Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

This is the most I've wanted an online dream casting since that goon suggested real life couple Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres as Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman.

I think that was me - I think it would be fun to do it like that, with a real-life married couple playing Reed and Sue.

(Courtney B. Vance and Angela Bassett would also be good.)

(I can't think of any more married couples other than Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr., and I have read that he's mostly retired from live acting due to injuries he suffered a while ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's so weird because a movie about Image Comics is a subject I've heard 3 places recently that are completely separate.

I like how they straight up say Ditko's artwork is their inspiration for what we'll see in the Doctor Strange movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUo4GQsnkHc

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 10, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

It's so weird because a movie about Image Comics is a subject I've heard 3 places recently that are completely separate.

It's the most cinematic story in comic book history, imo, so it makes sense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/comicsalliance/status/785548654744576001

I can dig it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Villain and actor playing him have been revealed for Logan:

quote:

Boyd Holbrook will play Donald Pierce. Pierce, in the Marvel Comics Universe, is a cyborg who was a member of the Hellfire Club’s Inner Circle. After being beaten by the X-Men, Pierce left the Hellfire Club and became the leader of the thuggish cyborg group called the Reavers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If they were going that direction I would have thought they would go with someone like Bastion.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If they have a scene recreating the cover of uncanny 251 I will poo poo bricks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that would be crazy.

Better have Pretty Boy as well.

Because there are comics, unfinished SFX Dark Tower trailer
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/10/the-dark-tower-trailer-accidentally-released-online/

Though I haven't read the books, it isn't about a kid who goes into the world of the Dark Tower right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that would be crazy.

Better have Pretty Boy as well.

Because there are comics, unfinished SFX Dark Tower trailer
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/10/the-dark-tower-trailer-accidentally-released-online/

Though I haven't read the books, it isn't about a kid who goes into the world of the Dark Tower right?

They're moving some stuff around. In the first book the kid character, Jake, just kind of shows up in the world of the Dark Tower after dying in the "real" world. But because of events in the second book involving Roland traveling to the real world in different time periods he stops Jake's death from happening. In the third book Jake starts having visions of Roland and the Dark Tower which lead him to eventually find a way into that world. So basically they're just rearranging plots around.

Edit: There's also an in story reason for events of the movie to be different than the book. King has hinted that this is actually a sequel to the book and not an adaptation. This makes sense if you've read the end of the series.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 10, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Ron Howard recently came out and explicitly said the sequel thing is the case too.

It's great because it lets them change everything they want.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Hah, I started googling lovely 90's heroes that were (rightly) consigned to the dumpster and found this for when hollywood runs out of ideas:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

spooky like this! posted:

They're moving some stuff around. In the first book the kid character, Jake, just kind of shows up in the world of the Dark Tower after dying in the "real" world. But because of events in the second book involving Roland traveling to the real world in different time periods he stops Jake's death from happening. In the third book Jake starts having visions of Roland and the Dark Tower which lead him to eventually find a way into that world. So basically they're just rearranging plots around.

Edit: There's also an in story reason for events of the movie to be different than the book. King has hinted that this is actually a sequel to the book and not an adaptation. This makes sense if you've read the end of the series.

Oh that's right the whole story is a closed loop, Roland will always be following the Man in Black it's just seeing the whole story being "kid has visions of a magical world and goes there, just doesn't feel what i've heard and read of the Dark Tower. It makes it feel like a YA novel.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hah, I started googling lovely 90's heroes that were (rightly) consigned to the dumpster and found this for when hollywood runs out of ideas:

Needs Team America and USA 1.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Doctor Strange preview was so loving good. Can't really judge the story and McAdams seems to be wasted in a bland love interest role, but this is gonna look amazing in 3D. Not just folding buildings, either, though there was plenty of that.

Oh, and Marvel had Sebastian Stan introduce the footage at my theater, which was nice of them even though he's not in this movie.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Except this time around Roland will have the Horn of Eld which may be a big deal.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The child's hand in the Logan poster is Laura

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/785637396750610433

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Using Laura as Wolverine in that image gives me too much hope. At least we'll finally have a story about a dad and his kid in the post apocalypse where the kid can take care of themselves.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

twistedmentat posted:

Using Laura as Wolverine in that image gives me too much hope. At least we'll finally have a story about a dad and his kid in the post apocalypse where the kid can take care of themselves.

definitely will be a scene where that kid pops out bone claws (surprise claw from the foot)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hiddenriverninja posted:

definitely will be a scene where that kid pops out bone claws (surprise claw from the foot)

Or where they're being chased, and being shot at, and the kid goes down, and then Logan goes over and she heals and they hack people up.

Because you know they'll play on the fact few people know who Laura Kinney/X-23 is, and the shock value of seeing a little girl shot is too tempting to pass up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

twistedmentat posted:

Oh that's right the whole story is a closed loop, Roland will always be following the Man in Black it's just seeing the whole story being "kid has visions of a magical world and goes there, just doesn't feel what i've heard and read of the Dark Tower. It makes it feel like a YA novel.

Needs Team America and USA 1.

And The Human Fly

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

Or where they're being chased, and being shot at, and the kid goes down, and then Logan goes over and she heals and they hack people up.

Because you know they'll play on the fact few people know who Laura Kinney/X-23 is, and the shock value of seeing a little girl shot is too tempting to pass up.

Just wait until they compare her to Hit Girl!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It'll be cool to see the audience reaction when the bad guys grab her wrists and make fun of her not being able to claw them, then she busts out the foot claws.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But when will we get X-24, the Wolverine version of this guy?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am so excited by cinematic X-23. Bring on the Laura Wolverine movie in a few years please.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WickedHate posted:

But when will we get X-24, the Wolverine version of this guy?

That's be his son, who has rape powers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

That's be his son, who has rape powers.

At first I thought you were making an inexplicable and crass joke before I remembered that is actual canon. :sigh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Isn't this film pretty far along in production? Do we know who's playing Laura yet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WickedHate posted:

At first I thought you were making an inexplicable and crass joke before I remembered that is actual canon. :sigh:

Nobody needs to make an inexplicable and crass joke about the plotlines of comic books, they do that just fine on their own.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Isn't this film pretty far along in production? Do we know who's playing Laura yet?

Yeah, the child was announced back a while ago with no character named at the time. Don't remember the name but shes just a child so she's not been in much of anything of note.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

The child's hand in the Logan poster is Laura

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/785637396750610433

Also Richard E. Grant is playing Zander Rice (the scientist who was the antagonist of the first X-23 miniseries). Which is kind of a shame since he would have made a great Mr Sinister.

I'm wondering how they might tie X-23 into the 'main' movies as the new Wolverine if she's only a kid in the future. I'm guessing Time Travel. (Again).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Richard E. Grant is playing Zander Rice (the scientist who was the antagonist of the first X-23 miniseries). Which is kind of a shame since he would have made a great Mr Sinister.

Don't worry - there is an inexhaustible supply.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So do people just not even try to do impressions in British comedy?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Thats john culshaw. he doesn't bother with anything.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that was me - I think it would be fun to do it like that, with a real-life married couple playing Reed and Sue.

(Courtney B. Vance and Angela Bassett would also be good.)

(I can't think of any more married couples other than Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr., and I have read that he's mostly retired from live acting due to injuries he suffered a while ago.)

Could always get Will Smith and his family to play all four of them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nothing But Hate posted:

Could always get Will Smith and his family to play all four of them.

Would totally watch the Smiths as The Incredibles tbh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Yeah, the child was announced back a while ago with no character named at the time. Don't remember the name but shes just a child so she's not been in much of anything of note.

Yeah, they had set photos like 2 months ago.

Her name is Sienna Novikov. She was an extra in the Will Ferrell/Marky Mark movie Daddy's Home but that's it. She's only about 10, they're going pretty young.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sion posted:

Thats john culshaw. he doesn't bother with anything.

He has a couple of voices he can do very well (mostly Tom Baker and Tony Blair) then trusts to luck for the rest of them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jamesman posted:

If you bring in the Mandarin - terrorist leader and Chinese nationalist - Who are you offending?

Now, since the movies already did this, why is nobody actually offended? Why are people only trying to be offended by saying the movies better not do this thing they already did?

I'm not even talking about the short. These things were established in the movies themselves, so if you saw the Iron Man movies, you knew that there was a terrorist group called the Ten Rings, and you knew there was mysterious person called the Mandarin that may be leading them. With that there, you don't have people going "Oh man that's so racist that they did those things in those movies!" And if you are going to argue that it's not overt enough, what about having Middle Eastern/Asian terrorists in the movies to begin with? Why is that not offensive?

People get really fixated on the name. Why? We already used the name out loud in Iron Man 3 and it was totally OK, but to actually attribute it to a Chinese dude would be bad... why? Was it bad to have T'Challa be called Black Panther because that sounds offensive? Neither of those things are actually offensive but they kinda sound racist because of the skin colors of the people involved and where they are from so I dunno maybe?

I'm a pretty progressive dude and I'm all for not offending people and not doing dumb racist poo poo, but I absolutely do not fathom how there is any reasonable justification for this argument beyond "It just seems bad and I don't like it!" and that's a really weak argument, especially since all the things you think would be bad have already been established and nobody is freaking out.

Jamesman

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Koalas March posted:

Would totally watch the Smiths as The Incredibles tbh

Morrissey as Mr Incredible and Johnny Marr as Invisible Girl? I'd watch it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

Her name was in the link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Morrissey as Mr Incredible and Johnny Marr as Invisible Girl? I'd watch it.

I would not be surprised in the least if Morrissey calls himself "Mr Incredible" in his own head.

• Locked thread