Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arquinsiel posted:

I recognise that a distinction exists and maybe in some D&D style post-death judgement where a deity adds up your moral points to determine which of the nine alignments you fit into and thus what afterlife you get that slim distinction matters. Really the thought process of both sides of unrestricted warfare boils down to "sure, maybe this ship is full of material and personnel irrelevant to the war... but what if it's not?" so may as well fire torpedoes and hope you never find out you sank the SS. Kitten Transporter.

This entire discussion is centered around this question of whether "the idea that unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was okay, but unrestricted submarine warfare by the KM was evil" is justified or not. If you've raised the issue of 'evil or not', that sort of D&D style post-death moral points judgement is all this discussion adds up to. Frankly I don't agree that the only difference here is who won, but I'll admit the entirely subjective difference might seem small or non-existent. But because we've found ourselves on this terribly pointless relative-war-crimes discussion, that's the playing field.

My personal bias was that the Japanese were busy raping and murdering my grandparents, so gently caress yeah the stuff they stole from them shouldn't be allowed to get back to Japan and help sustain that raping and murdering. That's how I score the points. (e: On the broad level of thing I think given the technology both uses of unrestricted submarine warfare was in line with the practices of a very brutal war. But one was still better than the other.)

Anyway I don't want to dwell on this.

EDIT: VVV I'm just clarifying my position, which you still don't seem to understand.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

This entire discussion is centered around this question of whether "the idea that unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was okay, but unrestricted submarine warfare by the KM was evil" is justified or not. If you've raised the issue of 'evil or not', that sort of D&D style post-death moral points judgement is all this discussion adds up to. Frankly I don't agree that the only difference here is who won, but I'll admit the entirely subjective difference might seem small or non-existent. But because we've found ourselves on this terribly pointless relative-war-crimes discussion, that's the playing field.

My personal bias was that the Japanese were busy raping and murdering my grandparents, so gently caress yeah the stuff they stole from them shouldn't be allowed to get back to Japan and help sustain that raping and murdering. That's how I score the points.

Anyway I don't want to dwell on this.

*i don't want to dwell on it*
*dwells on it*

Could you make us a list of the good colonial overlords?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

sank the SS. Kitten Transporter.

Never forget!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The interesting thing to me about submarine warfare especially in the World War II Pacific, is that if it had been taken all the way to 11, millions (well, millions more) of people in Japan and elsewhere would have starved to death as a pretty direct result. that then to me is a kind of interesting moral question.... clearly when you bomb a city you are directly responsible for blowing up the people with the bomb you drop, but if you are a part of a starvation blockade we seem to treat it differently in our heads for whatever reason.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fangz posted:

EDIT: VVV I'm just clarifying my position, which you still don't seem to understand.

Your position, which seems to be that British imperialism was good, and that targeting Japanese civilians is morally better than targeting British civilians, because the Japanese military was otherwise less moral.

Waci fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 10, 2016

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

bewbies posted:

The interesting thing to me about submarine warfare especially in the World War II Pacific, is that if it had been taken all the way to 11, millions (well, millions more) of people in Japan and elsewhere would have starved to death as a pretty direct result. that then to me is a kind of interesting moral question.... clearly when you bomb a city you are directly responsible for blowing up the people with the bomb you drop, but if you are a part of a starvation blockade we seem to treat it differently in our heads for whatever reason.

For no particular reason: isn't Pearl Harbor at least a LITTLE bit responsible of how the US population treated, well, treating the Japanese?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Could anyone talk about the military structure and/or technology of the Khazars? I never even knew they existed until recently, but they're a fascinating group*.

*(I don't know the term to use here. They're not a full state in the modern sense of the word, and they're multiethnic and syncretic religiously. Any suggestions?)

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Waci posted:

Your position, which seems to be that British imperialism was good.

My position is that intercepting ships bringing the benefits of overseas colonies is an anti-colonial action, whereas intercepting other ships is not. In the same way that it was right and proper for the Indian mutineers to shoot as many of the occupying British as they could, but if they went on the rampage in a British city it would not be the same. You're considering only the needs of the receiving end of those ships, and not what the people on the outbound end want. Those people forced to send resources to Japan very much wanted those ships sunk so as to make their exploitation unprofitable. The same cannot be said of the Americans and Canadians sending convoys to the UK.

Have I made myself clear now?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 10, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bewbies posted:

Still not touching the moral argument, but there was an operation undertaken to starve the Japanese in the Home Islands and it was all the way to 11 and it was called... wait for it... Operation Starvation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bewbies posted:

Same reason people view bombing a city as less bad than bayoneting civilians. Technological distance makes war seem cleaner to people viewing it. Same reason people don't seem to regard drone strikes in Pakistan as being an invasion.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fangz posted:

My position is that intercepting ships bringing the benefits of overseas colonies is an anti-colonial action, whereas intercepting other ships is not. In the same way that it was right and proper for the Indian mutineers to shoot as many of the occupying British as they could, but if they went on the rampage in a British city it would not be the same.

What you said earlier wasn't "unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was ok because collateral damage is morally acceptable when you're trying to target colonial shipments" though, it was "unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was ok because the Japanese were evil and the British were not". Have you read your posts?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Maybe we would all do well to remember that this thread is not supposed to be for discussing the morality of warfare.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Waci posted:

What you said earlier wasn't "unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was ok because collateral damage is morally acceptable when you're trying to target colonial shipments" though, it was "unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was ok because the Japanese were evil and the British were not". Have you read your posts?

If I didn't make myself clear then I'm sorry. Because this is literally exactly what I was trying to say.

Read this sentence I wrote. Let me make the formatting a little clearer:

quote:

The specific argument I'm making is NOT

that it's not a war crime because the British colonial powers were morally better than Japan,

BUT

that the situations are not comparable because the specific traffic that was being intercepted in the Atlantic was different from the traffic that was being intercepted in the Pacific.

Are we having this entire argument because I used a double negative?

EDIT: VVV Whuh. Do people seriously think this?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 10, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Fangz posted:

In the same way that it was right and proper for the Indian mutineers to shoot as many of the occupying British as they could, but if they went on the rampage in a British city it would not be the same.

Why would it not? They're no less British in York or Leeds or something.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fangz posted:

A lot of people think the sinking of the Lusitania was justifiable (the diplomatic outcry was understandable at the time, but I dunno if many Americans really remember it as a cowardly act of murder forever and ever). .

I would like to point out that the Lusitania was almost certainly carrying war materials as part of a deliberate policy of putting arms shipments in the hold of passenger liners to sneak them into the country. The British government is still sitting on any and all contemporary papers that might indicate what Whitehall knew about what was in the cargo hold of that ship. They would not be doing that if there wasn't some horrible detail that needed hiding.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fangz posted:

EDIT: VVV Whuh. Do people seriously think this?

You said yourself that targeting the civilian population of an imperialist country is ok if there's even a chance that you might hinder or discourage the colonial effort in the process.

For no particular reason, why do certain types of people seem so insistent that the conclusions "imperial Japan bad" and "nazi Germany bad" require the assumption that the US and Britain never ever did anything amoral? One thing being worse than another thing doesn't make the second thing good.

Waci fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 10, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Arquinsiel posted:

Same reason people view bombing a city as less bad than bayoneting civilians. Technological distance makes war seem cleaner to people viewing it. Same reason people don't seem to regard drone strikes in Pakistan as being an invasion.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure the actual reason nobody views drone strikes in Pakistan as an invasion is that there is no invading and occupying presence, it's not an invasion of Pakistan any more than the Blitz was an invasion of Britain. Of course that still leaves the question of why attacking Pakistani weddings with drone strikes is different from attacking Pakistani weddings with infantry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Waci posted:

You said yourself that targeting the civilian population of an imperialist country is ok if there's even a chance that you might hinder or discourage the colonial effort in the process.

When did I say that.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

When did I say that.

Fangz posted:

My position is that intercepting ships bringing the benefits of overseas colonies is an anti-colonial action, whereas intercepting other ships is not. In the same way that it was right and proper for the Indian mutineers to shoot as many of the occupying British as they could, but if they went on the rampage in a British city it would not be the same.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

bewbies posted:

I think it's the delay in the effect; that they still have (theoretically) the agency to surrender and therefore not die, whereas when you drop a bomb on their heads it's a little bit different.

Eela6 posted:

Could anyone talk about the military structure and/or technology of the Khazars? I never even knew they existed until recently, but they're a fascinating group*.

*(I don't know the term to use here. They're not a full state in the modern sense of the word, and they're multiethnic and syncretic religiously. Any suggestions?)

I thought they were straight up steppe nomads weren't they? Most of the nomadic empires were pretty multiethnic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I said the second thing - targetting civilian populations - is not the same. I said the *opposite* of what the guy is suggesting. I said that elements of the colonial power that are part of the structure of colonialism, part of the occupation, would be more legitimate targets than the other. In the same way that shooting a Nazi soldier is very different from firebombing a city even though both that perish are German! WTF you people.

Am I literally having to argue that war crimes exist now?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 10, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fangz posted:

I said the second thing - targetting civilian populations - is not the same. I said the *opposite* of what the guy is suggesting. I said that elements of the colonial power that are part of the structure of colonialism, part of the occupation, would be more legitimate targets than the other. In the same way that shooting a Nazi soldier is very different from firebombing a city even though both that perish are German! WTF you people.

Click here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unrestricted submarine warfare is not the same thing as unrestricted warfare! Supporting the doctrine of unrestricted submarine warfare as it was practiced in WWII is an entirely different thing to saying that no restrictions at all should exist in war.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

darthbob88 posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the actual reason nobody views drone strikes in Pakistan as an invasion is that there is no invading and occupying presence, it's not an invasion of Pakistan any more than the Blitz was an invasion of Britain. Of course that still leaves the question of why attacking Pakistani weddings with drone strikes is different from attacking Pakistani weddings with infantry.
The Blitz was definitely an invasion, but people mentally separate invasions of airspace from ground invasions because <reasons>.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The Blitz was definitely an invasion, but people mentally separate invasions of airspace from ground invasions because <reasons>.

Fairly... good reasons I would personally suggest.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fangz posted:

Unrestricted submarine warfare is not the same thing as unrestricted warfare! Supporting the doctrine of unrestricted submarine warfare as it was practiced in WWII is an entirely different thing to saying that no restrictions at all should exist in war.

Please consider the difference between restricted submarine warfare targeting only military or colonial shipments and unrestricted submarine warfare, and how that difference might relate to the discussion during which you seem to have completely missed it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Waci posted:

Please consider the difference between restricted submarine warfare targeting only military or colonial shipments and unrestricted submarine warfare, and how that difference might relate to the discussion during which you seem to have completely missed it.

That's not what restricted submarine warfare means.

EDIT: Or unrestricted submarine warfare. Do you have the slightest clue what you are talking about?

I asked you when you thought I said that "targeting the civilian population of an imperialist country is ok if there's even a chance that you might hinder or discourage the colonial effort in the process". You have not supplied anything even resembling that statement, when the whole point I am trying to make is that there is a distinction in terms of the degree of complicity in crimes against humanity. The closest I would come to it is that some degree of collateral damage is likely acceptable, especially in the context of WWII. That's not remotely 'FIRE AT WILL' like you seem to imagine it to be.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 10, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

I think it's the delay in the effect; that they still have (theoretically) the agency to surrender and therefore not die, whereas when you drop a bomb on their heads it's a little bit different.

This....is probably it? It makes sense to me at least. Although you could also argue that they could have surrendered after the first bombings to avoid future bombings I suppose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't disagree with your other points, but to me invasion implies an attempt at occupation. I wouldn't consider the smaller scale Viking raids or small mounted nomadic raids historically as invasions either.

That doesn't make American drone strikes or bombing a city right, of course, but I think that's why they're not considered invasions.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hi, don't use dictionaries to define individual words in a technical term in an attempt to discredit the use of said term in an actual argument.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arquinsiel posted:

I recognise that a distinction exists and maybe in some D&D style post-death judgement where a deity adds up your moral points to determine which of the nine alignments you fit into and thus what afterlife you get that slim distinction matters. Really the thought process of both sides of unrestricted warfare boils down to "sure, maybe this ship is full of material and personnel irrelevant to the war... but what if it's not?" so may as well fire torpedoes and hope you never find out you sank the SS. Kitten Transporter.

Look if it was transporting SS Kittens, then they had it coming! :bahgawd:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, the sinking of the 27. SS Kätzchenbattalion was totally justified.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Hi, don't use dictionaries to define individual words in a technical term in an attempt to discredit the use of said term in an actual argument.

Sure, sorry. The point I was trying to make with that post was that targeting exclusively shipping directly related to the war effort or colonialism is not the same as targeting anything that could theoretically be related with little regard for the likelihood of it being a civilian target, but I'll admit in retrospect that was a disastrous attempt at trying to make that point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

OwlFancier posted:

Fairly... good reasons I would personally suggest.
That same sense of distance as previously mentioned. It's not really a great reason, because as testimony from civilians in western Pakistan tells us the same fear of instant unexpected death is there in both cases. Not that this wasn't already known because of the Blitz or strategic bombing campaigns...

Elyv posted:

I don't disagree with your other points, but to me invasion implies an attempt at occupation. I wouldn't consider the smaller scale Viking raids or small mounted nomadic raids historically as invasions either.

That doesn't make American drone strikes or bombing a city right, of course, but I think that's why they're not considered invasions.
It is in fact referred to as "an invasion of airspace" though. I get your reading of the word, but it's imprecise and leads to bad logic. In a similar way people talk about Germany's invasion of north Africa, when German forces were invited into an Italian colonial possession on the coast and then invaded neighbouring African countries from that position. The flipside of that is that they must also have invaded Europe, despite starting in Europe. Maybe good enough for facebook discussions of history but here we usually manage better.

ETA: even more silly, the requirement for occupation means that the invasion of Normandy wasn't an invasion, because the forces landing did not intend to occupy Normandy and were framing it as a liberation, so despite having all the factors of an invasion except the specific goal of holding the territory indefinitely it doesn't count using that criteria.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 10, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Eela6 posted:

Interested in this as well rather than the continuing d&d leakage going on

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hogge Wild posted:

What kind of size inflation has there been since WWI? Would a today's destroyer be the same size as a WWI cruiser?

Destroyers today also have vastly greater firepower than a crusier from World War 2. Anti-ship missiles, Anti-air missiles, and homing torpedoes give modern destroyers a punch your gun crusiers can only dream about.

It's kinda bad though, because it has collapsed our ship classes to "Frigate" and "Destroyer" for the most part. And both classes do the same thing; it's just one is more than the other.

I mean how are video games or Star Trek: Deep Space 9 going to make many different classes of ships now

david_a posted:

That got me curious - when was the last battleship design created? Not a physical ship, but a serious detailed design that could have been built?

The Soviets made battlecrusiers in the '70s and '80s, no sure if that counts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

That same sense of distance as previously mentioned. It's not really a great reason, because as testimony from civilians in western Pakistan tells us the same fear of instant unexpected death is there in both cases. Not that this wasn't already known because of the Blitz or strategic bombing campaigns...

Ground invasions usually involve an occupation following them, and a subsequent usurpation of the native culture and way of life, though.

I think things would have been quite different if Germany had invaded Britain and occupied the south rather than just trying to turn it into a uniform field of rubble, and presumably Britain at the time did too given the rather famous propaganda they had in the event of that.

I'd also suggest that Normandy again was a rather different thing too because as you say, it did not have the characteristics you would normally associate with an invasion.

I don't think it's particularly silly to have different responses to air raids, invasion and usurpation/occupation, and invasion to restore the autonomy of the populace, because they are quite different things.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 10, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

That's a really good point.

Everyone though LeMay was nuts for talking about busting out the nukes during the Korean War, or even for going after cities with incendiaries like we did in Japan. But we bombed hydrolectric and irrigation dams all over the place, with the specific intent of wiping out the rice harvest and causing mass starvation, and wound up killing hundreds of thousands of civilians.

Trin Tragula posted:

I would like to point out that the Lusitania was almost certainly carrying war materials as part of a deliberate policy of putting arms shipments in the hold of passenger liners to sneak them into the country. The British government is still sitting on any and all contemporary papers that might indicate what Whitehall knew about what was in the cargo hold of that ship. They would not be doing that if there wasn't some horrible detail that needed hiding.

The cargo list was published in the New York Times on May 8 1015 and included 4200 cases, some 80 tons, of ammunition.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 10, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Waci posted:

Your position, which seems to be that British imperialism was good, and that targeting Japanese civilians is morally better than targeting British civilians, because the Japanese military was otherwise less moral.

COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA
POSTMASTER-GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

20 JUL 07

TELEGRAM from Broome Station
Addressed to H. Princep Esq, prot. of aborigines

Send cask arsenic exterminate aborigines letter will follow

Chas Morgan

Edit: technically not British Imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I'm slowly making my way through Post Captain after reading Master and Commander, and I find myself very confused about the purpose and use of the Polychrest's "secret weapon". It's described as a large tube in the middle of the ship that fires a tailless rocket - what does that even mean? Is it supposed to stand in for any real weapon?