Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ToastyPotato posted:

Not in a world where SHIELD and the government was infiltrated by Hydra who helped develop and almost used super weapons to wipe out countless people in a move to take over the world via eliminating "threats". And lo and behold, Zemo infiltrated another government organization in order to enact a plan that would go on to kill even more people. Questioning authority is just about the smartest and most responsible thing you can do in the MCU. Hell this even carries over into the Netflix shows where it seems the entire NYPD is infested with cops on the payroll of criminal organizations that will gladly wage open warfare on the streets.
I mean...yeah, sure, and then the further into your paragraph we get, the more it sounds like you're just describing the real world :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Cythereal posted:

PUNISHER: Shoots people, then gets yelled at by people who recruited the Punisher and somehow didn't realize he'd be shooting people.

This in perpetuity, forever, til the end of time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't watch much of Supergirl's first season but I did watch the premiere tonight. And although the episode itself wasn't good, and I probably won't continue watching, but the guy they got to play Superman was really good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Supergirl had the best premiere of the three CW DC shows that aired so far, imo. I don't recall any moments that made me completely roll my eyes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Reminder that super genius Tony Stark exists in the MCU and has largely taken over the Reed Richards role of causing far more trouble than he solves.

See: iron man 1-3, avengers 2, and now civil war.

I contend that he is, in fact, the dumbest of them all.

I don't see what the Marvel Cinematic Universe has to do with the Netflix Defenders Universe.....

greatn posted:

I think Jessica was depicted as being stronger than Luke, though not nearly as durable.

I'm just struggling to think of a street-level problem Luke Cage can't hit hard enough to solve.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhymenoserous posted:

Reminder that super genius Tony Stark exists in the MCU and has largely taken over the Reed Richards role of causing far more trouble than he solves.

See: iron man 1-3, avengers 2, and now civil war.

I contend that he is, in fact, the dumbest of them all.
Iron Man 2 wasn't Tony's fault, and neither was Civil War really. Although he could have listened to what Steve was telling him, maybe.

SonicRulez posted:

I thought Arrow was pretty great. What didn't you like about it?
A lot of it just seemed a bit silly. All the stuff with Cutty showing up and the corrupt cops was a bit boring (to be honest I zoned out a little bit), Thea being angsty about not wanting to be a vigilante, Lance on a downward spiral again (I know he just lost another daughter, it just feels very much like a rehash), the whole rescue of the kidnapped Council members seemed dumb with the guy running through the obvious red laser. I don't know, it wasn't as dumb as Flash was, it just wasn't all that great either. After the Darkh stuff last season, I am looking forward to a more street-level criminal story though, so I'll see how things pan out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just struggling to think of a street-level problem Luke Cage can't hit hard enough to solve.

One superhero can still only be in one place at a time / looking at / concentrating with one person/problem at a time. Unless their superpower is being in multiple places at once. A team means multiple people in multiple places.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Light Gun Man posted:

One superhero can still only be in one place at a time / looking at / concentrating with one person/problem at a time. Unless their superpower is being in multiple places at once. A team means multiple people in multiple places.

Also, the rumor is that Weaver is playing a gender-bent Mephisto as the villain of The Defenders. You need to be able to punch the devil as hard as you can.

Is the Devil fighting the Devil of Hell's Kitchen too on the nose or just the right amount of nose placement?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's an unlawful arrest. That's a totally different thing. Police acting on incorrect information isn't an unlawful arrest.

ToastyPotato posted:

Not in a world where SHIELD and the government was infiltrated by Hydra who helped develop and almost used super weapons to wipe out countless people in a move to take over the world via eliminating "threats". And lo and behold, Zemo infiltrated another government organization in order to enact a plan that would go on to kill even more people. Questioning authority is just about the smartest and most responsible thing you can do in the MCU. Hell this even carries over into the Netflix shows where it seems the entire NYPD is infested with cops on the payroll of criminal organizations that will gladly wage open warfare on the streets.

There's nothing any of them can do about the accords passing and superheroes being under government oversight though. The ones who don't sign aren't exempt, they'd be monitored even heavier. The choice isn't government vs. independent, that's long gone.

And it's intentional, that way neither of them is truly 100% wrong. Yeah what Cap wants would be the ideal situation, but it's impossible. Stark is trying to make him accept the reality of their situation, but of course Cap's whole thing is that nothing's impossible so he won't. Then at the end even though he wins, it doesn't change poo poo.

(Plus now Cap's team would be even more restricted to act than they would be if they had signed, but since the next time they appear is a planetary threat we probably won't see that addressed.)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just finished watching Luke Cage. I kind of felt at least DD S1 and JJ S1 mostly tied up their season long plots with some side plots left unresolved. But I think a lot of threads are still hanging with the end of Luke Cage S1.

Also holy poo poo, Diamondback's costume was really loving bad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, the rumor is that Weaver is playing a gender-bent Mephisto as the villain of The Defenders. You need to be able to punch the devil as hard as you can.

Is the Devil fighting the Devil of Hell's Kitchen too on the nose or just the right amount of nose placement?

Mephisto hates Daredevil in the comics because he's a guy dressed like the devil going around and doing good, plus he's Catholic.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Tony just had to assure Cap that he was looking into the accords, looking into the people behind them, and overall giving a poo poo about what was going on. His reaction was "Yeah, we're all signing it no matter what and if you aren't, Vision will hold you hostage til you change your mind." All Cap (and I) wanted was to question some poo poo. Remember when they didn't and the government was all Nazi?

irlZaphod posted:

A lot of it just seemed a bit silly. All the stuff with Cutty showing up and the corrupt cops was a bit boring (to be honest I zoned out a little bit), Thea being angsty about not wanting to be a vigilante, Lance on a downward spiral again (I know he just lost another daughter, it just feels very much like a rehash), the whole rescue of the kidnapped Council members seemed dumb with the guy running through the obvious red laser. I don't know, it wasn't as dumb as Flash was, it just wasn't all that great either. After the Darkh stuff last season, I am looking forward to a more street-level criminal story though, so I'll see how things pan out.

Fair. I gave a lot of credit to the parachute arrow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tony created ultron who tried to use sokovia to kill everything leading to the sokovia accords

How hard was that

In other news it looks like rob liefeld might be getting into a twitter argument over danny rands ethnicity lol

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

Tony created ultron who tried to use sokovia to kill everything leading to the sokovia accords

How hard was that

In other news it looks like rob liefeld might be getting into a twitter argument over danny rands ethnicity lol

Does he really have nothing better to do?

Also, Jones himself acknowledged the controversy and seemed to indicate that they totally recognize the difference in time from the original creation of the character and now and that people should wait and see what they are doing with the character because they might be pleasantly surprised. That's good enough for me, but I will be even more disappointed now if that's just hollow PR talk, which it very well could be.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm curious how they're going to present Iron Fist origins because it's so far out from the rest of the Netflix shows.

Luke Cage: Science experiment gone wrong

Jessica Jones: Science experiment gone wrong

Daredevil: Splashed with chemicals from a science experiment gone wrong

Iron Fist: Travelled to a magic city and punched a dragon in the heart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We already have Thor, it's not a stretch.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
All I know is that it sure would be nice to have a Netflix Marvel lead who's not grumpy and morose 99.9% of the time.

Daredevil ✓
Jessica ✓
Luke ✓
Punisher ✓
Danny ?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

I'm curious how they're going to present Iron Fist origins because it's so far out from the rest of the Netflix shows.

Marvel is pivoting to the supernatural with Doctor Strange and Agents of SHIELD. This is part of that pivot. By the time it airs magic will be heavily introduced into the MCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

redbackground posted:

All I know is that it sure would be nice to have a Netflix Marvel lead who's not grumpy and morose 99.9% of the time.

Daredevil ✓
Jessica ✓
Luke ✓
Punisher ✓
Danny ?

Luke's not really morose or grumpy. He's generally pretty friendly, non-violent, and optimistic. Especially compared to Daredevil and Jessica.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

Daredevil ✓
Jessica ✓
Luke ✓
Punisher ✓
Danny ?

The mn(etflix)u's schtick is being depressing tho

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Luke's not really morose or grumpy. He's generally pretty friendly, non-violent, and optimistic. Especially compared to Daredevil and Jessica.

I'm only 4 episodes in, but he's a big ole sad sack.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Luke is a pretty smiley guy, give him some time. Nobody is going to be like Kat Dennings was in Thor.

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread, but is the CW Roku app complete and utter garbage for everyone else? When I tried to watch the Flash premiere it would just get hung up during a commercial break, I'd restart from the beginning, and then it would inevitably get hung up again. Not only does it get hung up, but it didn't give me the option to resume the episode. I never had these issues with Hulu. Am I really going to have to wait until all of these are on Netflix and just binge them there?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dacap posted:

Funny you should say this
https://twitter.com/jess_cail/status/786291639744540672

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

CitizenKrang posted:

🚮
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread, but is the CW Roku app complete and utter garbage for everyone else?.y When I tried to watch the Flash premiere it would just get hung up duri?ng a commercial break, I'd restart from the beginning, and then it would inevitably get hung up again. Not only does it get hung up, but it didn't give me the option to resume the episode. I never had these issues with Hulu. Am I really going to have to wait until all of these are on Netflix and just binge them there?

No problems with it, actually. Who's your ISP?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I guess the Flash is at a series low for ratings. Can't say I am surprised. Supergirl did very well for a CW show in its time slot, but was still down from the finale last season.

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema

jscolon2.0 posted:

No problems with it, actually. Who's your ISP?

Comcast. I also have the same problems with the FXNow app. I just assumed the problem was with the individual app since the vast majority of streaming services work fine (netflix, hbo go, amazon, hulu, etc) all work fine.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I thought they were accepting magic in the MCU as of Dr Strange? Why did they need to ground Iron Fist in science?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

King Burgundy posted:

I thought they were accepting magic in the MCU as of Dr Strange? Why did they need to ground Iron Fist in science?

My reading of that, which can be completely wrong, was that perhaps they were grounding his use of his powers in science, not the source of the powers themselves. That is, they might limit what he can do to keep things a bit more grounded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Nobody is going to be like Kat Dennings was in Thor.

Thank loving God.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's Jimmy Olsen as Guardian on Supergirl. Which I guess is a thing now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh for gently caress's sake.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I never thought we'd agree Rhyno

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I never thought we'd agree Rhyno

Even I have my limits.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Supergirl did very well for a CW show in its time slot, but was still down from the finale last season.

CW is also carried in millions less homes than CBS. Lower ratings are to be expected.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

It's like CW execs heard people saying the Diamondback costume in Luke Cage looked bad and said "Oh yeah? We'll show you bad costume design!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TwoPair posted:

It's like CW execs heard people saying the Diamondback costume in Luke Cage looked bad and said "Oh yeah? We'll show you bad costume design!"

Well, they had to welcome him to the CW somehow.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

See also: The Rival's Power Ranger villain impression.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Jesus, seriously. Wasn't the modern Guardian literally just a guy in a really practical SWAT costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Better than the comics version