Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Slime posted:

Is there a mod or something that lets you designate a mass replacement of something via construction bots? I want to replace all the old yellow belts I have lying around with red ones and doing it completely manually is a pain in the rear end.

Upgrade Planner yo: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/upgrade-planner

My own mod question - any way to change the priority of the various electricity generators while in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

You can set things up with power switches and circuit conditions. I have my steam engines only set to cut in if my accumulator storage drops below 20% and cut off when they hit 50% again.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can anyone explain Angel's infinite ore (or link somewhere where it is explained)? I see the richness goes down to .1 like it does with oil. I also see a miner that has a total of .1/s minerals in its cachement area goes through the mining action but doesn't output anything (or outputs so infrequently that I don't see it). How exactly does this work and how should I be mining these resources? I don't have any of the other Angel's mods, so these are just vanilla resources (with RSO generation).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Wandering Orange posted:

Upgrade Planner yo: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/upgrade-planner

My own mod question - any way to change the priority of the various electricity generators while in game?

Yes, there's a mod for it. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Valerate/GeneratorPriority

FISHMANPET posted:

Can anyone explain Angel's infinite ore (or link somewhere where it is explained)? I see the richness goes down to .1 like it does with oil. I also see a miner that has a total of .1/s minerals in its cachement area goes through the mining action but doesn't output anything (or outputs so infrequently that I don't see it). How exactly does this work and how should I be mining these resources? I don't have any of the other Angel's mods, so these are just vanilla resources (with RSO generation).

It's exactly like oil yes but unless you have something like bobs high end mining drills and/or modules, mining the clapped out tail ends of a patch is not really worth the bother of sending a train to pick it up. Like oil, you'll find better infinite bits further out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FISHMANPET posted:

Pretty sure that every cycle it has a 10% chance of outputting something. Not really worth mining if you have other options (and you really should have other options unless you want your factory to slow to a crawl).

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

GotLag posted:

Did you remember to put a satellite in it?
Haha, yes, thankfully. I had it built long before I had the rocket but it's true I could've forgotten right before the launch.

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Only one rocket?

You should launch at least one a minute. Maybe more.
Well, it's a start. I'm probably gonna try that but the bugs aren't gonna like it much since there's little oil around, I'm definitely going to have to piss them off all the way to behemoths to grab new fields.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

New friday facts https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-159

Science packs rebalancing

And liquid wagon!

Looks sexy

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
And none of it's dependent on killing biters, so biterless games are no longer blocked off from research at the top end.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
holy poo poo three processing units for a single science pack?! :stare:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I wonder if this will be the first time for many people that they mass-produce grenades.

Overall, cool overhaul, though I do wonder what shenanigans I'll have to do to get a compact science factory again.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I like how it shows the raw materials requirments in terms of actual raw materials instead of the most raw material being whatever you couldn't hand craft.

E: And between infinite research and the production pack requiring stone, there can finally be an infinite drain on stone!

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lessons learned the hard way: after getting bot automation online, don't immediately set up roboports everywhere and replace all your stone flooring with concrete unless you have the power to back it up.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
It needs to be said that the Factorio devs are pretty awesome.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

James The 1st posted:

It needs to be said that the Factorio devs are pretty awesome.

I'll second that any day of the week. That's some good poo poo right there and deal with a lot of the science type problems with the game.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bbcisdabomb posted:

holy poo poo three processing units for a single science pack?! :stare:

Oh nice, I can use Reactors' plutonium as a handy shortcut for high tech.

Makes more sense than turning it into alien artifacts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Man, that new science stuff adds some complexity. I'm looking forward to trying to plan these suckers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I just realized we can edit blueprints in the preview window!!!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Oh loving hell really.

Now I gotta figure out how to do a 6 item belting to labs. Great.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Oh loving hell really.

They demonstrated exactly this!

Presumably alien artifacts will still see use in the high-end armour modules and stuff, so this all looks like good changes. I also like the requirement for assembly 2s and electric furnaces to say to newer players "you should be automating these by now".

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Oh loving hell really.

There was a post on the official forums about "rainbow belts" which is using circuit conditions on belts to ensure a good mix of any set of items on a single looping belt.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28414

I've been trying it out in my latest Bob's/Angel's campaign and I like it. I've also wanted to try using it on one of those big Arumba streams just to see how hard he gets triggered, but that takes too much effort to join in and stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tenebrais posted:

They demonstrated exactly this!

Presumably alien artifacts will still see use in the high-end armour modules and stuff, so this all looks like good changes. I also like the requirement for assembly 2s and electric furnaces to say to newer players "you should be automating these by now".

My only complaint with adding them is the frankly massive iron drain they represent. Iron is already in short supply and I'd like to see copper used a bit more in the blue+ packs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dirk the Average posted:

My only complaint with adding them is the frankly massive iron drain they represent. Iron is already in short supply and I'd like to see copper used a bit more in the blue+ packs.
You could look at the other side of the coin in that it could be encouraging a copper ramp in the form of solar conversion, a loginet, modules and power armor gear, or rocket progress if you insist on canonballing past any of that. The copper squeeze on blue science has always been a double hit if you are trying to take advantage of the luxuries you actually get from blue science.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
The answer is always more trains

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I actually wish they would expand on using alien artifacts in science, but only on the combat related research. That way peaceful progression is uninhibited but there's still a reason to go biter hunting.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Psawhn posted:

There was a post on the official forums about "rainbow belts" which is using circuit conditions on belts to ensure a good mix of any set of items on a single looping belt.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28414

I've been trying it out in my latest Bob's/Angel's campaign and I like it. I've also wanted to try using it on one of those big Arumba streams just to see how hard he gets triggered, but that takes too much effort to join in and stuff.

Absolute mind blowing insanity. I continue to be amazed by what people cook up using the circuit network...

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I've got the game on Steam, but I've just noticed that the default version right now is still on 13.20, but that I can upgrade to the latest 14.x builds via the betas tab. Do these break save compatibility? What have they even changed in version 14? I've browsed through some of the changelogs and it looks like it's mostly bugfixes and under-the-hood stuff

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's no save incompatibility, unless you're using a mod that's not compatible with 0.14.x. And even then, you can still play the save, you'll just lose whatever the mod added. 0.14 is mostly about upgrading the multiplayer system, so it's not a huge change unless you're hosting a multiplayer server. There's been a few other small changes but nothing really important off the top of my head.

Changelogs are here: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=3b626f8380140065b04a7399f76fa4b1

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Reactors to 1.4.0, (finally) wrote some sort of guide:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=33359

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Absolute mind blowing insanity. I continue to be amazed by what people cook up using the circuit network...

What I find the most amazing is how simple it is. It doesn't need any power or combinators, just wires. It's also self-balancing, so it doesn't matter if ingredients are used in a 1:1 ratio or not. It just *works*.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Psawhn posted:

What I find the most amazing is how simple it is. It doesn't need any power or combinators, just wires. It's also self-balancing, so it doesn't matter if ingredients are used in a 1:1 ratio or not. It just *works*.
Speaking of ratios, I think you can make it bias one product over another without extra programming by just having that input be on a faster belt.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

super fart shooter posted:

I've got the game on Steam, but I've just noticed that the default version right now is still on 13.20, but that I can upgrade to the latest 14.x builds via the betas tab. Do these break save compatibility? What have they even changed in version 14? I've browsed through some of the changelogs and it looks like it's mostly bugfixes and under-the-hood stuff

Just yesterday I loaded an early/mid 0.12 game into 0.14.13 (my toxic forest game, the last mod finally updated this week). It flashed up and enormous and very worrying list of changes, deletions, translations but it did it successfully. 3 missing pieces of belt from a mod that is no longer needed due to changes in 0.13 but that's all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

Updated Reactors to 1.4.0, (finally) wrote some sort of guide:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=33359
I assume that if I add this to a world in progress, it won't spawn any uranium ore even in unexplored areas?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
As I understand it, it will appear in chunks you explore after adding the mod.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

GotLag posted:

This is how map generation generally works, so I would assume so.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

If you don't mind invalidating achievements for that save, you can use regen and rechart console commands to force it to repopulate your map. If you haven't explored much though this is a bad idea.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Be your own (wo)man, unlock achievements with SAM when you feel you've earned them.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Playing with Bobsmods and Angel Ores, what the hell do you guys do with all your slag?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kris xK posted:

Playing with Bobsmods and Angel Ores, what the hell do you guys do with all your slag?

Use acid to reprocess it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kris xK posted:

^^^ that or you can turn it into crushed stone which goes to stone and that to landfill/concrete.

Personally I do the former and get extra iron/copper from it but it's a fairly convoluted process with filters etc. If you don't have void chests you might want to grab it (needs a json edit to work in 0.14 but nothing else). It's a godsend for angels/bobs with all the unbalanced chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Okay thanks I had no loving idea what to do with it, I ended up just storing it while playing this weekend but I've now got two full factorissimo factories full of warehouses chocking on it.

Do recall what sort of machine you can use to get it to crushed stone? That seems the easiest and god knows I need a shitton of concrete.