Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Where is that screenshot actually from? I'd like to think that is a first pass to show that it's up and running before stuffing everything back in and tidying up the layout. It looks like a placeholder, especially the way the folder address is written. No way in hell is that final.

What about the current implementation of the modern UX would lead to believe the final explorer would look significantly different? I mean the settings panel, the apps - there's not much room for graphical flourish in a UX defined by its spartan approach. It will look like every other modern aspect of the OS (damned ugly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Acer Pilot posted:

I just remoted into my work computer from my Windows 10 upgraded machine and noticed that the task bar from my local computer is showing up over the remote session.

Anyone run into that before and know how to hide it when my remote session is in full screen mode?

This happens to me sometimes. Not always, no rhyme or reason to it.

No solution though.

jauk3n
Jul 10, 2014

nielsm posted:

This:

But really, "I'm getting a whole new computer and keeping none of the old hardware" sounds like a prime example of when to just buy a new Windows license.

thank you for the visual.

but yea that's what I meant, how would it go installing windows from a usb on brand new hardware. I was very confused by it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Install, when it asks for key choose the skip for now option. Finish installing, log in with ms account and I assume there is some new prompt to apply license from that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You can download a media creation kit. When installing don't enter a key (you can skip it), and post-install sign in with your Microsoft account. You are then activated.

I did this two days ago. Originally had upgraded from 8, attached 10 to my Live account and a fresh install went flawlessly. Activation is fine.

edit: didn't refresh :(

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good blog for Windows news? Thurrott used to be decent but now 75% of his posts are Premium Only so there's no loving point in following him anymore :argh:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

necrotic posted:

You can download a media creation kit. When installing don't enter a key (you can skip it), and post-install sign in with your Microsoft account. You are then activated.

I did this two days ago. Originally had upgraded from 8, attached 10 to my Live account and a fresh install went flawlessly. Activation is fine.

edit: didn't refresh :(

Was this the physical same hardware? If so, its just the normal digital entitlement.. hardware hash activation.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My mother was upgraded to anniversary on Friday and afterward, her system would no longer boot. Just a blackscreen of spinning cursor after a minute or two of drive light action.

I took a look at it. I could get into the advanced/troubleshooting mode but nothing seemed to help or work. Revert to the previous install? Ok, wait a few hours with a useless progress bar for NOPE!

It is a Dell Vostro originally with Windows 7 and it seemed super odd that going to command showed no windows directory on C but it was on D. I knew it had a recovery partition (E, I think) but I didn't quite grok what was going on.

I ran a command to "fix" the boot to D:, rebooted and huzzah, it worked! I ran a round of cumulative upgrades and thought I was home free. Of course I rebooted and it had the same problem as it did originally.

Idly looking around for a specific Vostro number for my next move, I clicked the CD tray and...out came a disk for her card maker. Rolling my eyes, I rebooted and hey, Windows came up. And again and a few more times.

Didn't Microsoft figure out that if there's nothing on a CD-ROM to try a different partition with like 98 or XP?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cheesus posted:

Didn't Microsoft figure out that if there's nothing on a CD-ROM to try a different partition with like 98 or XP?

That's never been a thing Microsoft Windows does, that's a thing your BIOS/EFI does. Next time you're over there, you might want to reconfigure the BIOS or EFI to not boot from CD/DVD before hard drive.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

That's never been a thing Microsoft Windows does, that's a thing your BIOS/EFI does. Next time you're over there, you might want to reconfigure the BIOS or EFI to not boot from CD/DVD before hard drive.

I think he was talking about the Windows installation DVDs booting to the hard disk if it detected a viable NT boot loader; which isn't really pertinent to the troubles he was having.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

IAmKale posted:

Thurrott used to be decent
What

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

redeyes posted:

Was this the physical same hardware? If so, its just the normal digital entitlement.. hardware hash activation.

Oh word. I haven't tried on new hardware.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

You have to pay for Thurott? :lol:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey, someone is porting another Linux distro to run on WSL too.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/alwsl-project-lets-you-install-arch-linux-in-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux-508956.shtml

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

djssniper posted:

Any news on Western Digital USB drives it broke, won't find out till next weekend

Latest windows update fixed this

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

Who else here is blocked on Twitter by him?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Who else here is blocked on Twitter by him?

More efficient to ask who isn't

Tab8715 posted:

Even more Thurrott, only for $64 a year!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess the "almost finished guys, be ready any day now, just got to rewrite large swathes of it" e-books about Windows Phone weren't the lucrative income stream that everybody was hoping they would be.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Well, he must be at least busy reporting on all of Microsoft's Windows 10 gently caress ups these days.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who is this thurrot?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Who is this thurrot?

https://www.thurrott.com/

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/783402181189771264

lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I can only assume they decided on a 12 hour limit for active hours maliciously

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Go outside.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ever since the "Anniversary Update" using Alt+F4 no longer lets me shut down my desktop.

The outline of the dialog box will appear for a moment then disappear, forcing me to use my mouse to shut down the computer like some sort of animal.

I know Win+X, U, U will still do it, but there's something just so satisfying about Alt+F4ing everything.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
A recent windows update re-set my wallpaper and a whole bunch of settings. Very lame. Am I the Only one?

Anyway. I can't find the old photo I was using as my desktop background. Is there a chance it's still on the computer?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anyone on the Insider Preview's running on older hardware (DX9 stuff like the Intel GMA945)? It appears starting with one of the 143XX builds that the entire new Windows 10 UI will no longer render properly. Everything is just blank squares and completely unusable.

The only way it appears to fix this currently is to just use the Microsoft Basic Display Driver which works, but isn't optimal of course since its lacking most any widescreen resolution support as well as terrible performance overall. It just seems like Microsoft broke the interface to use DX10+ only hardware which is going to leave a lot of the DX9 Intel based laptops out in the cold even though they ran windows just fine up until this point.

I am holding out hoping that a future Insider build fixes this stupid issue, or will roll back to a non Insider Build, but if Redstone 2 happens to needlessly require DX10+ graphics hardware to just display the Windows Interface, WTF sort of requirement is that?

*not mine, but exact same issue.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ever since the "Anniversary Update" using Alt+F4 no longer lets me shut down my desktop.

The outline of the dialog box will appear for a moment then disappear, forcing me to use my mouse to shut down the computer like some sort of animal.

I know Win+X, U, U will still do it, but there's something just so satisfying about Alt+F4ing everything.

My computer was severely unstable causing random freezes every..???? after the anniversary update, happy MS birthday to me. Fortunately, all my important stuff is backed up to multiple offsite storage places so I just did a wipe/reinstall. The anniversary update no longer crashes my computer, all it took was a format/reinstall which was a pain in the rear end and an hour and a half out of my weekend 2 weeks ago I wasn't accounting for. Apparently it's a bug feature! http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/15/microsoft-warns-windows-10-anniversary-update-crashes-problems/#28f2e9a77745

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a failing boot drive for a windows 10 computer. I placed the drive in an external enclosure and tried copying stuff off of it to a second computer but I am getting Permissions errors. Any way I can get around that?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
One of my friends mentioned hearing that everything since Vista has basically just been a reskin, and I know that's not accurate but I'm having trouble finding articles that go into the improvements that aren't just UI-related. Anyone happen to have something on hand to refer to?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of my friends mentioned hearing that everything since Vista has basically just been a reskin, and I know that's not accurate but I'm having trouble finding articles that go into the improvements that aren't just UI-related. Anyone happen to have something on hand to refer to?

Probably not comprehensive, but new features in 7, 8/8.1, 10.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

keykey posted:

My computer was severely unstable causing random freezes every..???? after the anniversary update, happy MS birthday to me. Fortunately, all my important stuff is backed up to multiple offsite storage places so I just did a wipe/reinstall. The anniversary update no longer crashes my computer, all it took was a format/reinstall which was a pain in the rear end and an hour and a half out of my weekend 2 weeks ago I wasn't accounting for. Apparently it's a bug feature! http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/15/microsoft-warns-windows-10-anniversary-update-crashes-problems/#28f2e9a77745

Thankfully, mine isn't freezing, but I do have an SSD, which the article says aren't playing nice with the new update. So, I'll just have to wait for Microsoft and see what happens :(

In the meantime, I've used my keyboard's macro function to map a shutdown shortcut to one of its extra buttons. It works, but it just doesn't have the satisfying feel of Alt+F4ing everything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We have a PC at work on Win 10 that runs a 9-TV video wall and nothing else. Updates keep breaking the Nvidia Mosaic video wall software, and the Ethernet drivers.

Would editing the hosts file so Microsoft.com resolves to loopback be a way to disable updates on it? Or are they smarter than that?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

We have a PC at work on Win 10 that runs a 9-TV video wall and nothing else. Updates keep breaking the Nvidia Mosaic video wall software, and the Ethernet drivers.

Would editing the hosts file so Microsoft.com resolves to loopback be a way to disable updates on it? Or are they smarter than that?

Disable the Windows Update service.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it need to hit the Internet at all? Firewall it off, manage updates through WSUS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it need to hit the Internet at all? Firewall it off, manage updates through WSUS.

Pfft, set a GPO to set the update server to some garbage and it'll never get updates. Then you can change it later if needed.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hey folks. I realise that there isn't actually an option for this anywhere but if someone could tell me what kind of technical trickery I need to do in order to turn off loving goddamned Windows Update I would really loving appreciate it.

I'm really loving pissed off. Oh no. You can't just have it so that it performs the update process next time you restart. That would actually be loving convenient for the user and give you some time of control over your own loving computer. NO! We're going to FORCE you to restart whenever we loving feel like it no matter how you like to use your PC and we're going to play REALLY GODDAMN LOUD ALERT NOISES THAT WAKE YOU UP EVERY GODDAMN TIME WE DO IT.

gently caress this poo poo.

How and where do I screw around in Windows guts in order to bypass it? I'm not someone who knows a lot of technical jargon and so forth and I'd really appreciate it if you could give me instructions in layman's terms if possible.

Thanks.

EDIT: I still want to keep Windows 10 as an OS. I actually really like it aside from this update bollocks. It's given a me a big performance boost on my multi monitor setup compared to 7. I'm someone who likes to have a lot of stuff running at a time for easy reference with sessions running for weeks or months at a time. I can't do that with all these forced restarts and as an autistic person the disruption they're causing to my working habits is starting to cause serious distress.

Sorry if this is something that seems silly but it really is becoming a major problem.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 12, 2016

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Huh, I just realized that my computer told me it was going to schedule a restart for after 11 PM, but it's now almost 4 AM and nothing happened. Is it supposed to just force me out at some point?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In my experience it will just delay it until you're not using the computer. Or it'll just say "wow, we couldn't restart for reasons do you want to reschedule?"

It should also not be playing klaxons when it does reboot.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Captain Fargle posted:

Hey folks. I realise that there isn't actually an option for this anywhere but if someone could tell me what kind of technical trickery I need to do in order to turn off loving goddamned Windows Update I would really loving appreciate it.

I'm really loving pissed off. Oh no. You can't just have it so that it performs the update process next time you restart. That would actually be loving convenient for the user and give you some time of control over your own loving computer. NO! We're going to FORCE you to restart whenever we loving feel like it no matter how you like to use your PC and we're going to play REALLY GODDAMN LOUD ALERT NOISES THAT WAKE YOU UP EVERY GODDAMN TIME WE DO IT.

gently caress this poo poo.

How and where do I screw around in Windows guts in order to bypass it? I'm not someone who knows a lot of technical jargon and so forth and I'd really appreciate it if you could give me instructions in layman's terms if possible.

Thanks.

EDIT: I still want to keep Windows 10 as an OS. I actually really like it aside from this update bollocks. It's given a me a big performance boost on my multi monitor setup compared to 7. I'm someone who likes to have a lot of stuff running at a time for easy reference with sessions running for weeks or months at a time. I can't do that with all these forced restarts and as an autistic person the disruption they're causing to my working habits is starting to cause serious distress.

Sorry if this is something that seems silly but it really is becoming a major problem.

I'm with you 100%. I really, really like 99.9% of what they're doing with Windows 10, but the updates is a bit heavy handed.

With Pro; the Anniversary Update still obeys local policy to "prompt for download, prompt for install" so at least it's at your control; but it'll notify you excessively.

If you have Pro; it's pretty easy. First google result: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

In my experience it will just delay it until you're not using the computer. Or it'll just say "wow, we couldn't restart for reasons do you want to reschedule?"

It should also not be playing klaxons when it does reboot.

Sorry. Maybe I wasn't being clear enough. It plays the noise once it downloads the updates and notifies you of the impending restart. The noise is way the gently caress louder than everything else on the comp.

Windows then tries to schedule a restart for "non active hours" which since I sleep irregularly don't loving happen on a set basis and, if you're around to catch it will allow you to DELAY the reboot for up to 168 hours. Not stop. Delay.

It's going to reboot without your permission no matter what. Doesn't matter what you're running, what you might be trying to do with it, Microsoft says "gently caress you! We're doing this now!". This is what I'm pissed off about. I want a workaround to stop it. So that it won't ever reboot without manual prompting from me.

I want to be able to leave my computer overnight and be able to come back to it and know it's still going to be doing the same thing it was when I left it. It's ESPECIALLY important since I've started using Remote Desktop to be able to access my PC while I'm away from home.

I should mention I know you can set a wireless network as a "metered connection" and it stops updates but that doesn't help me since I'm using a wired connection.