Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I worry if they try to put MODOK in the MCU, they'll do something lame so as not to make break non-comic fans' suspension of disblief like they did with Galactus, just making him Evil Stephen Hawking or Evil Precog from Minority Report or an evil supercomputer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

nerdman42 posted:

What exactly was Daredevil's overarching theme and genre?
Justice is blind.

Non joke answer: Fighting for justice in a corrupt world. Genre would be something like hardboiled action crime drama.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

What exactly was Daredevil's overarching theme and genre?

Gentrification

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nelson posted:

Justice is blind.

Non joke answer: Fighting for justice in a corrupt world. Genre would be something like hardboiled action crime drama.

What does "fighting for justice" even mean? It's right up there with War on Terror. Nebulous to the point of distraction.

That's a ... limited ... thematic reading.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Drifter posted:

What does "fighting for justice" even mean? It's right up there with War on Terror. Nebulous to the point of distraction.

Moral relativism isn't fashionable anymore.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's a gritty Catholic guilt ninja. Pretty much has been since the 80s when he developed more of a personality and plot. That's his thing. Massive amounts of guilt, then flip kicking a dude in the face.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Having talent doesn't make you good at something if you're unable to execute that talent properly.

He is able to execute it properly. He just stopped doing so because he got distracted. In Season 1 he was an excellent lawyer.

So the accurate statement would be "Matt became a lovely lawyer" and not "Season 2 showed us that Matt is a lovely lawyer" :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only through 7 episodes of Luke Cage, but man I like this dude who plays Shades. I can't believe I haven't seen him in more stuff.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Drifter posted:

Whatever man. He's a fighter above all else, like his father before him. What is he fighting for? The people of Hell's kitchen. Why? It's his home. It has been overrun by criminal gangs and the cops can't stop them. The people need justice. How does he fight? Through the law by day. Vigilantism by night. His moral code prefers the legal route but sometimes the legal system needs help. Setting aside his logically thought out moral preference, his emotional preference is to smash heads. Both types of actions support the same theme though: fighting for justice.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PostNouveau posted:

Only through 7 episodes of Luke Cage, but man I like this dude who plays Shades. I can't believe I haven't seen him in more stuff.

The only other thing I remember him in was Sons of Anarchy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
luke cage was my first netflix marvel watch, so now I'm catching up on the rest in chronological order. Daredevil has been pretty good the whole way through so far, but S1 episode 8 "Shadows in the Glass" really knocked my socks off. one of the best episodes of dramatic television ever, imo

the scenes with Hoffman being coerced into offing his partner, in particular. Wow!

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
This show annoyed me about as much as JJ did - where they elected a whole bunch of times to not stop Kilgrave so the show could go on. There were just so many dumb, forced situations to justify 13 episodes of content.

I liked Cottonmouth in the first couple of episodes - he seems like he's slightly honorable, trying to do right by Harlem or whatever, while having gone down the criminal path - and he's almost partially sympathetic like someone in The Wire. Then he casually blows up a restaurant and apartment building with a rocket launcher to erase any doubt that he's not a one dimensional twirly mustache cartoon villain.

Diamondback was far, far too reckless and stupid to be the manager of anything. He's just psycho, not some long game strategic mastermind that Shades makes him out to be during the first half of the season. Lots of times where it was unbelievable that his men didn't just shoot him in the face and take all his money.

It was also unbelievable that they had all these superhero-killing weapons the whole time but only when a black man started messing up small time drug dealing in Harlem did the criminals or the police or the governments want to try to use it to fight superheroes. Hello Civil War?

Diamondback would have had a much better time if he had just used his super suit to kill Luke in ep 2. And why did he throw a really harmless grenade into Pop's barber shop at the end there? And also why did his normal bullets start hurting Luke during the opera house fight?...

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 11, 2016

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Vehementi posted:

It was also unbelievable that they had all these superhero-killing weapons the whole time but only when a black man started messing up small time drug dealing in Harlem did the criminals or the police or the governments want to try to use it to fight superheroes. Hello Civil War?

I doubt Luke Cage takes place post-Civil War. Not a single mention of Sokovia or SHIELD falling so it probably falls in the realm of post-Avengers 1. Probably pretty soon after since The Incident is still being hawked on the street.

But overall I agree with your criticisms. The loving rocket launcher really seemed cartoonish to me, but maybe that's a call back to the series' blaxploitation roots which are often corny and over the top.

I just didn't think multiple villains worked out well. I also didn't feel like we really got to know Cottonmouth. Yeah, I know, we had those flashbacks. Maybe Fisk DD Season 1 ruined me, but I was surprised none of the villains had a love story. In fact, none of the villains even seem to have a love interest.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I doubt Luke Cage takes place post-Civil War. Not a single mention of Sokovia or SHIELD falling so it probably falls in the realm of post-Avengers 1. Probably pretty soon after since The Incident is still being hawked on the street.

But overall I agree with your criticisms. The loving rocket launcher really seemed cartoonish to me, but maybe that's a call back to the series' blaxploitation roots which are often corny and over the top.

I just didn't think multiple villains worked out well. I also didn't feel like we really got to know Cottonmouth. Yeah, I know, we had those flashbacks. Maybe Fisk DD Season 1 ruined me, but I was surprised none of the villains had a love story. In fact, none of the villains even seem to have a love interest.

Cottonmouth did have a love interest. This dude named Benjamin and his brothers. Sort of a polyamory thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I figured the rocket launcher was just another way of showing how fragile Cottonmouth was. He had built up such a huge ego and a sense of power around himself, to have that threatened by one man pushed him over the edge. The most dangerous people are often the weakest. Luke Cage is bulletproof but restrained. Cottonmouth is fragile but volatile.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

I figured the rocket launcher was just another way of showing how fragile Cottonmouth was. He had built up such a huge ego and a sense of power around himself, to have that threatened by one man pushed him over the edge. The most dangerous people are often the weakest. Luke Cage is bulletproof but restrained. Cottonmouth is fragile but volatile.

Makes a lot of sense, actually. Cottonmouth had run into a threat he couldn't browbeat into submission or shoot into, well, death. And, despite his much vaunted crimelord status, his finances were not all that liquid. So now he has this brick wall wiping out his cash while refusing to run or hide.

EDIT: And we are not even talking about the damage to his street cred as a ruthless motherfucker. You need that to keep people in line when you aren't watching them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Venuz Patrol posted:

one of the best episodes of dramatic television ever, imo

Bahaha, ok.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Cottonmouth was just inspired by watching some Justified earlier in the day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Electromax posted:

I dunno, I think Blues Brothers would be the more apt inspiration.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Electromax posted:

Is that Walton Goggins as a Neo Nazi?!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Woah, have you not watched Justified?

You need watch Justified.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LadyPictureShow posted:

Among other things, go watch Justified right now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Woah, have you not watched Justified?

You need watch Justified.

howe_sam posted:

Among other things, go watch Justified right now.

I've realized the error of my ways. Gonna watch me some Justified.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LadyPictureShow posted:

I've realized the error of my ways. Gonna watch me some Justified.

Good choice, the penultimate season is a little weak but then it returns to form. Great setting, and Walt Goggins is loving amazing (goes without saying I know).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finishing Luke Cage up. This last episode sucks pretty hard. Also, Diamondback's suit is really underwhelming. Green jump suit and a motorcycle helmet huh?

Y'all right on about Diamondback being too psychotic. His only representative on the show for like 6 episodes is Shades who only ever gives Cottonmouth prudent counsel, and then Diamondback shows up and he's just shooting his own people and running into situations without a plan at all.

They may as well have just stuck with Cottonmouth for the whole season. He could have continued his arc as a Kingpin kind of figure where everything falls apart around him and he gets crazier and crazier as it happens. Remy Danton's a good actor; he could have done a lot more.

But good show. Not as good as Daredevil S1 or Jessica Jones, but still good.

Edit: OK having actually finished, I think I'm looking forward to the second season more than the next Jessica Jones or Daredevil just because Mariah and Shades seem like they'll make very good main villains.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 12, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope Iron First doesn't pull the type of bait-and-switch that DD2 and Luke Cage have pulled, where they change the villain mid-season.

Vehementi posted:

This show annoyed me about as much as JJ did - where they elected a whole bunch of times to not stop Kilgrave so the show could go on. There were just so many dumb, forced situations to justify 13 episodes of content.

I think 13 episodes can work well if the main villain is made to be dangerous/powerful/untouchable enough so that the hero has to slowly work themselves up to a level where they can take him/her on.

With JJ it didn't work because she was revealed to have developed an immunity to Kilgrave's mind control, and the only thing stopping her was her own inner-demons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

enraged_camel posted:

I hope Iron First doesn't pull the type of bait-and-switch that DD2 and Luke Cage have pulled, where they change the villain mid-season.

You really think an entire season of Punisher vs Daredevil would've worked?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like all the Netflix shows except maybe DDS1 are about 3-4 episodes too long and have one too many villain/villain factions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like all the Netflix shows except maybe DDS1 are about 3-4 episodes too long and have one too many villain/villain factions.

Definitely. 10 episodes would have been best for all of them.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

They may as well have just stuck with Cottonmouth for the whole season. He could have continued his arc as a Kingpin kind of figure where everything falls apart around him and he gets crazier and crazier as it happens. Remy Danton's a good actor; he could have done a lot more.

I think the story would have been better if Diamondback was just a crazy dude trying to kill Luke Cage in the middle of Harlem and that Cottonmouth and Mariah were just trying to take advantage of the situation to stop/frame Luke. I think you could keep all the important plot points without too many changes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The sense that I got from the show was that Diamondback was on point until Shades told him Carl Lucas was alive and superpowered. He starts off somewhat effective, but slowly gets crazier and more unhinged as time goes on because he is so insanely jealous of Luke. Dude was the golden boy growing up, and just when Willis thought he had gotten him out of the picture, he shows up again even better than before. So this relatively decent criminal slowly goes off the rails because he just can't believe how good the object of his lifelong hatred has it. Hence why he wants Mariah to turn the city against Cage. As time goes on, he doesn't want to just kill the guy, but force him into disgrace, like how he felt his entire life as a bastard son of a respectable preacher.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's really a matter of the episode count, it's more that the episodic stories aren't being told properly. The overall thematic narrative of JJ wasn't done by episode 10, and it was clear they still had more they wanted to say, but the overall plotting to get to that point didn't work as well as it should have. Making the season shorter doesn't actually fix the problem, because the problem was always that the structure of episodes wasn't being used to its fullest potential. Episode 10 isn't great, but it's not just a "Kilgrave needs to escape" episode. It does a lot more for the characters than that.

I still love JJ, and honestly, with the exception of DD Season 1, I feel like JJ has had the "too many episodes" problem the least out of all the shows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

You really think an entire season of Punisher vs Daredevil would've worked?

No, but they could have made the other villain someone who ties much more readily into the Punisher vs Daredevil story and its themes. As it is, Daredevil Season 2 was two halves of two completely different seasons awkwardly glued together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cythereal posted:

No, but they could have made the other villain someone who ties much more readily into the Punisher vs Daredevil story and its themes. As it is, Daredevil Season 2 was two halves of two completely different seasons awkwardly glued together.

True enough, but I still think if they didn't make the ninjas and the black sky so loving lame it could've worked.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Daredevil vs. Punisher with the Blacksmith becoming involved halfway through could've worked imo (what a waste of Clancy Brown). Excise the dumb Hand ninja stuff, Elektra is an assassin who works for the Blacksmith, boom. If you need a more tangible villain than the Blacksmith, maybe he hires Bullseye as backup for Elektra.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

The sense that I got from the show was that Diamondback was on point until Shades told him Carl Lucas was alive and superpowered. He starts off somewhat effective, but slowly gets crazier and more unhinged as time goes on because he is so insanely jealous of Luke. Dude was the golden boy growing up, and just when Willis thought he had gotten him out of the picture, he shows up again even better than before. So this relatively decent criminal slowly goes off the rails because he just can't believe how good the object of his lifelong hatred has it. Hence why he wants Mariah to turn the city against Cage. As time goes on, he doesn't want to just kill the guy, but force him into disgrace, like how he felt his entire life as a bastard son of a respectable preacher.

But the scene with Diamondback's bible pretty clearly illustrated that he's always been nutty.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

But the scene with Diamondback's bible pretty clearly illustrated that he's always been nutty.

Right, I'm not disputing that the guy hasn't always been off his rocker. But clearly before Luke turned up he was holding it together enough to be a high-level arms dealer. It's only afterwards that he starts to lose his grip on sanity.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Serf posted:

Right, I'm not disputing that the guy hasn't always been off his rocker. But clearly before Luke turned up he was holding it together enough to be a high-level arms dealer. It's only afterwards that he starts to lose his grip on sanity.

I think part of Guy's complaint (and mine too) is that we're told that Diamondback is this guy above Cottonmouth who is his secretive, discrete supplier and that the mere mention of Shade's employer is enough to make Cottonmouth nervous, and that Shades is really only there as a go-between between Diamondback and Cottonmouth. But when Diamondback finally does appear, he clearly has lost his grip on reality outdoing even Cottonmouth's most cartoonish moments.

With quite a few episodes actually hitting the one hour mark, I kind of wish we'd gotten to see more of Diamondback and see him lose his head, just as we kind of did with Cottonmouth. Instead, we get him and he's already loving crazy and he's no more cunning than Cottonmouth was at his lowest.

Serf
May 5, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think part of Guy's complaint (and mine too) is that we're told that Diamondback is this guy above Cottonmouth who is his secretive, discrete supplier and that the mere mention of Shade's employer is enough to make Cottonmouth nervous, and that Shades is really only there as a go-between between Diamondback and Cottonmouth. But when Diamondback finally does appear, he clearly has lost his grip on reality outdoing even Cottonmouth's most cartoonish moments.

With quite a few episodes actually hitting the one hour mark, I kind of wish we'd gotten to see more of Diamondback and see him lose his head, just as we kind of did with Cottonmouth. Instead, we get him and he's already loving crazy and he's no more cunning than Cottonmouth was at his lowest.

I don't disagree. I wish we could've seen more of Diamondback being a hardcore arms dealer. I wish Cottonmouth had lasted longer too. I'm just following the progression of Diamondback's degrading thought process from "I'll snipe him" to "I'll hunt him down" to "I'll turn the city against him and set the cops on him" to finally "I'll dress up in a super-suit and get into a streetfight with him". It all seemed to make sense to me as he gets more and more furious and desperate.

More time spent on Cottonmouth, Mariah, Diamondback and Shades would've been great. I also would've loved to see more of Pistol Pete and Mama Mabel back in the day. Their operation was interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

notthegoatseguy posted:

Well would you want to be around a guy that cuckoo bananas?