Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Henchman of Santa posted:

In the pro game? You can't have an NFL career if you can't reliably hit from 50-55.

Also to answer the question, the longest in history is 64. If you're in Denver with the wind at your back and have a monster leg then in theory you could probably hit from 70, but if it didn't get blocked it would probably miss anyway.

In college, the record is 69 yards. In practice there was a guy hitting from 80 yards out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wonder if it's easier to kick that smaller ball farther.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Uhhhh.... no. We are getting to the point where we are beginning to expect our kickers to make those shots. I don't think we are at the point where we have 32 guys (96 if you somehow have trouble finding a longsnapper and/or holder) who can reliably make those shots.

Steven Hauschka is one of the most accurate (and best) kickers in the league and he's barely over 60% from 50. He also turns down 50 yarders that he isn't confident he can make, which has saved Seattle's bacon a few times since we go back to the offense instead of just having special teams gently caress up a hopeless kick.

Maybe I'm spoiled because Jason Hanson was my team's kicker for literally my entire life until he retired a few years ago, and he had range to 56.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Maybe I'm spoiled because Jason Hanson was my team's kicker for literally my entire life until he retired a few years ago, and he had range to 56.

This surprised me, because I think of Hanson as being a great kicker (and he was), but he was barely better than a coin flip on 50+ for his career (52/93). Seabass is 53/94. The difference between them and other kickers I'd put around their level is they've tried WAY more from 50+ than everyone else. There are some higher volume guys above 60%, but Gostkowski is the only tenured kicker with a REALLY good FGM%, maybe because he's only been sent out to kick 23 ever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Spoeank posted:

AT&T Park :swoon: :swoon:

Those are awful strange emoticons for freezing your rear end off.

Also, I really like the idea of using baseball fields to host football games.

I think the pendulum will start to swing the other way once cities realize how much money they're wasting on stadiums and try again to use the same facility for both. The angles are weird when you build for the infield, but it can be done.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ron Jeremy posted:

Those are awful strange emoticons for freezing your rear end off.

Also, I really like the idea of using baseball fields to host football games.

I think the pendulum will start to swing the other way once cities realize how much money they're wasting on stadiums and try again to use the same facility for both. The angles are weird when you build for the infield, but it can be done.

My baseball and football watching was forged in Candlestick. If I'm freezing my rear end off at least it's the same goddamned temperature for more than 10 minutes at a time

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Badfinger posted:

This surprised me, because I think of Hanson as being a great kicker (and he was), but he was barely better than a coin flip on 50+ for his career (52/93). Seabass is 53/94. The difference between them and other kickers I'd put around their level is they've tried WAY more from 50+ than everyone else. There are some higher volume guys above 60%, but Gostkowski is the only tenured kicker with a REALLY good FGM%, maybe because he's only been sent out to kick 23 ever.

And the circumstances of the kick matter too. Sometimes the team is out of timeouts and has to rush the guy out to kick in lik 14 seconds. I bet if you seperated that out, those kicks have the worst percentage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does anyone know where I can find weekly offense team stats?

Like this

but weekly.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Badfinger posted:

I just want to point out that I grew up with beaver ((gostowski) he is a good friend of my younger brother), and he is a cool dude IRL

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
E: wrong thread

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
E: wrong thread again

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
E: still wrong thread

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

E: wrong thread

Thermos H Christ posted:

E: wrong thread again

Thermos H Christ posted:

E: still wrong thread

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

swickles posted:

And the circumstances of the kick matter too. Sometimes the team is out of timeouts and has to rush the guy out to kick in lik 14 seconds. I bet if you seperated that out, those kicks have the worst percentage.

Absolutely. Belichick isn't sending Gostkowski out for a 53 yarder on 4th and 1 in the 2nd quarter, Brady's just lining up and sneaking it for a first down. Weather, game situation, game time, coach all have an impact on kickers good enough to be "good kickers".

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
How common is it for a team that was wrecking teams left and right last year in the Carolina Panthers to start out as bad as they have this year? What's gone wrong with them?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Seano posted:

How common is it for a team that was wrecking teams left and right last year in the Carolina Panthers to start out as bad as they have this year? What's gone wrong with them?

The Super Bowl loser failing to get back to even the playoffs is actually fairly common, IIRC.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Super Bowl loser failing to get back to even the playoffs is actually fairly common, IIRC.

2004 Carolina Panthers :haw:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Just for historical context, here's how the Super Bowl losers fared the next season this century.

2000: New York Giants -- next year: 7-9, miss playoffs
2001: St. Louis Rams -- next year: 7-9, miss playoffs
2002: Oakland Raiders -- next year: 4-12, miss playoffs
2003: Carolina Panthers -- next year: 7-9 miss playoffs
2004: Philadelphia Eagles -- next year: 6-10, miss playoffs
2005: Seattle Seahawks -- next year: 9-7, win NFC West, lose in Divisional Round
2006: Chicago Bears -- next year: 7-9, miss playoffs
2007: New England Patriots -- next year: 11-5, miss playoffs
2008: Arizona Cardinals -- next year: 10-6, win NFC West, lose in Divisional Round
2009: Indianapolis Colts -- next year: 10-6, win AFC South, lose in Wild Card Round
2010: Pittsburgh Steelers -- next year: 12-4, earn wild card spot, lose in Wild Card Round
2011: New England Patriots -- next year: 12-4, win AFC East, lose in AFC Championship Game
2012: San Francisco 49ers -- next year: 12-4, earn wild card spot, lose in NFC Championship Game
2013: Denver Broncos -- next year: 12-4, win AFC West, lose in Divisional Round
2014: Seattle Seahawks -- next year: 10-6, earn wild card spot, lose in Divisional Round

So the Super Bowl Hangover was a real thing for a few years in the early 2000s, but as you can see from above it's actually a longer trend for teams to stay successful and return to the playoffs, often dominating as well (see all the double-digit wins and division titles).

How did that narrative stick, anyway? And why do people keep referring to it? It's been demonstrably dead and buried this decade.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
In the cases where a team makes it to the Superbowl then struggles the following year is that usually a symptom of them losing their best players in free agency? Like the Panthers losing Norman for example?

Also how the gently caress did the Pats win 11 games and still not make the playoffs? Surely there cannot be many more examples of winning double digit games and not making the playoffs?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

El Seano posted:

Also how the gently caress did the Pats win 11 games and still not make the playoffs? Surely there cannot be many more examples of winning double digit games and not making the playoffs?

Finished with the same record as the Dolphins, who got tiebreaker advantages. The Wild Card teams were the Colts (12-4) and Ravens (11-5, got in on tiebreakers).

That was also the year Brady tore his ACL in Week 1, and the Pats managed to convince people that Matt Cassel was good.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

El Seano posted:

The Chargers got in at 8-8 that year and people got real mad and New England fans started demanding that Division winners not get an auto berth in the playoffs

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

El Seano posted:

Arizona went 10-6 in 2013 and didn't make it. Even if they had gone 11-5, they still wouldn't have made it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also the Giants in 2010 went 10-6 and missed the playoffs because of tiebreakers. Same happened to the Browns in 2007. Prior to recently, it also happened a few times in the late 80s and early 90s, in the old NFC West where 10 win teams were left out a few times (Saints once, 49ers in 91), and I think the NFC East as well once or twice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also remember people getting real mad when the NFC West was so bad you could go to the playoffs with a losing record.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, there was a lot of griping about the NFC West, and teams getting home playoff games with 8-8 (Or worse) records. I remember a lot of complaints about the Cardinals in 2008 cause they got slaughtered a few times late in the year, including at the Patriots, but that died off once the playoffs started and they went to the Super Bowl. Same sort of thing obviously happened with the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010, and to a lesser extent the 2011 Giants winning the East at 9-7 with a negative point differential. Since then, there seems to be a lot less complaining when teams with bad records get in...

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Personally I'm just amazed the Browns ever won 10 games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

Personally I'm just amazed the Browns ever won 10 games.

If you want to go waaaaaay the hell back they were a legit dynasty. Think Pats but more dominant, went to 10 straight Championship games between 1946 and 1955, winning 7. In the Super Bowl era it's been rough though, even when they were good they would go out of the playoffs in the most painful ways.

And of course since the franchise reboot they've just been awful.

e: well sorta 10 straight, the first 5 were in the AAFC which was a competing league to the NFL. They still went the first 5 years after they were admitted to the NFL.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 10, 2016

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
everything dies. that's a fact. maybe everything that dies someday comes back

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

If you want to go waaaaaay the hell back they were a legit dynasty. Think Pats but more dominant, went to 10 straight Championship games between 1946 and 1955, winning 7. In the Super Bowl era it's been rough though, even when they were good they would go out of the playoffs in the most painful ways.

And of course since the franchise reboot they've just been awful.

e: well sorta 10 straight, the first 5 were in the AAFC which was a competing league to the NFL. They still went the first 5 years after they were admitted to the NFL.

The Browns and Lions were the dominant teams of the 50s. One day maybe we can return to that glorious time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Browns and Lions were the dominant teams of the 50s. One day maybe we can return to that glorious time.

They'll probably be the dominant teams of the 2050's.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Skwirl posted:

They'll probably be the dominant teams of the 2050's.

Like the Browns will be able to keep a QB healthy even in the simulated world of neural networked cyberfootball.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Sash! posted:

Like the Browns will be able to keep a QB healthy even in the simulated world of neural networked cyberfootball.

Every Bucs cyberplayer hit with a virus infection.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I was watching the Falcons Broncos game and the commentators kept going on about the Broncos QB being new to the huddle, not being used to it. I'm assuming it's something to do with the difference between college/NFL in terms of tactics but could someone explain.

Also my choice of Falcons as my team is working well. I'm used to crushing disappointment as a West Ham fan. Is this coming some time soon or are they really looking as good as they seem to my uncultured British eyes ?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Serotonin posted:

I was watching the Falcons Broncos game and the commentators kept going on about the Broncos QB being new to the huddle, not being used to it. I'm assuming it's something to do with the difference between college/NFL in terms of tactics but could someone explain.

Obviously every system is different, but a lot of college teams these days run some kind of up-tempo offense, where instead of huddling up the players move quickly to the line and get their playcall from sideline signals (this is the reason for all the wacky picture signs that TV cameras love showing). Paxton Lynch played in that kind of system at Memphis, so the more conventional NFL style of calling plays in the huddle will likely be an adjustment period for him.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Benne posted:

Obviously every system is different, but a lot of college teams these days run some kind of up-tempo offense, where instead of huddling up the players move quickly to the line and get their playcall from sideline signals (this is the reason for all the wacky picture signs that TV cameras love showing). Paxton Lynch played in that kind of system at Memphis, so the more conventional NFL style of calling plays in the huddle will likely be an adjustment period for him.

OK that makes sense. Never watched any college football so thats passed me by. Im very new to all this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Serotonin posted:

OK that makes sense. Never watched any college football so thats passed me by. Im very new to all this.

This is a fun look at how the concept of the signs and signals works to get the plays communicated in college. The team in the video is an NAIA team (think really tiny schools that aren't very good) but the concepts are the same. I like the archer and throat slash signals, they explain how the signs work toward the end.

This video isn't as informative about what they actually mean but shows how much weird rear end verbiage goes on in the NFL.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
the falcons are pretty middle of the road

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Serotonin posted:

Also my choice of Falcons as my team is working well. I'm used to crushing disappointment as a West Ham fan. Is this coming some time soon or are they really looking as good as they seem to my uncultured British eyes ?

Seahawks are gonna stomp all over them next Sunday.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

v2vian man posted:

the falcons are pretty middle of the road

You obviously have never watched West Ham. Middle of the road suits me fine. Nothing worse than a glory hunting new fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What was the story with Michigan/Rutgers? Like, this is a serious beatdown with fake extra point conversions in the first half and going for it on fourth and goal with a 30 point lead... ?

• Locked thread