Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

zolthorg posted:

you've got the right idea with stopping thinking about them just as colors, and considering their grey values
but don't forget tricks like backlights make objects shiny or wet
or shading areas that are large and would catch light / shadow, all the gb sprites had shadows iirc, i don't remember if it was a standard circle

also dithering will let you blend and get more then 4 colours out of the palette

I think you're 700% right, and I did a quick charmander to practice what you were talking about/as penance/to learn the true meaning of color ramps:

Probably I shouldn't have picked a subject with a big plain back, but still, this is an improvement (though I've still got a ways to go!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
"Clan Sana" faction NPC graphics:

"Imperial Remnant" faction NPC graphics:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Hello here is some bad art

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

InevitableCheese posted:

all dogs are good dogs. so this is a good dog picture.

Noyemi K posted:

"Clan Sana" faction NPC graphics:

"Imperial Remnant" faction NPC graphics:

You have a really solid style going on here! I bet these are a blast to animate, their stances lead to some good limb seperation

Im thinking about tossing my hat into the gameboy jam going on

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

you trace my art and then call it bad, the nerve

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Crap posted:

you trace my art and then call it bad, the nerve

I just meant that mine with the bad lines and coloring is bad. Yours was cute and much better.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Old Man Mozz posted:

all dogs are good dogs. so this is a good dog picture.

You have a really solid style going on here! I bet these are a blast to animate, their stances lead to some good limb seperation

Im thinking about tossing my hat into the gameboy jam going on

Do you mind to talk about how you did your bottle? Pixel Daily was "plastic bottle" today, and I had a butt ton of trouble getting it to look interesting.

Then I come here and you've got a perfect foggy bottle. How'd you do it?

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Bean posted:

Do you mind to talk about how you did your bottle? Pixel Daily was "plastic bottle" today, and I had a butt ton of trouble getting it to look interesting.

Then I come here and you've got a perfect foggy bottle. How'd you do it?

so it might help to see how I would do the bottle without the stuff inside

I try to think of glass bottles in three peices, the back glass, the front class and the thick sides. You're going to see much more of the thickness of the class as it rounds. Obviously this wont be true for a plastic bottle, but it still might help to think in those terms.

what might also help you is just exaggerating your perspective a bit, with pixel art you're already doing a hard work on detail, so anything you can do to really sell any visual idea helps.

here's just a quick example to see what im thinking about :

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Whatever your favorite Dragonball character is, you're wrong because it's actually Android 8.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It's a Chesapeake bay retriever. Something's wrong with it and I don't know what.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

It's a Chesapeake bay retriever. Something's wrong with it and I don't know what.

I think it has a good silhouette. It's quite flat, though, and the outline weight looks a bit random to me. There are some slightly annoying jaggies in the outline, as well.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I think it has a good silhouette. It's quite flat, though, and the outline weight looks a bit random to me. There are some slightly annoying jaggies in the outline, as well.

This better? Also made the ear more retriever like.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Old Man Mozz posted:

so it might help to see how I would do the bottle without the stuff inside

I try to think of glass bottles in three peices, the back glass, the front class and the thick sides. You're going to see much more of the thickness of the class as it rounds. Obviously this wont be true for a plastic bottle, but it still might help to think in those terms.

what might also help you is just exaggerating your perspective a bit, with pixel art you're already doing a hard work on detail, so anything you can do to really sell any visual idea helps.

here's just a quick example to see what im thinking about :

Thanks for showing me, this was great. I did some beakers to practice:

I had a hard time around the rims, but I think I solved it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm still very slowly reworking this game

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I'm still very slowly reworking this game

on the purpose of completely unsolicited artistic criticism. at sprite sizes like these you dont really need to seperate every limb out into uniquely coloured blocks before you go forward into rendering.

i was surprised to see you post a sprite without posting its mockup with the aforementioned uniquely coloured limbs, consequently the motion / silhouette is still solid on this doggo

how does he look in motion? do you have a gif of him crossing x target span of pixels? thatll help sort out how the motion looks in engine / avoid skating/sliding

keep arting (b ' ' )

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Been redoing some tilesets.. still got a ton of filler tiles to add so it looks more natural, but it's getting there!

Here's the old ground for comparison;

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Been redoing some tilesets.. still got a ton of filler tiles to add so it looks more natural, but it's getting there!

that's seriously great - how many filler tiles are you using to make it looks so natural?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Old Man Mozz posted:

that's seriously great - how many filler tiles are you using to make it looks so natural?
Thanks, well uh, there's no fillers in the screen so the ground repeats itself without any variation right now :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

zolthorg posted:

i was surprised to see you post a sprite without posting its mockup with the aforementioned uniquely coloured limbs, consequently the motion / silhouette is still solid on this doggo

WELL!
I actually dont have a version of a lot of my sprites done like that because a lot are based on the jam stuff that I banged out super quick

Here he is running in game

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
I did the GBJAM, here's my game, Global Defense Corps:

You can vote for it here: https://itch.io/jam/gbjam-5/rate/90309

And I did a wee timelapse video of some of the pixel wranglin'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CcoowpeP9c

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Why aren't there more Cabal-like games? Are you going to expand on this? It looks ripe for it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Kind of off the wall question here, but does anyone itt play Dominions 4?

I feel like that game looks really cool and has a huge cult following, but is held back by its horrible graphics. Some nicely done pixel art would probably make the game sell way better...what do you think is holding that two-man team back so much from hiring a pixel artist to just fix the graphics on that game. The game has a ton of sprites and it would be a lot of work, but it would go really really far. Even if they just updated the UI on the map.

For reference:

I think the map is the worst part, and updating the map tileset would make the biggest difference.

The battles look a bit better but still look really bad. Some of the pixel art ends up being okay, but nothing is actually animated either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dominions has literally hundreds of units so making detailed sprites with proper animations for all of them would be quite the undertaking.

I really don't think the graphics hold back Dom 4 anyways. Its how utterly impenetrable it is for a new player due to the overwhelming amount of stuff it throws at you.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
For some game designers (and I suspect most tactical strategy fans), "pretty" graphics just aren't as much of a priority so long as the necessary information is conveyed. Especially for such a small team working on such a niche game, the time and budget needed to redo the spritework would probably be better spent on other aspects of the game or saved for their next project.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
two of my latest cards

I don't think ill get to animate the squid, sadly, as there's really only one card that makes them and the demand is pretty low

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

learning 3D! feat. 90s video game props

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

_jink posted:

These look great! I can't wait to spend my zenny on them. ;)

Out of curiosity, why is the one on the left reversed on the model?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

_jink posted:

I really like the low-poly (i think that's it's name?) that combines pixel art but with a 3d perspective! I'd like to try it some day but im not sure where to start.

What program do you use to make this and how difficult is it?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Ash Crimson posted:

I really like the low-poly (i think that's it's name?) that combines pixel art but with a 3d perspective! I'd like to try it some day but im not sure where to start.

It's really just simple polygons, you could probably use Blender very easily.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Besesoth posted:

These look great! I can't wait to spend my zenny on them. ;)

Out of curiosity, why is the one on the left reversed on the model?

thanks! and the flip was accidental, I didn't even notice till you pointed it out.

Ash Crimson posted:

yup, blender. The hardest part is getting grips on it's labyrinthine ui, but there are loads of great tutorials out there. These were my favorite, because they're clean & he doesn't move glacially slow. I was making some woeful rear end critters the first day, and had never used 3D software before last week.

if you run into trouble I can make a quick guide, it's only about a ~10 step process.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply Jink! I'd prefer a guide, but it's up to you. Thanks for the link, also i don't think your first monster attempt was that bad to be honest.

I'd love to combine low-poly stuff with pixel art, i've seen it down a few times and i really liked the look of it, even if ends up being purely experimental, i think it'd be a cool aesthetic to mess around with.

I love stuff like Kenneth fejer's http://www.kennethfejer.com/3d.html although im not if it's intended to be pixelly because that's what he wanted (a combination of pixel art and low poly) or if that's just what he got from the process.

Edit: Trying out blender now and it's a bit uh, intimidating. Trying to get my texture to correctly wrap around a cube, but i must be doing it wrong because it keeps coming out wrong.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 24, 2016

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

sure! ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* tutorial: simple pixel texture in blender✧・゚: *✧・゚ imgur slaughtered my nice images with compression, but hopefully thats easy enough to follow.

also that guys art is super good, goddamn. Complex uv mapping and pixel art are finicky / time consuming individually, so combining them together is frankly nightmarish. :ghost: (but pretty)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ugh I hate both of these. :negative:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Shoehead posted:

Ugh I hate both of these. :negative:

I think the issue is that the elongated L base doesn't read well on either one, and it merging with the R on the second makes it look more like a B.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

Imaginary Friend posted:

gently caress me that looks amazing

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I love this thread because you guys are super talented and it helps push me to get better at this. Since posting stuff I'm working on helps me convince myself this project is real, here's a post of some stuff I'm working on.

On a related note, I'm noticing that gifs I'm exporting from Photoshop have significantly longer longer frame delays than what I've specified. What program are you folks using to make your super fast, smooth gifs?

rinski fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 30, 2016

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for posting your work!

I use Gimp currently for gif export. Somewhere in your photoshop settings should be a default frame delay. For standard gifs you want that to be 100ms.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Scut posted:

Thanks for posting your work!

I use Gimp currently for gif export. Somewhere in your photoshop settings should be a default frame delay. For standard gifs you want that to be 100ms.

I'll give Gimp a shot. In Photoshop you can set frame delay settings, but even when I set it to "0" or "No Delay" the final .gif ends up taking about a tenth of a second to cycle for those frames.

Unless I'm missing another setting somewhere, which is probable.

Also: here's some fish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Never use no delay or 0, behaviour on that is inconsistent between browsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

gimp also lies to you and explicitly resets 0 delay frames to 10ms