Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Sagebrush posted:

everything on commercial planes is built to withstand loads several times larger than anything expected in normal service

like you know when you look out the window and see the wingtips flexing/vibrating a little and you freak out cause you're a big baby?

not even close to the structural limit:

http://i.imgur.com/irnRfOn.mp4

i don't know the specific specs for the landing gear, but i can tell you that the tires and brakes are required to be able to catch fire and burn for 10 minutes without bursting or losing effectiveness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0 If the wings of your plane ever experience this level of shearing of force while airborne you are probably not on planet earth anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

Sniep posted:

that gives me some faith in what those tires can handle cuz christ i've been in some crusty landings so far and have not even barely loving started yet and my new job is 30% travel and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

you know what helps me with my anxiety when i'm on an airplane? getting super fuckin drunk. you should try that.

Graff
May 10, 2012

Serfer posted:

Smells so good it'll make you say "OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW"

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

TED BUNNDY posted:

you know what helps me with my anxiety when i'm on an airplane? getting super fuckin drunk. you should try that.

apparently not though, that seems to be the reason why I've been having so many problems the past couple few years. It's me, not them

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sniep posted:

that gives me some faith in what those tires can handle cuz christ i've been in some crusty landings so far and have not even barely loving started yet and my new job is 30% travel and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://wwww.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/crash-how-computers-are-setting-us-up-disaster

:eyepop:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

seeing as you have zero control over the situation, being anxious doesn't benefit you in the slightest. just sit back and enjoy it ffs

“Clayton Williams made the remark on Saturday while preparing for a cattle roundup at his West Texas ranch. He compared the cold, foggy weather spoiling the event to a rape, telling ranch hands, campaign workers and reporters around a campfire, ''If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.''”

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lake of Methane posted:

“Clayton Williams made the remark on Saturday while preparing for a cattle roundup at his West Texas ranch. He compared the cold, foggy weather spoiling the event to a rape, telling ranch hands, campaign workers and reporters around a campfire, ''If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.''”

rofl

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

i don't fuckin understand people who get scared of airplanes doing bouncy poo poo

there are two possible outcomes
1) the pilots know what they're doing, everything is fine, there is no damage or danger, just a unique experience you rarely get to have
2) something goes drastically wrong and the plane crashes, you are killed instantly and never know it

seeing as you have zero control over the situation, being anxious doesn't benefit you in the slightest. just sit back and enjoy it ffs

to be fair if you crash while landing you're probably burning to death in an inferno while everyone around you screams and panics

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then a firetruck runs over you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0 If the wings of your plane ever experience this level of shearing of force while airborne you are probably not on planet earth anymore.
one fifty four *khtushh* asmr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

raped on foggy land

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

i don't fuckin understand people who get scared of airplanes doing bouncy poo poo

there are two possible outcomes
1) the pilots know what they're doing, everything is fine, there is no damage or danger, just a unique experience you rarely get to have
2) something goes drastically wrong and the plane crashes, you are killed instantly and never know it

i was all the way in the back of a plane that was landing in high crosswinds and that was an experience

poo poo in the back is moving a lot more than further up

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sniep posted:

Try to get your job to pay for TSA precheck and thumb your nose at the lined up proletariat in the security lines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcrlBPFgonw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

was it ever in stock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9eUWuAToNQ

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

aaag microbursts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

omg

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/10/reports-of-violent-vomiting-diarrhea-from-bars-has-soylent-on-the-defense/

quote:

According to a discussion on Soylent’s website and several Reddit threads, customers say that some of the bars caused them gastrointestinal distress, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. On the Soylent thread, user Raylingh has tallied 33 reports since September 7, just two months after the company started making the bars. Generally, customers say that stomach problems arise a few hours after eating a bad bar and pass within a day or two with no other symptoms. These shared illnesses easily meet the description of food poisoning, and many users have ruled out the possibility of food allergies, noting that they had eaten the bars and other Soylent products in the past with no problems.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

unironically considering this now

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

where were going we wont need food :unsmigghh:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

my wife flies every week. just remember that the most dangerous part of your trip is the cab to and from the airport.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Lake of Methane posted:

remember that this guy lost to a woman democrat governor of texas.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

C.H.O.M.E posted:

ann richards was p awesome

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
https://twitter.com/shanevader/status/785715281754664960

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

~*khaleesi*~

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheBrasilianKid/status/785715016532058112

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sniep posted:

you should be more concerned w/ all the radiation you're gonna absorb hanging around in the sky all the time tbqh

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you should be more concerned w/ all the radiation you're gonna absorb hanging around in the sky all the time tbqh

Isn't it about half a chest X-ray per coast to coast flight? Plus about 1/10th of that per TSA body scan.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Isn't it about half a chest X-ray per coast to coast flight? Plus about 1/10th of that per TSA body scan.

*more* concerned

as in, not at all

and those millimeter wave scanners don't use harmful radiation like that

you're thinkin of the outdated backscatter xrays

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

backscatter rays
new term for a shart

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*more* concerned

as in, not at all

and those millimeter wave scanners don't use harmful radiation like that

you're thinkin of the outdated backscatter xrays

also anyone who flies regularly will do the 150 bucks for tsa pre check and just go through a metal detector and not take off shoes etc

tsa pre is great

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

:rip: thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

C.H.O.M.E posted:

also anyone who flies regularly will do the 150 bucks for tsa pre check and just go through a metal detector and not take off shoes etc

tsa pre is great

i keep meaning to sign up since even tho i only fly a few times a year it lasts half a decade and not taking your laptop out for The Man is rad

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

KoRMaK posted:

new term for a shart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjimTGqK0gU