Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Russia would be so good with a different leader

Bring back Cavalry Catherine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why have one video card if you could have three for thrice the price.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, be sure to only use vram, not gddr3

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Trasson posted:

Whenever I read something like this I wonder if people played the same Beyond the Sword I dihttp://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.phpd. The minor patch-like rebalancing wasn't awful but all of the major additions were bad.

My playtime in IV is a small fraction of III or V because I never found it that fun to begin with, so I will happily concede that I may be off about IV (I do this a lot with IV, mostly because everyone wants to fight when I say I think IV was the worst of the series if you take into account release year and such). III and V though drastically improved over the course of the expansions (Civ III was indeed "fine" at launch, but it got a lot better, versus V that was unplayable and launch and got much, much, better) and I wasn't really paying all that much attention to VI until recently because I just figured an unfun and buggy mess would launch and five years and two expansions later it would be good. From what I'm seeing in watching other folks play though, that doesn't seem the be the case. Which is good!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bring back Cavalry Catherine

In a game with multiple leaders not having Catherine as one of the Russian options would be terrible.

But then again so is launching without the Mongols. :argh:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Maybe I'm dumb. How come only Greece has two leaders? Or have the other second leaders not been revealed even in the press build? Or is Sparta a separate civ, which makes no sense?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Antti posted:

Maybe I'm dumb. How come only Greece has two leaders? Or have the other second leaders not been revealed even in the press build? Or is Sparta a separate civ, which makes no sense?

The second Greek leader hasn't even been officially announced yet. It would be pretty weird if only one civ had two leaders at launch. Gotta figure either the others all get revealed soon or none of them are in at launch and are in the first dlc or something.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oh so Gorgo is something we've seen clues about but nothing official. That explains it. So she might be DLC instead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The season pass will end up being a bunch of single liner public agendas

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Remember there was also a leak that indicated we might get Isabella. That leak also had Poland, another leak has since revealed Poland to be DLC.

The distinction with Gorgo is that she was initially revealed in a leak from what seemed like the release version of the game.

So Greece might be the only one with 2 leaders at the start? Maybe to test out how popular that choice is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Antti posted:

They wanted to show off the alternate leader feature, so they picked a civilization that was traditionally divided into two very different sides and represented them that way. :shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Second leaders are going to be a major dlc revenue source, gorgo is just a preview of things to come

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I'm really interested in the strategic view look but have only seen some screenshots. Does anyone have a YouTube link where someone plays in strategic view?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SlothBear posted:

In a game with multiple leaders not having Catherine as one of the Russian options would be terrible.

But then again so is launching without the Mongols. :argh:

They should put all these leaders in and have them deliver sick flows in leader screens IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbH1BVXywY

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, what other probably-not-base-game things have been leaked? Gorgo, Isabella, and Persia are all I can remember; is there anything else? Edit: Poland too apparently.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Actually I don't think Persia as DLC has been leaked, but should be pretty obvious

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Actually I don't think Persia as DLC has been leaked, but should be pretty obvious

Supposedly a Russian hacker or something found mentions of Persia in the game files. It's admittedly not as well-substantiated as other leaks, but, well, it's Persia. They're practically guaranteed, and they'll have the Immortal as a special unit (though I don't know what ability it'll have; the Mamluk's seems appropriate but, well, the Mamluk has that), so the maybe-leak just confirms that they're probably coming early hopefully.

I wonder if they're going to have Cyrus as a leader for them again; while multiple leaders makes putting both Cyrus and Darius in a possibility, unless like look at a different era for Persia finally or something, Cyrus would be interesting given that his killer is the leader of another civ. It's unlikely but I kind of hope for some unique diplomacy lines between him and Tomyris if he does get in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Persia wasn't in the leaked photo, it was historical pictures of:

First row: Teddy Roosevelt, Saladin, Montezuma, Pedro II, Qin Shi Huang
Second Row: Cleopatra, Victoria, Catherine de Medici, Fredrick Barbarossa, Gorgo
Third Row: Pericles, Gandhi, Hojo Tokimune, Mvemba, Harald Hardrada
Fourth Row: Jadwiga, Trajan, Peter the Great, Tomyris, Isabella
Fifth Row: Phillip II, Gilgamesh

So Gorgo (Greece), Isabella (Spain), and Jadwiga (Poland) are all but confirmed as DLC so far.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder if they're going to have Cyrus as a leader for them again; while multiple leaders makes putting both Cyrus and Darius in a possibility, unless like look at a different era for Persia finally or something, Cyrus would be interesting given that his killer is the leader of another civ. It's unlikely but I kind of hope for some unique diplomacy lines between him and Tomyris if he does get in.

I get the feeling that's why neither Caesar leads Rome.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Persia wasn't in the leaked photo, it was historical pictures of:

First row: Teddy Roosevelt, Saladin, Montezuma, Pedro II, Qin Shi Huang
Second Row: Cleopatra, Victoria, Catherine de Medici, Fredrick Barbarossa, Gorgo
Third Row: Pericles, Gandhi, Hojo Tokimune, Mvemba, Harald Hardrada
Fourth Row: Jadwiga, Trajan, Peter the Great, Tomyris, Isabella
Fifth Row: Phillip II, Gilgamesh

So Gorgo (Greece), Isabella (Spain), and Jadwiga (Poland) are all but confirmed as DLC so far.

Yeah that's what I was saying?

Anyway, Gorgo might show up in the base game because she was in the civopedia on whatever version Ed playing on that stream, unlike Jadwiga or Isabella

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

Theodora as DLC leader for Rome. :getin:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byzantine posted:

That makes sense, actually. Though it makes me wonder who the non-Darius Persian leader might be, if there is one, since those two are the only Persian leaders they've used yet. Might be a queen, actually; besides them trying to include more female leaders this time apparently (which I appreciate), so far both alternate leaders that have been leaked have been female for civs whose original leader is male.

Though that does make an alternate American leader difficult. Leaves me wanting the definitely-not-happening option of having Hillary Clinton as the other American leader (imagine how pissed people would be), but it'll probably be Washington or Lincoln.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Pretty drat excited for this

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get Xerxes as the Persian leader this time around. They've been trying to shake things up a bit from the traditional choices when it comes to 6.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roland Jones posted:

That makes sense, actually. Though it makes me wonder who the non-Darius Persian leader might be, if there is one, since those two are the only Persian leaders they've used yet. Might be a queen, actually; besides them trying to include more female leaders this time apparently (which I appreciate), so far both alternate leaders that have been leaked have been female for civs whose original leader is male.

Though that does make an alternate American leader difficult. Leaves me wanting the definitely-not-happening option of having Hillary Clinton as the other American leader (imagine how pissed people would be), but it'll probably be Washington or Lincoln.

Eleanor Roosevelt springs to mind as a potential woman American leader.

Xerxes is my first thought for a Persian leader who's not Cyrus or Darius.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Fargle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get Xerxes as the Persian leader this time around. They've been trying to shake things up a bit from the traditional choices when it comes to 6.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. The mixing things up is one of the things I've liked about the leaders so far. Maybe they'll actually pick someone from a different Persian empire, though, and pick Khosrow/Anushirvan or some other Sassanid instead; that'd be an even bigger change.

Cythereal posted:

Oh, good call.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Xerxes is my first thought for a Persian leader who's not Cyrus or Darius.

Better idea. Ardashir I. Still technically Persia! Just not Achaemenid.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Harriet Tubman or Sacajawea for America's leader please

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Some post-colonial leaders might be interesting.

Like Mossadegh for Persia

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Harriet Tubman or Sacajawea for America's leader please

Okay, as stupid as it would be to not have a president or a founding fathers as a leader, Harriet Tubman would kick rear end purely because of whatever her unique ability and agenda might be.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Okay, as stupid as it would be to not have a president or a founding fathers as a leader, Harriet Tubman would kick rear end purely because of whatever her unique ability and agenda might be.

I mean, she's no less a leader of America than many other "leaders" of past civs have been. Of course America does have a longer list I guess.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 12, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Captain Fargle posted:

Wildcard option: Some Safavid (or other Islamic Persian dynasty) leader like Abbas the Great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SlothBear posted:

I mean, she's no less a leader of America than many other "leaders" of past civs have been. Of course America does have a longer list I guess.

Yeah. They blur the lines on leaders sometimes to get a woman in, or to find a name some people might recognize; but America is a civ where we have a complete list of all leaders throughout our history with first person sources documenting every move. A little less room to stray away from using actual leaders, I think.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

America is a civ where we have a complete list of all leaders throughout our history with first person sources documenting every move. A little less room to stray away from using actual leaders, I think.

Why should America get better treatment than India

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Adding speculation fuel for the potential DLC: the list of City-States that are currently known.

Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Buenos Aires (Argentina)
Brussels (Belgium)
Carthage
Geneva (Switzerland)
Hattusa (Hittites)
Hong Kong
Jakarta (Indonesia)
Jerusalem (Israel)
Kabul (Afghanistan)
Kandy (Sri Lanka)
Kumasi (Ghana)
La Venta (Olmec)
Lisbon (Portugal)
Mohenjo-daro (Pakistan)
Nan Madol (Pohnpei(Micronesia))
Preslav (Bulgaria)
Toronto (Canada)
Seoul (Korea)
Stockholm (Sweden)
Valletta (Malta)
Vilnius (Lithuania)
Yerevan (Armenia)
Zanzibar (Tanzania)

Using Civ V as an example, just being on this list is in no way preventing a full-featured civilization later on. And most of the unique bonuses are generic enough that the host city-state could easily be simply renamed (the few that aren't could possibly have replacement effects, but are probably much less likely). Many of these have been civilizations in the series already, though often relegated to expansions. Given their selection for inclusion in the vanilla game, however, probably means that they aren't planned for the early wave of DLC.

It's a much more compact list than what Civ V had, but even so, omissions may be as telling as inclusions. There's no representatives for, say, the Celts, the Inca, Mongolia, Persia, or Poland, for instance.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ethiopia and Morocco here we come

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would honestly really like to see an Israeli civ lead by Solomon, but I don't know how well that would go over with people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'd argue that the known-quantity nature of the American presidency, and to a lesser degree the British monarchy, is actually the only reason the role of "leaders" in Civ is seen as restricted to those who've wielded the top position within their nation rather than those who are recognisable as major contributors to its legacy, or mythical leaders representative of the nation's character.

The nature of history is that things are rarely so neat in the pre-classical era and I think the idea that it has to be an actual president is stupid in a game that's been more than happy to just roll multiple cultures into a ball just to have them in the game under a 'leader' who had nothing to do with most of them.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Why should America get better treatment than India

I didn't think I was arguing against India.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ethiopia and Morocco here we come

Was there a big meltdown when Congo got announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Was there a big meltdown when Congo got announced?

No. The primary grognard meltdown was over Catherine de Medici leading France.