Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Him: *blushes* "What'll it be today?" *blushes*
Me: "Look, we've talked about this." *draws daggers and self immolates like the Human Torch* "I'm just not that into you."
Him: "Come again soon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The romance system is great. Being able to accidentally have your character be gay for a clown, or end up in a relationship with a random misandry bandit with no unique dialogue is beautiful. I once ended up with Aelinore despite having thrown her off a cliff to her death.

Also, I love how they hide treasure in almost any place you can possibly reach. There are so many little nooks and crannies hidden everywhere on the map and it makes screwing around and just climbing all over the rooftops in Cassardis or Gran Soren feel really rewarding.

Miijhal has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Oct 10, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Can't you also resurrect a certain character in the game, and the plot actually accounts for it?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I played DDO and I wouldn't exactly call it a sequel, just like a Dragon's Dogma 1.5, but it still owns like hell.

Suuuuuper loving grindy, but it's an asian MMO so it's to be expected. Mitigated by the fact that Dragon's Dogma is a solid action game at its core so it's kind of hard to gently caress it up.

e: the Alchemist is the coolest loving class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nOoADmf8k

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Afaik your beloved can also be the rich dude's 14yo daughter because the quest you do with her also builds her affection.

Dragon's Dogma: SVU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I tried REALLY hard to get Mercedes the French armour lady as my romance, I even gave her the ring that's meant to lock her down, but I got the drat pink princess at the end despite barely talking to her except for that one quest that doesn't open up until you go to fight the dragon :argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I undestand it, the game checks your true love as the last person whose affinity you maxed out. So if you do Mercedes's stuff, max her out, and then do Aelinore's, Aelinore's the one taking a dragon limo to your wedding.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I undestand it, the game checks your true love as the last person whose affinity you maxed out. So if you do Mercedes's stuff, max her out, and then do Aelinore's, Aelinore's the one taking a dragon limo to your wedding.

It's actually the person with max affinity you last spoke to (apart from one or two people, like the Duke). So you can spend hours romancing Mercedes, do her missions, avoid all the other major characters until you're up to the mission that locks it in, and still gently caress it up by talking to that one random shopkeeper.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mercedes is also really hard to get as your true love at the end because she disappears from the game about 2/3rds of the way through. So you have to totally max your affinity with her, and then be very careful not to max it with anyone else because they'll override her and you'll have no way of getting her back because she's vanished into the ether.

It is a hilariously simple and poorly thought out system and that's why I love it. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

It is a hilariously simple and poorly thought out system and that's why I love it. :v:

This seems to be a reoccurring thing where simple and possibly too free systems tend to be the best thing. Like the spell crafting in elder scrolls. Take some magic, pick how hard you want it to cast and way to go. Sounds great. What's that, you want to enchant your armor to do a thousand fire damage? Go ahead!

Gitro posted:

Afaik your beloved can also be the rich dude's 14yo daughter because the quest you do with her also builds her affection.

Dragon's Dogma: SVU

Your beloved can also be the rich dude.

Rescue your beloved, Arisen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My third time through I had a dumb gimmick and my beloved was the dwarf jester. It was the best.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

dordreff posted:

It's actually the person with max affinity you last spoke to (apart from one or two people, like the Duke). So you can spend hours romancing Mercedes, do her missions, avoid all the other major characters until you're up to the mission that locks it in, and still gently caress it up by talking to that one random shopkeeper.

It makes doing a 100% quest run and getting your dream waifu/husbano a practical impossibility. If you want to get either Mercedes, Madeleine, Quina or Aelinore (sure there is a few more) as your bond there is a point where they are completely gone from the game until that point in the main story. And if you decided to do another quest that maxes out affinity welp, too bad. Especially if you choose to do Reynard's questline, which ends literally at that point where its decided who your lover is and it maxes out his affinity.

Nuebot posted:

This seems to be a reoccurring thing where simple and possibly too free systems tend to be the best thing. Like the spell crafting in elder scrolls. Take some magic, pick how hard you want it to cast and way to go. Sounds great. What's that, you want to enchant your armor to do a thousand fire damage? Go ahead!

Your beloved can also be the rich dude.

Rescue your beloved, Arisen.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

That game had the best save guy.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mega Man Legends is pretty much what I think I about when I think back nostalgically to PSX, early 3D graphics.

I've been playing Dragon Age Origins again for the first time in about 6 years. Lots to complain about. But I can really appreciate the work put into changing the story depending on what party you have, and at what point you trigger events.

One in particular is about your Qunari (big, strong warrior guy), Sten.

I've been playing 2 files so I could see both angles:

1st game, I talk to Sten in my camp, and he lets me know that he lost his sword. And in his culture, your sword is linked with you when you become a warrior, and you'll basically be executed if you lose it. So you can offer to find it. He tells you where he lost it, and you can go there. You find a guy that knows who picked the site clean of loot. From there you can go and meet that guy, and he'll tell you where the sword is. And you can go and get it.

2nd game, I went to that scavenger before I knew anything about that plotline; though, I had Sten in my party. As soon as I talked to him, he was shocked and scared of Sten, but wouldn't say why. When I left his shop, he said, "Good!! I mean... come again?"

I appreciate the thought that went into that, and any of the other hundred scenes that had to be planned out that way. I poo poo on Bioware a lot about it's failure to fulfill its stated goals, re: choices, dialogue, story, etc. But this kind of thing makes me really enjoy the time I play. They could have easily just had that character act like a normal vendor if you didn't have the quest prompt yet.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
You can sell your gold in Morrowind. You can haggle over the price. You can convince people to buy your gold for more than your gold is worth.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Silly n'wah, of course the Dunmer would be first to invent exchange rate rigging :smug:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gitro posted:

You can sell your gold in Morrowind. You can haggle over the price. You can convince people to buy your gold for more than your gold is worth.

Wealth beyond measure, outlander

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gitro posted:

One of my favourite "little" things in TES games overall is how they can switch from awesomely atmospheric and immersive to completely bugfuck retarded in a heartbeat. One moment I'll be riding around gorgeous snow-capped mountains in Skyrim, just admiring the view and swaying to the beautiful soundtrack, and the next moment I'm watching a giant launch a bandit into orbit due to buggy ragdoll physics. And then I go to a shop and steal everything from under the shopkeep's nose, because he can't see me. Because I put a bucket over his head.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nuebot posted:

What's that, you want to enchant your armor to do a thousand fire damage? Go ahead!

What's that, you want to enchant a zero-weight hat to do continuous fire damage to anyone that wears it, so you can reverse-pickpocket it onto people? Sure!

(This was actually a thing you could do in Oblivion, and NPCs would often choose to wear it rather than their normal unenchanted hats/helmets.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite little thing in Skyrim is leveling up my crafting stats by making a fuckbillion normal-rear end daggers made out of leather and steel and then selling them to the same guy I bought the materials from for like three times the price.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nordick posted:

, and the next moment I'm watching a giant launch a bandit into orbit due to buggy ragdoll physics.

I think I read somewhere that the devs loved the launching into orbit thing so much they patched the game to stop it from crashing when it happened, but kept the physics untouched.

CJacobs posted:

My favorite little thing in Skyrim is leveling up my crafting stats by making a fuckbillion normal-rear end daggers made out of leather and steel and then selling them to the same guy I bought the materials from for like three times the price.

At least its not an MMO economy, where raw materials are more expensive then the end product cause raw materials gets you experience :haw:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

What's that, you want to enchant a zero-weight hat to do continuous fire damage to anyone that wears it, so you can reverse-pickpocket it onto people? Sure!

(This was actually a thing you could do in Oblivion, and NPCs would often choose to wear it rather than their normal unenchanted hats/helmets.)

I really hope they bring it back for the next one because spell making and enchanting was so much fun. It's not like Elder Scrolls has any kind of balance when you can make a potion of fortify alchemy and just chug your way to +10000000 alchemy then make a fortify whatever you want potion and drink that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You really can just bust the game over your knee that way. Fortifying potions stack on each other so eventually if you dick around with them enough something like this will happen:

through which process you can then do this:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Now I'm curious about the white bars. Spoilers? Particularly obscene custom name?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Now I'm curious about the white bars. Spoilers? Particularly obscene custom name?

I'm betting on weird fetish mod.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AlphaKretin posted:

No idea, it's just a screenshot I grabbed from google.

Nuebot posted:

I'm betting on weird fetish mod.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

m2pt5 posted:

This is how I would kill guards with impunity. Chill in their bedroom, wait until the sleep then give them the ole flaming hood. Wake them up and they'll immediately change from their pajamas to the armor, death hood included, and burst into flames saying poo poo like GOOD MORNING citizen while their health drains away. Then the flop over and die. Usually the others would go berserk and run at 400% speed around looking for someone to arrest.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inzombiac posted:

My third time through I had a dumb gimmick and my beloved was the dwarf jester. It was the best.

Spoiler alert (also don't watch this with your mom looking over your shoulder, it gets hot and heavy halfway through)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

people posted:

*hilarious TES shenanigans*
This is exactly what I was talking about :allears:

The enchanting and spellmaking in the older games was really something special. Even the devs apparently had fun with it, I remember this unique sword in Morrowind that had both a calming and frenzying effect on a hit. So you'd whack someone with it, they'd aggro for a second, then calm down for another second, then aggro again etc and it was just the funniest poo poo.

In Oblivion I had trouble keeping track of enemies in dark dungeons so I enchanted a sword to cast a weak light effect on a hit so it made enemies glow in the dark.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Morrowind devs definitely leant into the ridiculousness of their engine. One of the first NPCs you see is dead from using boosted jump skills without a way to stop himself careening to his death, miles from where he jumped from.

The correct way to play TES is to break it as soon as you can. Enchant everything with Chameleon was a good way to ruin Oblivion.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Nordick posted:

This is exactly what I was talking about :allears:

The enchanting and spellmaking in the older games was really something special. Even the devs apparently had fun with it, I remember this unique sword in Morrowind that had both a calming and frenzying effect on a hit. So you'd whack someone with it, they'd aggro for a second, then calm down for another second, then aggro again etc and it was just the funniest poo poo.

In Oblivion I had trouble keeping track of enemies in dark dungeons so I enchanted a sword to cast a weak light effect on a hit so it made enemies glow in the dark.

As with the giants with the clubs, putting a bucket on a merchants head to stop him from seeing you stealing from him was considered a bug by Bethesda who then went "Yeah but this is neat so we are not going to spend man hours trying to fix this thing, you crazy kids enjoy." Magnanimous or lazy, you decide!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Talk like this almost gets me to play Skyrim again but then I try to and it's just uuuuuuugh, the combat. My god. The problem I had was not knowing how to break the game so I'd sometimes get my rear end kicked by things. And that's no fun.

I only have it on console, btw. So, yeah.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

One day we'll get a game like TES, but with combat that's not floaty unsatisfying garbage. Something like a DmC-lite level of combat (with some more customisation) would be perfect. Dragon's Dogma would be a step in the right direction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

well why not posted:

One day we'll get a game like TES, but with combat that's not floaty unsatisfying garbage. Something like a DmC-lite level of combat (with some more customisation) would be perfect. Dragon's Dogma would be a step in the right direction.

That or a nice Action game-ish feel. Like Mad Max. Only, instead of a counter button you've got block and dodging.

oh wait, that's exactly what you said

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd just like to be able to enchant, and also airjuggle fools. Actually, the new Zelda might be a real contender.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That Elder Scrolls with less lovely combat was supposed to be Kingdoms of Amalur, but that didn't really work out that way

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Talk like this almost gets me to play Skyrim again but then I try to and it's just uuuuuuugh, the combat. My god. The problem I had was not knowing how to break the game so I'd sometimes get my rear end kicked by things. And that's no fun.

I only have it on console, btw. So, yeah.

Skyrim is really geared towards bows and stealth. Even if you stealth melee dudes, whole dungeons will go on alert. They won't see you because you're invisible as long as you crouch, but they're running around looking for you because melee is hosed. Ranged though? You shoot a dude, he dies instantly. If someone else sees it happen then they'll wander around for a few seconds then reset.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sorry I came in here with negativity! I was reading another thread talking about TES games and got confuddled.

Paper Mario Color Splash's dialogue is super on point, for the hour or so I saw of it, goodness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Skyrim is really geared towards bows and stealth. Even if you stealth melee dudes, whole dungeons will go on alert. They won't see you because you're invisible as long as you crouch, but they're running around looking for you because melee is hosed. Ranged though? You shoot a dude, he dies instantly. If someone else sees it happen then they'll wander around for a few seconds then reset.

I disagree, Skyrim is disproportionately designed with big burly man-heroes in mind. Archers have edges to them in certain ways, particularly when both your sneaking and archery skills are well-raised, but there's just no situation where it feels like sticking a big two-hander through somebody's skull isn't the intended and preferred way to do things in the developer's mind.

I think we can agree that mages are totally hosed and useless, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feonir posted:

As with the giants with the clubs, putting a bucket on a merchants head to stop him from seeing you stealing from him was considered a bug by Bethesda who then went "Yeah but this is neat so we are not going to spend man hours trying to fix this thing, you crazy kids enjoy." Magnanimous or lazy, you decide!
it's fun and I'm generally glad they embrace it, but at the same time it's really frustrating to see them get a free pass on buggy, janky nonsense because "oh that Bethesda, 10/10 GOTY haha full of silly stuff" where less popular developers get slammed mercilessly for lesser bugs