Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

What did you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What did you expect?

Nothing less, unfortunately.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

weird Asian candy posted:

Nothing less, unfortunately.

No I mean what did you expect to get from that dumbass comment.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I mean what did you expect to get from that dumbass comment.

Yours? Like I said, nothing less...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Old white lady who is supposed to hold up Constitutional rights calls a black guy ignorant for exercising his rights. That's bad, bad optics.

Given her job she probably should have chosen better phrasing. "I disagree with what he is doing but it is his Constitutional right to do so." Calling someone stupid and ignorant when there's a nonzero chance something related to this ends up in her lap is poor judgement (nailed it) on her part.

Did she use the word ignorant? I just saw stupid, dumb, and disrespectful.

also, "I disagree with what he is doing but it is his Constitutional right to do so" is the spirit of what she's saying, she just topped it with an old, white cherry.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You can be really dumb while exercising your rights

For example, I support the Buffalo Bills

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chilichimp posted:

Did she use the word ignorant? I just saw stupid, dumb, and disrespectful.

also, "I disagree with what he is doing but it is his Constitutional right to do so" is the spirit of what she's saying, she just topped it with an old, white cherry.

Whoops *ARROGANT

Same opinion applies though

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Whoops *ARROGANT uppity

Same opinion applies though

ftfrbg

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I can't believe Ruth bader Ginsburg advocated lynching mlk jr

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Taking down posters of Ginsburg from my rec room.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

weird Asian candy posted:

Yours? Like I said, nothing less...

Okay Mr. Trump.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The longer RBG lives, the more and more she becomes the villain.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Are we just quietly sidestepping the fact that a Supreme Court judge called Kaepernick stupid and ignorant for exercising his Constitutional right.

As a white dude, let me translate what she said into common English:

He's not stupid and arrogant for exercising his constitutional right, he's stupid and ignorant for being black and uppity.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Y'all know this isn't Scalia, right? RBG isn't some bigoted nut, even if her statement was stupid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shangri-Law School posted:

Y'all know this isn't Scalia, right? RBG isn't some bigoted nut, even if her statement was stupid.

All things being equal, Scalia was reportedly a rad dude outside of his lovely legal opinions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

All things being equal, Scalia was reportedly a rad dude outside of his lovely legal opinions.

And his lovely legal opinions continue to have a huge impact on minorities to this day. So nah he's not a rad dude.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

That's what makes it disturbing. RBG goes to the fuckin mat for women and minorities (except in this case apparently)

Chichevache posted:

He's not stupid and arrogant for exercising his constitutional right, he's stupid and ignorant for being black and uppity.

"can't he protest... somewhere else? Where I can't see him?"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Turns out when you use the thesaurus function on "arrogant," you also get "uppity," really makes you think.

Kaepernick is just continuous proof that all our heroes, from Obama to RBG, are poo poo. #7tormscoming

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
When you peek behind the veil of any of your favorite politicians/public servants or just people in general....you will find a bunch of dumb poo poo

Like Gandhi being a racist child molestor, Abe Lincoln being appalled at blacks wanting the right to vote, Tom Cruise being a Scientologist, you get the idea

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gynecolojustice posted:

When you peek behind the veil of any of your favorite politicians/public servants or just people in general....you will find a bunch of dumb poo poo

Yeeeeeeeeeeep. "Never meet your heroes" is basically the most apt phrase

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Gynecolojustice posted:

Gandhi being a racist child molestor
huh?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
RBG has been the epitome of the center left for decades I don't know why people are all that surprised by this.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Didn't like blacks at all and wrote about it, slept with girls (including his grandniece) in a Michael Jacksonesque manner

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Ghandi was not at all a fan of blacks

Nov 6, 2002

Neither was much of western civilization. You have to view people within the context of their own times. Like, Woodrow Wilson would be considered a big 'ol racist by today's norms, but he fit right in with the times!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
And if you really want to feel bad look up Mother Theresa's poo poo and how her charities did very little despite having tons of funding because she actually thought poor people deserved to suffer to be shown Christ's love and thought watching them suffer was a religious experience. Everyone sucks

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Neither was much of western civilization. You have to view people within the context of their own times. Like, Woodrow Wilson would be considered a big 'ol racist by today's norms, but he fit right in with the times!

No he was a racist even by the standards back then, and re-segregated federal government labor. Nice try

Nov 6, 2002

Gynecolojustice posted:

No he was a racist even by the standards back then, and re-segregated federal government labor. Nice try

The country was awash in jim crow. That he brought it back to the federal bureaucracy (and the military!) is not particularly unique.

That era was also a popular time for all sorts of crazy racial theories and eugenics.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 10, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Sure, but "he was a man of the times" is the laziest and dumbest poo poo, especially when his own contemporaries were critiquing him for it

Nov 6, 2002

Gynecolojustice posted:

Sure, but "he was a man of the times" is the laziest and dumbest poo poo, especially when his own contemporaries were critiquing him for it

Yeah you're right, and Wilson in particular gets whitewashed in the history books. But you would be hard pressed to find many presidents from from that era, or earlier who didn't hold some kind of racist view that would be offensive by today's standards.

Mostly I was reacting to the comments about Ghandi. He was a human being, not a saint and it's shouldn't be shocking that a political figure a hundred years ago was racist.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Yeah Ghandi was not at all a fan of blacks

To understand this, you have to understand the environment where Ghandi began his activism.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Mostly I was reacting to the comments about Ghandi. He was a human being, not a saint and it's shouldn't be shocking that a political figure a hundred years ago was racist.

Totally, I'm not trying to demonize Gandhi, just saying that we have an annoying habit of putting people on a pedestal ( like when Ginsburg went from a center left justice to NOTORIOUS RBG) and then getting crushed when our heroes are shown to be 3D flawed people like ourselves

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Gynecolojustice posted:

Similarly, there were plenty of people defending Vick's dog fighting and Peterson's child abuse because that was just the way they were brought up and part of their normal lives...

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

How do you decide who is a bigoted nut other than their public statements and actions?

I mean, besides their political beliefs of course!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ginsburg comments are really disappointing though. Just stupid more than anything

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

How do you decide who is a bigoted nut other than their public statements and actions?

I mean, besides their political beliefs of course!

Um, yes. Such as the beliefs she's literally written into law.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Notorious RBG is like 115 years old, of course she's not completely woke. Whether or not she supports Kaepernick's protest doesn't matter, that she respects his right to do it is the important part.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a lot of people criticizing Gandhi when his rap song topped the charts and made him the next bubba sparx

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

a lot of people criticizing Gandhi when his rap song topped the charts and made him the next bubba sparx

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

This is why I was initially shocked/surprised to hear this. RBG is usually the reasonable one who fights for issues on the left. Her disagreeing isn't what is shocking, it is the complete lack of empathy and understanding in her answer. Not once does she mention the issue of racial inequality. If you would have just given me audio and I heard, "If they want to be stupid and ignorant, that's their right", I would have never guessed that was RBG.

• Locked thread