Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

VW's MIB 2 (NOT the MIB 1) is incredibly not rear end and Apple CarPlay owns. It also has Android Auto but I don't have that kind of phone. I find the seats very comfortable and nicely bolstered, and they actually hold their own against the M Sport Seats in the Z4M I had. I'm a big guy and they don't squeeze me too much either.

The two major points I'd give to the GTI vs the FoST I drove are the interior in the GTI looks really nice and is a bit understated, while the FoST interior looks like something aimed at a younger audience and more trendy looking. In 10 years, the GTI's will probably hold up better in the aesthetic department. Second point, the materials are unquestionably better in the GTI. I also liked the shifter/clutch in the GTI more, but they both felt pretty numb. Point is moot if you go DSG in the GTI though.

All in all, drive them both and pick the one you like more. Everything listed above is personal preference.

Yup, I've driven the GTI in standard and DSG and thought the interior was nice if not understated. I also was not wild about the numb shifter. Concerns about longevity and value are tough because domestic cars very rarely hold value, but I feel the GTI doesn't either. I don't know what the maintenance is like on either, though anecdotal evidence says VW's tend to run pretty expensive to maintain.

In the end everyone is right, I have to go sit in them with the wife and baby to make sure everyone fits. I also drove a Mazda 3 hatch and while it's not "Hot" is very much a warmish hatch that is in the running too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I must be in the minority here because I test drove the GTI and the FoST back to back and the materials/build quality seemed practically identical. Nothing to write home about in either one but they both just seemed 'fine' to me.

Do some of the higher specced ones have a different interior by any chance?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

100% Dundee posted:

Do some of the higher specced ones have a different interior by any chance?
GTI gets leather in the higher spec. gently caress that, cloth any day for me.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Focus interior feels terribly cramped to me. I really hate the layout/design of it all.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

Yup, I've driven the GTI in standard and DSG and thought the interior was nice if not understated. I also was not wild about the numb shifter. Concerns about longevity and value are tough because domestic cars very rarely hold value, but I feel the GTI doesn't either. I don't know what the maintenance is like on either, though anecdotal evidence says VW's tend to run pretty expensive to maintain.

In the end everyone is right, I have to go sit in them with the wife and baby to make sure everyone fits. I also drove a Mazda 3 hatch and while it's not "Hot" is very much a warmish hatch that is in the running too.

I've been lusting for a GTI/R for about a year now, but have resisted buying one so far. I am looking at the '17 Mazda 3 right now as well. The grand touring 3 5-door is really tempting with the 2.5L engine, bose stereo, and tech pkg. One of the 3's faults is the back seat room. I would check to see your baby seat is good to go. If I had to buy today I would go for the 3.

To answer the trim level question, the S GTI gets cloth interior, the SE and Autobahn get the leather, sunroof, Fender stereo and now for '17 the sport pkg items including R front brakes, lsd and +10 hp.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

D C posted:

Focus interior feels terribly cramped to me. I really hate the layout/design of it all.

Having sat in both the GTI feels much more grown up. I found the seats significantly more comfortable. The doors close with a more satisfying thunk and interior noise is significantly better. Ride quality was firm without being busy and buzzy, which is how I feel about the FoST. The FoST is almost certainly faster, but I just preferred the GTI in ever other way that it was the better car for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

D C posted:

That's really my biggest complaint. It's a bigger car than the GTi with less usable interior space.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
The 2017 GTI Sport looks like it's defenitely the sweet spot for price and performance now that they threw in the performance package features in as standard. Granted, the 10 hp bump doesn't mean much but the LSD and the R brakes sure are nice. You can probably walk out the door with a GTI Sport for under well under 27k which just seems like a hell of a deal to me.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Modus Man posted:

The 2017 GTI Sport looks like it's defenitely the sweet spot for price and performance now that they threw in the performance package features in as standard. Granted, the 10 hp bump doesn't mean much but the LSD and the R brakes sure are nice. You can probably walk out the door with a GTI Sport for under well under 27k which just seems like a hell of a deal to me.

Mine was like $26.8 with destination or whatever. I am satisfied with the deal.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I mean nobody is buying VWs anymore so they have to do something to start selling those GTIs. Sales figures were disappointing and market share was sliding before dieselgate, I haven't had time to look at more recent numbers but I doubt their situation has improved much.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 11, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean nobody is buying VWs anymore so they have to do something to start selling those GTIs. Sales figures were disappointing and market share was sliding before dieselgate, I haven't had time to look at more recent numbers but I doubt their situation has improved much.

They'll probably get an artificial bump once buybacks start until they run out of stock and people start to get angry.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

100% Dundee posted:

How it will hold up compared to the GTI has me slightly concerned though, lot of people on the forums complain about little squeaks and stuff popping up.

Single point of reference - I have over 44k miles on my Focus ST now, and it has *knock on wood* no noticeable squeaks, rattles, or other noises, and nothing has fallen off or popped up. I have replaced 3 windshields, but that's not the fault of the car.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey update on the Mountune RMM I threw into the FoST a while ago- it seems like it's kinda broken in and I now have trouble detecting any vibrations at all but at the lowest RPMs with the AC compressor running. Like I basically have to try to really induce any vibrations and I don't see them in normal driving. Either that or it's subtle enough that I've gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore.

I came from the original horribly unsuitable stock Focus mount so this was a big change for me but it's still decently stiffer than the eFocus mount Ford started throwing into later model year '14 Focus STs and beyond.

Anyways if you want an RMM stiffness upgrade that comes with an incredibly minimal/maybe eventually not even noticeable increase in NVH I think this is your mount.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

I did something really stupid last week - I was tired and carelessly logged into TrueCar using my work gmail acct (:suicide:) while browsing local GTI prices and it was like i had just uppercutted a wasp nest...and I know quite well how BDC ppl usually act but their persistence kind of shocked me, especially given that the car was a new 2dr Base manual going for around $5k under MSRP.

From what I recall I didn't get nearly the same reception when ST shopping this time last year. So I think I'll be keeping an eye out during the upcoming slow sales months. I noticed the latest Car and Driver also has a puff piece about their long-term GTI demo, another good sign.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 13, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah if you take a look at sales figures last year vs this year I think the reason will be fairly obvious why you're getting so many hits...

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is the Mini still doing that weird "giant speedometer in the middle console" design?

Otherwise I think they're pretty nice if you can deal with that.

The new ones still have the circular fascia in the dashboard, but it's now media controls. The speedo is now a crescent on the side of the rev counter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

Single point of reference - I have over 44k miles on my Focus ST now, and it has *knock on wood* no noticeable squeaks, rattles, or other noises, and nothing has fallen off or popped up. I have replaced 3 windshields, but that's not the fault of the car.

All of my squeaks and rattles have been due to stereo installers not knowing what the gently caress they're doing and putting poo poo back together wrong.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

All of my squeaks and rattles have been due to stereo installers not knowing what the gently caress they're doing and putting poo poo back together wrong.

I have been content with the factory stereo. Yea, it could use some improvement, but it's "good enough" so I have left it alone. First car in many many years that I haven't gone full aftermarket with.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

I have been content with the factory stereo. Yea, it could use some improvement, but it's "good enough" so I have left it alone. First car in many many years that I haven't gone full aftermarket with.

Same. There's a ton of poo poo tied in to the stereo on the R so I'm not messing with it. The Fender system with sub in the spare hole is close enough to what I had in my previous system, that combined with how loving deaf I am these days.

Had a Pioneer nav system with fosgate sub and Focal mids/highs in the GLI and TDI. Eventually all that will go in the bug.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
After ~600miles, finally gave my ST it's first wash today. Magnetic really is the best color.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/soI7j

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Traded in my FiST a month ago for a base model automatic Mazda6, it was a nice car but not for me. It just so happened that my dads Saturn took a final dump after 300k miles of faithful service so he's taking over the lease on the Mazda. This means I have rejoined the hot hatch club and picked up a 2017 6MT GTI Sport tonight!

Impressions so far: even in stock form it seems quicker than my FiST was when I had it upgraded and tuned (turbo back exhaust, intercooler, intake, charge-pipes, tune by Adam of Tune+). The VAQ differential seems to perform much better than the torque vectoring of the FiST. The seats are really good but not *quite* as good as the Recaros were. The shifter doesn't feel as nice as the FiST but I also had a transmission bracket that reduced the throws so I imagine I can tighten things up with something similar in the GTI and the golf ball knob is kind of silly feeling but there's lots of options there. The GTI is quieter inside (no rattles!), road noise is lower, the suspension isn't nearly as punishing as the FiST but still gives a great amount of confidence. The headlights are on a whole other level better than the FiST, I especially think the adaptive "follow the direction of the turn" is sweet. The stereo sounds significantly better and compared to Ford SYNC, the infotainment system in the GTI blows it away. Haven't played around with Android Auto yet but I'm looking forward to checking that out. The brakes in the FiST were drat good but so far I think the PP brakes are probably a bit better.

I can't wait to drive it some more! Only put 55 miles on it so far from the drive back home. Obligatory lovely cell phone shot:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'd certainly expect that Golf to be nicer than a FiST given the significant price delta between the two of them. Seems like a FoST would be a better comparison at that price point, but glad you are happy with your new car, hope it is a good one.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Locator posted:

I'd certainly expect that Golf to be nicer than a FiST given the significant price delta between the two of them. Seems like a FoST would be a better comparison at that price point, but glad you are happy with your new car, hope it is a good one.

While that is true, in my case the Fiesta was my first new car buying experience and the dealer saw me coming a mile away. I'm paying only $15 more per month for the GTI than I was the FiST with a similar down payment made on each.

Edit: more pictures!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 29, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Coolnezzz posted:

The GTI is quieter inside (no rattles!),

:allears:

I take it this is your first VW? Give it a while.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Coolnezzz posted:

While that is true, in my case the Fiesta was my first new car buying experience and the dealer saw me coming a mile away. I'm paying only $15 more per month for the GTI than I was the FiST with a similar down payment made on each.

I'm happy for you, and this may have been intentional on your part. But, what you've stated above tells us virtually nothing about what sort of deal you did or didn't get on either car.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Ferret King posted:

I'm happy for you, and this may have been intentional on your part. But, what you've stated above tells us virtually nothing about what sort of deal you did or didn't get on either car.

MSRP on the GTI ($29,250 with rubber mats and trunk cargo holders) and I declined all of the dealer add on crap. On the Fiesta I said "OK yeah that sounds cool, sign me up!" for everything (extended warranty, gap, a few other stupid things). The FiST was also fully loaded with every option and I think I stupidly payed a dealer markup, if I recall it was like $26k or so.

I stopped the financing manager at the VW dealer last night before he started into his spiel about add-ons and told him not to bother, his attitude quickly changed and we finished the paperwork in about 10 minutes, it was great. I have gap coverage through my insurance so I declined it from the dealer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Remove the clutch pedal spring and clutch delay valve, you will be much happier and the clutch will last longer.

Also, snow catcher out of the bottom of the intake box. Get a OBD Eleven and turn off the 'vibration dampening'. (read: torque limiting in lower gears)

The Sport makes me regret my year and a half old 2016 4dr S.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
2014 FiST, A couple clips on one of my side skirts are broke in the rear, so it's hanging down some. I went into the dealership to inquire on getting a few clips, and they said they don't sell them individually and they are unique. I would have to buy a whole new side skirt to get them ($700+). Is he full of poo poo or am I going to have to rig up something

Certainly Ford didn't engineer side skirt clips that they then only used on a single trim model of there most economical car?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I fit 4 wheels and 2 tires (separate, not mounted...yet) in my FiST, without having to put anything on the leather seats.

Bonus points: retained rear child seat because I have to take my kid with me to the tire shop.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You can probably get some EUDM zip ties on ebay.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Coolnezzz posted:

MSRP on the GTI ($29,250 with rubber mats and trunk cargo holders)

Ouch.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

My local dealer in FL has every GTI marked $3500 off sticker right now. I've seen Sport trims for high 25s low 26s lately.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 30, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Radiohead71 posted:

My local dealer in FL has every GTI marked $3500 off sticker right now. I've seen Sport trims for high 25s low 26s lately.

Yeah you can find them countrywide for 26k on Autotrader with no haggling.

OP: did you even attempt to negotiate the price?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah you can find them countrywide for 26k on Autotrader with no haggling.

OP: did you even attempt to negotiate the price?

No, I am not good with money.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
There's a dealership in Virginia offering GTI Sport for 22k on autotrader. What's a good VIN decoder to confirm they aren't full of poo poo?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Decodethis.com might work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

There's a dealership in Virginia offering GTI Sport for 22k on autotrader. What's a good VIN decoder to confirm they aren't full of poo poo?

Link? Because I would actually be all over that. I assume it's one of those deals that requires a poo poo ton of incentives that no one is actually eligible for.

e: seeing several for about $23k on autotrader. $5-6k off sticker already... I'd seriously consider that before they buyback starts and they run out of cars.

Pretty sure I found that car. If it's the white one it's a sport unless they changed the wheels and it's an S with the lighting package. I'm not gonna step on your toes if you're interested, but I'd legitimately buy that.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 30, 2016

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

Link? Because I would actually be all over that. I assume it's one of those deals that requires a poo poo ton of incentives that no one is actually eligible for.

e: seeing several for about $23k on autotrader. $5-6k off sticker already... I'd seriously consider that before they buyback starts and they run out of cars.

Pretty sure I found that car. If it's the white one it's a sport unless they changed the wheels and it's an S with the lighting package. I'm not gonna step on your toes if you're interested, but I'd legitimately buy that.

I'm not in a position to buy due to being clear on the other side of the country. After I sell my truck over here though it's game on. Have at it, if legit it is a screaming deal

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm not in a position to buy due to being clear on the other side of the country. After I sell my truck over here though it's game on. Have at it, if legit it is a screaming deal

I'm only half way across the country. And that's a better deal than was going on the 2016's that I was looking at but couldn't find a performance pack car with a manual. Gonna give them a call and am looking at flights from KC to DC...

e: Talked to them and the pricing ends tomorrow and I wouldn't be able to get there until Tuesday at the earliest. The guy I talked to is going to find out if me putting down a deposit would be able to get things locked in or not.

e2: :rip: They can't honor the price after tomorrow. There will be new incentives out on Tuesday and they'll call me. I told them if they could get the price in the same ballpark we'd talk. Kind of a dumb way to possibly lose a sale.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Good luck, I would be super happy to see someone capitalize on such an awesome deal