Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Inco posted:

Survival mode disables the console.

I'm pretty sure there are mods that reenable the console and mods to make viable fast travel options like a craftable vertibird beacon and if you aren't using at least one of those or something similar you are a sadist and deserve to be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin:

I can tell this game had a troubled development given that it went through two directors. Sometimes the texture-work can get god-awful, just huge flat sufaces with nothing but repeated textures like in Earthern Peak and the Shaded Ruins.

One big flaw is the waste-high walls. Sometimes you drop down a two-foot ledge and you can't return and most egegriously is that you have to kill four big boss monsters to open a door which circumvents some waste-high rubble on a road. This takes 75% of the game.

The NPC who sells you poison equipment can be found in a tunnel full of enemies who dress exactly like him. I held back from killing him but it was too late for that scorpion-man who hung out in what looked like a mini-boss arena. A small convenience is that you can summon NPCs from the grave to do business.

Mr. Ruin Sentinel, you were bad enough as a boss, why do you have to come back as a respawning enemy in a dark, tight hallway?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Oct 10, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I never really feel like modding the games if they don't just have native workshop support, which Bethesda has been to poo poo to enable for FO4.

I mean, it's an old joke they're poo poo at so many things; a competent company would have you be in control of what to enable and what not to (Which is what survival mods for other games usually do) but so long as they're the only game in town they'll get away with this poo poo.

The game also just crashed when I was taking all from my robutt, which means I'm going to have to redo a whole other part, again. I don't mind it when it's poo poo like in Dark Souls or roguelikes, but this is just getting tedious and poo poo.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As my current Fallout character likes her chems I've picked Cait to be my packmule, she's so far even worse than Dogmeat for standing in doorways.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can tell this game had a troubled development given that it went through two directors. Sometimes the texture-work can get god-awful, just huge flat sufaces with nothing but repeated textures like in Earthern Peak and the Shaded Ruins.

One big flaw is the waste-high walls. Sometimes you drop down a two-foot ledge and you can't return and most egegriously is that you have to kill four big boss monsters to open a door which circumvents some waste-high rubble on a road. This takes 75% of the game.

The NPC who sells you poison equipment can be found in a tunnel full of enemies who dress exactly like him. I held back from killing him but it was too late for that scorpion-man who hung out in what looked like a mini-boss arena. A small convenience is that you can summon NPCs from the grave to do business.

Mr. Ruin Sentinel, you were bad enough as a boss, why do you have to come back as a respawning enemy in a dark, tight hallway?

SotFS is also notably considered to be "rom hack" level of difficulty compared to the original release plus DLC. They did a lot of weird remix-y stuff with enemy layouts, like the Pursuer coming back a lot more often. (Which I think is pretty fun, if a bit stupid.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

As a whole I liked Scholar a lot but it really is Dark Souls 2 for People Who Liked Dark Souls 2 And Wanted More. The enemy placement for the most part is more "lore friendly" but it's also full of assholes. Hope you like pursuer and ruin sentinels.

Also the big four-boss door can also be opened by getting a million souls. So if you just want to grind you can totally do that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nuebot posted:

As a whole I liked Scholar a lot but it really is Dark Souls 2 for People Who Liked Dark Souls 2 And Wanted More. The enemy placement for the most part is more "lore friendly" but it's also full of assholes. Hope you like pursuer and ruin sentinels.

Also the big four-boss door can also be opened by getting a million souls. So if you just want to grind you can totally do that.

Is the boss door thing meant for NG+ runs? I know it goes up to like, +9 or something and actually does change when you do that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Miijhal posted:

God Eater 2: Rage Burst's story and cast is so ungodly awful that it is actively killing my interest in a game I otherwise enjoy a lot. It tries so hard to be dark and edgy while also being about the power of friendship, the entire cast consists of blithering idiots and mustache twirlers, and it constantly has dialogue like "The guide has come. The one who shall lead the blood. Hehehe!"

Also there's a dialogue choice where both options are just your character being utterly confused at the idea of "piercing bullets".

I went into that game expecting the story to be really bad, but it was so much worse even than that that I was still kind of taken aback.

Nuebot posted:

I liked the enemy placement more for the most part but the tower of flame and the iron fort are super horrible in SotFS.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Oct 10, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I got Hotline Miami 2 in the Humble Monthly and fffffuuuuuck thiiiiis leeeeevel. It's the one where you storm a tower, and on the second part of it you've got to go left because to the right is one of those fat dudes you can't melee, and you need a gun from the dudes on the left to kill him. Okay, sure. Except those enemies don't patrol, they just wander at random. Either you need to wait for their random bullshit to meander them towards the door where you can knife one then slip away real quick to take out the next one, or you peek your head through the door and get them to chase you around the corner so you can knife them there. I'm not good enough to pull it off reliably and if I succeed at that I have to do every other thing in the level right and boy does the sequel like to throw shitloads of enemies at you.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slime posted:

I got Hotline Miami 2 in the Humble Monthly and fffffuuuuuck thiiiiis leeeeevel. It's the one where you storm a tower, and on the second part of it you've got to go left because to the right is one of those fat dudes you can't melee, and you need a gun from the dudes on the left to kill him. Okay, sure. Except those enemies don't patrol, they just wander at random. Either you need to wait for their random bullshit to meander them towards the door where you can knife one then slip away real quick to take out the next one, or you peek your head through the door and get them to chase you around the corner so you can knife them there. I'm not good enough to pull it off reliably and if I succeed at that I have to do every other thing in the level right and boy does the sequel like to throw shitloads of enemies at you.

how'd ya like dead ahead

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

how'd ya like dead ahead

i did not enjoy it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also Humble Monthly related: Slime Rancher commits one of the cardinal sins of video game jetpacks by making it available to use freely but giving you absolutely nothing to reward or encourage you exploring the environment with it. The rocky plateaus it uses for its environment even seem like they would naturally be conductive to flitting around and finding things but at most you'll find a chicken nest here or there and the only times a jetpack is really useful is the parts where you need it to access a platform or door.

Also just in general I find the idea of putting an Early Access game on sale (especially in a blind bag system like this where you have no idea that your money is going to it and it's taking the same cut as the actual completed games) to be kind of distasteful and against the entire original idea of the Early Access system, but I acknowledge that that battle was lost years ago.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I really adore the art and setting of The Banner Saga, and the battle system works great except for one single thing which ruins the entire thing. The game is set up to where you take a turn, then the enemy takes a turn, no matter how many guys you have on your side or their side, and the game still adheres to an order of unit action. This makes the battles go all kinds of bonkers, requiring obscenely bizarre strategies in order to win, but ultimately it means that your low level guys become absolutely worthless.

I'm at a point in the game where most of my units are level 5 or so, and we just ran into a story-driven thing where we obtain two more units, which are level 1. Well, what am I supposed to do with them? A unit can ONLY gain experience if that unit deals the killing blow, and since these guys are level 1 and facing off against high level enemies, this means I have to do this really awkward whittling down of enemy health and then move my level 1 guy in to attack (and then watch him immediately get knocked out the next round for the same reason.)

One really weird way of exploiting this, also, is if I only have two guys on-screen at a time, and I have one of my guys far away from battle, then my other single guy can make an attack every other round, while the enemy has to cycle through their long roster of units. It means my relatively low-level guy can wail on a high level hard to kill unit every other turn, maybe five times before the other guy gets a turn.

This battle system loving sucks. It makes no sense and it requires strategy that is weird and unintuitive. Adding low level units to the battle only messes up my unit order at this point. I'm better off without them, since I will never be able to level them up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wait, so you only move one unit at a time, regardless of how many mans you have?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Wait, so you only move one unit at a time, regardless of how many mans you have?

You move one unit, then the enemy moves one unit, then you move one, and so on and so forth. You don't get to pick which one you're moving on your turn either, you're going through your whole roster one by one across your turns. This results in the situation he mentioned where having lots of low level people is an absolute death trap as enemies will be able to possibly kill your strong units with no ability to meaningfully counter them where if you only had a few powerful units you can abuse the turn limitations to gang up on enemies whose turn already came and went.

Its a novel approach (when only one enemy is left you go to a classic SRPG system and in Banner Saga 2 a bunch of characters have ways to mess with turn order) but for a lot of folks, myself included, its so unintuitive that it ruins the game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's probably the most moronic and bad way to handle a SRPG lmao.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I could see it kinda working if you are always outnumbered and pretty tough. Have one tough guy get 10 turns against 10 enemies, basically God of War'ing them. :shrug: But other than that, yea that's a poo poo system

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

That's probably the most moronic and bad way to handle a SRPG lmao.

IIRC it was developed as a PVP system first and then they made the single-player game based on it. That and they were so dead-set on avoiding the usual SRPG trap of one super-powered story unit cleaving their way through the enemy force one by one that they willingly sabotaged the entire game just to spite that one tactic.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

IIRC it was developed as a PVP system first and then they made the single-player game based on it. That and they were so dead-set on avoiding the usual SRPG trap of one super-powered story unit cleaving their way through the enemy force one by one that they willingly sabotaged the entire game just to spite that one tactic.

But if you've only got one fast high damage unit that happens anyway but moreso

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Don't forget the part where units get worse the more hurt they are so the best strategy is to almost kill enemy units and leave them alive to poo poo up the enemy's turns. It really feels like they actively tried to make a bad combat system. :allears:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

As much as I adore The Witcher 3, both its expansions are very much enjoying taking all of the money you could reasonably have at the end of the main game. Which would be fine, but I spent all of that on dumb bullshit when I finished W3 for the first time thinking I wouldn't need it and now I don't have the cash for paying a runesmith, upgrading my crappy house nor getting grandmaster armor sets :argh:

I needed to spend that huge mountain of money on changing my skill allocations 10 times and buying useless garbage, why did you not account for this!!!

e: on the flipside this game has the best 'go to a bank to access your money' simulator sidequest ever and I've been laughing like crazy at this so its all forgiven

smuh has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Oct 11, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

That and they were so dead-set on avoiding the usual SRPG trap of one super-powered story unit cleaving their way through the enemy force one by one that they willingly sabotaged the entire game just to spite that one tactic.

You could also just have maps with good mission structure that requires you to attack multiple objectives, but lol that sounds tough.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The Banner Saga is a fine game otherwise. The battle system is not especially complex. A single tweak would fix everything -- to not force staggered turns between you and the computer. I get wanting to do something different than all the other SRPGs, but this simply doesn't work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I caved and bought $10 worth of loot boxes for Overwatch. Managed to get a whole two skins out of all the boxes and still can't afford to buy any good skins. gently caress this terrible terrible system.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I caved and bought $10 worth of loot boxes for Overwatch. Managed to get a whole two skins out of all the boxes and still can't afford to buy any good skins. gently caress this terrible terrible system.

yeah, if only blizzard had some.."trading" system of sorts where you could trade skins for other skins..nah, that doesn't get em money, and apparently neither does the sale of the game itself or they wouldnt do this..right?

anyway, yokai watch 2 is an incredibly fun game except for two things:

god drat it cupistol i've encountered you eleven times now, i've given you a royal icecream every single time, WHY WON'T YOU JOIN ME?

remember the incredibly stupid parts of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan where you had to spin a fuckton? That's an entire minigame in this game! I hope you liked having a relatively pristine screen that wasnt all scratched up

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any game with "crates" or "boxes" that you have to buy keys to is trash. Even Rocket League.

I know developers have to make money, but for some reason, it doesn't agree with me at all. Makes PC games feel like cellphone games. I know I don't have to participate in it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

spit on my clit posted:

yeah, if only blizzard had some.."trading" system of sorts where you could trade skins for other skins..nah, that doesn't get em money, and apparently neither does the sale of the game itself or they wouldnt do this..right?

Blizzard is just smart enough to know that that bubble is going to burst any day now and they don't want to be stuck having to deal with the fallout CS:GO is going through.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Any game with "crates" or "boxes" that you have to buy keys to is trash. Even Rocket League.

Fuckin' League did it right. People want to buy a few things for their main duder and not much else. So they'll only make a limited amount of money off a good slice of the player base, but those players will get what exactly they want and might splurge on that fancy new one with alternate animations or lines or whatnot. When I played League I really wanted there to be a cool Yorick skin because I really liked Yorick. I'd have bought the hell out of it.

Meanwhile crate games are capitalising on a small, addiction-prone slice of their market and selling them infinite expensive chances to get the one or two things they actually want, while leaving huge portions of their players as active and vocal detractors. In an industry that normally runs entirely on goodwill these fucks are trying to make it run on sadness and disease. It's honestly appalling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Len posted:

Don't buy 'loot crates' either in-game or in real life. It's gambling. They've got you by the brain.

I don't own the game so I don't know how it works, but it seems like a weird system. Can't you just directly buy the skins you want? They'd still make money that way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
no, you cant, because that means they wouldnt be able to maximize their profits by making it a spin on the roulette wheel

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

lovely loot crate/gachs systems don't really give a poo poo if you buy anything, thier goal is typically to go after the rich players and gambling addicts and steall all thier money by getting them addicted.

Loot crates and anything that involves gambling real money for virtual items is scummy and exploiting garbage and in cases where you could sell poo poo like skins in steam marketplace, its straight up gambling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget that it also splits the playerbase into haves and have nots. Its an excellent way to promote resentment among players cause player A bought a single crate and won the cool skin while player B spent tens if not hundreds of dollars and still hasn't won it while player C just can't afford it and it'll take months of constant playing as they're constantly having other players with the skin rubbing it in their face.

Look at any MMO with a glamor system, the way your character looks is a HUGE thing in games with multiplayer. You gotta flaunt what you got and not be a basic scrub with starter clothes.

E: For my own thing dragging a game down, the relics in FF14 and how you can only do 1 at a time. I decided I want to play a different class, but the class I'm currently playing as my main is going through the latest relic stage. If I want to do that stage on the other class my options are to either finish the current relic which takes a long time cause SE just LOVES making drat sure to make their relic stages take as loving long as possible, or completely lose all my progress and abandon it to start up the new one.

Leal has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Oct 14, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phlegmish posted:

Don't buy 'loot crates' either in-game or in real life. It's gambling. They've got you by the brain.

I don't own the game so I don't know how it works, but it seems like a weird system. Can't you just directly buy the skins you want? They'd still make money that way.

The way Overwatch's boxes work is that they give you four bits of loot, one of which is guaranteed to be at least the second tier of rarity. If you get a double of something you have, it instead gives you a form of currency you can spend on items, with price dependant on rarity. So a blue-tier skin costs about 250, a purple-tier taunt is I think 750, and so on. It's a really nice system in theory, since it gives inherent value to a duplicate. A trading system like has been suggested would just leave some people pining for something they want that's stupid expensive because it's popular, while they're just lugging around a half-dozen blue-tier Junkrat skins that will never get traded or see use because nobody wants them.

The real problem is that the doubles don't give nearly enough money, it's I think less than half the cost of the thing. And because there's so many white-tier sprays that you literally can't make use of 90 percent of them it doesn't even turn into a constant income.

That all sucked for me, because ultimately it was all I had interest in for Overwatch. I loved the art and world, such a shame it was all in service to an instalment in a genre I didn't like, that isn't even very good (the game, not the genre).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

Don't forget that it also splits the playerbase into haves and have nots. Its an excellent way to promote resentment among players cause player A bought a single crate and won the cool skin while player B spent tens if not hundreds of dollars and still hasn't won it while player C just can't afford it and it'll take months of constant playing as they're constantly having other players with the skin rubbing it in their face.

I put :20bux: in and got the 8 skins I was looking for (plus at least one 'okay' skin for every other char), (basically) none of them via crate, all of them by dupecash + straight cash drops :shrug:

The unfathomably large number of sprays + avatars is what's dragging the system down, really. Whenever a drop rolls a spray or av, you should get a five-pack of them to at least give a shot of hitting a dupe.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

no, you cant, because that means they wouldnt be able to maximize their profits by making it a spin on the roulette wheel

You can buy all the stuff that's available year round with in game currency (that you can only get from loot boxes), but the seasonal stuff you can only get from the seasonal loot boxes.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Veotax posted:

You can buy all the stuff that's available year round with in game currency (that you can only get from loot boxes), but the seasonal stuff you can only get from the seasonal loot boxes.

There are a couple of Summer Games skins I wanted but didn't get during that season, and they're in the heroes section so you can look at them but they're locked, with no option to buy them with the ingame funbux. So yeah, you can't ever get them now. That's annoying. I have nearly 3000 gold, just let me buy them if I want to, like the normal skins. Hell, make them more expensive to buy, like some of the halloween skins so they're still "special" or whatever.

I feel like sure, take the seasonal stuff out of rotation so you can't win them from a loot box once the season ends, but allow them to be purchased (at a markup). That way it's still "sorry, bad luck you missed out" but if you really want that one skin, you can save up for it, if you want.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I remember a game magazine saying Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories had a refined version of San Andreas' aiming system. Having replayed them back to back I think thats bullshit. I don't remember San Andreas making me repeatedly making me target innocent civilians extremely far away rather than the 5 guys stood right next to me emptying their guns into my head. Also if there's a a guy close enough your character uses melee attacks even if you're not targeting them so you can be uselessly kicking a guy in the groin while several of his friends use you for target practice. The other thing was certain physical obstacles which stop you shooting the guy behind it but do not stop him from returning fire. In the final mission I couldn't shoot a guy in the head because his legs were obscured by a box.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing Mafia 3 and the witness system is kind of annoying. If you commit a crime the game will flag a random pedestrian who then runs to the nearest payphone to call the cops on you. Normally this is fine but if you're doing the interrogation side thing grabbing the guy counts as a crime and you can't do anything to stop the witness because you're locked into an animation.

Also I don't know if this is a bug or not but it seems like the police search area takes way too long to go away after you've escaped.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I bought 8-Bit Heroes, which is a $15 knockoff of Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2. It has a cute voxel art style and is really colorful and it was fun enough for a cheap RTS.

The big problem is that you don't get either an audio alert or a minimap ping if you're being attacked, except for your harvesters. And the Alliance Lightbringers have a lot of AOE units, including a guy that constantly throws exploding barrels that just wrecks you if you aren't microing around it. So imagine my surprise when I sent my army across the map, then ignored them for a minute while I worked on base stuff, then looked back to find the entire loving army dead to like six guys that were just milling around the middle of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Somfin posted:

Fuckin' League did it right. People want to buy a few things for their main duder and not much else. So they'll only make a limited amount of money off a good slice of the player base, but those players will get what exactly they want and might splurge on that fancy new one with alternate animations or lines or whatnot. When I played League I really wanted there to be a cool Yorick skin because I really liked Yorick. I'd have bought the hell out of it.

Meanwhile crate games are capitalising on a small, addiction-prone slice of their market and selling them infinite expensive chances to get the one or two things they actually want, while leaving huge portions of their players as active and vocal detractors. In an industry that normally runs entirely on goodwill these fucks are trying to make it run on sadness and disease. It's honestly appalling.

And on top of that League also has sales twice a week, monthly bundles, and the occasional freebie or other promotion.

Even then they added their own lootbox system somewhat recently. For better or worse it's more complicated than Overwatch's, and still has its own form of clunker loot, plus the drop pool is staggeringly huge considering the sheer number of characters, skins, and other bric-a-brac.