Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I still have mine although they have tracking issues in places and my dog ate the outer box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yLsvexWBVM8IYSGopKuSfsGk5YIgCwQWd23bqb5ryD4/pub#h.iezr5fw0n6vp

Click here for the despecialized edition and to make all your dreams come true!! I apologize for the sperginess of it all, you could just google a download for the "despecialized" edition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My folks tried to sell their copies in a garage sale a few years ago. They thought I was nuts when I pulled them off the table and took them home. Well WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, DAD? :negative:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have 3 different copies on VHS just in case.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think these, the ones that came with the 2006 DVD edition:

I own these and I loving hate those covers. Seriously, ugly as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I own these and I loving hate those covers. Seriously, ugly as hell.

I do enjoy the Special Edition covers better, but the best would be either the original poster covers, or Drew Struzan artwork.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do enjoy the Special Edition covers better, but the best would be either the original poster covers, or Drew Struzan artwork.

I'm being super careful with the box they came in because honestly it looks so much better. Pity it made from that lovely light cardboard stuff.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Psh, you kids nowadays.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The blue/purple/red VHS tapes are what I grew up with, but the best box art are the tapes before that (see the 1992 letterbox version). Those 2 DVD sets that someone rightfully called out for being ugly are like photoshop remakes of the poster art, where they just tried to replicate the posters 1-for-1 with stock photos (notice how it's not ANH Vader or ESB Han on the right covers).

I like watching the second disc "unaltered" versions of the OT, but if I'm watching with normal people, the picture quality of the DVDs by far outweighs the annoyance of the changes, especially for ESB where there's not too much different.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Milky Moor posted:

Stackpole's X-Wing novels are actually some of the best EU books.

Stackpole didn't even write the best X-Wing novels. Aaron Allston did. Start with Wraith Squadron and never look back. :colbert:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

StashAugustine posted:

Ah, the good old days of fast forwarding past the George Lucas interview

HELLO IN TV LAND!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My dad owned these video tapes where the cases for ANH and ESB had the movie posters, but the cover for ROTJ had one with Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Yoda and Wicket's heads all floating in a row with the Death Star blowing up above them. They had sort of silver writing on the front and spine. I think they were the "THX" versions or something like that.

I also have the gold special edition DVDs with the LaserDisc versions on the second disc of each. The thing that struck me about them was the absence of the "EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE" subtitle from ANH, because I remember the aforementioned VHS had it, but it also had basically the same cut of the film (except it wasn't letterboxed).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I had (and think I still have, somewhere?) the SE VHS set in the gold box. I think there was someone itt who wanted it if I could find it? I haven't yet, but I'm still looking. I've got a poo poo-lot of poorly-labeled boxes.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

HELLO IN TV LAND!

CBS-FOX presents...

A Collector's Preview

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Yo

Return of the Jedi ended up breaking due to constant rewatches as a kid.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I had (and think I still have, somewhere?) the SE VHS set in the gold box. I think there was someone itt who wanted it if I could find it? I haven't yet, but I'm still looking. I've got a poo poo-lot of poorly-labeled boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VLDoZfPDM

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I just want a bluray or digital version of Return of the Jedi with the yubyub ending. I wouldn't even care if they still edited Hayden Christensen into it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The people who say Return of the Jedi sucks must have just seen the special edition. Jedi is the one where the changes really hurt the movie.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
ROTJ isn't nearly as strong as the two preceding installments either before or after the special edition. The Luke-Vader stuff is fantastic as is the Endor space battle but the rest has some plotting and pacing issues.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ROTJ is weak but still good and I just love it for the Luke/Vader finale and the space battle

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

ROTJ is weak but still good and I just love it for the Luke/Vader finale and the space battle

Basically this, the space battle and scenes with Luke\Vader\the Emperor make up for the Endor and Tatooine scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But the Jabba scenes are still great as an extended flash Gordon reference.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I can forgive the pacing because it looks good and I'd rather watch it a hundred times than Attack Of The Clones which is just taking up space on my DVD shelf.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

The people who say Return of the Jedi sucks must have just seen the special edition. Jedi is the one where the changes really hurt the movie.

I wish I could ask George Lucas why he thought "Jedi Rocks" and alien Joe Cocker were so indispensable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of pacing I do like the inclusion of Biggs into the special edition just before the trench run. I've seen it so many times that watching it without that scene sometimes throws me off.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Bigg's inclusion is one of the legit things I enjoy added back in. It gives slightly more context to a guy who appears to be important to Luke on Tatooine but ends up being a terrible pilot over the Death Star.

However, I cannot get over the awkward cutting around Red Leader's couple of lines. I always notice how it doesn't quite work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny to think back to the nineties when so much of the fan consensus was that ROTJ was absolutely terrible compared to ANH/ESB.

And then an actually bad Star Wars movie came out.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ROTJ is an awesome Luke movie. Just a not-great Star Wars movie. The Ewok stuff is just to Han and Leia something to do

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I remember doing that all the time

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ROTJ is still the 3rd best Star Wars movie. Some people wanna be edgy and say the Force Awakens is better than Jedi, but it totally isn't. It's better than all of the prequels, though!

ROTJ also gave us: Emperor Palpatine, Admiral Ackbar, Jabba, Nien Numb, TIE Interceptors, A and B-Wings, green lightsabers, a bitchin' space battle and plenty of screentime for Lando to be awesome so I have to give the film a very solid thumbs up.

And Ewoks really aren't that bad. I kinda liked the Ewok movies as a kid. The 2nd one had Wilford Brimley in it. Somehow he's still alive!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In retrospect to both the stuff we've seen in games, films and books the Ewoks are pretty much indeed okay.

Ewoks or bug orgies? Ewoks will win every time.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

In retrospect to both the stuff we've seen in games, films and books the Ewoks are pretty much indeed okay.

Ewoks or bug orgies? Ewoks will win every time.

How do you feel about Ewok orgies?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

ROTJ also gave us:green lightsabers

This I will always have a weird nitpick against. It was done purely for technical reasons for 1 5-10 minute action scene. And it led to a dumb proliferation of colors for lightsabers (but only for the good guys, bad guys must always have red sabers).

Leave them blue and red.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They're semi-mystical laser swords; why do they need to have color restrictions?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

ROTJ is still the 3rd best Star Wars movie. Some people wanna be edgy and say the Force Awakens is better than Jedi, but it totally isn't. It's better than all of the prequels, though!

Definitely agree.

TFA is a fine movie, but I do think that its similarities to the OT is going to cause it to suffer in future years. Kind of a reverse ROTJ scenario.

Thwomp posted:

This I will always have a weird nitpick against. It was done purely for technical reasons for 1 5-10 minute action scene. And it led to a dumb proliferation of colors for lightsabers (but only for the good guys, bad guys must always have red sabers).

Leave them blue and red.

I feel like "villains only have red sabers" is something that only developed in the prequel era. I remember Tales of the Jedi had villains using blue lightsabers, and in that Bantam novel where Leia fights the Hutt Dark Jedi, I think he uses a yellow lightsaber.

Plus I remember when Lego started making Star Wars sets and for some reason ROTJ Luke with his black glove and green saber was an awesome minifig to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

TFA is a fine movie, but I do think that its similarities to the OT is going to cause it to suffer in future years. Kind of a reverse ROTJ scenario.

Yeah...I hate the whole "Its just a remake!!!" handwringing, but they definitely played it safe and kept things really familiar for the relaunch of the franchise. I'm hoping Episode VIII really establishes its own identity a little better, but I think it was Adam Driver who said in an interview that VIII "Feels so much like Empire Strikes Back" that I'm a bit worried.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I think you will find that green is actually the best lightsaber color, god bless

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Thwomp posted:

Leave them blue and red.

...but there isn't a "proliferation of colors" in the movies? Unless you're counting the various shades of blue and green that we see in the prequels? The only distinctly different color we get after Jedi is Mace Windu's purple saber, and that's only because Sam Jackson wanted to stand out in the sea of blue and green sabers in AOTC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
And if you really want to get into it, Luke's green saber is another element of his maturity post-ESB. He's no longer just Obi-Wan's pupil and he's coming to terms with who his father is. He's his own man now, and the green saber reflects that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah...I hate the whole "Its just a remake!!!" handwringing, but they definitely played it safe and kept things really familiar for the relaunch of the franchise. I'm hoping Episode VIII really establishes its own identity a little better, but I think it was Adam Driver who said in an interview that VIII "Feels so much like Empire Strikes Back" that I'm a bit worried.
Get rid of the superweapon and it ceases to resemble a remake. It's kind of annoying especially for people who spent time with the EU but altogether wasn't handled poorly or anything like that.