Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Stealth is cool. Why don't y'all like stealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Darth Windu posted:

Because I'm bad at using it and worse at detecting it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please God can we make a rule outlawing theoretical hero ability chat.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The spell is going to deal damage over time in an area and you're all going to have a real sour look once they tell you so.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Internet Explorer posted:

This is the ultimate for the hero after sombra.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

it's either too strong or utterly useless in mp and either way it's annoying and not very fun for anyone that isn't the stealth guy

it'd be different if the game were designed around it but overwatch isn't

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I loved playing the stealth character in monday night combat I hope sombra is
as annoying as that

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

God

Lmb: lightning bolt
Rmb: flamethrower
Shift: summon a swarm of locusts to do damage over time to an area
E: shoot a blast of healing energy at an ally
Q: flood the entire map and kill everyone

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is no Gibson to hack so obviously she wont be hacking

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Darth Windu posted:

It is the sole province of scoundrels and unworthy of a true warrior.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

God

Lmb: lightning bolt
Rmb: flamethrower
Shift: summon a swarm of locusts to do damage over time to an area
E: shoot a blast of healing energy at an ally
Q: flood the entire map and kill everyone

Isn't there a moba (MOBA? Is it an acronym?) where you literally play as various deities?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kai Tave posted:

Isn't there a moba (MOBA? Is it an acronym?) where you literally play as various deities?

smite

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Manatee Cannon posted:

(...) either way it's annoying and not very fun for anyone that isn't the stealth guy

As long as we have not one, but two Snipers that can one-shot you from across the map, Roadhog's wombo combo, and Mei's entire kit, I feel like stealth is far from the worst offender here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Genji's dragonblade hitbox is completely retarded (and so is his deflect hitbox but that's a lesser issue)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Genji's dragonblade hitbox is completely retarded (and so is his deflect hitbox but that's a lesser issue)

qft

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
delete genji

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Sophism posted:

and Mei's entire kit

I get that Mei is annoying when you're caught alone but she seems rather ineffectual if you're playing near your team at all. Outside of her ult and being able to pester tanks that push up too far I don't get all the hate for her? She seems like one of the more genuinely unique and fun characters on the roster and if I weren't garbage at landing her M2 I'd be playing a lot more of her.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
people who hate mei are people who can't play mei well :smug:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Mei loving rules

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
She's like Roadhog in that people are all "oh my god Mei is so loving OP" as they charge in completely separated from their team

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

now that I've been playing competitive I basically just play her and d.va and it's so good

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The people that unironically want characters deleted from the game probably just need to go play another game, because they'd just reduce everything to generic shooter. It isn't a legitimate criticism to whine about a character (this is different from actual balance), it's being salty you got outplayed.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

FaustianQ posted:

The people that unironically want characters deleted from the game probably just need to go play another game, because they'd just reduce everything to generic shooter. It isn't a legitimate criticism to whine about a character (this is different from actual balance), it's being salty you got outplayed.

seriously my coworker complains about mei all the goddamn time and it gets so old

if you hate her so much just play her and get good and annoy other people! that's why she rules!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Roadhog punishes bad positioning, Mei punishes horrible positioning.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

2MB posted:

I get that Mei is annoying when you're caught alone but she seems rather ineffectual if you're playing near your team at all. Outside of her ult and being able to pester tanks that push up too far I don't get all the hate for her? She seems like one of the more genuinely unique and fun characters on the roster and if I weren't garbage at landing her M2 I'd be playing a lot more of her.

People dont like losing control of their character in a competitive game. Mei also has a high griefing potential for the people on her team.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Night Blade posted:

People dont like losing control of their character in a competitive game. Mei also has a high griefing potential for the people on her team.

Yea but McCree is fine? I get the griefing thing but the number of Mei's I've seen actively trying to grief their own team is so inconsequential that you could lump it in with Mercy's who only use the pistol or damage Ana's. I think she's just got a reputation that is blown out of proportion compared to what she's actually capable of. I know you're not trying to be the voice of the masses here, but I find the whole gently caress MEI thing so silly.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

2MB posted:

it's the wall and the ult the size of wisconsin

that's pretty much it

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Ruggington posted:

it's the wall

I honestly see the enemy Mei's walls help us more than harm because 90% of the time they're just blocking off a random door which forces our whole team to group up and push together. But now we're well into anecdote territory so I'll leave it at that.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've had comp matches completely destroyed by mei because she'd wall off a tank, build ult off of them, and ult every serious push we could muster that didn't involve somebody getting picked because of the wall

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

2MB posted:

Abilities which take away your ability to move feel lovely. Similar to Roadhogs hook. When all the counterplay comes w positioning to not get hit in the first place it can be a bit frustrating I think.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Abilities which take away your ability to move feel lovely. Similar to Roadhogs hook. When all the counterplay comes w positioning to not get hit in the first place it can be a bit frustrating I think.

I can understand why this is a difficult concept for non-MOBA players. I can't think of any other FPS games where you get punished so brutally for not perfectly watching your step. Personally, I really like the counterplay of moving in and out of the other guy's range but that stems from a long history of footsies in fighting games and MOBA's in general.

2MB fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 11, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The only cancer in this game is tracer

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Ruggington posted:

I've had comp matches completely destroyed by mei because she'd wall off a tank, build ult off of them, and ult every serious push we could muster that didn't involve somebody getting picked because of the wall

This is the proper way to play Mei. Walling off an entrance has it's perks but a good Mei divides an enemy team from their tanks and annihilates a push. Mei is also really good at substituting for a tank in a pinch when graviton'd or dealing with a AOE/Zoning ult if your timing and awareness are good. Mei's good but without her ult radius she'd be considered a bit subpar again because it's zoning potential would be too low.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Except CC is counterplay, some characters would be nightmarish to play against if there was no CC. Positioning is a basic skill, if you're caught out you should be punished; it's a frustrating experience if you refuse to learn from it or or recognize it was your own error. And if you're being hard countered, switch.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The only cancer in this game is tracer

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mei can be frustrating because of her iceblock imo. So many times ive out played her snd she is lol invuln. Grawr

Genji is the cancer though. Its not his kit but how its implemented. Lol reflect everything North if the Mason Dixin. Also my sword is a football field long and hits behind and around me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like the size buff to Mei's ult was good for making it not trivially easy to ignore...seriously, prior to that change it basically did nothing unless you were playing with genuine hanjo-tier level players with no awareness whatsoever...but with the "self healing gives ult" change and her crazy headshot damage with her M2 it probably charges faster than it should.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
mei's ult can be avoided just like any other ult when you hear her shouting and unlike d.vas ult if you get caught near it you might not automatically die

mainly if I see a mei on another team when I'm d.va I'll just concentrate on her or if I can't, keep my distance

she can be annoying but she isn't impossible

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Troposphere posted:

mei's ult can be avoided just like any other ult when you hear her shouting and unlike d.vas ult if you get caught near it you might not automatically die

Mei's ult has the advantage of not broadcasting a big glowing icon in your opponents' HUD going "here it is, right over here" and it also can't really be interrupted the way that, say, Deadeye or Hanzo's dragons or can, I've killed plenty of Meis who got one syllable into their ult callout but by that point the robot is already in the air and it's going to go off. You basically have to be primed to run the moment you hear her say anything and hope you picked the right direction. D.Va can eat it with her defense matrix but D.Va is a pretty poor matchup against Mei otherwise, certainly not someone I'd go to for a counterpick.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

when I hear an enemy mei's ult the only thing I know is that there's a 90% chance that this push is over and we lost it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
dva is ok for a counterpick imo because you can distract her long enough for her to kill your mech and then as soon as you're out get some distance and melt her with your pistol

that's usually what I go for. not ideal but at least it keeps her off the rest of the team