Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010

berenzen posted:

The only issue with oberth is it has a really low trash cost.

True, but I don't think we need another SanSan City Grid in the game. I'm fine tossing out a Hostile for a High Risk, even if the runner shits themselves and moves to trash it on their turn. If they let it hang around then the advancements can go on a Mausolus or some space ICE if you're crazy, but you probably want to mostly use it to score out instead.

If Weyland sees more good ice in the future that these combos can support, or can better protect a server with Oberth in it, then I will be super happy. But hope is a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Oberth is not a region and therefore blanked by Rumor Mill.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

CirclMastr posted:

Oberth is not a region and therefore blanked by Rumor Mill.

Not nearly as much of a problem for a proactive card in a deck that's playing 2/1s.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

.... jemison astronautics was what I was waiting for. And also what I wanted before i even knew it.

Mars for martians looks lovely. It supports both full tagme and resource spam, looks like.

AgentF posted:

It's very clearly Mars Weyland. Not everything that's non-Earth is Space, you bigot.

Weyland: Paint the sands red(der) with boom.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh my god that theme is perfect. I can't wait to run Mars.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have a hypernerd question - does this game have a plot that is possible to follow? I play super casual with my friends but keep an eye on this thread. It's obvious things happen (Whizzard getting 'sploded, whatever the hell the 23 seconds incident is), but it's less obvious if this is communicated anyplace outside of flavor text and a few sentences in the set release announcements.

Not interesting in whether it's worth following - I read the Magic fiction so my flavor quality bar is set pretty low - just if/where it exists.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's definitely some metaplot stuff going on more recently--Mumbad cycle was all about the leadup to a big political referendum on the personhood of clones in India, although there's a lot that we don't know which is kind of frustrating. Flashpoint cycle is more directly about a single event, that being the 23 Seconds incident where Titan Transnational's servers went down for 23 seconds (which is its own board game, woo), which leads to a shitload of upheaval with the government stepping in. But so far it's kind of painted in broad strokes, it's not like how Magic follows the planeswalkers as individual characters really closely.

There's also books/novellas. Of these, I've read Freefall, which references the Android board game a lot more than it does Netrunner stuff. It was a reasonable read, but nothing spectacular; it's much more focused on being pulpy scifi detective noir than on really exploring the setting. I've also read Monitor, which is pretty short, but feels more connected to the setting--it's about a group of wannabe hackers getting in way over their heads with NBN. It also has MaxX! It isn't something I'd recommend to someone not familiar with Netrunner, but if you are it's an enjoyable read, and makes connections to the game without being super obvious about what's what.

Oh, also the setting book. Buy the setting book, it's great.

Really, I do wish that they did more to show off the metaplot. Like you, I'm a total sucker for it, regardless of quality.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Jemison Astronautics seems like it might finally be a legitimate Weyland identity and I don't want to wait the 6 months it's going to take to get it into my grubby little hands.

Maybe there are some unspoiled cards that will give Builder of Nations a coherent strategy that isn't just waiting for the runner to punch their face into your ICE until they die?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The flavour/mechanics combo on Oberth Protocol is really nice.

quote:

Maybe there are some unspoiled cards that will give Builder of Nations a coherent strategy that isn't just waiting for the runner to punch their face into your ICE until they die?
edit: in fact no, I don't know what BoN wants to be. I was about to say it wants to be PE-style thousand cuts but the meat damage is too rare and too controllable by the runner for that to work. Maybe it wants to be a glacier that taxes cards as well as credits but 40/12 and advanceable ICE out of Weyland is not how you build a working glacier deck. The 40-card size suggests rush/Supermodernism but the 12 inf is crippling and Argus has a much better ID ability for that anyway. I guess it's just bad.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 11, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I have a question about Black Orchestra. The ability is pay 3 for +2 strength and to break 2 subs. If I have a high strength code gate, so that I have to pump Orchestra twice, what happens to the first "break 2 subs" clause? I'm assuming it whiffs because Black Orchestra is still too weak to interact with the ICE when the sub-breaks attempt to resolve, is that right?

Worked example: Orchestra vs DNA Tracker. Does it cost 9 creds to break, or 6?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It costs 9. You can't break subs unless the icebreaker meets or exceeds the strength of the ice, so the first 3 credits are only good for pumping strength.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How does Credit Crash interact with Neutralize All Threats, anyways? NAT specifies that you must trash the first card you access by paying its trash cost, but Credit Crash says to trash the first card at no cost. There's no optionality or "may" in either text, so which takes priority? Does the runner choose?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

How does Credit Crash interact with Neutralize All Threats, anyways? NAT specifies that you must trash the first card you access by paying its trash cost, but Credit Crash says to trash the first card at no cost. There's no optionality or "may" in either text, so which takes priority? Does the runner choose?

Credit Crash, like you said, does not say "you may." Neutralize All Threats does, however, say "if able." I would say Credit Crash triggers, trashing the card for free unless the Corp prevents it. That card is still the first card accessed, so if you accessed another card in the same run with a trash cost, you would not be forced to trash it by NAT.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

It costs 9. You can't break subs unless the icebreaker meets or exceeds the strength of the ice, so the first 3 credits are only good for pumping strength.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Otherwise, it would also cost Paperclip 11 credits to break Curtain Wall, 5 to break Eli, etc.

Edit: Welp, didn't remember the wording on Paperclip.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 12, 2016

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Otherwise, it would also cost Paperclip 11 credits to break Curtain Wall, 5 to break Eli, etc.

Edit: Welp, didn't remember the wording on Paperclip.

Yeah, the first time I saw Black Orchestra's full text, I went "oh, it's Paperclip but for code gates and in increments of 2", too. Then I reread it a few more times and realized that Black Orchestra is kind of awful. Which makes sense because it's an anarch decoder.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yithian posted:

Yeah, the first time I saw Black Orchestra's full text, I went "oh, it's Paperclip but for code gates and in increments of 2", too. Then I reread it a few more times and realized that Black Orchestra is kind of awful. Which makes sense because it's an anarch decoder.

yog tho

Too bad I was hoping to have the full suite of install from heap decoders but Orchestra just looks too mediocre to be worth it.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

It's probably for the best that your entire 3 breaker rig can't be both (somewhat) immune to trashing and efficient.

That being said, black orchestra seems kinda bad even if it functionally worked like paper clip (i.e. all breaks occur after pumping str):
italicized entries are $3 cheaper than how the card actually works
Quandary: $3
Enigma: $3 (run last click discount not available)
Fairchild 2: $5 or $3+brain
Fairchild 3: $6
Tollbooth: $9
DNA Tracker: $6
Lotus Field: $3
Turing: $6
Archangel: $6

DNA tracker looks great, but you're doing as bad or worse than ZU(!) everywhere else but Lotus Field (where you actually look good, surprisingly) and Fairchild 3.

Now that I've written that all down, the card actually seems interesting as an influence free yog supplement for lotus field and when your sucker counters get purged. Temujin Whizz can certainly afford it...

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 12, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It is a little silly that Paperclip is straight better than Corroder, if it was just a little weaker it'd be more of a tradeoff.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Fairchild 3 is 9 to break with BO

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

It is a little silly that Paperclip is straight better than Corroder, if it was just a little weaker it'd be more of a tradeoff.

It will be quite a bit weaker when Ark Lockdown is released :getin:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

berenzen posted:

Fairchild 3 is 9 to break with BO

Not in the hypothetical universe where DNA tracker costs 6 as well. I edited my post to clarify the dumb point I was badly trying to make.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2016

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

yog tho

Too bad I was hoping to have the full suite of install from heap decoders but Orchestra just looks too mediocre to be worth it.

Yog.0 is bad because it's fixed strength and Datasucker counters can be purged. It's also 5 credits to install which is kind of a lot, especially in core-set Anarch.

Yog.0 is great because it's strength 3 and Fantasy Flight spent the first three years of the game's existence printing code gates with strength 3 and below.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Bkack Orchestra seems like a really nice trick card for a deck that also runs yog anyway.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

CirclMastr posted:

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure :)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So i just remembered i have a worlds ticket for this game and have no idea what im gonna play since i have no clue what the meta is and am bad at the game. Are whizzard/faust decks still a thing? Are there any decent corp decks that arent gimmicky that a retard like me can learn on the car trip to MN?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

So i just remembered i have a worlds ticket for this game and have no idea what im gonna play since i have no clue what the meta is and am bad at the game. Are whizzard/faust decks still a thing?

Dumbleforks is still a thing, AFAIK.

quote:

Are there any decent corp decks that arent gimmicky that a retard like me can learn on the car trip to MN?

NBN asset spam is pretty simple? Play NEH or CTM, spam political assets, SanSans, etc, punish tags with EoI/Closed Accounts/ASI/Psycho and otherwise do generic yellow fast advance shenanigans.

eadipus
Nov 14, 2009
I'm in a similar position, work has kept me away from competitive netrunner. CTM is grim to play against, Emp Strike Whizzard or Kate with 3x rabbit hole are the obvious answers. Jammy HB - rush behind ICE with assembly lines and lateral growth is also strong, mostly because its really fast and has no assets to trash as a response to slow Whizzard decks. I'd avoid the power shutdown combo yellow deck as its fiddly.
I'm probably bringing jank as I'm there for fun with no hope of winning.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That being said, runners are the strongest that they have been, perhaps ever. Money has become incredibly easy for them to make, and despite some incredibly taxing ICE that's come down the pipeline, I think all 3 runner factions are exceedingly strong choices going into worlds. Likely runner decks that will be played are probably Andysucker, dumblefork, dyper shaper and whatever bullshit deck Dan decides to use the night before world's.

Corp side is probably going to be primarily CTM, NEH fast advance or HB fast advance decks. IG kill was hurt hard with rumour mill, and Weyland still isn't in a good place yet.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So uh, Hivemind: "Virus counters on Hivemind are considered to be hosted on all other virus programs for the purposes of card effects"

If I have 2 hiveminds, wouldn't they create an infinite feedback loop? Every counter on HM1 (1 counter) is considered as hosted on HM2 (1 counter) for card effects. HM2 is now at 2 counters. Every counter on HM2 (2 counters) is considered hosted on HM1 (1 counter). HM1 now has 3 counters. And so on.

Or is "Virus counters on Hivemind are considered to be hosted on all other virus programs for the purposes of card effects" not considered a card effect?

e: also, it does not specify that the card effect has to be one on the other virus program. If I have a Medium hosted on a Progenitor and the corp purges, can I have Hivemind keep its virus counter instead of Medium because it counts as being on Medium for the purpose of Progenitor's effect?

Machai fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2016

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Hivemind is unique. You can only have one in play.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Hivemind is unique.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Where does it say that?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
A little diamond in front of a cards name means unique.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ah okay. I wish they made that more clear.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

First issue is solved by Hivemind being unique. Second question: No, it specifically calls out the virus counter on Hivemind being the one to be treated on all other cards, but not all virus counters on a cards are considered to be on Hivemind. So if you have a medium on progenitor, the medium's counter stays, but not the Hivemind's as progenitor specifically calls out the virus counter hosted on that card.

Edit: From the rulebook

quote:

Unique Cards
Some cards have a unique symbol (<>) in front of
their title. There can be only one unique card of the
same title active at a time. If a card with a unique
title becomes active, any other card that shares its
title is immediately trashed. This trashing cannot be
prevented.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 16, 2016

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Machai posted:

Ah okay. I wish they made that more clear.

You're right, it could be more obvious. We had a new guy show up last week who made the same mistake.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

berenzen posted:

That being said, runners are the strongest that they have been, perhaps ever. Money has become incredibly easy for them to make, and despite some incredibly taxing ICE that's come down the pipeline, I think all 3 runner factions are exceedingly strong choices going into worlds. Likely runner decks that will be played are probably Andysucker, dumblefork, dyper shaper and whatever bullshit deck Dan decides to use the night before world's.

What are the best ways to make money for each of the various factions? I'm way out of date but curious

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

What are the best ways to make money for each of the various factions? I'm way out of date but curious

Temujin contract. This applies for all runner factions.

Actual answer: criminals use Temujin, shapers have Beth Kilrain-Chang and all the stealth credits in the universe thanks to Net Mercur, and I'm not super sure on anarchs. But seriously everyone loves Temujin.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Temujin contract. This applies for all runner factions.
Beth is mainly used to get extra clicks to make Temujins pay out faster. Net Mercer is also super gross and if you don't kill it on sight with Foxfire or tag and trash, you will lose the game very quickly because it is a busted slot machine that shits out credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sometimes if you spectate on a match on Jinteki.net you can see the player's hands, and sometimes you can't. Anyone know whether that's a bug or some kind of feature that I've been accidentally turning on and off?

• Locked thread