Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Pixel looks like a decently solid phone with an over hyped camera

The camera does look pretty good to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

And it still doesn't matter. Most people have no idea about which phone explodes. I mentioned it to several friends and they just go what? If you read this thread you aren't the average/majority user.

Every time I've flown since all this started every gate makes multiple announcements specifically naming the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. You hear it constantly in the terminal, and then sometimes you hear about it again once you're on the plane. The people hearing this absolutely know exactly which phone it is, and I'm going to make the wild guess that most of them don't read this thread.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

The camera does look pretty good to be fair

Yeah but the stuff I've read is all like THIS CAMERA WILL SUCK YOUR DICK AND PUT A FINGER IN YOUR rear end

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah but the stuff I've read is all like THIS CAMERA WILL SUCK YOUR DICK AND PUT A FINGER IN YOUR rear end

Only 1? Or does the XL do 2?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Only 1? Or does the XL do 2?

2 fingers? :stare:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

One day we'll get the whole fist but the technology just isn't there yet. :(

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LastInLine posted:

One day we'll get the whole fist but the technology just isn't there yet. :(

Samsung'd again!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shoren posted:

Edit: vvvvv this. Dunno how I managed to type camera instead of phone

..btt posted:

From context I'm pretty sure he means "phone" not "camera"
I asked since the camera is a pretty hyped thing. So it wasn't 100% strange to say.

IDK. Seems like its still getting a decent amount of love here.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The talking point is best ever on dxomark. Which is true. By 1 point. And its 2 phones right behind it (ip7 and something I don't remember). Marginal improvements, etc etc.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Every time I've flown since all this started every gate makes multiple announcements specifically naming the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. You hear it constantly in the terminal, and then sometimes you hear about it again once you're on the plane. The people hearing this absolutely know exactly which phone it is, and I'm going to make the wild guess that most of them don't read this thread.

If you fly for work then you should know that no one loving pays attention. Even more so know since people leave their devices on for the duration of the flight.

When is the exact release date for the Pixel? The 20th available inside retail locations?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 20th is what was leaked. Be aware though that "retail" in this context means Verizon version. To my knowledge, there's no plans to sell the unlocked version anywhere but Google's Store initially. So, if you don't already have a preorder in with Google and don't plan on getting a Verizon version, you are pretty much boned until late November at this point.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pretty sure Verizon is only allowing exchanges and not returns for note 7s so I am stuck with Verizon version.

Is swappa best site for estimating resale value? I will need to offload this 6 and moto 360 sport eventually

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't be scared.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think the year-behind Google purchase plan is going to work out pretty well. I know they're changing the Android update process, so maybe that will throw a wrench in it. I'm replacing my 5 with a 5x. My 5 is really up to date minus N, so the three year security window is ending. I move to a phone that gets N and should get an upgrade next fall, and then one year after that I can buy the Pixel 2s for cheap and reset the cycle.

E: I guess what I'm saying is that I don't feel like I've been without OS upgrades for a year since I've been on the latest OS for that year.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Pretty sure Verizon is only allowing exchanges and not returns for note 7s so I am stuck with Verizon version.

This is false. You can ask for a full refund of the device cost from any carrier.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

nimper posted:

This is false. You can ask for a full refund of the device cost from any carrier.

If you can link something that states that would be great. Only thing so far has been techblog.com, nothing on the website mentions even allowing exchanges and only has old recall notice

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Need a new phone due to battery issues but the pixle xl is oos, what else is worth buying right now? Or just suck up the half inch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Need a new phone due to battery issues but the pixle xl is oos, what else is worth buying right now? Or just suck up the half inch.

"oos" is what, out of stock? It's not out yet, give it a chance for the initial preorder rush to clear then you'll be able to get one if you want.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you can link something that states that would be great. Only thing so far has been techblog.com, nothing on the website mentions even allowing exchanges and only has old recall notice

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/Samsung-Recalls-Galaxy-Note7-Smartphones

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/10/13223972/verizon-samsung-galaxy-note-7-stop-sale-recall
This one says you can "exchange it for another smartphone" if you have a replacement device already.
I guess TECHNICALLY the replacement devices have not yet been recalled, so Verizon may try to gently caress you.

nimper fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 10, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

"oos" is what, out of stock? It's not out yet, give it a chance for the initial preorder rush to clear then you'll be able to get one if you want.

yeah, current is dying at 50% battery now. Would you expect that to be a matter of days or weeks?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it's going to be weeks before anyone gets them. They aren't released yet and aren't likely to be in the hands of anyone until after the 20th. Beyond that, it's hard to say when stock will stabilize.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

yeah, current is dying at 50% battery now. Would you expect that to be a matter of days or weeks?
You might pickup a 5X to use for a couple months and grab the XL at the first sale. It'll probably be a month before it's back in stock.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah I'd give it a month after release date, so probably end of November, for Pixel stock to stabilize.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If I was going to buy a phone now, for a holdover until the Pixel, I'd suggest getting last year's MotoG.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Best Buy and Sprint have joined the stop sale of the Note 7. That completes the retailers and it's no longer possible to buy a Note 7 in the US.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Obviously it's of no consequence now due to well, you know, but that dude who published the test about the Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 scratching easily was wrong and has put out a correction video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOz4Kf5AL7Q

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

With this latest Note7 stuff, I'm trying to decide between a Pixel and iPhone7 Plus. Kinda leaning towards the iPhone.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Here is official announcement
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...ion-takes-place

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Rushing to market caused the problem in the first place, and rushing to fix the problem caused an even bigger problem. Samsung can't catch a break, huh.

Funny enough this makes me expect amazing things for the S8 / Note 8, because they'll probably have a few staff shakeups and they'll have to really bet it all on the next lineup to recover their reputation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp. I'm jumping off the Note 7 train for the second and final time.

My carrier is Verizon. Are there any reasons I'm likely to regret buying an unlocked Moto X Pure directly from Motorola? How bad *is* the battery life? No, I don't want the upcoming Pixel, because I like expandable storage and I don't think the value/price ratio for the Pixel is good.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My carrier is Verizon. Are there any reasons I'm likely to regret buying an unlocked Moto X Pure directly from Motorola? How bad *is* the battery life? No, I don't want the upcoming Pixel, because I like expandable storage and I don't think the value/price ratio for the Pixel is good.

The battery life is perfectly acceptable and decent IMO but the real pain in the rear end is the non-branded quick charge that they use that only works for a non-predictable selection of quick-charge capable accessories.

But unless you're using an external battery on a daily basis it shouldn't affect you. The moto actions are also cool, good and I still wish I had them on the 6P :smith:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

logikv9 posted:

Rushing to market caused the problem in the first place, and rushing to fix the problem caused an even bigger problem. Samsung can't catch a break, huh.

Funny enough this makes me expect amazing things for the S8 / Note 8, because they'll probably have a few staff shakeups and they'll have to really bet it all on the next lineup to recover their reputation.

Considering they're rumored to be supplying panels for the iPhone 8, they should be aware that they better do something amazing for next year even had the Note 7 not been such a disaster. Apple is almost guaranteed to have the entire year to themselves otherwise.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ahahaha I just realized there was no galaxy note 6. They just skipped straight to the 7.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahahaha I just realized there was no galaxy note 6. They just skipped straight to the 7.

It was because they wanted the generation numbers to align, S7 = Note7.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Moto X PE was a great phone while I had it. the screen is really nice, it has awesome front facing speakers, expandable storage if that's your thing. I never had a problem with battery life. The TurboCharge feature is just QuickCharge 2.0. I have a cheap QC2.0 car charger and a QC power bank, and they both charged the phone very fast, probably from 30-80℅ on average during my 30 min drive between work and home. (Same with my 2016 Moto G4+).

Camera was really bad in low light though. The G4+ takes better pictures in the dark.

Edit: as was mentioned. Moto actions are indeed super awesome and you'll miss them if you get accustomed to them on a Motorola.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's the best part of the announcement.

quote:

Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.

So, that's confirmation that their investigation thus far shows that the replacement units have definitely being going up too.

Food for thought, if they thought they fixed the issue with the replacement and they didn't manage to do so, that really calls into question their original estimate of the number of affected devices.

I bet LG really wishes they had the V20 on the market already.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Pixel is coming out at the right time, hopefully Google kicks up their marketing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pixel is coming out at the right time, hopefully Google kicks up their marketing.
And that it doesn't have any issues.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bull3964 posted:

Here's the best part of the announcement.

So, that's confirmation that their investigation thus far shows that the replacement units have definitely being going up too.

Food for thought, if they thought they fixed the issue with the replacement and they didn't manage to do so, that really calls into question their original estimate of the number of affected devices.

I bet LG really wishes they had the V20 on the market already.

LG, HTC and Sony can't execute or sell high-end well enough to save their lives. If they did Pixel won't even have existed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Palladium posted:

LG, HTC and Sony can't execute or sell high-end well enough to save their lives. If they did Pixel won't even have existed.

LG can in fact execute and sell high-end phones, but apparently only every other generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Any goons with an Honor 8?