Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ALSO console chat, you can't buy boxes until tomorrow, so don't buy regular boxes by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Papercut posted:

Are you kidding me? They're event rewards, in what world would they be available at any time other than the event?!? :psyduck:

"Pumpkin spice year around plz"

Huxley posted:

Console aiming changes in patch notes:

Controller users can now choose between two aiming modes

Dual-Zone mode (New default): The vast majority of the thumbstick's range moves with reduced sensitivity and relatively high acceleration. However, when the thumbstick crosses to the outer 10% of its range, it will move with high sensitivity and relatively low acceleration. This mode will allow for more precise aiming, while still allowing players to turn around quickly

Exponential Ramp mode (Old default): As the thumbstick moves toward the outside of its range, the sensitivity is ramped up exponentially. The acceleration remains relatively high throughout

Whoa drat... I might actually buy a copy for console now... That is a legit cool change.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:allears:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

2MB posted:

I didn't even think you could McCree ult the bosses. Every time I tried it the circle would never decrease in size for the bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS_rg75X-4A

it goes down slowly but a non-nanoboosted mcree ult will oneshot a reaper and almost oneshot a mercy if you hit it at exactly 6s

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Ok I'm back to being grumpy about it that's some real arbitrary poo poo

better than TF2 where you can't even wear the halloween stuff the rest of the year

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Papercut posted:

Are you kidding me? They're event rewards, in what world would they be available at any time other than the event?!? :psyduck:

What's the point of making them super expensive if they're gonna be unbuyabale after the event anyway? To make them feel more ~exclusive~? I assumed making them super expensive was their solution to them being one-time-only but I guess Blizzard actually likes that aspect of it :shrug:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

CJacobs posted:

Ok I'm back to being grumpy about it that's some real arbitrary poo poo
I'm never going to have 3k in time but I want that reaper. Not paying for loot boxes though. Skullyata will soothe the pain.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

CJacobs posted:

What's the point of making them super expensive if they're gonna be unbuyabale after the event anyway? To make them feel more ~exclusive~? I assumed making them super expensive was their solution to them being one-time-only but I guess Blizzard actually likes that aspect of it :shrug:

To promote people buying loot boxes. 90% of the time this will be the answer to whatever gripe you may have with their monetization choices. The way they worded it, it sounds like the stuff will be available again next year too. It's seasonal stuff, I dunno what else you can expect.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

CJacobs posted:

What's the point of making them super expensive if they're gonna be unbuyabale after the event anyway? To make them feel more ~exclusive~? I assumed making them super expensive was their solution to them being one-time-only but I guess not :shrug:

The point is that you're not going to earn 3000 overbucks in 3 weeks so you'll buy boxes to get the skin you want.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

What's the point of making them super expensive if they're gonna be unbuyabale after the event anyway? To make them feel more ~exclusive~?

its better than them not being buyable at all like the summer games ones were

and yes it is to make them more exclusive

they want to sell you loot boxes, you don't have to buy them if you don't want to. you can instead play the game a lot and earn as many boxes as you can and save up your coins.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

2MB posted:

To promote people buying loot boxes. 90% of the time this will be the answer to whatever gripe you may have with their monetization choices.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The point is that you're not going to earn 3000 overbucks in 3 weeks so you'll buy boxes to get the skin you want.

I know that, I'm trying to come up with an answer that's not borderline-offensive levels of annoying

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Greedy loving Bli$$ard and their lovely immoral business practices! Can we talk about gambling again, thread?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I know that, I'm trying to come up with an answer that's not borderline-offensive levels of annoying

it's not offensive at all though and is actually way better than the last event? like all i can tell you is either spend money on some boxes or just play the game and get free boxes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The point is to give you a way to get that one skin you really want without having to spend any real money or rely on random chance. Which is way more generous than the vast majority of DLC in the industry.

The purpose of these events is to get you to spend money on the game. Why would anyone spend money on the game if you could just save up gold and buy these whenever you want?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

complaining about how they are doing this event is a pretty huge stretch

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the brawl is cool but don't bother trying hard mode without a group, it's just an exercise in frustration

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I mean, at least Mei will get a Christmas skin...

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the brawl is cool but don't bother trying hard mode without a group, it's just an exercise in frustration

but moonmoon, wraxu, and kaboomz made it look so easy! they even had a pubbie with them when they 5-starred it! :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
At least if you don't have coins for this event, you have learned to save them for the next one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Huxley posted:

Console aiming changes in patch notes:

Controller users can now choose between two aiming modes

Dual-Zone mode (New default): The vast majority of the thumbstick's range moves with reduced sensitivity and relatively high acceleration. However, when the thumbstick crosses to the outer 10% of its range, it will move with high sensitivity and relatively low acceleration. This mode will allow for more precise aiming, while still allowing players to turn around quickly

Exponential Ramp mode (Old default): As the thumbstick moves toward the outside of its range, the sensitivity is ramped up exponentially. The acceleration remains relatively high throughout

This sounds like a good change. Especially for like, Reinhardt.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kerrrrrrr posted:

but moonmoon, wraxu, and kaboomz made it look so easy! they even had a pubbie with them when they 5-starred it! :v:

im reasonably sure that it actually uses an mmr to match you, idly checking people pre-hero select had most people close to my current comp score

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The problem with Summer Games was that if you wanted a particular item, you had no way to purposefully try for it, or to save up credits for it. They've now fixed that, which is great.

The limited-time aspect was never the issue and it's fine that they're keeping it.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Yeah, now you can buy it with real money or, alternatively, real money.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

As cool as it is you can buy skins now, I suddenly don't care that much. $20 in loot crates got me 3 legendary skins (reaper, mercy, reinhardt) and 4 intros, as well as a shitload of other awesome Halloween stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

Yeah, now you can buy it with real money or, alternatively, real money.

The problem was more that you could in theory spend infinite money and still not get the specific item you wanted. Now you'll at least eventually save up enough duplicate money to get the thing. There's an upper limit to how much you have to gamble if you want an item, and you don't even need to spend money to reach that if you devote enough time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I already used the purple Pharah skin, so glowing purple skin seems like an obvious choice. Skulyatta and Mercy both look awesome too, even if I don't play Mercy much. These skins in general look fun, especially compared to the Summer ones. Now where's a great Zarya skin?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't play nearly as much as a bunch of folks, my current level is like 180 something at a time when some folks are level 700+, and I still have enough incidental coins saved up from regular ol' loot boxes that I can afford at least one 3000 coin skin without even needing to earn a single other box or spend a dime in real money. I feel like a system where the answer to "I want this cool cosmetic thing" is "well you'd better play the game more then" is about as inoffensive as it gets.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Bought 10 bucks worth of boxes, got every legendary skin.

The system works.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I just wish they didn't tie the halloween loot box to the normal level drop as it just super favors low level people to get the stuff for free while everyone else would probably have to pay unless they play a ton. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to put down $10 again like I did for the summer games I suppose.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or did they change the artwork and format of a lot of the HUD and stuff?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I don't play nearly as much as a bunch of folks, my current level is like 180 something at a time when some folks are level 700+, and I still have enough incidental coins saved up from regular ol' loot boxes that I can afford at least one 3000 coin skin without even needing to earn a single other box or spend a dime in real money. I feel like a system where the answer to "I want this cool cosmetic thing" is "well you'd better play the game more then" is about as inoffensive as it gets.

I don't think I've seen anyone that's been above 200 something, myself and most people I know/play with are still under 100. I don't think the average can be more than 150 to be honest. That being said I've never spent coins and I'm at like 6020.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

Anyone that's played on both PC and console, how is the Dual Zone controls? Does it make snap 180's a more realistic endeavor or is console still going to be watered down?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

2MB posted:

Anyone that's played on both PC and console, how is the Dual Zone controls? Does it make snap 180's a more realistic endeavor or is console still going to be watered down?

There is literally no chance it comes even close to KB+M.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Efexeye posted:

no one buy poo poo until the last day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14D5rUULy0

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Jastiger posted:

Is it just me or did they change the artwork and format of a lot of the HUD and stuff?

yes, they did

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Jastiger posted:

its just u

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Junkenstein's Revenge on Hard is quite challenging.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Master_Odin posted:

yes, they did

What exactly did they change so I don't drive myself crazy trying to figure every little thing out. THey obviously changed the ping and FPS format in the upper left. Are the portraits bigger? They seem...cartoonier for some reason, yet more clear at the same time.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Efexeye posted:

no one buy poo poo until the last day

Yeah imma be a cool cat and not spend my coins immediately when I don't get Reaper on my free box...

/sweats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Jastiger posted:

What exactly did they change so I don't drive myself crazy trying to figure every little thing out. THey obviously changed the ping and FPS format in the upper left. Are the portraits bigger? They seem...cartoonier for some reason, yet more clear at the same time.
They changed the social and career profile tabs the most. The social tab they basically just shrunk all of the b.net icons for some reason (without adding more to the screen so it just looks weirdly lopsided on a large monitor) and tons of changes to the career profile. I don't have the ping/FPS stuff in the upper left.