Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Haier posted:

Thanks to the Mongol I think there's no way this will go well.

You'll just have to take the plunge for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MJAP6eKqQ

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The unnamed country can only hang its head in shame!

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Haier posted:

I found this guy in a friend's album last thread:

Don't Worry, No Why.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Does anyone watch Serpenteza's videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFJhe9MKHg

In this one, he dismisses anyone who criticizes China as "having an agenda." He also comes from South Africa but seems to think that politics don't matter and there's nothing that anyone can do to change anything.

I generally like his content, but this video rubbed the wrong way a bit.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

nickmeister posted:

Does anyone watch Serpenteza's videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFJhe9MKHg

In this one, he dismisses anyone who criticizes China as "having an agenda." He also comes from South Africa but seems to think that politics don't matter and there's nothing that anyone can do to change anything.

I generally like his content, but this video rubbed the wrong way a bit.

South Africans are generally scum.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ceciltron posted:

South Africans are generally scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY&t=5s

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Normally industrial espionage like this would be annoying, but if Scotland couldn't make wave power profitable, it's actually kinda cool that China is stealing their design and trying it. The worst that can happen is they also fail and waste $95 million in the process.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Ccs posted:

The worst that can happen is they also fail and waste $95 million in the process.*****
***** $25 million goes towards the project and $70 million is embezzled by the directors, managers, and supervisors of the project and sent to their kids abroad in the US and Canada to buy a house and car as fast as possible.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.reddit.com/r/CCJ2/comments/2nnddv/chinese_people_are_birds_part_2/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always thought of cats. Don't give a gently caress about anyone they don't know, sleep 20 hours a day on literally any available surface.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
U GUYZ. IS THIS REAL?

http://i.imgur.com/fzj9yt0.gifv

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
China's cutting edge comedy group is an innovative hybrid of Jackass and The Jerky Boys. I give you... The Basin Boys.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i hate these staged videos they're so bad. at least some of the american ones have it down to a fine art where you can't really tell they're staged

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's baby's first 3 stooges. They're culturally at level zero so that's where they start from.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Lemme know when they get to the "40 people keep a basketball in the air before dunking it" stage of internet video progression. I'd like to 20 ebikes could make a pretty cool slam dunk video.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
These remind me so much of those Americas Funniest Home Videos in the 90s. Like a guy is just being filmed walking through some woods towards his car and, the camera snaps over to look at the car and then WHOOOOOOPS that tree just fell on it out of nowhere! Look at his surprise! But it's totally real, guys!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
r/engineering after the news of that Scottish company getting ripped off.

EDIT:

quote:

Chinese data theft is why all data storage through USB drives has been disabled at my work.
LOL

Haier fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 11, 2016

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Even Taiwanese companies/factories do this to avoid getting ripped off. I know of at least three companies that had things ranging from display products to information about clients/deals stolen in the middle of a major cycling trade show. There were at least four more attempts to steal things in my vicinity, one of which I stopped myself.

Normally specific details about products are explained for foreign clients, but if Chinese people are just standing nearby, the answer to any question changes to "yes, we make bike parts." Companies in Good China are very clear that Chinese companies won't be making any of their own products; they show up at trade shows to walk off with samples of new products to copy them.

One company in particular that I've worked with before has had their products faked so convincingly, the Chinese factory actually has their logo on their websites and claims to be an official manufacturer, which honestly is pretty impressive.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/mentalkhk/videos/728446817320199/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

:staredog:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that, and instead talk about Chinese tourists.

Remeber the travel blacklist the government launched to combat face loss due to tourists bad behavior? It was created in May 2015, since then hundred of millions of Chinese people have traveled inside and outside of China, how many people are on that list? A whooping 24!

Does the list even matter? Let's ask someone who is on it!

quote:

An article on the WeChat account of Guangming Online asked whether the list was merely a “paper tiger.”

One man added to the blacklist shortly after it was set up told The Zhejiang Elderly News that being on it did not change his life much.

“I got back from Thailand and am off to Korea,” said the man, from Jiangsu Province and identified only by his surname, Wang. “At the worst, you can’t join a tour group. Independent travel is the thing to do.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/11/w...collection&_r=0

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe independent travel will lead to new experiences and learning things about places other tha.. ahahaha who am I kidding there's probably loving black market tour groups.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

So, this is actually a pretty cool documentary about the electronics industry in Shenzhen, with a heavy focus on the maker scene and the ah, unique, Chinese approach to electronics IP. It's by Wired and it can feel like a fluff piece at times, especially the bit about IP theft, but it's actually a super cool look at the crazy electronics market and tech scene in what appears to be a super cool city.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
my new gf is from china and has all the best hosed up stories. some highlights:

-her father sold her identity along with her high school exam results to a rich family. The family's daughter than started living her life under her name. She finished two different undergrad degrees and a masters after this happened, which the fake her has since learned about and appropriated. Gf had to be smuggled out of China when she left, because she could not get a Chinese passport, due to the other her having applied for it first. She's been back to China since, but she can only do so because she's an Aus citizen now. As far as the Chinese authorities are concerned she's an unperson. Her first time seeing her family in 5 years, her dad was proudly talking about the accomplishments of his "other daughter" and suggested that my gf meets her.

-okay nothing is going to approach that one so I'm not going to try again, but she was fired from a university lecturing position for being too short once I guess.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

-her father sold her identity along with her high school exam results to a rich family. The family's daughter than started living her life under her name. She finished two different undergrad degrees and a masters after this happened, which the fake her has since learned about and appropriated. Gf had to be smuggled out of China when she left, because she could not get a Chinese passport, due to the other her having applied for it first. She's been back to China since, but she can only do so because she's an Aus citizen now. As far as the Chinese authorities are concerned she's an unperson. Her first time seeing her family in 5 years, her dad was proudly talking about the accomplishments of his "other daughter" and suggested that my gf meets her.

-okay nothing is going to approach that one so I'm not going to try again, but she was fired from a university lecturing position for being too short once I guess.

This thread is obviously the best of the worst, but I don't see how a society can't implode with this type of behavior.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

THE PWNER posted:

this is fine and okay. australia, europe and the US are at least 9 months behind china. checks out.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

this is a stickup posted:

this is fine and okay. australia, europe and the US are at least 9 months behind china. checks out.

Hey, someone repeated that same line in the documentary I just posted! Is that a thing people are actually saying? I suppose it makes sense if you're talking about consumer electronics manufacturing, but socially, uhh... yeah, no.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
it doesn't make sense at all

unless you're talking about air quality

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Who lost face?
Today I was riding (my skateboard) and decided to get into the little bike lane thing with the road divider that some areas have. It was just me and two other bikes, and one coming toward me. She's about 200m away and coming slowly. I am well past the people behind me because they are old and have kids on the back, and this ahead woman is on a regular bike and not an ebike. The bike road is about 4-5m wide and when she sees me from a distance she starts swerving, not knowing what to do. I go in a straight line, but I see she's now coming at me fast at the last moment and doesn't look like she's going to change. I go to my right, but there's a big excavator parked there and so I continue going forward along side of it. She's coming in hot and now I have about 30cm between me and the excavator, while the several meters of empty road on the other side of her are taunting me.

She's locked eyes with me, not even seeing the excavator. Instead of pulling to her right, she's now obviously trying to aim to fit into the 30cm between me and the excavator. When she's about a meter from hitting me, I put my foot down to stop and then kick up my board into my hands and stand there staring at her. She keeps riding while braking, until stopping and then bumping right to the tire of the excavator. Normally I would have continued on, but it was so stupid and almost if she'd done it all on purpose. I said "Hey! Lady!" She refused to look at me and instead started trying to move her bike into that tiny gap between me and the machine. I still stood there, now in her way. She pretended I didn't exist and kept trying to move as if she were blind. I gave up and left.

I don't know who lost face in that. She gained it by not reacting to someone coming her general direction and asserting dominance. I gained it by not reacting fast enough. I lost it by calling her out. She lost it by trying to shove a bike through a solid object. We all lost it because this idiotic bullshit is acceptable.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
from what I understand the only reason that she was able to get out of china was because she spoke English, so she was able to petition consulates for a humanitarian visa herself until she found one that would listen. and her education obv made it easier to justify allowing her to immigrate despite having no formal proof of id. There's probably people in similar situations who are just stuck now, forever legally not actually existing.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Haier posted:

Who lost face?

Next time this happens, pull out your phone and take a video. post it online and you'll have enough face to last until 2020

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

THE PWNER posted:

from what I understand the only reason that she was able to get out of china was because she spoke English, so she was able to petition consulates for a humanitarian visa herself until she found one that would listen. and her education obv made it easier to justify allowing her to immigrate despite having no formal proof of id. There's probably people in similar situations who are just stuck now, forever legally not actually existing.

This sounds like a loving cyberpunk novel

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Automatic Slim posted:

This thread is obviously the best of the worst, but I don't see how a society can't implode with this type of behavior.

It helps when the government doesn't give a gently caress about the citizens and the citizens don't give a gently caress about anyone outside their immediate circle, and a healthy number of those only give a gently caress about their circle because they are resources to be exploited

Also when you have no long-term thinking so you don't care if it's unsustainable

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

It helps when the government doesn't give a gently caress about the citizens and the citizens don't give a gently caress about anyone outside their immediate circle, and a healthy number of those only give a gently caress about their circle because they are resources to be exploited

Also when you have no long-term thinking so you don't care if it's unsustainable

but the inscrutable Chinese always play the long game I was told

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

but the inscrutable Chinese always play the long game I was told

that's what makes it so inscrutable :eyepop:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The guy next door is puking so loudly I can hear it through the walls. I can't even hear his TV or music when I enter my house. He must have had some really tasty gutter oil at dinner today.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

this is a stickup posted:

Next time this happens, pull out your phone and take a video. post it online and you'll have enough face to last until 2020

Preferably while disparaging her like that one nice aunty that owned the beach people :allears:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It's hard for me to believe that Australia of all places let an undocumented foreigner into their country and gave her citizenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You're fine as long as you come by air. Australia bends over backwards to accomodate people who make it here that way.

It's only if you come here by boat that you get sent to the rape camps.

• Locked thread