Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whoa, what's changed with the caching on the app! It's taking up over 700mb on my phone. It never used to get that big. iPhone 6s+, 10.1

16gb phones are deprecated, time to upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Being on the beta is good I think. I think it clears the cache every update. I could be making this up though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soricidus posted:

16gb phones are deprecated, time to upgrade

:arghfist:I'm on the 64gb

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

With the forums getting proper mobile support I will refuse to use it. You can pry Awful from my cold fat gay dead hands.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When Lowtax first announced the mobile friendly version of the site, which sounded annoyingly convoluted, he couldn't give a good reason why they spent so much time on something that nobody essentially needed. "Not everyone likes apps" is the only response, which is funny because most people love apps. You'd never know that awful wasn't a first party, fully integrated thing as it runs so well on iOS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh there's something new happening? My comment is about the changes made a year or so ago. I'm sure the new stuff will be really good!*

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

zen death robot posted:

Basically I'm confirming that whenever the new forums rollout happens (I do not know what timeline we're looking at) the existing apps won't work because everything will be different

Well that's a shame. Hopefully Lowtax and Pokeyman will be able to work out some kind of official client, I'd hate to lose my dedicated app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably not. I've read the announcement now, screams of the same situation I've seen a bunch of times where all the effort is being put into things nobody minds (the forums software being out of date isn't a big deal to virtually anyone) and the aftermath will probably kill the place as the user base splits between those who don't mind the changes and those who finally move on. What a shame.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Basically I'm confirming that whenever the new forums rollout happens (I do not know what timeline we're looking at) the existing apps won't work because everything will be different

Are you going to be able to provide access to staging forums and their API before you roll out, or are you gonna push a button and tell the devs "ya'll can rewrite the app now"?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Are you going to be able to provide access to staging forums and their API before you roll out, or are you gonna push a button and tell the devs "ya'll can rewrite the app now"?
Please do the first one

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah we love our app and we love our pokeyman

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

101 posted:

Yeah we love our app and we love our pokeyman

he's real good.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I like the pokey man.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

zen death robot posted:

You can't see the announcements in the app :doh:

It's been on my todo list probably longer than it was either mine or a todo list!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The latter isn't far off from that new year's rollout a couple years ago that broke everything for two weeks. I'm not worried about turning around a parsing update.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
B-b-but change is bad

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

please produce a gantt chart and hold a staleholders meeting so we can review the project schedule tia

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

staleholders is about right lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why would anyone leave because the forum software changes? Unless the new software makes it so you can no longer type and make posts, I can't imagine anyone would care that much

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Remember people who jumped ship to Android because of iOS 7, and then Material Design happened?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The app keeps crashing when I reply. Stability's gotten worse in the latest version(s) I've noticed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

The app keeps crashing when I reply. Stability's gotten worse in the latest version(s) I've noticed.

Working as intended

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

Release or beta?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

Release or beta?

Both for me. Basically any thread that has a lot of embedded content, like tweets. Eventually it will crash, either entering a thread, reading through a thread, or replying.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

Release or beta?

Release

Also whoever's freaking out, there will be an API so this will mean that a new app will probably work better than the existing one since it'll easily be able to use native UI instead of the web scraping shitshow that's in there now. I'll happily help out, the only reason I haven't dug into any of the todo is simply because it's a web scraping shitshow. And also I can't figure out how the gently caress the project is duct taped together, poo poo makes no sense to me and I've probably worked on iOS apps that the bulk of the posters in this thread have used.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

Release

Also whoever's freaking out, there will be an API so this will mean that a new app will probably work better than the existing one since it'll easily be able to use native UI instead of the web scraping shitshow that's in there now. I'll happily help out, the only reason I haven't dug into any of the todo is simply because it's a web scraping shitshow. And also I can't figure out how the gently caress the project is duct taped together, poo poo makes no sense to me and I've probably worked on iOS apps that the bulk of the posters in this thread have used.

I want to frame this.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I shamefully put someone on ignore a while back that I totally shouldn't have, but since I almost exclusively use the app (where you can't un-ignore someone, but their posts show up inline with one click without loading a separate page) it wasn't a huge deal. Except right now after upgrading to iOS 10 when I click on an ignored post it actually loads a completely random post from a completely random user instead.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Regular Nintendo posted:

It's a feature to get you to stop posting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alright, sometime this weekend I'll try browsing some huge threads while attached to the debugger and see what kind of crashes I can sniff out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've seen crashes on small threads too with a lot of embeds - the Catie Shaw one was basically unreadable.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

food court bailiff posted:

I shamefully put someone on ignore a while back that I totally shouldn't have, but since I almost exclusively use the app (where you can't un-ignore someone, but their posts show up inline with one click without loading a separate page) it wasn't a huge deal. Except right now after upgrading to iOS 10 when I click on an ignored post it actually loads a completely random post from a completely random user instead.

That's a great feature.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Release

I have so many folders on my hard drive where I've started a new Awful from scratch. Then I think about how unlikely the remake is to get close to feature parity, and I think about the tens or hundreds of stupid little edge cases we'd have to relearn about, and I decide it's not worth it. Then a few months go by while I avoid Awful because it's so annoying to work with and hey presto it's a folder called Awful (new) (new) (54).

That said, if somebody wants to start something, I'll write the scraping parts and present you with some lovely lil structs! (I would also eagerly help with whatever.)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
App is now crashing for me on about 1 out of 10 page loads. Latest app latest ios on ipad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey pokeyman, how close are you to releasing the next version? Anything more you want to get done first?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I just need to pull any stickers that App Review flagged and then resubmit. Gonna go do that now.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

anyone else having this thing on the ipad where you tap a tweet and instead of opening it on your browser it opens it in app? there's no way to get back to the thread without opening the sidebar and losing your place. i just wanna be able to capture and share the url to the toot

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
app needs more haptic feedback 1/5

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mad Wack posted:

anyone else having this thing on the ipad where you tap a tweet and instead of opening it on your browser it opens it in app? there's no way to get back to the thread without opening the sidebar and losing your place. i just wanna be able to capture and share the url to the toot

It'll be fixed in the next release, I think.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Which were flagged?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I have a fun bug!

Have a thread open in portrait orientation. Tap a link, rotate to landscape and back to portrait, and then close the in-app browser sheet. When you come back to the thread, the page numbers at the bottom are in a smaller font.

This cosmetic oddity goes away if you load a new page or go back to your bookmarks, etc. Sticks around if you merely reload the current page though.

(I feel like I might've reported this once a while ago but like hell am I looking back for that. I have more important things to do, like post emoticons and emojis :burger:🍔:burger:🍔:burger:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Met posted:

Which were flagged?

:feelsgood: was the only one specifically called out. Then there were about a dozen screenshots of an iPad showing the full screen stickers grid. In each I had to guess which of like 50 visible smilies were objectionable. For example, I have no idea if I was right that "poo poo" disqualifies :regd08:, but it was the most objectionable thing I could find in the screenshot so rip. I can share the final list that makes it past App Review once that happens.

(I'll respond later to the issues being reported, don't worry y'all, I'm not ignoring you!)

• Locked thread