughing maniacally

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Of course, but then that cartoon in their rules section is irrelevant. Either the filmmaker's statements matter or they don't.

CineD wants to have it both ways, conveniently whichever way supports their position at a given moment.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Superhero movies are dumb and people who enjoy them are dumb.

Stop pussyfooting with the b-b-b-but-my-saturday-evening-with-my-friends-escaping-from-the-inevitability-of-death argument. No. Your're are dumb.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Super is the only good superhero movie, and he's not even a superhero he's just a goony loser with a pipe wrench.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Man just shut up, if everyone thought like this idiot movies like Demolition Man and Super wouldn't exist.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

Man just shut up, if everyone thought like this idiot movies like Demolition Man and Super wouldn't exist.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

If I write something culturally significant, every page is going to have a footnote that says *gently caress death of the author listen or read to any interview about this book for the real legit context of my work

Many authors put things into their work that they themselves don't know the meaning of. Intentionally.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/30937/famous-novelists-symbolism-their-work-and-whether-it-was-intentional

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
demolition man loving rules if any of you haven't watched it you should go and watch it because if rules

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:agreed:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nanomashoes posted:

Many authors put things into their work that they themselves don't know the meaning of. Intentionally.

This is pretty much David Lynch's whole MO, everything he does has things which just come to him through his subconscious and he puts it in. The box from Mulholland Drive doesn't really "mean" anything it was just something that he imagined so he threw it in, and BOB from Twin Peaks was a character he made up on the spot when he saw the set designer moving a bed.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Goku literally decides to stay dead at one point because by his reasoning he's the one putting Earth in danger because he's so fight crazy and powerful he keeps attracting insane psycho monsters to the planet

Finally something I'm an expert on.

This whole line of reasoning is basically crap tho and only someone as simple as Goku could believe it.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

I dont like thing

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

I feel like the mom who keeps saying "no candy before bed time! It's not good for you!" and you're all "but moooooooooooommmmm!!!!!!"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

It was that Macintosh guy who posted his opinion on the Feminist Frequency twitter like a coward to get the blame on his friend.

She dropped him like a bad habit and now he's trying to do his own thing I think.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I feel like the mom who keeps saying "no candy before bed time! It's not good for you!" and you're all "but moooooooooooommmmm!!!!!!"

demolition man rules, actually

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Super is the only good superhero movie, and he's not even a superhero he's just a goony loser with a pipe wrench.

It's also the only movie I know of that Ellen Page isn't terrible in.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's also the only movie I know of that Ellen Page isn't terrible in.

Watch Hard Candy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

achillesforever6 posted:

nah she sadly believe that part too. I think alot of her stuff is decent, but holy poo poo some of her reviews and opinions are loving awful and or retarded. her stuff has gotten alot better after that joker left though.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

She dropped him like a bad habit and now he's trying to do his own thing I think.

yeah its some patrion that makes less then 200 per video. and then he begs and bites at troll bate and edgelords on twitter.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
lol some nimrod itt is actually trying to say demolition man is bad

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

lol some nimrod itt is actually trying to say demolition man is bad

Not just demolition man, man.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Mike and Jay in a shady grove with little streams of golden light moving through the trees as branches sway. Mike opens a picnic basket and...it's full of ice cold beer!!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

what is your opinion of demolition man specifically?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That 16 year old is dumb. The point isn't intentionality, but the fact that even your speech is coded and influenced by your beliefs, sub conscious, and wicked mental illnesses.

If you want to keep people from interpreting, analyzing, judging, or commenting on your work, just take a vow of silence or seal yourself in an air tight box and breathe.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

proof of concept posted:

demolition man loving rules if any of you haven't watched it you should go and watch it because if rules

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

proof of concept posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejDJfW_2FJg

Posted sincerely as proof that it is a great movie.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Capntastic posted:

Mike and Jay in a shady grove with little streams of golden light moving through the trees as branches sway. Mike opens a picnic basket and...it's full of ice cold beer!!

And? How does Jay react?? Don't leave me hanging like that!!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Command Ant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejDJfW_2FJg

Posted sincerely as proof that it is a great movie.

pro click :respek:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

THE BAR posted:

And? How does Jay react?? Don't leave me hanging like that!!

Jay leans in close and puts his arm around his friend's shoulder.

"We're going to have a great day, friend. I'm glad we decided to not watch a movie today."

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

im afraid you may have bad opinions

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
There's a new HitB it's about HBO or something who cares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcrvXD8uCZg

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

FedEx Mercury posted:

I care about Jay's hair.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Are they trolls or do they not understand that studios don't get 100% of the gross?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Woden posted:

Are they trolls or do they not understand that studios don't get 100% of the gross?

Uuuuuuuuugh their box office breakdowns were ridiculously simplistic. Just worthless.

Their segment on second weekend drop offs was also worthless because there's also films that only have a tiny drop off and even films that make more money in their second weekend, they're not all making 50% less.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 10, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

FedEx Mercury posted:

It's still funny to hear them rag on Ghostbusters. It's really the only entertaining thing to come out of the movie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Zzulu posted:

kylo ren can't become a hero. He's already done too much bad guy stuff. At best he can become the Vegeta of the franchise

Kylo Ren can't become the Star Wars version of Vegeta, because Vegeta is actually cool

Star Wars could definitely use a Vegeta or Piccolo, though

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Mike was never able to make a good Bridget Jones Baby joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

a bone to pick posted:

Looks like Mike was never able to make a good Bridget Jones Baby joke.

Come back October 2017.

• Locked thread