Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

lol if you think my listing a map at 40k instead of 45k when odds are they'll all be at 25k in a day's time is some sort of robber baron behavior

gently caress, got me responding earnestly to a verranicus post, again!

I, too, cannot see the causal relationship between massive undercutting and the price of a good dropping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Items like maps, materia, and popular consumables will sell regardless if you undercut by 1 gil or 10,000 gil. The person you're hurting the most with massive undercuts is yourself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bleu posted:

I, too, cannot see the causal relationship between massive undercutting and the price of a good dropping

As flattering it is to think that the 3-4 maps I sell a week are the catalyst for the daily fluctuations of anywhere from ~18k to 45k+ on one of the most frequently sold items on the MB, I don't think that's the case, sorry.

Chyea posted:

Items like maps, materia, and popular consumables will sell regardless if you undercut by 1 gil or 10,000 gil. The person you're hurting the most with massive undercuts is yourself.

This is really the only valid point made so far (Ilifin said the same thing too) about this argument.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kelp Me! posted:

As flattering it is to think that the 3-4 maps I sell a week are the catalyst for the daily fluctuations of anywhere from ~18k to 45k+ on one of the most frequently sold items on the MB, I don't think that's the case, sorry.

This is really the only valid point made so far (Ilifin said the same thing too) about this argument.

So, will you stop being a shithead and just undercut by 1 gil?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I didn't think much of gathering until I successfully collected my first counterfoil and that was probably the most satisfying thing I've done in the game yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Verranicus posted:

So, will you stop being a shithead and just undercut by 1 gil?

Depends, will you stop posting forever?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Somehow Verranicus is right that massive undercutting for no real reason (I can't think of a good reason to massively undercut the price unless you're some master market manipulator where you buy everything at a low price and sell later or something) is extremely dumb.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Somehow Verranicus is right that massive undercutting for no real reason (I can't think of a good reason to massively undercut the price unless you're some master market manipulator where you buy everything at a low price and sell later or something) is extremely dumb.

Honestly? It is dumb, and I usually don't undercut by nearly that much on maps, and when I do I deserve the gil loss for my laziness/impatience. And I understand the frustration of having someone gently caress with market prices by listing 15 Luminous Fibers or whatever at half the current going rate: you worked hard to craft that poo poo, and this asshat is eating into your profits.

But loving lol at anybody who gets angry over the fact that I'm undercutting treasure maps once or twice a week. The phrase "a drop in the bucket" applies pretty heavily in this situation.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Jesus christ thread

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
as long as you know you're a moron you can do whatever the hell you want. just don't get all defensive when people call you out on it

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What was the name of the self proclaimed market baron who got irrationally angry every time someone undercut him on glamours? He claimed to have a trade cabal and everything.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Undercut all you want friend (and justifiably be the object of scorn) but my maps sell within the hour I post them because they're consumed like popcorn so there's very little reason to list them at anything but the current market price. You're just denying yourself gil at that point.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I crafted myself the weaver i195 offhand, but since i don't immediately need it and asking 2.7 mil for a 3 star craft with material cost of like 450k is complete bullshit in my eyes, i decided to throw it onto the market board for today. Don't really expect to sell it. But i've been undercutting the like 4 other crafters asking the above price who are waging their dumb 1 gil war for the entire day.
Every time they undercut me by 1 gil, i undercut them by 100k. I've been checking every hour or so, and i've already driven the price down to 1.7mil. I'm gonna pull out at the end of the day and use it for myself, but maybe some other aspiring crafter can make use of my fun little venture and get started on high-end crafting for a less-than-ridiculous prize.

Even if my gambit fails and someone buys my offhand, i'm currently still more than a million up from what it cost me to make. I'm interested to see how far these others would be willing to race to the bottom in this game of market board chicken, but i have to call it soon. :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Velthice posted:

as long as you know you're a moron you can do whatever the hell you want. just don't get all defensive when people call you out on it

I own up to my dumbness and am rewarded with the satisfaction that verranicus grinds his teeth a little every time he sees a Dragonskin Map being sold for less than the (constantly, rapidly fluctuating) market average

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I usually end up buying the item that is 1 gil more expensive than the undercut anyway because it feels like the right thing to do to me.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Kelp Me! posted:

lol if you think my listing a map at 40k instead of 45k when odds are they'll all be at 25k in a day's time is some sort of robber baron behavior

gently caress, got me responding earnestly to a verranicus post, again!

I do this too.

Honest to god, people get so bent out of shape about the worthless money in this game. I take great pleasure "ruining the market boards" little by little if only to create some self satisfaction that I may have inadvertently trolled people, including some of the people in this thread. 5k isn't going to make or break your bank, weenies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Grimace posted:

I do this too.

Honest to god, people get so bent out of shape about the worthless money in this game. I take great pleasure "ruining the market boards" little by little if only to create some self satisfaction that I may have inadvertently trolled people, including some of the people in this thread. 5k isn't going to make or break your bank, weenies.

Most people here are right though - I am losing out on money for absolutely no real good reason. It's just the small fringe of "zomg I hate people like you, ruining the economy" posts that make it worth it :allears:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I personally always match the lowest price of whatever I decide to sell. I even use a retainer named "Alwaysmatchesprices" for it. more often than not people see the name, assume it's a bot, and just meet the price. prices stay high, everyone's happy, and we poo poo on the poors forever and ever

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Grimace posted:

I do this too.

Epic trolling, man. Just epic.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

Epic trolling, man. Just epic.

gotta give credit where it's due, your posting is getting better

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I usually end up buying the item that is 1 gil more expensive than the undercut anyway because it feels like the right thing to do to me.

I do this too, unless I'm buying a big stack of something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Velthice posted:

I personally always match the lowest price of whatever I decide to sell. I even use a retainer named "Alwaysmatchesprices" for it. more often than not people see the name, assume it's a bot, and just meet the price. prices stay high, everyone's happy, and we poo poo on the poors forever and ever

Really what started me off on the undercutting at all was the fact that the map market fluctuates so drat fast. SettingSun mentioned his maps always sell right away even without undercutting; maybe I've just had bad luck but more often than not it seemed like the market would drop right after I listed my map, and I would end up having to drop the price to match. I know that's the nature of the market, but it happened enough times that I just said gently caress it and started undercutting more and more each time. Not arguing that the amount I do it by is dumb as hell, though.

I stand by my unrelated opinion that maps are fun as hell, and easy as hell to obtain, and I wouldn't mind the loss of steady income if it meant maps were much cheaper/more accessible.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

My fun undercutting adventure was the Christmas event from... two years ago? It involved getting a simple to craft item that people were selling for thousands. I decided to get in the spirit of the holiday and fill up both my retainers selling them for a whole 1 gil apiece. I was surprised that it took something like a day and a half for somebody to try and buy them all up and relist them. They got half my stock (I was dicking around in the house so it was easy to pull a retainer) so I decided to change my strategy and set a price ceiling: 40 of them would be on the market at all times for 1k for the rest of the event. It wasn't a market-shaking action or anything, just trying to give everybody a Merry Christmas.

I do this too for no adequately explained reason :frogbon:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

{Same.}

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Me! posted:

Really what started me off on the undercutting at all was the fact that the map market fluctuates so drat fast. SettingSun mentioned his maps always sell right away even without undercutting; maybe I've just had bad luck but more often than not it seemed like the market would drop right after I listed my map, and I would end up having to drop the price to match. I know that's the nature of the market, but it happened enough times that I just said gently caress it and started undercutting more and more each time. Not arguing that the amount I do it by is dumb as hell, though.

I stand by my unrelated opinion that maps are fun as hell, and easy as hell to obtain, and I wouldn't mind the loss of steady income if it meant maps were much cheaper/more accessible.

noted, but it sounds like you're babysitting them trying to get your payout as soon as possible, which is fine to do for a big ticket item that moves slowly but for something fast moving like maps all you have to do is throw it up, forget about it and wait for the market to eventually yo-yo to your price a few days later

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HenryEx posted:

I crafted myself the weaver i195 offhand, but since i don't immediately need it and asking 2.7 mil for a 3 star craft with material cost of like 450k is complete bullshit in my eyes, i decided to throw it onto the market board for today. Don't really expect to sell it. But i've been undercutting the like 4 other crafters asking the above price who are waging their dumb 1 gil war for the entire day.
Every time they undercut me by 1 gil, i undercut them by 100k. I've been checking every hour or so, and i've already driven the price down to 1.7mil. I'm gonna pull out at the end of the day and use it for myself, but maybe some other aspiring crafter can make use of my fun little venture and get started on high-end crafting for a less-than-ridiculous prize.

Even if my gambit fails and someone buys my offhand, i'm currently still more than a million up from what it cost me to make. I'm interested to see how far these others would be willing to race to the bottom in this game of market board chicken, but i have to call it soon. :(
Probably won't fail. Demand for a level 60 high-end crafter offhand is limited to two kinds of people: those who would buy it with the gil they make from crafting (who already have it) and gilbuyers.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Koji Fox must be stopped.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Real maps take 60 :eng101:

Yes but it took no effort to get to from 50 to 60, all the leveling difficulty for gatherers is in the 1-50 range.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dr Snofeld posted:

I uh I don't get this joke

What turbo nerd thing is it referencing

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Eorzean free market knows whats best for us warriors of light.

boy are my arms tired posted:

I uh I don't get this joke

What turbo nerd thing is it referencing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MAmkKp5tsI

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eopia posted:

Yes but it took no effort to get to from 50 to 60, all the leveling difficulty for gatherers is in the 1-50 range.

Yeah because starting at 50 you can fill up you inventory with the level 50 collectables and get over 2 million per full inventory. You could just poop sock it for a day and get any gatherer to 60

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Every single quest ends with someone being like "Guess it's time to turn myself in to the cops."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every single quest ends with someone being like "Guess it's time to turn myself in to the cops."

It's more like "Pray, guess it be time I be turnin' meself and me own into th'cops."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Snofeld posted:

That man is a goddamn menace.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

seiferguy posted:

jesus ok that's esoteric

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Less esoteric, more, "you just outed yourself as being at least ten eight five years younger than the rest of us." =P

That song topped at #1 on Billboard's Top 100, back in the day.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 11, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I undercut to a whole number becasue inputing finicky numbers is annoying on controller and I can't be bothered to reach for my keyboard. Sometimes this means I undercut by a lot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I know that's the original but this will forever be what I think of first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2E1m90YSpA&t=19s

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

boy are my arms tired posted:

jesus ok that's esoteric

This post in particular makes me feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I undercut to a whole number becasue inputing finicky numbers is annoying on controller and I can't be bothered to reach for my keyboard. Sometimes this means I undercut by a lot.

I take my laziness one step further and never adjust the tens or singles digits of the selling price (so if the default sale price is 17g and I'm listing for 10k, it's gonna get listed at 10,017). Same reasoning as you.

I like to think that someone out there sees my weird prices and believes I'm doing something in-depth like pre-calculating market tax so that I end up with an even 10k in my pocket, and not just that I'm a lazy moron.

• Locked thread