Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jesus, the poo poo in the Buck case must be awful for Sam "Concerned Alumnus" Alito to say "what occurred in the penalty phase of [Buck' s Trial] is indefensible. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's the Buck's case ?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the Buck's case ?

Buck v Davis. Death Penalty case. Buck claims he wasn't adequately represented because his trial attorney introduced psychological testimony arguing that Buck was more likely to be dangerous in the future because he's black.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
We agreed this was the Federal Circuit thread too, right?

This is a concurrence, but Judge Mayer last week in Intellectual Ventures v. Symantec was not loving around:

quote:

Given that an “idea” is not patentable, see, e.g., Benson, 409 U.S. at 67, and a generic computer is “beside the point” in the eligibility analysis, Alice, 134 S. Ct. at 2358, all software implemented on a standard computer should be deemed categorically outside the bounds of section 101.

The central problem with affording patent protection to generically-implemented software is that standard computers have long been ceded to the public domain. See Flook, 437 U.S. at 593 n.15 (“[I]n granting patent rights, the public must not be deprived of any rights that it theretofore freely enjoyed” (citations and internal quotation marks omitted)). Because generic computers are ubiquitous and indispensable, in effect the “basic tool [ ],” Benson, 409 U.S. at 67, of modern life, they are not subject to the patent monopoly. In the section 101 calculus, adding software (which is as abstract as language) to a conventional computer (which rightfully resides in the public domain) results in a patent eligibility score of zero. See Alice, 134 S. Ct. at 2358 (“Stating an abstract idea while adding the words ‘apply it with a computer’ simply combines those two steps, with the same deficient result.”).
http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions-orders/15-1769.Opinion.9-28-2016.1.PDF

WhiskeyJuvenile, make it happen.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rygar201 posted:

Jesus, the poo poo in the Buck case must be awful for Sam "Concerned Alumnus" Alito to say "what occurred in the penalty phase of [Buck' s Trial] is indefensible. "

quote:

After inquiring about the statistical factors of past crimes and age and how they might indicate future dangerousness in Buck’s case, the prosecutor said: “You have determined that the sex factor, that a male is more violent than a female because that’s just the way it is, and that the race factor, black, increases the future dangerousness for various complicated reasons; is that correct?” Id., at 160. Quijano answered, “Yes.”

quote:

he elaborated further that “[i]t’s a sad commentary that minorities, Hispanics and black people, are over represented in the Criminal Justice System.”

SCOTUS already denied cert on Buck, so I have to look up how it got back here:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-6391Alito.pdf
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-6391Sotomayor.pdf

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 5, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the Buck's case ?

From hearing it on the radio this morning:

Buck was convicted of murdering his girlfriend and trying to murder his step-sister, but during the sentencing hearing, he was sentenced to death in part because his own defense lawyer had an expert witness say he would too dangerous to live because Buck is black

A few years ago, another very similar case like this from Texas hit the Supreme Court. The SCOTUS granted a new sentencing hearing to that inmate and said Texas should look at giving a new sentencing hearing to 6 other cases where the above lovely lawyer/witness was used. This included Buck's case. Eventually, all of these cases had a new sentencing trial except for Buck. For some reason, all of his petitions were denied.

So now Buck went all the way to SCOTUS to get a new sentencing trial. The consensus from today's oral arguments is that Buck is certainly going to get a new sentencing trial because even the Conservative justices think his Buck's trial was hosed up bad. The point of contention is whether they'll just grant Buck a new hearing or whether to smack down the Texas courts and Federal circuit for being idiots- those two court systems have denied 10x the number of appeals and relief hearings than other court systems, for instance.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

This, naturally, being the Fifth Circuit, right?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

This is a concurrence, but Judge Mayer last week in Intellectual Ventures v. Symantec was not loving around:

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions-orders/15-1769.Opinion.9-28-2016.1.PDF

It won't. Mayer's view isn't going to be taken up by a majority of the Federal Circuit (because it is bad and wrong and a complete misreading of Alice) and Mayer isn't viewed as a leading light on the circuit so it's not a particularly influential concurrence.

Enfish, from a couple months ago, is much more in line with the Federal Circuit:

"Nor do we think that claims directed to software, as opposed to hardware, are inherently abstract and therefore only properly analyzed at the second step of the Alice analysis." (That's from the majority, not a concurrence.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rygar201 posted:

Buck v Davis. Death Penalty case. Buck claims he wasn't adequately represented because his trial attorney introduced psychological testimony arguing that Buck was more likely to be dangerous in the future because he's black.

:stare:

So that attorney's out of a job due to this right?

Antti posted:

This, naturally, being the Fifth Circuit, right?

God willing, Clinton wins in November and gets a Dem Senate that proceeds to stack the 5th with people who aren't to the right of Scalia's distilled hatred. The GOP explicitly files its anti-Obama lawsuits there and in specific locations to ensure they get the most right wing judges too (like for the immigration case).

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ulmont posted:

You missed one of his finer assertions:

"Mayer's concurrence, first paragraph" posted:

patents constricting the essential channels of online communication run afoul of the First Amendment;

WTF - so much for the fiber laser patents.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ulmont posted:

I've been trying

I've been saying that every 101 rejection should be appealed on APA grounds because we have no idea what we're doing, and every infringement action should have the defense that the patent was illegally granted, again APA

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

It won't. Mayer's view isn't going to be taken up by a majority of the Federal Circuit (because it is bad and wrong and a complete misreading of Alice) and Mayer isn't viewed as a leading light on the circuit so it's not a particularly influential concurrence.

Enfish, from a couple months ago, is much more in line with the Federal Circuit:

"Nor do we think that claims directed to software, as opposed to hardware, are inherently abstract and therefore only properly analyzed at the second step of the Alice analysis." (That's from the majority, not a concurrence.)

Enfish held that pivot tables are patentable subject matter tho so let's not go crazy singing its praises

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Enfish held that pivot tables are patentable subject matter tho so let's not go crazy singing its praises

I mean Enfish was dumb but not especially so on 101 grounds - it was dumb on 102.

Either way, the idea that Mayer's concurrence is going to have any effect is laughable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kalman posted:

Either way, the idea that Mayer's concurrence is going to have any effect is laughable.

Hey, the idea that software could be patentable was laughable until State Street.

But no, I'm not expecting anything other than 101 issues to depend on what judges you draw for your panel. Same as always.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Chocolate Chunk posted:

his own defense lawyer had an expert witness say he would too dangerous to live because Buck is black

:stare:
How did they actually phrase it? Was it like "Look at this guy! Just look at him! wink wink. He's too dangerous to live." or was it full blown uncoded "he's black, black men are dangerous, kill him."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It was bell curve poo poo. The sentencing hearings in Texas need proof of future likelihood of danger/violence for a death sentence to be given out. The psychologist that the DEFENSE lawyer brought in said that black men are statistically likely to commit crimes in the future.

The prosecution of course lept on this, which got Buck the death sentence, because black men will totally kill again you guys! Look at the bell curve! ! !

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chocolate Chunk posted:

It was bell curve poo poo. The sentencing hearings in Texas need proof of future likelihood of danger/violence for a death sentence to be given out. The psychologist that the DEFENSE lawyer brought in said that black men are statistically likely to commit crimes in the future.

The prosecution of course lept on this, which got Buck the death sentence, because black men will totally kill again you guys! Look at the bell curve! ! !

Eonwe, I'm sorry, but it turns out that I will be nuking your state after all.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ulmont posted:

Hey, the idea that software could be patentable was laughable until State Street.

Still is, OP

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No link, phoneposting

The en banc Federal Circuit just overturned itself in the February Apple/Samsung case and brought back a 120 million fine against Samsung. But SCOTUS is hearing a different Apple/Samsung patent troll case this term. No matter how SCOTUS rules in their case, is it likely they would hear this one as well?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You sure are :haw:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The en banc Federal Circuit

lately SCOTUS seems to hate the Fed Circuit, so likely ;)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vote deadlocks at 4-4 with Garland abstaining*.

*Because he isn't there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

No link, phoneposting

The en banc Federal Circuit just overturned itself in the February Apple/Samsung case and brought back a 120 million fine against Samsung. But SCOTUS is hearing a different Apple/Samsung patent troll case this term. No matter how SCOTUS rules in their case, is it likely they would hear this one as well?

SCOTUS is hearing a design patent damages case. The en banc decision overturned a panel decision that explicitly based itself on evidence outside the record and used that evidence to overturn something the parties had agreed upon and not appealed (and which was itself previously decided by the Federal Circuit) to thereby overturn a jury verdict.

I'd be shocked if SCOTUS took this up. The panel decision was really, really bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Vote deadlocks at 4-4 with Garland abstaining*.

*Because he isn't there.

Garland should just start writing concurrences and dissents, as though he were already on the court.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Garland should just start writing concurrences and dissents, as though he were already on the court.

This, but secretly. Release them all on the day HRC appoints him to the Court.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

This, but secretly. Release them all on the day HRC appoints him to the Court.

Garland will be confirmed no later than the 18th of November after :abuela: is elected.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Garland will be confirmed no later than the 18th of November after :abuela: is elected.

at this point there is suddenly a serious chance they confirm him before the election

they grab him right by the pussy, as it were

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

evilweasel posted:

at this point there is suddenly a serious chance they confirm him before the election

Imagine an 8 Justice SCOTUS taking a case for the RNC about forcing Trump off the ticket :haw:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rygar201 posted:

Imagine an 8 Justice SCOTUS taking a case for the RNC about forcing Trump off the ticket :haw:

RBG responds with a single page that just says "HA!".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilweasel posted:

Before the election is unlikely but afterwards when Clinton wins, especially if the Dems retake the senate? He's absolutely getting confirmed then to stop Clinton from getting a potentially younger and more liberal pick with a friendly Senate. Hell they'd probably confirm a bunch of other Obama appointments they've been blocking just to deny Clinton as much as they can.

I'm hoping Clinton wins and her victory speech has her explicitly call out the Senate, demanding they confirm Garland immediately. Then, if/when they do so it'd come across as the GOP bowing to Clinton's demands and piss off their base. :getin:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Surely the RNC can decide whatever the gently caress it wants. Trump's suit would get tossed from the first court it lands in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can the RNC remove Trump from the ballot? I thought he was there in his own name, not because of his representation of the RNC. And could the RNC even get a replacement onto the ballots at this point? I thought the deadline had passed in all states.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ballots have been cast already. They're chained together at this point, AFAIK

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rygar201 posted:

Ballots have been cast already. They're chained together at this point, AFAIK

What actually chains them, though? If the RNC and victorious Trump say "we are no longer working together", wouldn't that just make for a president with a 100% hostile house and senate? I didn't think anything about his implausible but hypothesized presidency was tied legally to a relationship with the RNC.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The name on the ballot is tied to the person. The advantage the two major parties have is that it is trivially easy for them to get the name of their choice on the ballots of all 50 states plus DC.

Once the ballot access deadlines have passed, the name is there and it can't be changed. Those ships sail by state but they all went several weeks ago. The only safety valve for this kind of situation, where say Trump were to withdraw, would be the electors, but then you get into messy situations with the particular states whose laws say that electoral votes are automatic and faithless electors are disregarded and assumed to have voted accordingly.

Bottom line is that they can only excise him in a symbolic way and regardless it won't matter because Clinton's going to have closer to 400 than 300 EV at this rate.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Well they still technically have the option of unfaithful electors. But I'm not sure how tremendously bad the optics of Ignoring the Will of the People will look if they convince a meaningful number of electors.

Though this would almost certainly make SCOTUS make a ruling on "loyalty clauses/oaths" some states have for electors.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There's no legal way to remove Trump from the ballots. Deadlines have passed and the SCOTUS would likely be an 8-0 "lol get out of here with this insanity" ruling against attempts to remove or replace Trump on ballots. The Republican Party is stuck with him and that's all there is to it.

The RNC is currently in "we must save the Senate majority at all costs" mode right now, largely because of Scalia's vacancy. A little over a month from now we may very well see proceedings begin for Garland's confirmation. Unless the GOP gets so desperate they try to start* it early to help vulnerable senators being hurt by their stonewalling.

* by swearing they'll get to it as soon as they return from campaigning.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-colin-kaepernick/index.html

Ruh roh!

quote:

Of Kaepernick and others she says, she thinks their actions are "dumb and disrespectful".
"I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it. I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act."

She's right.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

actually she's wrong, and old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I can tolerate old people having dumb ideas sometimes, when they are otherwise awesome.