Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I appear to be taking the same approach with this game as I did with TIS-100: perform competitively in the first few levels and feel good about myself, before giving up and muddling my way through the rest with hilariously bad designs that somehow work.

Kaislioc posted:

Holy gently caress Device 2A27. I've dropped 24 yuan and 11.6k power on it and I still can't loving :suicide:

Divide and conquer.

Handle the X axis and the square separately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

How the gently caress are people doing traffic signalling in what looks like 9 yuan from the histogram? Sure, it looks like it should be easy with logic gates, but then you realise that you have to restart the cycle every time an emergency vehicle goes by. I ended up sticking an I/O expander on the output, using an MC6000 and an MC4000 to initialise some RAM with the sequence of values to send to it, and then using another MC6000 to cycle through the RAM sequence checking for zeroes in the process. That took me 16 yuan.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kaislioc posted:

Holy gently caress Device 2A27. I've dropped 24 yuan and 11.6k power on it and I still can't loving :suicide:

Ok, interesting. My 10 yuan and 1k power kludge is mid range. I would offer the opinion that you may need a fresh approach there ;)

GotLag posted:

I appear to be taking the same approach with this game as I did with TIS-100: perform competitively in the first few levels and feel good about myself, before giving up and muddling my way through the rest with hilariously bad designs that somehow work.

I'm just getting through them all first to get everything unlocked. Once I have all the toys I can go back and try to beat high scores.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

pumpinglemma posted:

How the gently caress are people doing traffic signalling in what looks like 9 yuan from the histogram? Sure, it looks like it should be easy with logic gates, but then you realise that you have to restart the cycle every time an emergency vehicle goes by. I ended up sticking an I/O expander on the output, using an MC6000 and an MC4000 to initialise some RAM with the sequence of values to send to it, and then using another MC6000 to cycle through the RAM sequence checking for zeroes in the process. That took me 16 yuan.

Mine is 9 yuan: One I/O expander, one MC6000 (that does nearly all the work), one MC4000. No RAM is needed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Morholt posted:

Mine is 9 yuan: One I/O expander, one MC6000 (that does nearly all the work), one MC4000. No RAM is needed.

(More traffic control talk)
And here I was planning a crazy 3-CPU ring structure. Actually I find the RAM idea clever, since I first thought "ROM would be handy", but then remembered the dials. The RAM version sounds like it'd be pretty good at power.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

OddObserver posted:

(More traffic control talk)
And here I was planning a crazy 3-CPU ring structure. Actually I find the RAM idea clever, since I first thought "ROM would be handy", but then remembered the dials. The RAM version sounds like it'd be pretty good at power.

Yeah, my approach to the traffic control was to have one processor load a microprogram into RAM, adjusting for the dial values, then the other processor executes the program, aborting if the emergency signal is active.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
This game scratches a (very aggravating) itch for me! I just finished the Drinking Game scorekeeping thing after staring at it for twenty minutes last night. I laid in bed and thought through the steps of what I was doing, then had to resist the temptation to get back up and finish the puzzle. I completed it in a shameful 780 power usage but this was a first completion - did it the brute-force-ish way with one component for each input that both send an XBUS signal to a third, which actually tracks the score, which is (I'm assuming) both the obvious and inefficient way to do it. I'm glad to have the leaderboards in this game!

Mild optimization of the same thing, I realized that both of the small components on the left had only 5 instructions in them, so I collapsed them into one of the larger components and used "acc" to track the status of the "point" input and "dat" to track the other one, which managed to cut a beefy 60 power off of my design, woohoo, still at the bottom!

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 9, 2016

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I unlocked the prototype game sandbox and some of these parts aren't even in the manual. What is this strange rear end box with 4 p-inputs? How exactly does this gamepad work??? What in god's name is even going on here :psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I unlocked the prototype game sandbox and some of these parts aren't even in the manual. What is this strange rear end box with 4 p-inputs? How exactly does this gamepad work??? What in god's name is even going on here :psyduck:

N4PB-1000: Pushbutton, sets simple bus to 100 as long as it's held down.

N4SW-1000: Toggle switch, sets simple bus to 100 when in "on" position.

N4DL-1000: Constant generator, supplies the shown value on XBus whenever you read. The value can only be adjusted when the system is running, not when designing.

N4GP-1000: Gamepad with 8 buttons. A numeric value is printed on each button. When you press a button down, it outputs the button's value on XBus, when you release a button it outputs negative the button's value on XBus. The bus is async, reading from it when there isn't any input gives value -999.
(Example: Press Start (Enter), next read from the bus will return 8. Any further reads will return -999 until you release the button or press another button. When you release the Start button it generates -8 on the bus.)
Simple demo circuit.

???????: Random generator, has just one connected pin (simple bus) which changes to a random value 0 to 100 each cycle.

LX100R/G/A/W: Single-color LED, simple bus input and lights up the amount corresponding to the bus value.
LX300RGB: RGB-LED, three inputs corresponding to the additive primaries.

N4BZ-1000: Buzzer speaker, when given a simple input greater than 0 it produces a tone, the frequency depends on the input value.

LX700: 2½ digit 7-segment LCD display (range is -100 to 100), displays the same value until it receives a new one on XBus. Sending -999 to it turns off the display.

LX900C: Custom LCD display, you can make your own raster for this.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 9, 2016

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Does anyone have any hints for Color-Changing Vape Pen aka COOL DAD!!!? I seem to have hit a wall here. My first attempt was with one MC6000 processing whats coming in on radio-rx, sending off each of the 3 color data packets to 3 different MC4000s via xbus, and trying to use one simple bus to control on/off for each using a simple bus but I can't come up with a means of continually looping outputting to the LED until a new xbus packet comes in, since waiting for data on xbus is locking, and only one value can be sent on simple bus for each slp cycle.

I've considering trying to also send the on/off commands via xbus, which would allow me to send a special command to break out of the output loop and go back to waiting for incoming new color data, but then I'm up against some major space constraints trying to route everything and it's getting quite expensive, with 4x MC4000 and a MC6000.

I know I'm missing some better way of handling it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NickPancakes posted:

Does anyone have any hints for Color-Changing Vape Pen aka COOL DAD!!!? I seem to have hit a wall here. My first attempt was with one MC6000 processing whats coming in on radio-rx, sending off each of the 3 color data packets to 3 different MC4000s via xbus, and trying to use one simple bus to control on/off for each using a simple bus but I can't come up with a means of continually looping outputting to the LED until a new xbus packet comes in, since waiting for data on xbus is locking, and only one value can be sent on simple bus for each slp cycle.

I've considering trying to also send the on/off commands via xbus, which would allow me to send a special command to break out of the output loop and go back to waiting for incoming new color data, but then I'm up against some major space constraints trying to route everything and it's getting quite expensive, with 4x MC4000 and a MC6000.

I know I'm missing some better way of handling it.
Simple IO holds its value. So for Cool Dad's Cool Vape pen, you send intensity once on a simple IO to the LED pin, and don't touch it until the specified time is up or a new packet comes in. That's fairly simple to do with conditionals if you understand you only need to mov to a simple IO when you receive a packet or when the timer runs out. Its kind of a tutorial on how to turn xbus packets into an array of simple IO output.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

zedprime posted:

Simple IO holds its value. So for Cool Dad's Cool Vape pen, you send intensity once on a simple IO to the LED pin, and don't touch it until the specified time is up or a new packet comes in. That's fairly simple to do with conditionals if you understand you only need to mov to a simple IO when you receive a packet or when the timer runs out. Its kind of a tutorial on how to turn xbus packets into an array of simple IO output.

Perfect, that's just what I needed. Thank you!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone know if there is a German word for "feeling of almost solving a puzzle except for being unable to find a way to connect a pair of pins?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why look to German when the relevant comparison is your feng shui is off.

Don't feel bad, my feng shui is awful as well.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 9, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Everything in this game is just a little bit too small. Your code doesn't fit by one instruction, the board is one column too short to fit your components, and your head just isn't big enough to wrap itself around whatever other problem you're having.

It makes it very satisfying when you do get everything to fit together.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

zedprime posted:

Wait. You can run wires under chips? I got all the way to security nightmare without realising that, then. :doh:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Everything in this game is just a little bit too small. Your code doesn't fit by one instruction, the board is one column too short to fit your components, and your head just isn't big enough to wrap itself around whatever other problem you're having.

It makes it very satisfying when you do get everything to fit together.

One instruction short keeps costing me hours. I'm trying to get through all of them unlocking parts, then go back and fiddle once I have all the toys. Then I waste time trying to rearrange or find a trick to get a space instead of split the problem and slap another MC on.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Watching all your X-ray screenshots I realize that connecting pins to wires that run directly under the components is a thing that works. That would have helped a lot in some of the later levels!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh hey, a new Zachtronics game. Think I'll check this out and play a few minutes before I go back to shitposting about the debates.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

zedprime posted:

That is good feng shui.

Bridges are admissions of failure, and in my opinion should cost like 1 yuan or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
On the very first version of the game Thursday morning they did cost 1.

Now that I've learned you can out the wires through corners and stuff certain things have gotten way way easier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thorium is driving me loving barmy and oh my god it's 2 30 in the morning.

Here's where I'm at so far, someone please give advice. Paused on the second sim, it gets through the first. I understand what's wrong but not what to do about it, i.e. to make the first chip take priority by shutting off the second chip's signal.

(edit) Nevermind, figured it out

Histograms suck but idc i'm tired

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 10, 2016

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

The three stages of SHENZHEN I/O solutions:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I got the "SafetyNet" final puzzle (I think?) solved last night. It ended up being really tight on timing, depending on NOPs and funky instruction re-ordering, even some redundant operations, to get all the MCs synced up properly. Both functions in my implementation work by having shared access to memory banks. The location reporting sets the address pointer in a ROM bank to point to the appropriate value, using modulo wraparound of addresses and special casing for the central area. The radio connection then takes one micro-cycle longer to reach the read from that bank, so the sector ID can be reported in the same I/O cycle. For the audio output, I write the length and audio data to a RAM bank, with connections to both address/data ports by the reader and writer. The reader is precisely synced to the writer, so the reader actually reads the audio length and first sample value in the same cycles as they are written to the RAM bank. I didn't think that would work but it's cool it does. There isn't any other sync between the radio input and audio output than reading shared memory, but if I can add a direct XBus sync I can probably save a lot of power on the audio output MC idling.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Living in rural New England, I always wondered how the farming simulator games were so popular. Who wants to spend their free time pretending to be working? Queue me blowing 6 hours this weekend optimizing power usage and debugging spaghetti code instead of shooting super mutants.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just started playing this last night, and it's making me feel even dumber than SpaceChem did.

My first working scorekeeper module (points/fouls):

It works, but my cost and power usage are way higher than is apparently possible. I tried it with just the MC6000 but couldn't store the state of both buttons and the score with only two registers.

The logic I used for the MC4000's is:
If the input is greater than it was the previous cycle, we know someone hit the button and send 100 to the MC6000.

Otherwise, either the button isn't being pressed, or it's still being held down from the previous press. Either way, we send 0 to the MC6000.

Then we store the current state of the button in the accumulator so we can check again during the next cycle.

I think my issue is with how I'm handling things in the MC6000.

Before I started using SLX <pin>, I couldn't keep anything in sync. I'd either have the display output show up one cycle too late, or I'd have a condition where there was nothing to display on the very first cycle.

I think I don't quite understand exactly how SLP works, and it isn't explained very well in the manual.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

slp 1 just pauses the chip until the next time unit.
All processors need to be sleeping for time to advance.

You don't need those slx instructions, just an slp 1 at the end of that chip.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dr. Stab posted:

slp 1 just pauses the chip until the next time unit.
All processors need to be sleeping for time to advance.

You don't need those slx instructions, just an slp 1 at the end of that chip.
When I tried the same layout without the slx, the MC6000 kept trying to evaluate the inputs before the MC4000's had time to calculate and send values.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Made an optimized version of the Security Nightmare, that is still fully spec compliant.

Looking at the scoring histograms I wonder if some of the cheapest/lowest energy cheat massively and just check some of the digits? (Like, just check the three first digits, surely that's sufficiently unique.) Well it would be fitting for the puzzle name...

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Another thing I just realized you can do: run traces under chips :3:

(code is useless just look at the p0 trace)

oh my god

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nielsm posted:

Made an optimized version of the Security Nightmare, that is still fully spec compliant.

Looking at the scoring histograms I wonder if some of the cheapest/lowest energy cheat massively and just check some of the digits? (Like, just check the three first digits, surely that's sufficiently unique.) Well it would be fitting for the puzzle name...
You can get away with murder in a lot of the input validation puzzles.

Its like the packet form in spoiler blocking headphones is asking you to cheat.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

WhiteHowler posted:

When I tried the same layout without the slx, the MC6000 kept trying to evaluate the inputs before the MC4000's had time to calculate and send values.

It's not blocking because it's processing values faster than they can be calculated, it's because it's never allowing time to advance. Each chip needs to hit a sleep instruction before the next time unit starts. You could equally have only one of those slx instructions, or an slp 1 at the end of the block.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dr. Stab posted:

It's not blocking because it's processing values faster than they can be calculated, it's because it's never allowing time to advance. Each chip needs to hit a sleep instruction before the next time unit starts. You could equally have only one of those slx instructions, or an slp 1 at the end of the block.
I thought that was what I tried before, but I guess my original design was using the basic I/O (p0/p1) pins with slp 1 at the end, and it was running into those timing issues.

Does the XBus work differently because it actually waits for an input?

Removing the slx lines saved 61 power.

When you unlock more components, can you then go back and use them in earlier designs? I don't see how people are doing this one at a cost of $4-5.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought that was what I tried before, but I guess my original design was using the basic I/O (p0/p1) pins with slp 1 at the end, and it was running into those timing issues.

Does the XBus work differently because it actually waits for an input?

Removing the slx lines saved 61 power.

When you unlock more components, can you then go back and use them in earlier designs? I don't see how people are doing this one at a cost of $4-5.

Yes, you can go back and use them. However....you can do that one with $3 and the components it comes with. :getin:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

Figuring out clever ways to cheat is half the fun of this game, IMO. For a lot of puzzles, I have, say, a ¥15 doorlock that does exactly what the customer wants, and then a ¥10 piece of crapeconomy option that uses a fifth of the power and will still unlock your room if you put the keycard in backwards.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 10, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yes, you can go back and use them. However....you can do that one with $3 and the components it comes with. :getin:
I kind of hate you for telling me this, because now I'm not going to be able to proceed until I figure it out.

Edit: Ugh, I'm not sure how to do this without having someplace to store the previous button state.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 10, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I kind of hate you for telling me this, because now I'm not going to be able to proceed until I figure it out.

I stayed up until 3am and did it in response to a co-worker telling me that, and his solution is still faster somehow.

Just paying it forward.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

You can cut corners on a lot of puzzles, but that one in particular when I realized just what you could get away with, I felt real real bad, its still reasonably within spec but its loving egregious.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I stayed up until 3am and did it in response to a co-worker telling me that, and his solution is still faster somehow.

Just paying it forward.
I'm pretty close to getting it using a single MC6000 -- just one too many lines of code.

Once I get that working, I'll give it a shot with an MC4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm pretty close to getting it using a single MC6000 -- just one too many lines of code.

Once I get that working, I'll give it a shot with an MC4000.
MC4000 small hint:
I had a line of code to spare!

• Locked thread