Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

bunky posted:

So is this game hosed for non-microsoft controllers or is it just me? I usually use a DS4 with DS4Windows and I'm getting no button prompts on screen. Also I can stream to my Shield TV and the prompt issue exists there too. On top of that, you can't bind controls to M4 or 5 if you're rebinding the goofy rear end keyboard controls. I wish there was an ini that I could edit.

I'm playing with a DS4 and had it working no problems with both DS4Windows and InputMapper (have one on laptop and the other on desktop). The only time I had problems was when trying to use a DS4 while playing over Steam Link.

Are you using 'exclusive' mode? If not try that, and there used to be a setting in DS4Windows like 'hide DS4 controller' or something, not sure if it's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm curious why I can run GTA V on high settings at 60 FPS but can only run this at medium settings at 30 FPS.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Verranicus posted:

I'm curious why I can run GTA V on high settings at 60 FPS but can only run this at medium settings at 30 FPS.

Have you changed the FPS cap off in display options?

Still might not help, I'm in the same position but with 15-20 FPS :negative:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Have you changed the FPS cap off in display options?

Still might not help, I'm in the same position but with 15-20 FPS :negative:

I did. The game seems very poorly optimized. I've run GTA V and Witcher 3 both at 60 FPS on high to max settings, so I really don't understand how a game that looks markedly worse than both of those can run so much worse at half the framerate.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Verranicus posted:

I did. The game seems very poorly optimized. I've run GTA V and Witcher 3 both at 60 FPS on high to max settings, so I really don't understand how a game that looks markedly worse than both of those can run so much worse at half the framerate.
We might need some more info - to give you an idea I'm getting 40-60 FPS with an i5, 16GB Ram, GTX 980, the game on a mechanical drive, at 2351x1323 ( DSR 1.5x ) with the settings at optimal except for motion blur off.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Is there goon consensus? How is in comparison to Mafia 2 - worse or better?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The things it does better vs the things it does worse are about even.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Definitely getting some more graphical/audio glitches in River Run. Maybe some areas are more stable than others?

Also getting some repetition fatigue, basically going stealth every time like this now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLByJngNwY

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

We might need some more info - to give you an idea I'm getting 40-60 FPS with an i5, 16GB Ram, GTX 980, the game on a mechanical drive, at 2351x1323 ( DSR 1.5x ) with the settings at optimal except for motion blur off.

It's your processor. They have a whole core dedicated to racism.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Since reflections look like dogshit, anyway, I suggest lowering that. You could easily net 10-20 fps from that alone.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's your processor. They have a whole core dedicated to racism.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mafia III - It's your processor. They have a whole core dedicated to racism.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Xeremides posted:

Since reflections look like dogshit, anyway, I suggest lowering that. You could easily net 10-20 fps from that alone.

Actually is has some of the best reflections I've ever seen outside of the mirrors. It looks like they use screen space reflections on the vehicles but there's very little artifacting so far and it all looks amazing.

But yes, if you need FPS it's a subtle thing you can lose.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Deakul posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mafia III - It's your processor. They have a whole core dedicated to racism.

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
I ended up buying this on PS4 and I regret it. This game is ugly as gently caress. & what is going on with the clouds?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is there any graphical/resolution difference between the Xboner and PS4 versions? I'm looking forward to buying the game eventually and if there's none I'll go with the former just because of the controller.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

ZombyDog posted:

I ran it almost flawlessly at 60FPS with *rare* dips into 50-40's. Playing on a laptop with 1070, i7 6700HQ, 16G Ram - game also on my HDD. (all settings max but 1080p)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

GUI posted:

Is there any graphical/resolution difference between the Xboner and PS4 versions? I'm looking forward to buying the game eventually and if there's none I'll go with the former just because of the controller.

Yeah people were saying xbone's 720 and PS4's 900.

Kontradaz posted:

I ran it almost flawlessly at 60FPS with *rare* dips into 50-40's. Playing on a laptop with 1070, i7 6700HQ, 16G Ram - game also on my HDD. (all settings max but 1080p)

I've got an i5 4460, a 970 and 8gb ram and I struggle to even get 30 on low. WTF?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 10, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You positive it's the right kind of RAM?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I can honestly say I don't know, and that's something I should probably check. Getting the wrong timing would be such a simple loving mistake, that I'd overlook.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
:It is an xbox joke:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got 'em!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
:negative:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I've got an i5 4460, a 970 and 8gb ram and I struggle to even get 30 on low. WTF?

No idea how cpu intensive the game is, but the 1070 is significantly better than the 970. That alone could explain the discrepancy. Well, that and the game is an unoptimized mess, with even the 1080 having issues. Little of column a, a lot of column b.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Definitely getting some more graphical/audio glitches in River Run. Maybe some areas are more stable than others?

Also getting some repetition fatigue

You need to play less.

So anyway, the end story mission of each story block is really good. It's a loving shame they don't have more of this type of mission variety in the missions leading up to it. Which basically leaves you with 95% hack down filler and about 5% of substance. But the 5% is worth it to slog through. The end of the Enzo campaign mission was loving fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What other variety is there to put in? The only thing I can think of are some one time minigame set pieces in gtav. Everything else was driving to a place and shooting.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Bad Parenting posted:

and there used to be a setting in DS4Windows like 'hide DS4 controller' or something, not sure if it's still there.

That did the trick, thanks!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Cojawfee posted:

What other variety is there to put in? The only thing I can think of are some one time minigame set pieces in gtav. Everything else was driving to a place and shooting.

Compare and contrast GTA missions and the differences (story missions). They needed to add variety leading to the end story arc of each story set piece aside from deplete and kill.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Not sure what the point of comparing hardware is, the game is objectively worse looking by a large margin than games like GTA V and Witcher 3, and runs far worse than them. It's just poor optimization.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Not sure what the point of comparing hardware is, the game is objectively worse looking by a large margin than games like GTA V and Witcher 3, and runs far worse than them. It's just poor optimization.

Just so people understand just how hosed this game is in terms of optimization:

http://wccftech.com/mafia-3-benchmark-nvidia-gtx-1080/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That means Mafia 3 will be the new benchmark game.

The human eye can't even see more than 47fps anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Despite it being hard as gently caress to go back to 30FPS after having got used to 60 on everything, I plan to chip away at the game if only to see the story bits.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I got a r9 390 and not only does it run better on low it also looks better :v:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

tap my mountain posted:

I got a r9 390 and not only does it run better on low it also looks better :v:
That's just because of the retarded as gently caress AA settings they offer. TXAA is a plague.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Qmass posted:

That's just because of the retarded as gently caress AA settings they offer. TXAA is a plague.

Someone got poo poo for bringing it up before, but reshade is worth using for lumasharpen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well that's goddamn bizarre. I have almost the exact same setup (slightly better haswell i5) and I'm getting 50-60 on Max at 1080p

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Do I unlock somebody that can deliver me my last car? So stupid that your car isn't marked on the map or anything.

I like the concierge though, that's a neat idea.

In a way this reminds me of Saint's Row 1. Janky as hell, but their heart was in the right place.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
i5 2500K, 8Gb, 970, and I'm getting 40 to low 50's completely maxed at 1080. Maybe your drivers or something are borked.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Do I unlock somebody that can deliver me my last car? So stupid that your car isn't marked on the map or anything.

I like the concierge though, that's a neat idea.

In a way this reminds me of Saint's Row 1. Janky as hell, but their heart was in the right place.

Not your last car, but bringing Burke on board gets you a list of cars and you unlock a couple more.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Just finished. Holy poo poo watch through the credits.

Fantastic story. One of the best told in games. Fantastic voice acting. Great character building. Fantastic music. And the end missions in each story arc / district were very fun to play through. Execution was horrible, bugs were plentiful, and the PC version is still a train wreck. Too many filler missions doing the same thing over and over and needed variation in the mission structure during those times leading up to the final mission, of which all were very good. Just needed a lot more of them.

But the story (especially the last scene after the credits) made up for the monotony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Do you need to give someone a district every time to open up their next sidequest? Does that mean you can only complete one underboss' side missions?

• Locked thread