Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I took a trip to Seward, Alaska near the end of July to visit a friend working for a marine tour company for the summer. We went on the 8 1/2 hour glacier cruise and saw a lot of really cool stuff. Seals and sea otters and such in the wildlife thread.

I continue to be really impressed with the Nikon 200-500mm lens. It wasn't easy shooting from a moving boat but the lens is a champ.

pictures from the Alaska SeaLife Center (non-wild):

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Regarding photos not being sharp on tele lenses.

I have a Canon 300 F2.8 IS II and have the same problem. I have taken thousands of photos of birds with this thing, both stationary and in-flight, and with all kinds of settings (1/200 at F2.8 to 1/2000 at F8) at all times of day. I don't think i have taken a single photo i am satisfied with, in terms of photo quality. Not a single photo i have taken "pops" (e.g. like the swimming puffin photo in the previous post)

In the beginning i chalked it up to inexperience with long rear end focal length (i use the 300 with 1,4x and 2x TC's mainly, but use it at 300 occasionally as well) but photos have not really improved as i have been using it, and it has almost been a year since i bought it now.

I don't think it is my camera as my Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II is extremely sharp on photo after photo, even with the 1,4x (heck, the best bird photos i have taken are at 280mm with the 70-200 and 1,4x TC).
Also, since i have taken photos with great quality at 280 with the 70-200 but are unable to with the 300 i don't really feel its a telephoto inexperience issue either.
On the other hand, with the 300 and 2x TC, on a tripod and manual focus using live view at 10x magnification i have taken sharp photos of the moon.

I have been on the fence about asking as i suppose i feel that someone that buys a $7000 lens should not be asking questions about how to take sharp photos but right now this thing is just acting as a paperweight as i take the 70-200 out with me instead.

Could it really be a AFMA issue?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ineptitude posted:

Could be, yeah. Its definitely worth trying it out. Its a relatively common thing for people to send their lens and body to Canon to be calibrated when they get a new supertele. That 300 2.8 IS II should be killing it. I would definitely set it up on a tripod, do some testing to see where its falling short and do some AFMA. Maybe see if there's a local camera tech in your area. Here in Portland, there's a repair shop that will do a calibration and basic camera servicing for like $60, you might have something similar where you live.

Kenshin posted:

I took a trip to Seward, Alaska near the end of July to visit a friend working for a marine tour company for the summer.

Thats an awesome friend to have. Nice stuff!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

More shorebirds are returning to Humboldt Bay. The Long-billed Dowitchers are back.

dowitcher-worm by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

dowitchers-reflection by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The camera-friendly Great Blue Heron at Arcata Marsh was letting me hang out nearby, but then it got perturbed by a Great Egret in its new favorite fishing spot and took off to give chase.

gbh-takeoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

wader-chase by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A sandpiper explosion in slow motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBt0qGD-d9c

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Hummingbirds and bushtits this morning in Discovery Park.

500mm, ISO 500, f/5.6, 1/2000 sec

500mm, ISO 1100, f/5.6, 1/3200 sec

500mm, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/4000 sec

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 14, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Regarding photos not being sharp on tele lenses.

I have a Canon 300 F2.8 IS II and have the same problem. I have taken thousands of photos of birds with this thing, both stationary and in-flight, and with all kinds of settings (1/200 at F2.8 to 1/2000 at F8) at all times of day. I don't think i have taken a single photo i am satisfied with, in terms of photo quality. Not a single photo i have taken "pops" (e.g. like the swimming puffin photo in the previous post)

In the beginning i chalked it up to inexperience with long rear end focal length (i use the 300 with 1,4x and 2x TC's mainly, but use it at 300 occasionally as well) but photos have not really improved as i have been using it, and it has almost been a year since i bought it now.

I don't think it is my camera as my Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II is extremely sharp on photo after photo, even with the 1,4x (heck, the best bird photos i have taken are at 280mm with the 70-200 and 1,4x TC).
Also, since i have taken photos with great quality at 280 with the 70-200 but are unable to with the 300 i don't really feel its a telephoto inexperience issue either.
On the other hand, with the 300 and 2x TC, on a tripod and manual focus using live view at 10x magnification i have taken sharp photos of the moon.

I have been on the fence about asking as i suppose i feel that someone that buys a $7000 lens should not be asking questions about how to take sharp photos but right now this thing is just acting as a paperweight as i take the 70-200 out with me instead.

:stonk: Mine is insanely sharp at 300, excellent at 420, and pretty good at 600. Does the lens have the latest firmware update? There was a change to the AF algorithm.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's a scorcher today in Seattle, so I went out in the relatively cool morning (relatively) for a bit of quiet birding.

And seriously, this lens is so great. This is a 1:1 pixels cropped image:

500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000s, ISO-720

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That's pretty impressive for a zoom at the long end while wide open. Nice work getting those closeups of shy birds, too.

A few from around Humboldt Bay:

pelican-downward by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

snowy-wings by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

heron-buddies by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

pelicans-mist by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I picked up a used D500 from B&H, and I'm putting it through the paces this weekend. The autofocus system is a HUGE step up from the D800's, and it's been able to get a focus lock in some very challenging situations. I'm still getting the AF fine tune dialed in and playing around with the settings to figure out what works for me, but I was able to get a swallow flying toward the camera in focus for the first time in my life yesterday.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The Peregrine Falcons on Humboldt Bay have one fledgling this year. It came to Arcata Marsh to try hunting a couple times, but I didn't see it catch anything.

peregrine-n00b-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The weather has been really gloomy since then, but I had some nice close encounters with the parents while they chased sandpipers.

falcon-sandpipers 4 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

falcon-sandpipers 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

falcon-sandpipers 5 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Western Sandpipers settling back onto the rocks after the falcons left:

sandpiper22 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Been in Austalia, birds there are fantastic.

Crimson Rosella by King Dugga, on Flickr

Australian Brush Turkey by King Dugga, on Flickr

Osprey by King Dugga, on Flickr

The osprey was playing with its partner, they got ridiculously close. I think they steal scraps/get fed from fishermen because this one wasn't bothered at all when we walked right past it the first time. I should have set my shutter speed higher though, because there's just a bit of motion blur. Not used to shooting birds!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

One of the only birds I got a good look at in Big Bend National Park this past April.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Corellas

So I went for a drive recently with my friends, 30 or so of these guys flew into the tree above us when we stopped to barbeque lunch. They were in pairs like that. It was kinda cute, but then we heard this weird rear end noise

:nws:
Getting Frisky wid it

they were noisy as hell and right above us, as we were eating. Australia is cool I guess.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I did some video recording this morning while in Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge.

I'm still getting used to audio settings with the microphone (thus the hiss--I shouldn't be using auto-gain when it is so quiet outside!) and the motion/balance with the gimbal head mount and a super-telephoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtm8hz90sJQ

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

I did some video recording this morning while in Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge.

I'm still getting used to audio settings with the microphone (thus the hiss--I shouldn't be using auto-gain when it is so quiet outside!) and the motion/balance with the gimbal head mount and a super-telephoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtm8hz90sJQ

That heron did a great job not to eat any salad. Cool vids!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

:nws:
Getting Frisky wid it

they were noisy as hell and right above us, as we were eating. Australia is cool I guess.
He looks like he's into having people watch.

I spent a couple afternoons staking out the shorebird gathering spots during high tide. The falcons showed up.

peregrine by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 4 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 6 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 9 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Of course, it had to make a kill in the one corner of the lake that I couldn't see from my position, then fly away from me to go eat its catch.

peregrine 7 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The look on his face is the only reason I kept and uploaded the photo.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A Swallow or two

Swallow by Marc, on Flickr

Welcome Swallow by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 9, 2016

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

:drat:

Vaux's Swifts are in town! :3: I'll probably go out a third night in a row to try slower shutters speeds since this was pushing even full frame light limits. A few 1/160 test shots worked pretty well since they slow way down fluttering in.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Flocks of birds are fun. The Purple Martins in Austin can be quite spectacular. (This is from July 26, 2014)

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 13, 2016

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Bit of a dumb question but is using a polarizer when shooting birds on water a good idea? i've been debating getting one but 95mm filters are not particularly cheap and would hate to find out after the fact that i spent over a hundred dollars on a useless filter.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Bit of a dumb question but is using a polarizer when shooting birds on water a good idea? i've been debating getting one but 95mm filters are not particularly cheap and would hate to find out after the fact that i spent over a hundred dollars on a useless filter.
Yes especially for sunny days, and I need to buy one too, but haven't yet because they are pretty expensive.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Yes especially for sunny days, and I need to buy one too, but haven't yet because they are pretty expensive.

Any suggestions for what to look for when looking for a filter? So far I've seen some are multi coated and others are single coated. Since I don't beating them too badly I might opt for the single coat.

I've been looking at b+w and they offer some with higher transmittance and if it means the same as it does in science land they that would simply mean that they let more light in. Does that mean they are less effective at polarization?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Any suggestions for what to look for when looking for a filter? So far I've seen some are multi coated and others are single coated. Since I don't beating them too badly I might opt for the single coat.

I've been looking at b+w and they offer some with higher transmittance and if it means the same as it does in science land they that would simply mean that they let more light in. Does that mean they are less effective at polarization?

Good coatings and glass let more light through, bad ones let less through. So higher transmittance doesn't mean less effective at polarization, just better materials. And single coated filters will flare more when a light source is in the frame (or just outside of it) than multicoated ones.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

You're losing 2 stops of light right off the bat by using a circular polarizer, so any differences from the coatings and glass used will be pretty much inconsequential as far as overall transmission is concerned. Uncoated surfaces tend to wash out the color and contrast from an image, though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Embarcadero on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

"I'm thinking of moving to Portland. If you want to rent my filth-encrusted ledge, it's $3500 per month."

Brown Pelicans fishing, captured at 120 frames per second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApy7Vg5zRY

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

warbler-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

juvi-incoming by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-incoming by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

grebe-running2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-sunset 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

egret-wing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Wow, those are fantastic.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

yippee cahier posted:

Wow, those are fantastic.
Thanks. I'm feeling pretty comfortable working with the D500 now, and it's getting some nice shots in situations where the AF system on my old camera would have just gone hunting.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

King Vulture, Costa Rica

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

What a wild-looking bird.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Everything about that bird is super cool and weird.

He looks like a stern old lady dressed up in furs.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Low passes at a falconry demonstration.

IMG_2615.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2737.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2419.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Spring in Australia means it's fairy wren season :)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That second shot is adorable, toggle.

A big school of smelt found its way into Arcata Marsh's brackish pond, so the wading birds are going nuts there.

ge-smelt by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-swallow 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-grab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ge-face 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-shake 2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hahaha that looks like the best most enjoyable shake.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

Hahaha that looks like the best most enjoyable shake.
Egrets and herons are always getting their feathers wet while fishing, so they are masters of the full-body shakeout.

ge-shakeout2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

snowy-fluff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

gbh-shake by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

I think this is about a 4th year bald eagle

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2016

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A reminder to be safe out there. There have been a few recent assaults/snatch and runs of high-end camera gear in the Bay Area. Nothing new really, but if you are out alone, be mindful of other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Couple of smallish shore birds

variable oystercatcher by Marc, on Flickr

NZ Dotterel by Marc, on Flickr