Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That chain is only going to the pump and I have some very heavy snips that should get through it fine. If they don't I can tape things off and dremel it. Looking at it I should be able to get all the chain tensioner bolts out as long as they aren't too long.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Toaster ovens are the best way to reheat pizza. We have one with a convection setting and I can put up to four slices in there and have them ready in ten minutes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

NitroSpazzz posted:

That chain is only going to the pump and I have some very heavy snips that should get through it fine. If they don't I can tape things off and dremel it. Looking at it I should be able to get all the chain tensioner bolts out as long as they aren't too long.

It seems like if there is nothing else in there that you'd like to come off, like chain guides or something cutting the chain would work. You should probably get the engine on a stand if it isn't already, you could have it upright as to not drop any more stuff into the engine. A set of bolt cutters would probably get that chain off with limited hassle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Score one for the amateur street mechanics! I replaced the coilpack and threw some new plugs in there while I had it apart anyway, and now it runs perfectly, smooth as hell, can't even feel the engine idling from the cabin. Maybe even better than before it started acting up, but that may just be psychological.

Now I'll just have to call my mechanic tomorrow and tell him that he's not getting that new set of golf clubs anyway ;)

Magnus Praeda posted:

Toaster ovens are the best way to reheat pizza. We have one with a convection setting and I can put up to four slices in there and have them ready in ten minutes.

I prefer a frying pan with a lid over it, on medium heat. It works really well.

Either that, or my 8kg baking steel in the oven, but that takes "some time" to warm up completely.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 11, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress rear end in a top hat dealers that list under private owners. Just inquired about a car and this is how it went:

Buyer: Hello, I'm interested in the Honda for sale, what's the mileage on it and where/when can it bee seen?

Seller: You mean the '05 Honda Accord?

(red flag right there)

Buyer: Yes. What's the mileage.

Seller: 150, all maintenance is up to date.

Buyer: Are you a dealer?

Seller: ........

Silence after that :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've always been told that its best to say "I'm calling about the car" on the phone as it'll immediately identify if you're talking to a dealer or not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not quite. A guy I know fixes and flips or parts out F-series trucks and Panther platform cars, and he's got a whole lot of stuff going at any given time, usually 2-3 trucks for sale. He doesn't cut corners, only uses good parts when fixing things, puts them together right, etc and gets generic questions like that all the time. He usually ignores them, because his experience is that people who ask open ended questions like that don't actually show up with money and buy something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

He usually ignores them, because his experience is that people who ask open ended questions like that don't actually show up with money and buy something.

Well that's throwing a blanket on buyers. Open ended or not, if you can't answer questions honestly, or post an add honestly what else are you dishonest about?

Besides, dealers and flippers are two different things, but most buyers aren't going to understand that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've had tons of people ask incredibly specific and detailed questions about poo poo I sell and flake out. I don't think you can draw a correlation either way to be honest.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

kastein posted:

Not quite. A guy I know fixes and flips or parts out F-series trucks and Panther platform cars, and he's got a whole lot of stuff going at any given time, usually 2-3 trucks for sale. He doesn't cut corners, only uses good parts when fixing things, puts them together right, etc and gets generic questions like that all the time. He usually ignores them, because his experience is that people who ask open ended questions like that don't actually show up with money and buy something.

Funny enough if he's doing that at a high enough rate he is actually a dealer, just proving the point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

I've had tons of people ask incredibly specific and detailed questions about poo poo I sell and flake out. I don't think you can draw a correlation either way to be honest.

I've had people drive in from another state and then flake out. After asking a bazillion questions before they came.

So yeah I think you're right.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

Funny enough if he's doing that at a high enough rate he is actually a dealer, just proving the point.

I answered a craigslist ad a few months back and it turned out to be a dude who was basically doing this, running an unlicensed dealership / car flipping operation with his brother. He started off trying to get me to somehow prove to him I was sufficiently interested in whatever model of car it was, basically wanting me to commit to buying it before he'd even show it to me. I told him he apparently doesn't need to sell it that badly, and if he wants to play dealer he needs to be willing to put some loving time into it. I wrapped up saying I thought it was scummy as hell to post in the private party section and that I'd be reporting his post.

He then called back twice trying to get me to come take a look at it, and his brother texted a few hours later asking if I wanted to see the car.

The takeaway is that I've concluded the PUA "negging" strategy actually works, at least with douchebag unlicensed car dealers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

I answered a craigslist ad a few months back and it turned out to be a dude who was basically doing this, running an unlicensed dealership / car flipping operation with his brother. He started off trying to get me to somehow prove to him I was sufficiently interested in whatever model of car it was, basically wanting me to commit to buying it before he'd even show it to me. I told him he apparently doesn't need to sell it that badly, and if he wants to play dealer he needs to be willing to put some loving time into it. I wrapped up saying I thought it was scummy as hell to post in the private party section and that I'd be reporting his post.

He then called back twice trying to get me to come take a look at it, and his brother texted a few hours later asking if I wanted to see the car.

The takeaway is that I've concluded the PUA "negging" strategy actually works, at least with douchebag unlicensed car dealers.

You should have reported him, curbstoners are illegal in most states

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If Tesla can't sell their cars in my state without a dealership THEN NEITHER CAN YOU SHITLORD

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Nothing like a cat fight on your bed at 5am to wake you the gently caress up...

Seems like Samsung have actually managed to make the donald trump phone with the Note 7. The original one caught fire in a massive PR disaster and now the REPLACEMENT ones are catching fire in a massive, entire eyes of the world on them, PR disaster.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've read that Samsung loses a shitload of money on their phone market and if not for some sort of pride thing they would have closed up shop a while ago

i may be thinking of a different chaebol but iirc the only reason stockholders arent fully aware of this is because they lob their phone business under their TV or electronics business in their earnings reports

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's weird that I know this word from korean dramas. Took me a second to work back to the original meaning.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've read that Samsung loses a shitload of money on their phone market and if not for some sort of pride thing they would have closed up shop a while ago

i may be thinking of a different chaebol but iirc the only reason stockholders arent fully aware of this is because they lob their phone business under their TV or electronics business in their earnings reports

I think mobiles are their own division now, because the reports i was reading this morning said that this fuckup was enough to completely wipe their Q4 operating profits for the mobile division and cost them about $2.8B

The iPhone 7 might not have a headphone port, but at least it doesn't set fire to loving aircraft!

TT whats your take on the new google iPhone 6 clone Pixel phone? Im genuinely curious how wound up apples patent lawyers are right about now for how close to the wind that design flies to apples IP.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Magnus Praeda posted:

Toaster ovens are the best way to reheat pizza...I can put up to four slices in there and have them ready in ten minutes.

:goonsay: if I've ever read one.

On my flight to and from Portland the delta flight attendants said 'if you have a Samsung Note 7 it must be off and in no circumstances can it be charged while flying'
I thought it was them being funny and some pop culture reference. Then they said it was mandatory by the FAA :stare:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

I think mobiles are their own division now, because the reports i was reading this morning said that this fuckup was enough to completely wipe their Q4 operating profits for the mobile division and cost them about $2.8B

The iPhone 7 might not have a headphone port, but at least it doesn't set fire to loving aircraft!

TT whats your take on the new google iPhone 6 clone Pixel phone? Im genuinely curious how wound up apples patent lawyers are right about now for how close to the wind that design flies to apples IP.

I'm almost positive Google is going to get the poo poo sued out of them again and the whole "not at this distance, your honour" trial case will happen all over again lol

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

On my flight to and from Portland the delta flight attendants said 'if you have a Samsung Note 7 it must be off and in no circumstances can it be charged while flying'
I thought it was them being funny and some pop culture reference. Then they said it was mandatory by the FAA :stare:

I'm not surprised. About a week ago someone turned theirs off and got on a plane. It caught fire and luckily they didn't take off yet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm almost positive Google is going to get the poo poo sued out of them again and the whole "not at this distance, your honour" trial case will happen all over again lol

its somewhat obvious when theres even a big shiny circle where the apple logo originally was.

How anyone can not be aware of apples hordes of angry lawyers by now is kind of surprising.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ferremit posted:

its somewhat obvious when theres even a big shiny circle where the apple logo originally was.

That's the fingerprint scanner, in the same spot as every other Android fingerprint reader I've ever seen.

Unless you think they should put it centered right under the screen on front :haw:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Jury duty is boring as gently caress. Or at least the waiting to get called and potentially placed on a jury is boring as gently caress.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So... is it :goonsay: because I'm heating up 4 slices of pizza or that I'm using a toaster oven to do it?

If it's the former, how many slices do you feel is appropriate for a family of two to consume for one meal? Or do you just assume that everyone on here is as sad and lonely as you?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ilkhan posted:

Jury duty is boring as gently caress. Or at least the waiting to get called and potentially placed on a jury is boring as gently caress.

I get called every 3 years like loving clockwork, for 15 years now.

So far I haven't actually been placed on a jury. Actually, so far I've only made it into the courtroom once, and one of the attorneys used a peremptory challenge to dismiss me. Now that I'm in (yet another) different county I'm kinda hoping they'll stop calling me so often. Collin and Denton counties had serious hardons for me for some reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Yup. Actually being on a jury isn't so bad. Especially when the defendant starts squirming after they finally realize that the clear-as-day video of the entire event in question is not going to jive with the lie they've been clinging to from the get-go. The schadenfreude was amazing.

Ten minutes of deliberation after probably five hours of total in-court time. Most of which was spent going 50 years in the past by the remainder of the jury (which was entirely female except for me) looking at me and saying "Well, you're the only man here, so how about you be the foreman?"

The only truly lovely thing about the whole case was the defendant's lawyer. Total loving hackjob who should've been beating on his client to take any sort of plea bargain, but instead was too busy trying to find completely irrelevant ways to cross-examine the victim. Video evidence of the defendant and his wife grabbing a left-behind purse and rushing for the door after doing so is pretty hard to beat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

How anyone can not be aware of apples hordes of angry lawyers by now is kind of surprising.

Honestly that doesn't even matter, after the "not at this distance your honour" hearing which lead to Apple winning against Samsung, the precedent is if you can't tell the different between an iPhone and another phone when you aren't on top of them they can sue you afaik

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I would be happy to do jury duty, IIRC it's fully paid time off for work. I'd also be interested in witnessing and taking part in the process.

However, while I got notifications a few times in California, every time I'd end up checking the website on the day of and find that my group had not been called.

From what I've heard, though, it's quite likely I'd be disqualified in a lot of cases, because I actually know things about computers and computer security and science and such, and that just Won't Do.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
No one cares about that for the random rear end DV trial you're going to get. Everyone has this vision of this huge case, but 75% of cases that go to trial are misdo DV cases where the entire fight is over who slapped who first.

They're also loving hilarious because in many of the DV cases both the defendang and the alledged (and I mean alledged really) victim are basket cases who've been basically fighting the entire relationship. There's some tragic cases, but they're almost all felonies. Misdo DV is generally literally a slap fight at worst.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. Actually being on a jury isn't so bad. Especially when the defendant starts squirming after they finally realize that the clear-as-day video of the entire event in question is not going to jive with the lie they've been clinging to from the get-go. The schadenfreude was amazing.

Ten minutes of deliberation after probably five hours of total in-court time. Most of which was spent going 50 years in the past by the remainder of the jury (which was entirely female except for me) looking at me and saying "Well, you're the only man here, so how about you be the foreman?"

The only truly lovely thing about the whole case was the defendant's lawyer. Total loving hackjob who should've been beating on his client to take any sort of plea bargain, but instead was too busy trying to find completely irrelevant ways to cross-examine the victim. Video evidence of the defendant and his wife grabbing a left-behind purse and rushing for the door after doing so is pretty hard to beat.

You understand that you can't make clients plea and not doing anything is IAC (and creates client control issues)?

If your client ignores you, which they do often (pretty much every defense attorney advises clients to plea 90% of the time), you have to do something.

Generally, of my client views the damaging video tape and won't take the deal I advise him to do, I'm not going to fight him forever and I have to do something. If he goes down, I'm not losing any sleep. Also, it is possible that the DA's offer just sucked. I've taken losers to trial to punish the DA for bad offers. I lose, client gets the same punishment, DA spends time prepping a stupid trial, and I probably get better offers next time.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 11, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fair enough, though I also got the feeling this guy might've shopped lawyers until he found one who didn't tell him to just take a loving plea deal. This guy was bad. Disorganized as all hell. I can't remember his name but I dug up his website shortly after the trial and it's straight out of Geocities. The judge on this case was almost painfully polite and my god I thought she was going to jump down and kill him (kindly) after he went on a string of what had to be at least ten questions in a row that resulted in sustained objections. I get that a defense lawyer has to defend, but that was something special.

Even sounded a bit like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlERV_ePVxU

I think the prosecutor was the only one who enjoyed watching the defendant squirm even more than I did. "So, when in this video do you take the purse to the manager? Is it here? Or here? Not yet?"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nm posted:

^^^^^^
No one cares about that for the random rear end DV trial you're going to get. Everyone has this vision of this huge case, but 75% of cases that go to trial are misdo DV cases where the entire fight is over who slapped who first.

My wife got called several times and on all but one case, she was dismissed as soon as they found out she worked in a biomedical field (pharmaceutical/oncology r&d)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only time I ever actually got called, I sat on my dick in the jury waiting room for several hours, ran out of battery on my cellphone, then we all filed into the courtroom and a plea deal was announced. Went home and worked on my jeep. An excellent day of work.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ferremit posted:

How many lawyers do you think google/alphabet has? There is no way they don't see the pending lawsuit, so I have a feeling they know they can get away with it and want to piss off apple for fun.

Anyone in seattle interested in a 1999 528i wagon 5spd for $3k? Has some minor issues(valve cover gasket leak, auto close hatch misaligned and some dents), but ~150k miles with a good service history and a new cooling system. My neighbor just emailed me asking if I was interested(he knows I am looking for a new wagon after VW buys back my sportwagen), but I need a auto for the wife to drive and I already have my miata and alltrac, so I would get in trouble for getting yet another car. It looks good from the pictures he sent me(silver on grey interior). Hell part of me wants to sell my miata off and buy this.....

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pham Nuwen posted:

My wife got called several times and on all but one case, she was dismissed as soon as they found out she worked in a biomedical field (pharmaceutical/oncology r&d)

Probably wasn't a criminal jury then.
Even then, in CA we'll make you hang out until we decide there is no one worse than you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Keep the Miata and sell the alltrac

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Keep the Miata and sell the alltrac

I keep coming back to selling the alltrac no matter what. Hasn't moved under its own power in ~6+ years. And I even ran into a old friend a couple months ago who had a friend that would probably want it even in its partially dismantled state. Mostly thought sell the miata since it could fund the e39 and free up a parking space at my house(alltrac is stored in at a friends place).

I just feel bad dragging that drat car around with me for so many years then just selling it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
And case was "resolved" (plead out, probably). Jury group got to go home.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Magnus Praeda posted:

So... is it :goonsay: because I'm heating up 4 slices of pizza or that I'm using a toaster oven to do it?

If it's the former, how many slices do you feel is appropriate for a family of two to consume for one meal? Or do you just assume that everyone on here is as sad and lonely as you?

:golfclap: on the rebuttal. I've been on the internet too long to decide if your serious or not. I guess I get that for being on these forums for way too long. It was a :goonsay: as a generalization of what the stereotypical goon used to fall under (a sad lonely poor)
I'm not lonely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I got to sit on a jury for someone's DUI. If you really think you can fight a DUI with a jury trial your an idiot. Especially if it's your third.

It was like 6 hours of boring trial stuff and 10 minutes of deliberation where we all agreed that he was guilty. I think he got a couple years in prison for it. (New York state)

• Locked thread