Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I guess we're doing this now

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Blood Dragon inspired Wolf3D mod/clone, pls

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, last night I found a secret ending in Reelism? There were dogs barking a song for me.

man in the eyeball hat posted:

Blood Dragon inspired Wolf3D mod/clone, pls

I'd like to see that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Also, while not 'Early':

Couple days later but thanks for the heads up on the Hard Reset sale. I liked the original well enough for what it was, but not quite enough to not lose interest half way through the DLC. Hopefully with this 'GOTY' edition I can just plow through to the end. I hope they beefed up the ballistic weapons a bit, they looked and felt better than the electric guns but all the enemies are robots so they were weaker to the latter.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

On my last playthrough I was using mostly electric guns, mostly railgun and the shoots-through-walls gun, with healthy dose of regular shotgun and rocket launcher. Early game is based mostly on crowd control, so you have to use mortar a lot. One of the first upgrades you need to buy is the nano radar, so you'll have chance to grab more upgrade points.
Don't bother with the sword.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Visited my parents this weekend and found a gem from childhood. I must have read this thing cover to cover more times than I can count, unfortunately the cover has fallen off and isn't really attached anymore.

Is there a scan of this anywhere? I could make one when I'm home again during the winter

E- one of the more fun pages I remember. If I did a proper scan I'd do better than these, this is just CamScanner on the couch.

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 10, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hahaha nice find

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember seeing that in middle school at the computer lab, my friends would mash up the words to create fun, important phrases like "I spy dead dog poo poo!" while the supervisor sighed in shook his head at us.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

My goodness, the good folks at id really didn't know German at all. I only know it from school and a month-long visit to Germany, so I wouldn't dare say I'm any where near fluent, but some of that is spectacularly awful. On the subject of making scans of old FPS documentation, I've been debating whether or not to order an old Doom strategy guide my family used to have and trying to get it up on the internet archives.
It's this one for those interested.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"What about that tatoo on your chest. Doesn't it say 'Die, Allied Schweinhund, die'?"
"No, that's German for 'Die Allied pigdog, die'."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nftyw posted:

I remember seeing that in middle school at the computer lab, my friends would mash up the words to create fun, important phrases like "I spy dead dog poo poo!" while the supervisor sighed in shook his head at us.

Given how the translations aren't necessarily literal and there are differences between a noun and a verb (e.g. if you used "so spion" to mean "I spy"), I empathize with your supervisor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

"What about that tatoo on your chest. Doesn't it say 'Die, Allied Schweinhund, die'?"
"No, that's German for 'Die Allied pigdog, die'."

I... think you messed that one up :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha, that gun he's holding is amazing.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

"Oh look, ze Kleiner Amerikaner ist in ze hurry, wunder wer ist" *gunshots* argh! *drops 8-bullet clip*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

I... think you messed that one up :v:

"I simply meant 'The, Bart... The'".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I went back to Q3A and... I suck at it!

I used to be the king... now I can barely beat the bots. What's happened to me?! *stares at hands in disbelief*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I used to be the king... now I can barely beat the bots. What's happened to me?! *stares at hands in disbelief*

In my case I can say I'm not "doing the Dew" like I was in those days! Just sayin', double fist some Mountain Dew AMP energy drinks, you'll be back on top. (disclaimer: may cause insanity)

By the way thread I can't wait to dive into a world tour of Duke Nukem action tomorrow! The new episode is called "Alien World Order", sounds like a Queensryche album.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I have found that my best performance in Q3A is when I'm playing in a blind panic. My brother and I would occasionally play a game teamed up against some bots in order to keep in practice, and the one time he accidentally joined the bots' team I sort of crushed them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You've grown...

...old.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LogicalFallacy posted:

I have found that my best performance in Q3A is when I'm playing in a blind panic. My brother and I would occasionally play a game teamed up against some bots in order to keep in practice, and the one time he accidentally joined the bots' team I sort of crushed them.

That's pretty much what I'm doing now. I've managed to regain a bit of my old skills - my rocket and rail leading were way off at first, but after an hour or two I'm back in the game. Also it's weird that I can't consciously remember the levels, but my brain somehow remembers the 'circuits' you run through them to the best items.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sir Lemming posted:

My video card only has 512 MB of RAM, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm too lazy to go check what my processor is, but I haven't upgraded anything since I was playing all them "Cry" games we were just talkin' about.

Like I alluded to before, the demo of DOOM had an issue that made it nearly unplayable on my PC -- it would grind to a choppy slog every few minutes even on Low. But I was given the full version as a gift and to my pleasant surprise, it worked a million times better (still on Low of course). I think in between, they released the first major patch for the game, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. (Before anyone asks, I'm not using the Vulkan API. But it was part of that patch.)

I have no idea if they've also been patching the demo, so I guess it's kind of a crapshoot of anecdotal evidence unless you bite the bullet and try it yourself.
Tried the demo myself for the first time the other day! I noticed that the "classic weapon view" option was available - was that always there from the start?

Anyway - I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran at 720p on my under-spec laptop. Once I reached the "outdoor" portion of the demo, though, performance took a huge hit. Was there a big difference there in your experience?

Prob just gonna go for the PS4 version and enjoy a guaranteed 60FPS... gonna play some other console shooter first to see if I can readjust to gamepad controls though!!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour is out, I guess. Still waiting on a sale.

Doesn't yet work with EDuke32, which isn't that surprising, though it sounds like they're looking into it:

https://twitter.com/Hendricks266/status/785912877697949697

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

Well I guess we're doing this now

What's the source on these anyway?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Minidust posted:

Tried the demo myself for the first time the other day! I noticed that the "classic weapon view" option was available - was that always there from the start?

No, but it was added by the first patch.
http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-update-adds-old-school-gun-placement-later-this-week/

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Centered weapons improved my aim with the heavy AR so much it's one of my favorite guns now.

Also I love that with centered weapons Doomguy pulls the shotgun across his body to pump it, for no reason other than style points.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

So Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour is out, I guess. Still waiting on a sale.

Doesn't yet work with EDuke32, which isn't that surprising, though it sounds like they're looking into it:

https://twitter.com/Hendricks266/status/785912877697949697
Yay. Time to go gently caress up my hands again with keyboard controls.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RyokoTK posted:

What's the source on these anyway?

https://m.photofunia.com/effects/retro-wave

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of enhanced retro stuff, I've been playing around a bit with this experimental GZDoom build, which includes a couple features (physically correct lighting + specular highlights and SSAO) which aren't quite ready for prime-time yet. The results are really quite striking. It still looks like Doom, but just plain better.

https://github.com/dpjudas/dpDoom/releases/tag/ssao4

To make the improvements from SSAO more obvious in this comparison, I disabled textures. WAD is Valiant, map 01.

Adds a lot of depth and detail, doesn't it? It's not such a huge difference on very retro maps, but anything with fine details and greebling on the walls is hugely improved. These features should be added in the next major GZDoom update. This experimental build has a couple of problems, especially regarding mods that use different sound formats, so it's not compatible with a lot of big gameplay mods, but for anything vanilla-ish it's fine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You might want to give QZDoom a try. There's the same enhancements, plus a truecolor software renderer, and it shouldn't have the same sound issues as the SSAO test build.

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=196

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

You might want to give QZDoom a try. There's the same enhancements, plus a truecolor software renderer, and it shouldn't have the same sound issues as the SSAO test build.

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=196

Cool! Thanks! Yeah, seems to be a more advanced version of that test build. I seem to be struggling to get it to actually use OpenGL mode, though. The advanced software renderer seems really impressive though, nearly as good as GL!

Edit: Aaah, had to enter 'Vid_renderer 1' in the console. It defaults to the new-gen software renderer.

Edit 2: Ah, seems QZDoom has even better ambient occlusion, but doesn't have the high-end lighting model yet. Guess we're seeing a bit of an evolutionary period for GZDoom.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hyep! I'm digging SSAO on Doom plenty. I couldn't test on QZDoom though cause all I get is a black screen.

(With and without SSAO)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, the thing with SSAO is that it really makes detail stand out. Not that big an effect on old-school maps, but more modern ones, it really fleshes out the image.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of hacked-in ambient occlusion, the new Duke re-release is out now. Hopefully it gives that game's modding community a fresh burst of life, even if entirely out of spite.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Yay. Time to go gently caress up my hands again with keyboard controls.
Nevermind it has mouselook. I suppose it would have to if they want to draw in younger people. First couple maps are alright. Nothing super groundbreaking though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How hard would it have been to throw together the 3 add ons for Duke Nukem into World Tour? I would've shelled out for this, but 10 dollars more for literally half the content missing - ain't happening, buddy.

Even though Nuclear Winter is basically pointless. :)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Since I already purchased Megaton Edition, I can still install it again if I need to, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If it's in your library, you can install it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Negrostrike posted:

Hyep! I'm digging SSAO on Doom plenty. I couldn't test on QZDoom though cause all I get is a black screen.

(With and without SSAO)

maybe it's just me but I seriously do not see a difference in these screenshots at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jordan7hm posted:

maybe it's just me but I seriously do not see a difference in these screenshots at all.

Open one of the pairs in a new tab and then switch between them, the differences become pretty obvious. SSAO is a pretty subtle effect without something to compare it to.