Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

It doesn't look like there are any "trees", so to speak. Meaning, you talk past one another without any real regard for what's been said already.

Also "You've lit a fuse and are asking for trouble" stick with your metaphors and follow through, Christ. And can you imagine Taker cutting that sort of promo?

I'm honestly more bothered by the weird animation during the promo. Like you would think that for a big name guy like Taker they would have had someone mocap a Taker style motion or even a generic "Evil guy" animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I can't wait to make Taker cut a heel promo about how the local sport team sucks.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
I have a feeling I know the answer, but... any sign of AI improvements this year? I'm one of those 'make-CAWs-and-watch-them-in-COM-vs-COM-matches' guys, and lovely AI really kills that style of play. Like the AI deciding not to counter/grapple/do anything because it has a stored finisher it's trying to hit. Same this year?

(It is, isn't it?)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Needs More Jazz posted:

I have a feeling I know the answer, but... any sign of AI improvements this year? I'm one of those 'make-CAWs-and-watch-them-in-COM-vs-COM-matches' guys, and lovely AI really kills that style of play. Like the AI deciding not to counter/grapple/do anything because it has a stored finisher it's trying to hit. Same this year?

(It is, isn't it?)

It wasn't bad at all last year. The only issue was the cpu couldn't make other cpu controlled opponents submit. They are pretty aggressive now, though the lack of AI editing still means everyone still does mostly the same thing. No idea yet whether the submission thing is fixed in 17.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

remusclaw posted:

It wasn't bad at all last year. The only issue was the cpu couldn't make other cpu controlled opponents submit. They are pretty aggressive now, though the lack of AI editing still means everyone still does mostly the same thing. No idea yet whether the submission thing is fixed in 17.

Last year if you fiddled with settings a little you could get the AI to do some cool matches. You're correct about submissions though, they were really rare.

I'm kinda excited to play but I've got my expectations in check and I'm not playing until Thursday. If the CAW mode doesn't suck horribly, I'll be happy.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 11, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Just tested CPU submissions with Bret Hart vs Ric Flair . Flair won with the figure four, so looks like that's fixed. Really aggressive AI this year from the look of it too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was reading up on the taunt system for 2k17 and it's actually a cool idea to make the taunts effect you in different ways to where you can actually be strategic with them instead of spamming them.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

looking forward to seeing everyone's lovely caws. picking this up today but usually it takes my xbone 15 hours to download anything, so it'll be a while before I can post mine

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I was reading up on the taunt system for 2k17 and it's actually a cool idea to make the taunts effect you in different ways to where you can actually be strategic with them instead of spamming them.

It works fairly well too. The animations seem to blend better, so you can, say, hit the Pele with AJ and then do his arms-spread pose to get the buff and it looks pretty natural.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Watched some of New Legacy's midnight stream, and it seems like there's a lot of good and some not so good. Apparently you can't slam people through the top of the cell anymore? People only fall from a gentle push or slight stumble. Craaap. Also, no more 2D renders for wrestlers, only game models. Gets that helps CAWs and Superstar Steve Austin look like they belong better with the real stars

On the plus side, the audience isn't infinite clones. It's infinite palette-swapped clones--you can't notice if you're not straight looking for it. That's a really subtle but effectI've improvement.the backstage brawling is great but pretty limited.

Not jumping to spend the cash but I like what I've seen so far mostly.

Twisted Eye fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
It looks like a really clean UI this year. I plan on getting a next gen system next year maybe it will be on sale and I'll check it out. Honestly I'll forgive the actual gameplay if the experience is clean and easy to use. I'm the worst gamer.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Optimist with doubt posted:

It looks like a really clean UI this year. I plan on getting a next gen system next year maybe it will be on sale and I'll check it out. Honestly I'll forgive the actual gameplay if the experience is clean and easy to use. I'm the worst gamer.

From the videos I saw, the UI across the board looks so much better than it has, which to be honest, is a blessing. The actual gameplay has remained mostly the same, and I know I'm one of the few people who likes the more slowed down, simulation style gameplay, but it was such a pain in the rear end to find anything in that games menus last year, and having to bounce back and forth between menus for every little thing was annoying.

A clean UI for this series seems like such a minor thing, but it makes life so much easier, especially for someone like me who spends 90% of their time doing creation stuff.

How's the soundtrack this year BTW? U usually end up playing with the game on mute after about a week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pro and the S are just coming out, I doubt the next gen will be out by next year.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...
I say next gen meaning the system above what I have now which is just a 360.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

joylessdivision posted:

How's the soundtrack this year BTW? U usually end up playing with the game on mute after about a week.
It's "produced" by Diddy, so expect French Montana and probably some mass-market pop rock

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

last time I played this poo poo was 2k14 or whatever the one with Punk was. is the grappling system still the same i.e. grapple plus a direction, then inputting grapple plus a direction for moves

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's "produced" by Diddy, so expect French Montana and probably some mass-market pop rock

So business as usual. Never change WWE games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I say next gen meaning the system above what I have now which is just a 360.

The PS4 and XBone have been out for three years, you're looking for current gen and past gen, I think.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

last time I played this poo poo was 2k14 or whatever the one with Punk was. is the grappling system still the same i.e. grapple plus a direction, then inputting grapple plus a direction for moves

Punk was 2013. And yeah it's been like that since then and I don't see them changing it any time soon because LOLYUKES

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Career mode still sucks I assume?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

They sort of slimmed it down for the last iterations, there are 12 front grapples instead of 16. There are 4 that you get the old way, hitting A/X and then using the pad, but the other 8 are A/X + direction that you either tap or hold. So it's mostly the same but there are fewer lockups. Which is good, because the pace is slowed enough as it is.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Golashes posted:

Career mode still sucks I assume?

It looks like they might have streamlined it a bit and made it easier to get title shots and all that. But I don't know how much of a slog it is like 16.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

Punk was 2013. And yeah it's been like that since then and I don't see them changing it any time soon because LOLYUKES

isn't this basically a good system though, like I remember plenty of games that had worse, I never minded it

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Did anybody here buy it?

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...

IcePhoenix posted:

The PS4 and XBone have been out for three years, you're looking for current gen and past gen, I think.

Ok sure fine

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is the online not poo poo anymore or are they still using that stupid system that ruined it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are reversals still purely timing-based? That's always been the worst aspect of the Yuke's gameplay IMO. Like, getting used to a consistent timing window shouldn't grant you a limitless supply of countermeasures for anything an opponent throws at you. That is horrible design for a competitive game.

Ability to counter should involve some sort of cost, and in a wrestling game should take the rest of the match into account somehow (accumulated damage, current momentum, etc.). Last game I played was '12 and I remember how ridiculous it got where you basically had to ignore grapples entirely.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Minidust posted:

Are reversals still purely timing-based? That's always been the worst aspect of the Yuke's gameplay IMO. Like, getting used to a consistent timing window shouldn't grant you a limitless supply of countermeasures for anything an opponent throws at you. That is horrible design for a competitive game.

Ability to counter should involve some sort of cost, and in a wrestling game should take the rest of the match into account somehow (accumulated damage, current momentum, etc.). Last game I played was '12 and I remember how ridiculous it got where you basically had to ignore grapples entirely.

They give you 5 reversals that if you use up you don't get any more until your meters fill up again. So you have to be strategic in using them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The_Rob posted:

They give you 5 reversals that if you use up you don't get any more until your meters fill up again. So you have to be strategic in using them.
It feels a bit off to just start everyone with 5 as a blanket thing, but that's a step in the right direction for sure. Cool!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't have the game yet but FYI, don't put your PS4 into Sleep Mode while on the title screen, seems it could wipe out all your poo poo.

quote:

Hello all,
I've heard from a few folks on Twitter already that putting your PS4 into "sleep" mode while on the main menu of WWE 2K17 can result in all of your save data being removed; almost like it's a new PS4.
Tickets have been created and 2K and WWEGames social networks have been alerted.
Game safe, friends!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/56zis1/wwe_2k17_ps4_save_data_loss_warning/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Minidust posted:

It feels a bit off to just start everyone with 5 as a blanket thing, but that's a step in the right direction for sure. Cool!

Not everyone has 5.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't have the game yet but FYI, don't put your PS4 into Sleep Mode while on the title screen, seems it could wipe out all your poo poo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/56zis1/wwe_2k17_ps4_save_data_loss_warning/

What the hell? How does that even happen.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
wait all of your save data? what the gently caress. God this game is garbage

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
At the same time who goes into sleep mode while you are in the title screen. Just close the game and then go to sleep mode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Rob posted:

What the hell? How does that even happen.

PROTIP: WWE games are bad and you shouldn't buy them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The_Rob posted:

At the same time who goes into sleep mode while you are in the title screen. Just close the game and then go to sleep mode.

I've accidentally thrown my PS4 into sleep a few times since they updated to the new UI. It's easier than you think.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My game was just delivered by Amazon now to let 11 gigs download.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Most games allow you to switch to other apps, if not other games, which makes the bug more likely. Plus a lot of people would probably not bother or forget to manually close the game app when they've played some matches and want to do something else. Games have trained us to head back to the title screen when we're done with them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I usually go to the home screen then put it to whatever the not-quite-powered-off mode is called. Rest mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Reigns Mode