Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just started reading the second book in anticipation of the new season and it's nice to have faces I can put to the characters in my head now.

I've said this before about this show but I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else:
None of the characters they cast looked anything like the vision I had of them in my head. None. In stark contrast, every location, station interior, piece of tech, or ship looked almost exactly like I had them in my head.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or the result of the writers being especially adept at describing places and scenes and working closely with the TV adaptation folks (probably the latter), but for example the sequence where the Martians helped them escape the Donnager played out exactly how it did in my head about a year ago when I read Leviathan Wakes, right down to the layout of the corridors during the firefights, the look of the martian suits and guns, and the way the ship they escaped in looked in the hangar as they boarded under fire and crashed their way out of there. I remember thinking to myself while reading it that I hope when they adapt this it looks like how I'm imagining it... and holy crap it's like they took it right out of my brain. Or rather, they managed to put eerily similar imagery onto the screen as the book had put into my brain.

All the characters in the TV show are great and the actors really fit the roles though, so they've effortlessly replaced the now-forgotten images I had of them before. In fact I think the characters and their interactions are the biggest improvement from book to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix has acquired The Expanse as a Netflix Original outside of the US.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-drama-the-expanse-streaming-netflix-1201834745/

Doesn't really change anything for us inside the US, but this deal makes 3+ seasons much more likely since Netflix is paying for distribution rights.

Don't forget, global distribution rights on Netflix completely paid for the first season of Star Trek Discovery before frame one was even shot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh cool I can "legally" watch season 2 on netflix then.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Came here to post that, thanks for being so quick on the trigger! Which company has streaming rights for inside the US? It's rare that we get something on Netflix that you don't during all these years of US-only network sites/itunes/hulu/etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You stream it on the Syfy website. Even if it's on hulu, you'd need a cable subscription.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Season 1 is available through Amazon

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syfy/USA stuff is inconsistent. Mr Robot is on Amazon as is Defiance. Dark Matter is on Netflix. Killjoys is nowhere. A lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of Syfy shows are either transplants or joint efforts with Canadian networks.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This might be kind of a dumb question, but does that mean Netflix will have season 2 up at some point after it completely finishes airing in the states? Or will they put each episode up individually like Hulu does?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to some dirty furreners, Netflix can do weekly episodic stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Syfy/USA stuff is inconsistent. Mr Robot is on Amazon as is Defiance. Dark Matter is on Netflix. Killjoys is nowhere. A lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of Syfy shows are either transplants or joint efforts with Canadian networks.

Almost as if Netflix (mostly) does content deals with production studios and not networks.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/785923038478905344
https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/785937740831391745

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thwomp posted:

Almost as if Netflix (mostly) does content deals with production studios and not networks.

Well yes, but it stands out more for Syfy since their content generally comes from a wider number of sources.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
They announced they will be putting the show on Amazon Prime before S2 starts as well. You can buy the episodes or the Blu-ray now if you want.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

That sounds awesome. Is he going to be the 'head' (aka Tricia Helfer as 'head' cylon) of the protomolecule? I would have thought Tom Jane would still be doing that, rocking that side mullet for years. Then again I just started the third book so I probably don't know what I'm talking about

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I can't shake the feeling that he's going to be the Investigator analogue because Thomas Jane (Miller) is too expensive. :smith:

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I can't shake the feeling that he's going to be the Investigator analogue because Thomas Jane (Miller) is too expensive. :smith:

He's probably going to be (SERIOUSLY DON'T MOUSE OVER THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS) part of the "voice" of Eros, along with Julie

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He definitely never asked for that.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Grand Fromage posted:

He definitely never asked for that.

Goddamnit I was going to say that

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My planetoid is augmented

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hunterhr posted:

Goddamnit I was going to say that

What a shame.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Season 1 just got released on Netflix over here in Belgium (or Europe?)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Season 1 just got released on Netflix over here in Belgium (or Europe?)

Hey we live in the same country.

Pretty sure it's worldwide though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
You're not alone...

PS : always set the UI of your Netflix client in English. You'd be surprised how many series get filtered out if you don't.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hadn't seen it posted in here yet but they have announced that Season 2 starts February 8th.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm kind of dreading the next book, not because I think it'll be bad, but because everything's super hosed, and the title is really dark. Like I almost don't want to read it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I'm kind of dreading the next book, not because I think it'll be bad, but because everything's super hosed, and the title is really dark. Like I almost don't want to read it.
I know what you mean, it's going to be interesting. Also there's a thread for the book series, where you won't have to use spoiler tags for thoughts like that.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Farscape and to a much lesser degree Defiance are the only Sy-Fy shows that I've ever really liked, so mostly I don't pay attention to what they're putting out. I'm really glad I listened to some friends who were pushing me to watch this one. I'm kinda shocked by how well done it is, and even though I'm only to episode 7 It's pushing way close to the top of my favorite science fiction show list.

My only compliant is that Thomas Jayne's greasy Flock of Seagulls hairdo make his scenes super hard to not fast forward through.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
45 year old spotted

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hello fellow Farscape fan

Frankenstyle posted:

My only compliant is that Thomas Jayne's greasy Flock of Seagulls hairdo make his scenes super hard to not fast forward through.

Stick with it. His scenes get better, haircut notwithstanding.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
His haircut is actually extremely good though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The haircut is amazing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Frankenstyle posted:

His haircut looks nothing like Flock of Seagulls. Get your glasses checked grandpa.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Josh Lyman posted:

His haircut looks nothing like Flock of Seagulls. Get your glasses checked grandpa.

Not the hill I wanna die on, but you clip the side a little shorter and dump a quart of 10W30 on it and you're pretty much there.

Agronox posted:

Hello fellow Farscape fan

I have an almost unhealthy love for that show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milky Moor posted:

His haircut is actually extremely good though.

Just needs a shampoo, switch to a straw hat. TGIF!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

etalian posted:

The haircut is amazing
Seriously. If it weren't for my need to stay employed I'm an office setting I'd attempt it.

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009
just gonna bump to remind latest book came out today, Babylon's Ashes
yeye tv thread but idgaf

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

New trailer for season 2. loving space battles ...... yeeeeeesssssssssss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06EIAuYRRTw

Totally just a rumour since I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere but I heard they're doing similar to season one and showing the first episode online a week or 2 early.

edit - Wait it looks like the SyFy website pretty much confirms that.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 8, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

johnsonrod posted:

New trailer for season 2. loving space battles ...... yeeeeeesssssssssss!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06EIAuYRRTw

Totally just a rumour since I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere but I heard they're doing similar to season one and showing the first episode online a week or 2 early.

edit - Wait it looks like the SyFy website pretty much confirms that.

Slightly annoyed by the trailer declaring "We've reached the stars" when the first book specifically says "The Epstein Drive hadn’t given humanity the stars, but it had delivered the planets." The whole point of the story is that all three factions are in near proximity and a tense alliance, and somebody could drop a rock down a gravity well at any moment.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
And Fred Johnson saying "in this world". What?

For book fans, looks like they're slamming a bunch of poo poo together and really picking up the pace. Despite a main character appearing in the show a bit early, plot-wise the first season barely got through the first half of book one.

Also, somehow they made Tom Jane's dope haircut less dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i hate how Fred and Jim are made to be enemies when Fred is chillman in the first book at least

• Locked thread