Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah there are annual emissions and safety inspections in Pennsylvania. The only real problem with it is finding a decent shop that won't just find something wrong with your car for shits and giggles and a few hundred bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Yeah there are annual emissions and safety inspections in Pennsylvania. The only real problem with it is finding a decent shop that won't just find something wrong with your car for shits and giggles and a few hundred bucks.

Conversely, there are plenty of shops that will pass your vehicle that has many things wrong with it for less than a few hundred bucks.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

ChesterJT posted:

Not sure where you got your info from but Indiana in fact requires no testing or inspections of any kind.

Not accoring to http://www.dmv.org/in-indiana/smog-check.php.

The State of Indiana so suck it posted:

Inspection Requirements
You must bring in your vehicle for emissions testing every 2 years before registration renewal.
Your vehicle requires inspection if it:
Is registered in Lake or Porter county.
Was manufactured after 1976.
Vehicles 4 model years old and newer are exempt; see “Inspection Exemptions" below.
Weighs 9,000 lbs. or under.

Granted 99% of the vehicles end up being exempt but your statement is still false.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't know about the UK, but in france/netherlands/sweden you just get a fine (but no points).
In germany they want your points too so they use dual cameras (one for your plate, one for your face).

Pretty sure you can lose your license in Sweden for excessive speed past a camera, as long as they can positively identify you as the driver. However, since the cameras here are designed to slow down traffic at dangerous points ,and not to be revenue generators, they put up big signs right before the camera to ensure you are aware of the camera coming up and will slow down accordingly. If you are inattentive enough to miss a big sign with a camera symbol on it you really do deserve what's coming.

Norway has those sneaky cameras that measure average speed on a stretch of road, but everywhere I've driven there those, too, are clearly advertised ahead of time and the intent is to make people drive slower.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

* Exhaust sound level and emissions.

Emissions I agree with, but have you seen the inspection place actually crack down on sound level? I never see them measure it when I take my cars in, and I am preeeeetty sure my 928 is nowhere near appropriate sound levels with the current exhaust setup. (OTOH, they probably only see that 928 so have nothing to compare to...)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 10, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Emissions I agree with, but have you seen the inspection place actually crack down on sound level? I never see them measure it when I take my cars in, and I am preeeeetty sure my 928 is nowhere near appropriate sound levels with the current exhaust setup.
I had a ricer exhaust in highschool and got a sound citation on a traffic stop. My dad answered the summons and argued there's no specified way to measure and got it knocked down to a warning. He said the magistrate seemed pissed because it was just the one traffic cop writing tickets for noisy exhausts and everyone seemed to call his bluff by answering the summons.

As far as inspections and practical enforcement goes I think the de facto enforcement in most places is "has a muffler and there are no holes in the pipes."

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the Netherlands you can request evidence. In that case they will send you a copy of the photo, for a fee I think. You can use that to prove you weren't in fact driving through red at that point, or that someone stole your plates and is driving in another car using your plates. If the defense is valid you don't have to pay the fine nor the photo fee.

OTOH, a little while ago a judge here made a town remove a speed cam because it was evident that in that specific location it wouldn't increase safety and would purely be there to give the town extra income.

In the U.K. you can't request evidence but you are allowed to ask for any photos 'which may help identify the driver'.

They usually point you to a web link which shows a photo of the back of your car taken at night.

Like I said, with fixed penalty speeding fines the onus is very much on the driver to prove innocence rather than the police to prove guilt.

The govt.'s stance is that giving speeders a way to admit what they've done and dispense with it without a court visit is better all round.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Emissions testing for businesses/trucks/commercial vehicles isn't the same as personal vehicles

Yeah sure my work truck needs a crapton of inspections done but my personal car? lol

I basically get a yearly inspection anyways since I take my car into the shop to check up on everything to make sure its running well

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

FogHelmut posted:

Conversely, there are plenty of shops that will pass your vehicle that has many things wrong with it for less than a few hundred bucks.

Same in Virginia, you have to hunt for a shop that won't bilk you for hundreds in unnecessary repairs. Then there are shops that pretty much just do inspections only, will probably pass you but there is often a 3 hour plus wait to get inspected, since everyone goes there. The free market has created the most inefficient system for inspections, would rather get them done at the dang DMV.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Granted 99% of the vehicles end up being exempt but your statement is still false.

So basically Chicago enforced its will on the Indiana suburbs, lol

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Mr. Sharps posted:

Looks like the control room at reactor B in hanford washington. I'm not sure if they're still giving tours of the place, what with all sorts of other OSHA related radioactive waste leaks and whatnot around there at the moment, but speaking from experience the view behind that panel is an absolute miracle of hydraulic plumbing.

This is the view behind that panel

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
You had me at very deep vat of varnish.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

El Gar posted:

This is the view behind that panel

Pneumatic instrumentation and controls are really something. How long do you give it until pneumatic punks take over for steam punks and people start gluing regulators and needle valves to a hat?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

My statement is not false. I have lived here for over 30 years, owned several vehicles of varying ages and makes/models, had them registered dozens of times, and have never once been asked to do any kind of inspection. Then multiply that for every person I've ever known and met in my life that lives here and the answer is most definitely no.

Lake Co may require inspections but the State of Indiana does not. Also your link doesn't work.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChesterJT posted:

My statement is not false. I have lived here for over 30 years, owned several vehicles of varying ages and makes/models, had them registered dozens of times, and have never once been asked to do any kind of inspection. Then multiply that for every person I've ever known and met in my life that lives here and the answer is most definitely no.

Lake Co may require inspections but the State of Indiana does not. Also your link doesn't work.

He just had a period at the end of the url:

quote:

Your vehicle requires inspection if it:

Is registered in Lake or Porter county.
Was manufactured after 1976.
Vehicles 4 model years old and newer are exempt; see “Inspection Exemptions" below.
Weighs 9,000 lbs. or under.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Living in Porter county I can confirm this. My 03' Toyota Camry meets the criteria, but it's not much of a hassle.

I wish we had annual checks though, if only for the lovely vehicles people drive around here.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I saw that text in the quote. Even if that site is true (dmv.org is not an official site of any state bmv) my point is that two counties out of the entire state of 92 requiring something does not in any way translate to "Indiana requires inspections".

Sorry to goons in the Region. Chicago is screwing you over. :(

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
It's because we're east of Chicago's anus.

Don't ask me why I think this, the phrase just feels right. Much better than "The Region" anyway.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

El Diablo Bob O posted:

It's because we're east of Chicago's anus.

Don't ask me why I think this, the phrase just feels right. Much better than "The Region" anyway.

GAAARY

GAAAAARRRYYYY

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

zedprime posted:

Pneumatic instrumentation and controls are really something. How long do you give it until pneumatic punks take over for steam punks and people start gluing regulators and needle valves to a hat?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

I saw that text in the quote. Even if that site is true (dmv.org is not an official site of any state bmv) my point is that two counties out of the entire state of 92 requiring something does not in any way translate to "Indiana requires inspections".

Sorry to goons in the Region. Chicago is screwing you over. :(

Indiana requires inspections if certain conditions are met how exactly is this difficult for you to understand. Like most states!

I mean it's over 10 percent of the state by population it isn't some tiny thing. Hopefully this was of some help.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Ironically, I think the current inspection system in Texas is such that you can fail an inspection on wipers or a cracked windshield, but you will pass if you literally don't have a windshield; still fail on the wipers, though.

Mufflers that make excessive noise might have a hole, and a hole in the muffler is grounds for failing an inspection. A lot of places are cracking down on loud cars, whether it's loud mufflers or loud music, it's like a $500 ticket around here, but they're somewhat lax about it unless there's a complaint.

OSHA talk: cold weather is almost upon us, and I've been meaning to ask, is there some manner of OSHA regulation about tower structures and falling ice? Got a comm tower right next to an outside walkway and I saw the vids of falling ice a while ago, wondering if there's liability for crowning someone with a chunk of frozen goodness on an open walkway.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mistle posted:

OSHA talk: cold weather is almost upon us, and I've been meaning to ask, is there some manner of OSHA regulation about tower structures and falling ice? Got a comm tower right next to an outside walkway and I saw the vids of falling ice a while ago, wondering if there's liability for crowning someone with a chunk of frozen goodness on an open walkway.

We've been doing this big safety initiative at work and it's one of those ratcheting things where slowly but surely they'll take anything that's "unsafe" and try to make it "safe" ignoring utterly the fact that these aren't binary qualities, and that safety can be difficult to measure.

Example: One of the doors into my building had a handicapped opener stuck on it a few years ago. Press the button, door swings open, you walk into the building. So of course people started using that door more often because even if you have all your limbs working, when your hands are full it's easier (and safer!) to bump the button with your hip than try to finagle a latched door open. Especially those double doors of which one random side is always locked for some reason I can never, ever figure out. But anyway, that door leads to a path through the high bay where a bunch of test equipment is and there are usually tests going on. So despite the fact that nobody's ever been injured by, say, a hydraulic actuator rupturing and throwing a hunk of metal into the skull of some engineer who's just walking by carrying his cafeteria lunch to his desk, they decided to stick a RFID lock on that door so only certain people with the right badges can use it.

I asked about this at one of our safety meetings: How are you quantifying safety improvements in order to ascertain that they're actually improvements? Because in this specific case, you've got:

Injuries prior to installation of lock: 0
Injuries subsequent to installation of lock: 0

So, hey, how bad could it be? Maybe it didn't improve safety, but it didn't hurt it, right?

Except now people with their hands full are going to walk an extra hundred yards to the next handicapped door, rather than fuss with the nearer latched, randomly-half-locked double door, and in the winter there's ice and snow. So you've lowered the risk of people getting fragged by a piece of exploding actuator, but you've increased the chance of slip and fall injuries, which are probably a bigger concern for workplace safety. Are you even bothering to track that sort of unintended downstream consequence?

Judging by the answer I got, no. No they are not.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Emissions I agree with, but have you seen the inspection place actually crack down on sound level? I never see them measure it when I take my cars in, and I am preeeeetty sure my 928 is nowhere near appropriate sound levels with the current exhaust setup. (OTOH, they probably only see that 928 so have nothing to compare to...)
I've never heard anyone get failed on sound level, but I guess if you're driving around with a hole in your muffler they'll notice.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Hyperlynx posted:

Bullshit. Prove it. Link your sources if you're going to make such outrageous claims.

I know we're well past this but here's your link: http://www.dumbwaystodie.com/psa/

However it's a bit unfair to say that they did it instead of performing infrastructure works since the budget for large capital works has to be allocated by the government to the private company.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

johnnyratbastard posted:

Same in nz, every 6 months.

quote:

broken speedo

We have that in the states too, it's called indecent exposure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Eh lowhead dams are harmless.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Well then.. For once, the guy riding a bucket isn't the problem.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't think that's how you're supposed to tie off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The guy on the ladder is wearing waders.

I don’t want to imagine why.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mistle posted:

At my company the general rule for lattice tower drop zones is 1m out for every 2m up, so if it's a 20m tower try not to stand within 10m when it's looking icy I guess.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

tsa posted:

Indiana requires inspections if certain conditions are met how exactly is this difficult for you to understand. Like most states!

I mean it's over 10 percent of the state by population it isn't some tiny thing. Hopefully this was of some help.

Are you going to be ok?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 11, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Torque vs power output at max power RPM.

That doesn't explain why the brushless AC motor (440VAC) in our 2005 Haas mill generates 7.5 horsepower at 6000 RPM, while a similarly-sized brushless DC motor (112VDC) in a 2015 Zero SR motorcycle generates 67 horsepower at 4,000 RPM.

I get that motors are optimized for different things, but an entire order of magnitude is ridiculous. What has happened in the last 10 years to make motors so much more powerful?

IPCRESS posted:

Two things: Duty Cycle and Marketing Bullshit.

45eHP and the size of a coffee can will get hot quickly and will either need lots of active cooling (which makes it significantly larger), and/or to not be run for very long at full load. I don't think I've seen an electric motor with continuous/5 minute power shown on the nameplate, but I'm certain one exists. 3eHP motor the same size (assuming it's not a China Export special where they have a huge case full of air with a small motor to keep it company) will probably cheerfully run at full load at 45ºC forever. Guy running the tool not so much.

Marketing wank /should/ be OSHA in the sense that there should be a season where marketers can legally be shot under a permit system, but since that's not legal it's not OSHA.

I get duty cycle stuff for sure. The Haas can run at 7.5hp forever, or 10hp at a 30% duty cycle, or 12hp for 10% or something like that. The Zero motor also overheats if you run it full power for any length of time.

But it's ten times the rating and both motors are the size of a coffee can, both air-cooled. There has to be something else going on.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 11, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

I get that motors are optimized for different things, but an entire order of magnitude is ridiculous. What has happened in the last 10 years to make motors so much more powerful?

Neodymium.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

That doesn't explain why the brushless AC motor (440VAC) in our 2005 Haas mill generates 7.5 horsepower at 6000 RPM, while a similarly-sized brushless DC motor (112VDC) in a 2015 Zero SR motorcycle generates 67 horsepower at 4,000 RPM.

What kind of Haas mill? You talking Super Mini Mill? Super VF 2? Super Mini Mill 2? VF 2ss? You need to be more specific.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

60 Hz AC vs. much higher switching frequencies for the brushless DC motor

If you’ve ever heard of aircraft using 400 Hz AC for weight savings, that’s a similar concept.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sponge Baathist posted:

What kind of Haas mill? You talking Super Mini Mill? Super VF 2? Super Mini Mill 2? VF 2ss? You need to be more specific.

:rolleyes:

It's a Super Mini Mill with the older 6kRPM spindle and vector drive.

Platystemon posted:

60 Hz AC vs. much higher switching frequencies for the brushless DC motor

How does a higher switching frequency enable higher power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The mill puts out as much power as it needs to, and is built large because it's cheaper to assemble and inertia is nice for a mill to have. The mill is also potentially expected to put out 7.5hp continuously, and that rating is likely its continuous-duty rating instead of a peak rating.

The Zero SR will do 67hp, but for how long? There's an inherent limiter in the battery pack itself for how long it can put out 67hp. If you had it on some unlimited supply, the motor would likely cook itself before too terribly long.

Also neodymium magnets are pretty baller.