Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you live in a big enough city you can usually find someone around town who will clean out the carbon build up for a few hundred dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
That reminds me I need to do it in my Genesis, a little over 50k and I'm sure it's easier to get rid of before it gets bad.

That being said, I'll take it any day over port fuel injection. They added about 40hp by bumping the compression ratio of the motor and increased fuel economy while doing that. Worth the occasional extra maintenance to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

If you live in a big enough city you can usually find someone around town who will clean out the carbon build up for a few hundred dollars.

And she might be able to help you out with your engine, too!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr-Spain posted:

Tommy Boy dude.

That movie is old enough to drink.

:corsair:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

If the DI carbon thing is really as serious as VW apologists claim then we should be hearing a lot about carbon buildup on Hyundai/Kia, GM, Mazda(skyactiv) and Honda DI engines, none of which use secondary injectors.

What's more likely, that all these other companies that sell many times more DI engined cars than VW does are wrong and somehow there has been no public outcry? Or that VW is just bad at making engines?

Mitsubishi, Nissan and Toyota all had the same issues back in the 90s/early 2000s too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dissss posted:

Mitsubishi, Nissan and Toyota all had the same issues back in the 90s/early 2000s too.

And then apparently fixed it. (Maybe not mitsu as they're irrelevant in the US)

Though I've heard of Hyundai/Kia problems. None of which seem uite as bad as the issue I've heard of on Audis and VWs though.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Does no-one sell carburettor cleaner where you live? Dump a pile of that in the intake, leave it overnight, take the plugs out the next morning and give it a crank (or turn it over by hand, or if you're feeling brave/foolish or crank it with the plug leads off) and put the plugs back in. Your engine oil may be somewhat secondhand if the stuff bleeds down your rings.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Seafoam, anyone?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They even make a version for cleaning valves by injecting it into the intake with a straw under the throttle body.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The normal cleaning method is walnut blasting so I'm sure seafoam will work perfectly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4 posted:

100LL leaves white on your exhaust and smells..... fruity... after being burned. I've definitely been behind some bikes that are downright toxic though, watering eyes and poo poo.

To say nothing of the fact that atmospheric lead was correlated very strongly with the 70s, 80s, and early 90s crime wave. Apparently putting very finely atomized lead oxide into the air is bad for people's CNS, who knew?!

BlackMK4 posted:

BMWs have the same issue, on both the diesel and the gas motors.
Subarus are having the issue.

I doubt most people will notice it until it starts affecting performance at the 0-30% engine power range, given that most drivers seem to think they will break the car if they do more than breathe on the throttle/brake, corner at over 15mph, or turn the steering wheel past one turn in either direction. At that point the ports are probably mostly full of carbon buildup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least that's not as bad as an issue with the engine of I think the M5. There are ports that run through the entire engine for some sort of emissions thing that eventually fill up with carbon and get clogged. This does't really affect performance but it does pop up a code in the ECU. The only way to clear the code is to take the engine apart and run a pipe cleaner through all the ports to clear them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds remarkably like the emissions system on an Audi 1.8t engine, except those also have a multitude of bespoke molded rubber elbows and tees and poo poo that have turned into a strange amalgam of tar and dried up rubber that shatters the second you look at it funny except it also leaves thick greasy tarry sludge on your hands, oh and they're all held on with oetiker clamps. It's loving bullshit and a friend of mine tuned his just to delete all the emissions codes for that system so he could rip it off and put blockoff plates on instead of spending 3 figures on bullshit at the dealer to reassemble it after painstakingly de-sludging/de-carboning the whole thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I doubt most people will notice it until it starts affecting performance at the 0-30% engine power range, given that most drivers seem to think they will break the car if they do more than breathe on the throttle/brake, corner at over 15mph, or turn the steering wheel past one turn in either direction. At that point the ports are probably mostly full of carbon buildup.

I think the Minis start chucking variable valve timing codes when the head finally gets caked up enough.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cojawfee posted:

At least that's not as bad as an issue with the engine of I think the M5. There are ports that run through the entire engine for some sort of emissions thing that eventually fill up with carbon and get clogged. This does't really affect performance but it does pop up a code in the ECU. The only way to clear the code is to take the engine apart and run a pipe cleaner through all the ports to clear them.

IIRC this was the E39 M5 and only was an issue if you didn't regularly flog the car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

To say nothing of the fact that atmospheric lead was correlated very strongly with the 70s, 80s, and early 90s crime wave. Apparently putting very finely atomized lead oxide into the air is bad for people's CNS, who knew?!

I somehow never heard of this, but holy hell that guy put up a serious argument for it.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

IIRC this was the E39 M5 and only was an issue if you didn't regularly flog the car.

Yeah my brother has an E39 M5 and it has that problem. It's an issue with the secondary air injection system specifically. He daily drives it on a highway to get to work and definitely isn't the most conservative driver but it cropped up anyway. At this point those cars are getting up there in terms of mileage so it almost seems like an inevitability that this issue will come up unless you take it to the track for a full-on Italian tuneup every few months or pull the heads and get them walnut blasted. Like someone else mentioned it doesn't really seem to affect performance and just turns a light on so he ignores it.

Also while we're on the topic of carbon buildup.. :unsmigghh:

2005 Corolla (1ZZ-FE engine) that I did the intake manifold gasket on a while back. The factory manifold gasket was poorly designed piece of trash that could fail as early as 30k miles and this one still had it at ~130k with the associated massive vacuum leak. The entire intake tract has a nice thick layer of buildup but the valves were perfectly clean. I never did find out where all that oil came from. The dipstick level never moves so it's almost as if someone dumped half a bottle of oil on one corner of the engine and left it there.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The old fashioned way to clean carbon off intake valves was to get it really good and hot ( 10 minutes of highway speed) hold the throttle plate slightly open and let it ingest a pencil stream of water which will flake the poo poo off the valves.

Probably not viable on anything with a cat but hey :)

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

DethMarine21 posted:

Yeah my brother has an E39 M5 and it has that problem. It's an issue with the secondary air injection system specifically. He daily drives it on a highway to get to work and definitely isn't the most conservative driver but it cropped up anyway. At this point those cars are getting up there in terms of mileage so it almost seems like an inevitability that this issue will come up unless you take it to the track for a full-on Italian tuneup every few months or pull the heads and get them walnut blasted. Like someone else mentioned it doesn't really seem to affect performance and just turns a light on so he ignores it.

Also while we're on the topic of carbon buildup.. :unsmigghh:

2005 Corolla (1ZZ-FE engine) that I did the intake manifold gasket on a while back. The factory manifold gasket was poorly designed piece of trash that could fail as early as 30k miles and this one still had it at ~130k with the associated massive vacuum leak. The entire intake tract has a nice thick layer of buildup but the valves were perfectly clean. I never did find out where all that oil came from. The dipstick level never moves so it's almost as if someone dumped half a bottle of oil on one corner of the engine and left it there.

1ZZ-FEs are notorious for burning/using oil. One of the big culprits is PCV valves that never get changed and block up, which I assume forces oil vapors backwards down the fresh air hose for the PCV system.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

1ZZ-FEs are notorious for burning/using oil. One of the big culprits is PCV valves that never get changed and block up, which I assume forces oil vapors backwards down the fresh air hose for the PCV system.

Yup; I've read about all the issues like stuck piston rings and other stuff but like I said the oil dipstick level never seems to move. I replaced the PCV valve too at one point and the old one tested good so.. :iiam:
The oil dipstick probably isn't a very accurate measurment now that I think about it. I should find some time to give the engine block a good clean and see if anything is leaking. I haven't taken the intake manifold off again since doing that gasket two years ago because :effort:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have to admit something. I have no idea if my engine has PCV, and if it does, no idea where the PCV valve is. There's a breather hose from the valve cover to the intake, but I've never been able to find a part number for a PCV valve. Rockauto does list a "PCV Breather Hose" that looks like the hose I mentioned.

Almost 155k and it loses about a quart and a half between ~9-10k synthetic oil changes, so if it does have a PCV valve, I guess it's working the way it should? I'd assume it's built into the valve cover if it has one. I've never even had the valve cover off, so I have no idea what it looks like inside. :downs:

e: I guess I'm the horrible mechanical failure here, but if it ain't broke... drat thing doesn't even leak.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 12, 2016

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So, Mathias Wandel is some sort of savant when it comes to wood. But, with metal, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQon7u8kMtk

"The axle is electrical conduit, so I hammered a dowel inside to give it some strength."

"plasma cutting pantograph..." Is this something that exists in rational time and space?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

fakeaccount posted:

"plasma cutting pantograph..." Is this something that exists in rational time and space?

Yes, but people churning out enough copies of the same thing for it to be worthwhile will usually get a CAM table instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dude wanted something he could cut metal with, but was small enough to break down and move between his two shops. Or, cheap enough he could build two of them, and just move the plasma torch between them.

I think it's...okay. Nothing compared to the rest of the video.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I don't have any photos as evidence but I swear a majority of the Cayennes and X5's I've seen is recent months have had the back tires bald for at least a 1/3rd of their depth. Always on the outside of the tire and some worse than others but generally the back tires are knackered. Is it a case of not giving a poo poo or do the tires really wear that poorly just on the outside 1/3rd? I think the winner of the award though was the X5 with all four tires bald on the outside edges.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Newer ones? Around here, people buy old cars of that size and then poo poo a brick when they hear that a single tire is the price of a full set for the Corolla they had previously.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bolind posted:

Newer ones? Around here, people buy old cars of that size and then poo poo a brick when they hear that a single tire is the price of a full set for the Corolla they had previously.

X5's and Cayennes now hit the mark of Cheap enough for the poors to buy a 10 year old one.
My work parking lot have been recently filling with these and I know why: (It's not like I work at a place where the majority makes bank. I"m probably in teh top 10% of earners in the building and I don't earn that much. ).
People buy them because "HEY I can get a Cayenne/x5 for less than a 2013 civic, time to live the baller style life I wanted 10 years ago when they were 70k!"
Drive them on the tires that came form the used dealer which were probably passable at the time, and don't align it because they can only barely afford the car.
Shop says you need tires sometimes soon.. that'll be $1,200
Continues to drive on bald poo poo tires with no alignment until tax money comes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bolind posted:

I saw a guy absolutely lose it the other day at a tire shop because he was told that after blowing out one tire on his BMW X3 he now had to replace all four rather than chew up the centre diff.

I'm guessing a full set of tires for that X3 was probably about the same as what he would have paid for an entire used Corolla.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw a guy absolutely lose it the other day at a tire shop because he was told that after blowing out one tire on his BMW X3 he now had to replace all four rather than chew up the centre diff.

I'm guessing a full set of tires for that X3 was probably about the same as what he would have paid for an entire used Corolla.

I guess they couldn't shave the tire?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Mr-Spain posted:

I guess they couldn't shave the tire?

From the sound of it the remaining three were pretty much bald and the one that he brought in was just the first one to let go of the set.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I had to replace all four on my Corolla the other day. The mechanic pointed out a couple of tyres sitting on the other side of the shop, initially I thought they were racing slicks given the size of them. Nope just off the back of an X5-M and bald as gently caress. Apparently the woman only replaced them due to a massive nail through one, the fronts were just as bad but NOPE :nyd:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm not sure if it's related but X5s always look like they have a lot of negative rear camber. Not sure if it's just the wide-rear end tyres accentuating it or if there's some suspension fuckery going on to try and save the outer edge of the tyre.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

I'm not sure if it's related but X5s always look like they have a lot of negative rear camber. Not sure if it's just the wide-rear end tyres accentuating it or if there's some suspension fuckery going on to try and save the outer edge of the tyre.

Many new cars come with the rear set up like that. Basically they assume the bushing which helps keep that alignment true will wear out. Thus no longer having so much negative camber.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Atleast the manufacturers are aware that the target market for those things are just going to neglect them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol if you're leasing them long enough for tire wear to matter

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

clam ache posted:

Many new cars come with the rear set up like that. Basically they assume the bushing which helps keep that alignment true will wear out. Thus no longer having so much negative camber.

Interesting, I haven't heard that theory. Every car I've come across that does it so that the rear is kept stable to eliminate oversteer. We usually take camber out of the rear when setting up most modern cars for track to get a smidge of rotation.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Interesting, I haven't heard that theory. Every car I've come across that does it so that the rear is kept stable to eliminate oversteer. We usually take camber out of the rear when setting up most modern cars for track to get a smidge of rotation.

Wouldn't it be due to the x5 having a high c of g and hence to give a reasonable contact patch when it's cornering, i.e what brigdh said?

Speaking of suvs, I have now seen someone driving an Evoque convertible with the top down and holy poo poo does it look dumb.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Saga posted:

Wouldn't it be due to the x5 having a high c of g and hence to give a reasonable contact patch when it's cornering, i.e what brigdh said?

So, it's set up like a drift car?

(I think that's how drift cars are set up. Im no expert.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saga posted:

Speaking of suvs, I have now seen someone driving an Evoque convertible with the top down and holy poo poo does it look dumb.

Oh wow, it's like a jacuzzi on wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Saga posted:

I actually really like it with the top down. It makes me think of a tall Saab