Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, but the answer to the question of "what's good on TV? " could be something like "the sopranos" or "30 Rock". I was wondering if there is some YouTube person or group that was generally considered to be excellent like a lot of TV shows are.

I guess I can recommend some stuff, but since I don't know you you might not like any of it.

Ashens does reviews of cheap toys, weird food and bad video games. Chainsawsuit do movie reviews and miscellaneous other stuff. Jon Tron does humorous reviews, mostly of video games.

Bored Shorts re-enact conversations between children. I think their old stuff was a lot better than the newer ones though. Convos With My 2-Year-Old is a similar concept but better.

CGP Grey does short educational cartoons. Every Frame a Painting is a show about film-making techniques. Tom Scott makes humorous and informative videos, mostly based around obscure trivia.

Cracked do a bunch of different comedy stuff.

Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time is a humorous cooking show. The Katering Show is a completely different style of humorous cooking show. My Drunk Kitchen is another. You Suck At Cooking is a fourth.

Simone Giertz makes dumb robots.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Tiggum posted:

CGP Grey does short educational cartoons. Every Frame a Painting is a show about film-making techniques. Tom Scott makes humorous and informative videos, mostly based around obscure trivia.

If you're turned off by the grating Youtube style of humor, this is the row to focus on. All three of these are genuinely excellent.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There's also Primitive Technology guy. Who doesn't talk at all or use any music.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Tom Scott is pretty good, although I do find his style a little grating at times (just personal preference I guess).

He sometimes shows up on the Numberphile and Computerphile channels, which are educational videos about various mathematical and computering topics usually presented by actual mathematicians and computer scientists. They're really good and a couple of my favourite Youtube channels. I recommend them as well.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Mighty Car Mods, Moviebob, Bad Obsession Motorsports, Explosm, Red Letter Media, Regular Car Reviews, Scishow, Big Think, Mental Floss, Skippy62able, that kinda stuff

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The only good youtube channel is Cooking with Dog.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This guy stuck his whole hand in a toilet full of mercury last week and is also digging his own lead mine.

BigClive enjoys blowing up cheap Chinese electronics a little bit too much.

This guy has 50,000 subscribers and all he does is scratch scratchcards.

Grav3yardGirl, aka Bunny will both deafen and exhaust you, but you will learn a lot about makeup.

God there's a lot of bits in a photocopier.

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Oct 10, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If we're doing a temporary PYF youtube channels:

Barshens features Ashens and some other bloke, together they mock weird news articles, have silly contests and dress up their friend Eli in cheap costumes.

Tim from Grand Illusions has spent decades collecting toys and novelties and is at least 87% likely to be Santa Claus.

Mark Brown analyzes game design and has an ongoing series about the dungeons in Zelda games in particular, in chronological order (of publishing).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks guys!

I'm a fishing nut but it seems like few if any of the youtube fishing guys have figured out how to deal with wind noise in their mics, which is just a total dealbreaker. I more or less gave up on youtube all together when it became apparent that "review" now just means "unbox a thing and mumble the entire time".

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

This is amazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want crazy gun poo poo, taofledermaus is your guy. His channel covers other stuff like playing with magnets and mercury, but the main draw is loading pretty much anything possible into a shotgun shell and seeing if it fires. Batteries? Gummy bears? Giant gummy bears? Nails? Pykrete made from toilet paper? Weird custom lathe-turned slugs made of solid steel in a bunch of different shapes? He's probably shot it if it fits.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah, there's also a man from Finland who owns a hydraulic press and does with it exactly what anyone would.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Most "good" YouTube content is laser-focused on a specific crowd or demographic rather than like film and television where it's targeted at a wider audience. You do have YouTube superstars but they're usually dinguses who get a zillion subscriptions from children and grandmas because they optimized their SEO to get clicks rather than actual quality.

My kid watches bottle flipping videos. Videos of grown-rear end men flipping half-filled bottles of backwash in what appears to be the exact same way every time. :shrug:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

So does this guy but he just sits there and smiles.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh yeah, there's also a man from Finland who owns a hydraulic press and does with it exactly what anyone would.

This chanel is incredibly pro-click, especially later videos where companies start sending him unusual things to crush. He even gets a transportable press to take on the road.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

canis minor posted:

So does this guy but he just sits there and smiles.

Someone broke into his house while he was making a video. He didn't move, just sat there smiling the whole time. The robber walked into the room, saw him, and peaced out without taking anything haha

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

What happened to all the memorabilia making fun of George W after his term was over?

It rots in the cellars and ends up in garage sales for $1.

I sometimes see a truck driving around that has a "A village in Texas is missing their idiot!" bumper sticker on it still.

Nettle Soup posted:

This guy stuck his whole hand in a toilet full of mercury last week and is also digging his own lead mine.

Cody's Mine is somehow incredibly fascinating to me. I think it's because he's such an enthusiast and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Also his videos aren't edited with obnoxious music or anything. He lives on a ranch in really rural Utah and has a couple series of ranch life videos. The ones about getting water when you don't have a well and aren't connected to city water are pretty good.

Hydraulic Press Channel has another channel called "Beyond the Press" where they do similar destructive stuff but with other tools.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's lots of good youtube channels. I'm a big fan of Hardware Canucks, which mostly focusses on reviewing PC cases and hardware. I also recommend people follow Polygon's youtube as it's 50:50 game news and weird comedy series that require little knowledge or interest in video games, just willingness to accept the McElroy brothers as the best thing online.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is my favorite YouTube channel

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Brain Scoop is an overenthusiastic museum worker who knows a lot about natural history and is pretty great if you're not squicked by dead stuff.

On a dumb marketing note, I keep thinking about how many PSA commercials there are about Tide Pods getting eaten by children. Was there a lawsuit or something? Why do people want to eat the pods so badly.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I assume because they have a pleasing color that kids would mistake for candy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tide pods were intentionally designed to hit those markers that we instinctively go for. Bright, colourful, shiny and juicy, everything our hunter-gatherer ancestors would be looking for while foraging for fruit.

A modern adult knows it's laundry soap, so the effect is just some vague sense of desire that doesn't seem to come from anywhere.

A toddler is still operating on instinct, and instinct says PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
At one point I was using both laundry and dishwasher pods. Someone helped me pack for a move and I ended up with an unmarked plastic bag full of unidentified pod. Eventually I figured it out by comparing with some laundry pods that were still in the package, but for a while there were these pods I was afraid to use.

That's my soap pod confusion story, hope you liked it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Good job being considerate to your blind customers:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Good job being considerate to your blind customers:

lol

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nettle Soup posted:

BigClive enjoys blowing up cheap Chinese electronics a little bit too much.
God there's a lot of bits in a photocopier.

If get bored after the ninth video on LEDs and you don't have the hearing range of a bat, then there is also Ave

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want crazy gun poo poo, taofledermaus is your guy. His channel covers other stuff like playing with magnets and mercury, but the main draw is loading pretty much anything possible into a shotgun shell and seeing if it fires. Batteries? Gummy bears? Giant gummy bears? Nails? Pykrete made from toilet paper? Weird custom lathe-turned slugs made of solid steel in a bunch of different shapes? He's probably shot it if it fits.

Demolition Ranch is in a similar vein and he seems to be having such fun.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Came here to recommend that one, his accent is also incredibly endearing.

I love Colin Furze, dude is a national treasure and if there is any justice in the world he should be getting a proper real TV show. He built a bunker in his back garden as well as, amongst other things, a freakin HOVERBIKE. He's like a big excitable Labrador dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxxPyaAT1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w

I really like the Slo-Mo guys too, they've done some hilarious videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMbM-ERy2Lk

I also enjoy Kim Justice, he does very long and incredibly detailed documentary style videos on the (mainly) British video games scene in the 80s/90s. His epic 4 part, 3 hour long assessment of Peter Molyneux is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAuvaAGnqQw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Ruth's Chris in Ann Arbor ran a promotion for the Michigan game: For every point by which Michigan beat Rutgers, you get a 1% discount.

Michigan wound up beating Rutgers by a score of 78-0.

Still might not be a disaster, buried in the "some conditions apply" fine print it turns out that the discount is capped at 50% and only applies to food, not alcohol. But a 50% food discount still has to put some hurting on a steakhouse.

http://i.imgur.com/sRHCKLZ.gifv

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Youtube chat: Turn your property into a auto wrecking yard for classic cars, smoke some weed and wonder if those cars will start.
https://www.youtube.com/user/coldwarmotors/videos

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Oct 10, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

spog posted:

If get bored after the ninth video on LEDs and you don't have the hearing range of a bat, then there is also Ave

Demolition Ranch is in a similar vein and he seems to be having such fun.

if you need yet another LED and electronics man with an accent channel there's also Julian.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Still might not be a disaster, buried in the "some conditions apply" fine print it turns out that the discount is capped at 50% and only applies to food, not alcohol. But a 50% food discount still has to put some hurting on a steakhouse.
The extent of the fine print when they announced the promotion was that the discount couldn't be combined with other offers, that groups and private dining was excluded, and that gratuities were based on pre-discount pricing. It was only after UM walloped Rutgers (go Blue!) that the steakhouse backpedaled on the deal.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/09/ruths-chris-steak-house-ann-arbor/

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

bongwizzard posted:

Cool, thanks guys!

I'm a fishing nut but it seems like few if any of the youtube fishing guys have figured out how to deal with wind noise in their mics, which is just a total dealbreaker. I more or less gave up on youtube all together when it became apparent that "review" now just means "unbox a thing and mumble the entire time".

Fishing, of a sort.

Edit: To get back on topic, I watch stuff on a firestick with no adblock and adverts shoved into the middle of videos are the worst thing ever.

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Oct 10, 2016

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So many good youtube channels! Here are some beautiful 'complicated mathematics for the non-mathematician' channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?numberphile?videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Vihart?videos

Just want to say I've been really enjoyed lurking this thread. Even the derails are interesting! Thanks guys.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Here's two really strange ones.

1) Robert Dyer is a rather odd but endearing man who reviews various snack cakes, fast food, and other assorted garbage American cuisine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCLc4Lton0q70o5Kfj2xoRcQ

2) A channel I stumbled across years ago. Best I can gather, it's a strange artist/drummer who lives somewhere in Finland. I enjoy him a lot. Click around on his page. Trust me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDkc6uoQhMo

fake edit: here is #2's wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kari_Tykkyl%C3%A4inen

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If we're doing PYF Youtube:

No Small Parts gives a short (but Internet long) biography on a number of character actors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC7sg9FpMWMamzWE2lJPY-Dg

Channel Criswell does really good video essays on movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCL5kBJmBUVFLYBDiSiK1VDw

Now You See It likewise does video essays on movies, but they are shorter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWTFGPpNQ0Ms6afXhaWDiRw

I like Postmodern Jukebox's music and they are really great live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCORIeT1hk6tYBuntEXsguLg

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

So Rickety Cricket finally ended up getting his Scuba license.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I just saw an ad on YouTube (cause I watch it on my Xbox) whereas some chucklefuck comes out and goes -

"I like three things - (apple brand), cinnamon, and getting my dick sucked!"

It was censored, but still. Aside from the problematic nature of having cultivators of apples advertise, as a woman I now associate that brand of apple with the selfish eagerness of chucklefucks trying to get their dicks sucked. I hope there's a alternate ad were some chicklefuck comes out and goes "I like three things - (apple brand), caramel, and getting my box eaten out!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

How is the concept of advertising for fruit "problematic"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Agean90 posted:

How is the concept of advertising for fruit "problematic"

For me at least, linking a particular brand of fruit with the taste of a sweaty cock doesn't do a lot for me.

YMMV, but I don't find it very appealing

('apPEELing'. Geddit?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In PYF Youtube, I recommend Techmoan. Techmoan is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlblGvNtOs