Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"Why do Westerner only eat sandwich? These do not taste good. Chinese have rice and vegetables. Westerners only eat bread and sandwich. I tried to eat it before and it was bad. They don't know how to cook."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.reddit.com/r/Philippines/comments/56wegt/our_new_flag/

Oh poo poo. They getting woke.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://zippy.gfycat.com/PeacefulRealCockerspaniel.webm

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Somehow Haier, someone will misconstrue your use of "woke" and get you a 6 hour probation.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i should probably never visit china because if there's one thing i will do instinctually and indiscriminately it is call people out on their face-saving bullshit. but in America that is Good, Maybe?

also skateboarding is rough because somehow people do not understand that board riders are fully capable of stopping and turning so they make wild assumptions about your path and without fail get in the way. ur far more agile on a board than a bike at low speeds cmon people

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Haier posted:

"Why do Westerner only eat sandwich? These do not taste good. Chinese have rice and vegetables. Westerners only eat bread and sandwich. I tried to eat it before and it was bad. They don't know how to cook."

I was told that westerners can't cook and that southern barbecue isn't real cooking.

Then they served spaghetti that had been boiled for 25 minutes and wondered why Italians like this stuff.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i hope that this is the vietnamese century where they invade asia and introduce good and tasty fusion food to the rest of the ork camps

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did they get a second identity for a daughter so that they could take her off the family register and try again for a son? I spent five minutes typing out the most ridiculous possible motives this, and this is the one that sharply came into focus as a possible actual real reason for this baffling thing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
did you google how to get money cause I dunno if you missed the core concept

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Krinkle posted:

Did they get a second identity for a daughter so that they could take her off the family register and try again for a son? I spent five minutes typing out the most ridiculous possible motives this, and this is the one that sharply came into focus as a possible actual real reason for this baffling thing.

So the fake daughter got two degrees and has a sweet job? The correct thing is to get all the identity papers and have them reissue the degree certificates and change the bank acount the money goes to. I mean, in this case gently caress everyone except the girl who lost her identity.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jeoh posted:

i hope that this is the vietnamese century where they invade asia and introduce good and tasty fusion food to the rest of the ork camps

Naw see that would be appropriation and that's racist.

Actually isn't Vietnamese food inherently problematic because it appropriated French cooking techniques and dishes and made their own?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Actually isn't Vietnamese food inherently problematic because it appropriated French cooking techniques and dishes and made their own?

Much how China appropriated Tibet...an cuisine?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Outrail posted:

Much how China appropriated Tibet...an cuisine?

The only Tibetan food I've tried seemed halfway between Chinese and Indian, which makes sense I guess.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Appropriately delicious.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Posted in a /lit/ discussion of Zizek:

quote:

That's the problem with leftists. They're theorists.

Leftists want more niggers and spics? They haven't even integrated the ones that are here.

83% single motherhood rating Milwaukee.
79% single motherhood rating in Detroit.
72% nationally.

What the flying gently caress you retard leftists, that's not integration.

>50% highschool drop out for nogs and spics.

Get these loving failure savages out of our communities you complete and utter retards.

Incentivize births from your white and Asian populations, and make a loving utopia.

This is why China is really heavy into censorship and is super, super racist. They're not going to be subverted by retard leftists.

I loving love how the west keeps trying to school China on "human rights" and what not.

Every Chinese diplomat when dealing with any other nation is thinking in the back of their heads, "we've had civilization for 5,000 years. We'll be here 5,000 years from now."

When you fill America and Europe with people who can do little more than pick fruit, you're going to have a really loving bad time when poo poo hits the fan.

China is going to sweep every other nation so loving badly in 100 years because of just how badly the marxist ideology will fail.

You honestly think white men and Asians are going to pay for shitskins for more centuries and stand for diversity quotas?

lol you leftists are delusional.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

That sure is chock full of bizarre racism.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nanomashoes posted:

*sniffs and tugs shirt excitedly*

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Appropriately delicious.

I went and took a look at the way Vietnamese cruelly appropriated some trad French desserts (bahn flan what the hell that is awesome I never knew) and as a white person my feelings are hurt but in a very good way.

In a just world it would be the Vietnamese lording over the SCS, holding all the other nations of the region at bay not with threats of force but with amazing cookery.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

nigga crab pollock posted:

i should probably never visit china because if there's one thing i will do instinctually and indiscriminately it is call people out on their face-saving bullshit. but in America that is Good, Maybe?

If they can't understand their stupidity from someone who can speak limited Mandarin, then they are just going to assume that you are a crazy person and will never put two and two together. I've literally gotten to the point where the next step was to "draw a picture" to explain a problem to a Chinese person, and they still didn't get it. Cognitive dissonance/pig-headedness/outright stupidity is so firmly entrenched in the culture that most of the people would not understand it even if their parents put on a puppet show to explain it to them.

The worst instance was also with the person who should have had the best chance to understand the situation...

For some inexplicable reason, there was a mainlander guy going through teacher's college at my university, and he was in my class. Near the end of the semester I got stuck in a group with him and he did absolutely nothing except post the Wikipedia page on our topic and try and boss around a Canadian born ethnic Chinese girl who was also in the group (she was having none of that). When it was all done (and we had to fix his "contribution" to the group's paper) we had to do a presentation. Given that he didn't know how to really speak or write in English, naturally he wanted to present the project to the professor and the class because he was afraid that he was not going to get a fair share of the credit/grades.

We explained the following to him:

"You don't have a clue what the project is about"
"You are obviously nervous when public speaking"
"You can't really speak English"
"You can't possibly field questions posed by the professor/students"
"Also you did absolutely no work and we all had to cover for you, and we won't have time to do that if you try the same poo poo with the presentation"

Dude was super-pissed, but he couldn't really do anything about it, and got even more pissed when the Chinese-Canadian girl ended up presenting because she had a really nice speaking voice* and was really animated and comfortable in front of people. After hearing all of this, and knowing full well that he would not only be sinking the group, but himself as well, he would still rather go down in flames than admit his idea was bad and he was wrong.

*anyone else notice that Canada/US born Asian women overwhelmingly have "News Anchor/Radio" quality speaking voices?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No, but I don't fetishize Asian women.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nope, never noticed that. If they were born here they sound exactly like everyone else. There might be some class issues at play which might subtly affect how some poeple sound, but even that's stretching it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Calling Vietnamese food fusion food is really misleading IMO. It's just Vietnamese food and sometimes they make a sandwich. The influence of the frogs on Viet cooking is almost always grossly overstated.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blistex posted:

We explained the following to him:

"You don't have a clue what the project is about"
"You are obviously nervous when public speaking"
"You can't really speak English"
"You can't possibly field questions posed by the professor/students"
"Also you did absolutely no work and we all had to cover for you, and we won't have time to do that if you try the same poo poo with the presentation"

Dude was super-pissed, but he couldn't really do anything about it, and got even more pissed when the Chinese-Canadian girl ended up presenting because she had a really nice speaking voice* and was really animated and comfortable in front of people. After hearing all of this, and knowing full well that he would not only be sinking the group, but himself as well, he would still rather go down in flames than admit his idea was bad and he was wrong.

Something something Donald Trump.

Are there any all western owned/run businesses in China that only employ westerners/western born Chinese people? Do they kick rear end or just get crab potted into oblivion?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

*anyone else notice that Canada/US born Asian women overwhelmingly have "News Anchor/Radio" quality speaking voices?

Asian girls from California often have a particular accent that I find really grating. It's different from but related to the standard California girl accent, which is also grating.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

I appreciate it when these bogan retards head their screeds with "the left" or "liberals." You can just skip everything they wrote after it because there isn't going to be an original thought in it and the thoughts that are there will all be patently retarded strong daddy fanfic.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Nope, never noticed that. If they were born here they sound exactly like everyone else. There might be some class issues at play which might subtly affect how some poeple sound, but even that's stretching it.

I think the class issue might be it. Living in Northern Ontario means I don't have many Asian women in my circle of friends and coworkers, so I came to that conclusion from my time in university. Are elocution lessons a real thing that China born parents might get for their kids?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The first state owned Chinese company upon which state bonds were based, to go bankrupt and not recover, was liquidated about a week ago. Other Chinese companies have failed in similar fashion but none that were tied so directly into the state banking system.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-20/metals-producer-chinas-first-state-owned-company-liquidate-bankruptcy

There were a lot of questions about whether or not the company would be allowed into bankruptcy and a lot of questions now have to be resolved about what it means when a publicly/privately owned business concern dies in China.

Of course any regular reader of this thread already knows that what will happen is all the middle to small guys being burned alive for the sake of a few majority holders, but the business world is going to have to wait a few years to find this out, and the associated governments are going to have to wait a few more years after that to get used to denying it.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 11, 2016

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
American born Asians in Cali in general tend to have a Californian accent. I wouldn't say it's demonstrably different from other Californians though. East Coasters with an accent from one of the New England states on the other hand :argh:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's hard for me to believe that Australia of all places let an undocumented foreigner into their country and gave her citizenship.

the secret is not being muslim

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

American born Asians in Cali in general tend to have a Californian accent. I wouldn't say it's demonstrably different from other Californians though. East Coasters with an accent from one of the New England states on the other hand :argh:

Probably my fav plot twist was when I went grocery shopping in NJ for the first time and heard a asian couple yelling at their kids in a ultra-thick north jersey accent.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

P-Mack posted:

The only Tibetan food I've tried seemed halfway between Chinese and Indian, which makes sense I guess.

Real Tibetan food generally draws more from China than from India, and is generally pretty simple and hearty. Momos and thukpa are just variants on dumplings and noodle soup, baglep is frybread with or without meat, there's lots of yak jerky and types of bread, etc. The big thing is tsampa, the ground barley that generally serves as a staple in 99% of Tibet. It's very tasty if you get it with butter and a little bit of sugar, but many Tibetans eat it with just some water, which I think foreigners generally don't enjoy.

The Indian influence mostly comes in exile, where most of the exile Tibetans went through India and Nepal to get elsewhere, and picked up a lot of flavors and techniques there. I've been to one or two restaurants in southern Tibet that had curries, but I think those were mostly aimed at foreigners and are generally not representative of authentic Tibetan cuisine.

Here's a good site with a lot of Tibetan recipes:

https://simplytibetan.com

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We've got a nice tibetan place in town that also does various buddhist related fundraising and tibetan refugee settling stuff, they're nice.
We also have a "meditation centre" that seems to spend most of it's time protesting that the dalai lama is a HACK and a FRAUD and their anti-pope or what ever is the true one and also the dalai lama is a war criminal or something. Are these guys funded by china or something?

Oh, here we go, they apparently just recently disbanded???
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-dalai-lama-idUSKCN0WD203
"Tseta, who now lives in the United States, said China paid him and other Shugden monks to plan and coordinate these activities. He didn’t provide documentary evidence of Chinese financing of the protests." shocking

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 12, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

etalian posted:

Probably my fav plot twist was when I went grocery shopping in NJ for the first time and heard a asian couple yelling at their kids in a ultra-thick north jersey accent.

One of my ex's was ethnically Chinese from Hong Kong, raised in Germany, then went to college in New York. I met her when I first left the States and it was quite a shock seeing a Chinese girl speak English with a heavy German accent.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I've heard the Chinese really like noodles, explaining why you get laid so much with arms like that

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

etalian posted:

Mine is an Asian girl with an Irish accent that I met in Spain

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Baronjutter posted:

We also have a "meditation centre" that seems to spend most of it's time protesting that the dalai lama is a HACK and a FRAUD and their anti-pope or what ever is the true one and also the dalai lama is a war criminal or something. Are these guys funded by china or something?

Oh, here we go, they apparently just recently disbanded???

The Shugden thing is really insane, at this point it's so divorced from the Tibetan Buddhist mainstream that it's basically become a cult vaguely associated with Tibetan Buddhism. They used to follow the Dalai Lama around calling him the worst dictator of the 20th century and saying he was a secret Muslim who wants to destroy Buddhism; it was always a freaky scene because on the one hand you'd have a few hundred Tibetans who showed up to support the Dalai Lama and rally for Tibet and on the other hand you would have these weird fuckin' white people who have taken Tibetan names and claim to be the REAL Tibetan Buddhists. I spoke with one last year who told me that the Dalai Lama did more to repress Buddhism than China, and that all Tibetans despise him, and when I asked why all the Tibetans were across the street holding pictures of him while on her side it was only these broke-dicked white dipshits she said that maybe the Tibetans were too afraid of the Dalai Lama to join the Shugden side? It was one of the most bizarre things I've ever been told face to face.

Yeah, China loves them some Shugden, they see it as a wedge issue to divide Tibetans. For a while it was really useful because instead of having the ugly optics of Chinese people calling the Dalai Lama the new Hitler, thanks to Shugden you had white people doing it. Kinda erases the ethnic conflict angle, and sells well at home. But they've been waaaaay too obvious about funding it and supporting it, and that Reuters piece you linked was pretty much the end of it as a mass anti-Dalai Lama movement. It's amazing how quickly it spun down once China realized the game was up. Shugden followers showing up at Dalai Lama events and mass tweet storms with duplicate accounts came to a total stop within a week or two of that article finally coming out.

A few years back I was in a Tibetan town with two big monasteries. One had gleaming new buildings and obviously deep pockets but it was practically empty; I walked around for 20 minutes without seeing a single monk or pilgrim. The other is big and ramshackle but full to the brim with monks and locals and pilgrims. I asked a few people on the street about it and they said that the abbot of the fancy monastery was publicly backing the Party and had taken to propitiating Shugden, while the other had roundly rejected the Party and Shugden. Government money was flowing to the one, while Tibetan people were flowing to the other. The people I spoke with didn't even want to pronounce Shugden's name.

So, uh, generally not as useful of a wedge as Beijing would have liked, I guess.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Those be lady arms, don't think they belong to Haier

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Evil Agita posted:

Those be lady arms, don't think they belong to Haier

they are swarthy enough to be jewesque like jason swarchtzman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
china lost 0-2 to uzbekistan. but i guess they arent totally out of the running for the world cup yet. this qualification system is confusing

• Locked thread