Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

In the future I'll probably also want to throw in three NVMe SSDs for L2ARC and SLOG devices along with a 10G SFP+ NIC, because I plan on my new workstation being entirely diskless and simply booting it via another 10G SFP+ NIC off a iSCSI target pointing to zvol.

Will this be cool enough you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Will this be cool enough you think?
What do you mean cool enough?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

What do you mean cool enough?

Ah I could see something going missing on the internet.......... loving internet....

I meant that that is a really awesome setup and the whole setup just screams I love computers!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use the node 804 for my freenas box. I really like the case.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Ah I could see something going missing on the internet.......... loving internet....

I meant that that is a really awesome setup and the whole setup just screams I love computers!

Oh, I thought you meant if the 10Gbps NICs would be cool enough, because I suddenly remembered that some of them have rather high TDP values (up to 20W which is just on the border being able to get away with using passive cooling) - but the one I have my eyes set on only has a TDP of 7.5W.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Oh, I thought you meant if the 10Gbps NICs would be cool enough, because I suddenly remembered that some of them have rather high TDP values (up to 20W which is just on the border being able to get away with using passive cooling) - but the one I have my eyes set on only has a TDP of 7.5W.

Lol, nah man it is just a really cool setup.

I had something like that running with Infiniband, just not the booting part.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Now that I think about it, IPMI would be very useful so I'm looking around at the supermicro boards now.. ASRock Rack would be another good choice too. The E3C236D4U specifically.

http://asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D4U#Specifications

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've built a few ASROCK Rack server/workstations and I really like em. Good prices, solid performance, stability. What's not to love?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

redeyes posted:

I've built a few ASROCK Rack server/workstations and I really like em. Good prices, solid performance, stability. What's not to love?

My only complaint is not to do with them but the fact that very few sellers (in Canada anyway) seem to have any of their boards listed. Most (like NCIX) will order them though!

Just don't get the instant gratification of an all online ordering ;)

I use several at work and they are great and have a really full featured bios.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

My only complaint is not to do with them but the fact that very few sellers (in Canada anyway) seem to have any of their boards listed. Most (like NCIX) will order them though!

Just don't get the instant gratification of an all online ordering ;)

I use several at work and they are great and have a really full featured bios.

Yes for servers their BIOSs are very good. Way way more features than your average dell.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have an Asrock Rack E3C236D2I in my Mini-ITX build and it's been great. The IPMI is pretty good, though I've only really needed it once.

http://asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D2I#Specifications

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
e: nevermind just realized this is the consumer nas thread, reposting in enterprise

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
PSA for FreeNAS users: 9.10.1-U1 maybe busted for you.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/psa-updates-to-9-10-1-u1-are-currently-flaky.46358/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/was-the-9-10-1-u1-update-tested-update-failure-discussion.46354/

If you already updated, just roll back to your latest stable version until a fix is out.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I need to upgrade my harddrive, since I'm running out of room to store RAW photos.

Until now I have used WD drives (And have a synology NAS for backup), but checking prices the 6TB WD red and green drives are both 240 euros. Seems fairly expensive compared to prices 2 years ago when I got my current 3GB drive.

I could also get a 6TB WD cloud drive with gigabit ethernet for the same price. Does anyone know whether that also uses a red/green drive internally, or something worse? It seems like that would be the nicer option if the reliability is similar, just because I could if I needed to access everything from my laptop as well.

I can also get a 6TB Toshiba X300 for ~200, but I have no idea what their reputation is nowadays.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ika posted:

I could also get a 6TB WD cloud drive with gigabit ethernet for the same price. Does anyone know whether that also uses a red/green drive internally, or something worse? It seems like that would be the nicer option if the reliability is similar, just because I could if I needed to access everything from my laptop as well.

I can also get a 6TB Toshiba X300 for ~200, but I have no idea what their reputation is nowadays.

You can't guarantee what exact drive they'll shove into their Cloud Drives (or any other USB/attached device), but expect something akin to a Green (probably worse); it absolutely will not be a Red. If you've already got a NAS, I struggle to see why you'd want a Cloud Drive, since they do nothing that your NAS doesn't already, have zero redundancy, and are generally a poo poo ton more vulnerable to exploits if you allow it to be accessible via the internet compared to a traditional NAS. Also remember that the Cloud Drives carry a 2yr or less warranty, while Red drives are 3yr, and Red Pro are 5yr.

Not sure how prices in Euro-land have gone, but 3 years ago 2TB Reds were ~$110/ea or $55/TB. Now 3TB Reds are about $110/ea, or $36/TB, while 6TB Reds are $230/ea or $38/TB. So basically prices are pretty much what you'd should expect, at least in dollars.

Also don't be afraid to look at the Seagate NAS drives. So far no one's been able to show any particularly noticeable reliability difference between them and WD Reds, so if there's a substantial price difference you might as well go with whichever is cheaper.

Toshiba drives are reasonably generic--not great, but not terrible, but I'd spend the extra few pennies to get a NAS drive if you're going to actually shove it into a NAS. Also definitely check the warranty on that: in the US the X300's are only 1yr, which is trash and not advisable.

eames
May 9, 2009

How do you guys actually access and sync to your servers/NAS boxes remotely on a daily basis?

I used BTsync which worked great up to version 1.4.
They seem to have tweaked the service to the point where it has become too unreliable for me, particularly now that they seem to provide a P2P sync "service" rather than a simple program that requires no third party infrastructure. Some networks block the bittorrent protocol on a low level (deep packet inspection?) which can be a pain to work around.

Syncthing looks ok but has no iOS client. I made a few attempts at setting up owncloud but it seemed bloated and requires too much maintenance.

For the first time in years I'm tempted to sign up for a iCloud Drive/Google Drive/Amazon Drive and let them snoop though my data just to be done with it but I won't give in yet. :eng99:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eames posted:

How do you guys actually access and sync to your servers/NAS boxes remotely on a daily basis?

I used BTsync which worked great up to version 1.4.
They seem to have tweaked the service to the point where it has become too unreliable for me, particularly now that they seem to provide a P2P sync "service" rather than a simple program that requires no third party infrastructure. Some networks block the bittorrent protocol on a low level (deep packet inspection?) which can be a pain to work around.

Syncthing looks ok but has no iOS client. I made a few attempts at setting up owncloud but it seemed bloated and requires too much maintenance.

For the first time in years I'm tempted to sign up for a iCloud Drive/Google Drive/Amazon Drive and let them snoop though my data just to be done with it but I won't give in yet. :eng99:

I don't think most people use their servers in that way. I mean, I haven't done a scientific poll or anything, but I believe most people use their servers for bulk storage. If they're doing any syncing, its backing up their other devices to it either via rsync-ish type things or something like Crashplan.

If you're wanting to have dropbox-ish syncing capabilities I think SpiderOak encrypts your stuff so SpiderOak doesn't have access to it.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
What's people's opinion on the Celeron G1610T? I'm pondering buying those super cheap Gen8 microservers with rebate vs buying a more recent dual core QNAP or something. Maximum CPU load would be Plex transcoding 1080p to one, sometimes two devices simultaneously but from the sounds of things I'd be hard put to do that on any device under $800 so will most likely run Plex off my desktop anyway.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right now the newegg shell shocker deal is 2x HGST 5TB NAS drives for $339. Is that an insane deal as it sounds? Any particular issues with this drive? link.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 11, 2016

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
HGST NAS drives are good. If 5TB models fit your needs, it's a good (but I wouldn't say amazing, as single drives for ~$160 has happened before) deal. I was pondering starting to buy them as I inevitably need to replace some aging Samsung F4s (and their Seagate rebadged equivalents), but decided that I'd rather wait and hope for 6TBs (which is what I got the last time I expanded my file server) drop in price by then.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's not a bad price (3.4c/GB), but it's also not particularly impressive. NewEgg also has 4TB Reds for $150/EA (3.75c/GB) and 6TB Reds for $234 (0.39c/GB), and the Seagate equivalents for slightly less, with promo codes bringing the 6TB model down to 3.5c/GB

They do seem to be the only makers of 5TB NAS drives, if that happens to be a sweet spot for you, size wise. Quality wise they should be on par at worst with WD, so no worries there. The only concern would be that they go on sale less frequently than the others, so if you wanted to add more later you might end up paying a few bucks extra.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You're paying extra for 7200 RPM drives that are rated for use in a rack. If you need that great, if you don't then you can probably find a better deal elsewhere.

Backblaze reported a lower failure rate for HGST drives but that was a few years back.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
7200 RPM drives seem like a losing spot to be right now. If you want speed, why the hell are you spinning a platter? And if you're after cheap, bulk, energy efficient storage 7200 doesn't help on any of those 3 counts.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's a reason why Toshiba and WD had or acquired solid state storage production capacity.

Seagate has yet to do the same, which is why they're doing silly things like stuffing 60tb of Hynix MLC in a 3.5" form factor

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Hey dudes. Got some storage for sale on SA Mart and OP said I could whore it out here. Feel free to tell me where to shove it.

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 2100 v2 with 4x WD RED 3TB
NETGEAR ReadyNAS 1100 4 bay NAS with 2x Seagate NAS 2TB

One guy has PM'd about the 1100, but no agreements have taken place so, you know.

Thanks for looking.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

For the sake of tidiness, is there such a thing as a (low-end, consumer) NAS that uses an internal power supply instead of an external brick?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

For the sake of tidiness, is there such a thing as a (low-end, consumer) NAS that uses an internal power supply instead of an external brick?

Synology and QNAP's 5 bay stuff use internal power supplies. Starts around $500 though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You could also just double stick the brick to the Nas.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question - if there's a better place, feel free to point me in that direction...

I'm moving house with my GF and want to set up a decent NAS setup for us to backup all our assorted crap. So far the list includes 2 photo albums, plus movies, TV shows, the usual. Proposed house setup will be my desktop, her laptop, some sort of NAS and an HTPC. The setup I think I want is:
  • my desktop (usually on 24/7) pushes data to the NAS on a nightly basis - that'll be my photos & music, plus any downloads etc that I want backing up
  • her laptop pushes data to the NAS on demand / on a schedule - that's just her photos ATM
  • HTPC can play media (photos, video) from the NAS on demand. Note that the majority of TV viewing is through a Virgin Media Tivo box - the HTPC is just for additional bits and bobs
  • the NAS pushes a selection of data (probably just photos) to a cloud account (DropBox, Google Drive, ...? still tbc)

Does that make sense as a general setup for a two-person household?

If so, what do I want in my NAS? I think that something like the SA Drivebox NAS would be ideal - or should I be looking at something simpler like a pre-built Synology box?

Sorry if these questions are all fairly basic - my previous backup "solution" has been a bit hacky and whilst fine for a lone IT nerd, I'd like to move to something a bit more automated and "hands-off" that will Just Work without me babysitting it. Thanks!

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

If you want to build something, The SA DriveBox NAS is a good starting point. If you don't, Synology and QNAP have great offerings. How many bays comes down to just how much storage/redundancy you want and how much you want to spend.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

SynMoo posted:

If you want to build something, The SA DriveBox NAS is a good starting point. If you don't, Synology and QNAP have great offerings. How many bays comes down to just how much storage/redundancy you want and how much you want to spend.

I'm quite happy to build something if that's going to be the best solution. I think I prefer the "build your own" option just because it gives more flexibility in terms of installing specific software; however, per my post above that's the weak point in my current setup (too much fiddly hand-crafted stuff), so if it's simpler to go with a pre-built box (and supporting software for automating backups) then I'm happy to go with that.

On the redundancy side - should I factor in running in RAID-1 for drive redundancy as well as storing "critical" stuff off-site, or is that overkill? I've never had a hard drive die on me yet, but I guess it has to happen to someone at some point...

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Both Synology and QNAP have a huge array of available software addons. Check them out.

It really comes down to how much storage you need, how much you want to spend, and how tolerant you are of having to wait for your data should the local storage fail. Once you figure that out, it's easier to make suggestions on what might make sense.

I think 4 bay NAS devices are a great starting point if you think you'll grow in the future. You can leave one or two bays open and start with RAID1 across two disks. Then as you find you need more storage, you can add more drives and potentially migrate to RAID 5/6/10 depending on how many you add and your goals.

If you're planning on backing everything up off site, then you couple probably get away with a single bay model, or perhaps a dual bay with one disk to start.

Depending on how much performance you need, you could pick up a 4 bay unit and and two 4TB drives for less than $600, giving you either 4TB (RAID1) or 8TB (JBOD) usable storage.

Figure out your needs and budget and the rest is a lot easier to figure out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The biggest change I'd make to that SA Drivebox build is to find some flavor of used LSI HBA on eBay and use that instead of the Syba Asmedia controller. You might be out another $30 or $40 in total between the card and the SAS->SATA breakout cable, but you get a controller with much better support for things like ZFS.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The biggest change I'd make to that SA Drivebox build is to find some flavor of used LSI HBA on eBay and use that instead of the Syba Asmedia controller. You might be out another $30 or $40 in total between the card and the SAS->SATA breakout cable, but you get a controller with much better support for things like ZFS.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? My understanding was that you're flashing those things into JBOD mode anyway, and that ZFS has the software do all the heavy lifting so that the hardware doesn't matter in general. Given that you're not using any hardware RAID or special driver features on either controller, why does the controller matter?

Is performance on those cheapo Asmedia controllers just awful or something?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The controller matters for software compatibility as well as general quality of the controller itself. For example, a lot of SATA multiplexers are known to be really flakey and perform poorly in RAID scenarios of any kind. With a basic LSI controller (preferably one that supports drives over 2 TB - watch out!) you'll be able to use every OS with peace of mind. That's worth some $30+ premium over no-name SATA multiplexing BS that can corrupt half your array out of sheer derpitude.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on this?

necrobobsledder is correct: a big concern of "generic" HBA controllers is incompatibility with non-Windows OSes; ZFS might in theory work fine, but if whatever build of FreeBSD or *nix you're using doesn't happen to have drivers for it, you're SOL. And then there's the build quality issue; if you're going to trust this device to store all your precious junk, getting a quality controller that you can trust to not freak out and spew garbage into your drives.

Basically it's worth the extra few bucks to get something quality here. Much like PSUs, you can cheap out, but the risk is almost never worth the savings. Just get something built on a LSI chipset. They're cheap enough.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
If a big honking enterprise class SAN can experience disruptive data corruption on a shelf of drives because of a bad controller, you can lose your whole array's worth of data at home because of it.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Is this only immediately relevant to smaller builds with fewer motherboard SATA ports? I am just using onboard ports and ZFS striping.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Most people's onboard SATA ports are Intel ICH controllers and will be fine for most home server needs. Depending upon how many PCI-e lanes are allocated for the SATA controllers you may want something else for a 1000 MBps throughput, 500k+ sequential IOPS build. If you're trying to do some boot-from-LAN type of scenarios that's nearly unheard of in home scenarios then it may make some sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Greatest Living Man posted:

Is this only immediately relevant to smaller builds with fewer motherboard SATA ports? I am just using onboard ports and ZFS striping.

Onboard (more specifically, on-chipset) controllers are generally well supported. Intel/AMD and the open source community all have a very big interest in making sure that Linux / FreeBSD / other OS here are rock-solid stable on the most common SATA controllers. This same mindset seems to extend to server-grade SATA controllers. The older LSI controllers are a particular favorite because they're everywhere in the server world, and are far from bleeding edge. They're well supported in pretty much every OS and they can be had cheaply because pretty much every server manufacturer has used them at some point.

The problem occurs when you get to cheap-rear end SATA controllers, from manufacturers who only care about Windows compatibility. They don't put any effort into supporting non-Windows systems, and unless the community gets lucky and makes a stable driver on its own, the general mindset will be "buy hardware that's already supported".