Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

grilldos posted:

Monopoly owns as a sort of display piece lacquered with Your Favorite Brand. In a world where people proudly display Secret Hitler's obtuse wooden box and have to explain to guests what the gently caress it means, you too can explain to family members at Thanksgiving that Rick & Morty is a totally cool post-modern cartoon and combining it with Monopoly's storied heritage is a choice and dope one-two combo.

Yes, the fact that Monopoly was invented to teach people about the evils of unregulated capitalism does in fact make it super ironic, and the biggest sell out game ever.

Like, that's why it is such a lovely game. It was designed that way so that people could understand how the real estate market fucks people over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I forgot this is the Rick & Morty thread where we have to over-explain intricate humor and post the same YouTube clip over and over: Monopoly sucks and so do the people who buy branded Monopoly and proudly display their niche board games.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

grilldos posted:

I forgot this is the Rick & Morty thread where we have to over-explain intricate humor and post the same YouTube clip over and over: Monopoly sucks and so do the people who buy branded Monopoly and proudly display their niche board games.

Ok, see, what you wrote before didn't come across as humour.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
poo poo I should have added a wubba lubba dub dub.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

grilldos posted:

poo poo I should have added a wubba lubba dub dub.

Something like that, sure!

Also, I'm a fellow owner of a wooden box Secret Hitler (honestly, I wasn't expecting some sort of classy wooden display box like that), and have no clue what to do with that box now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

What a pile of trash. They should have made a Rick and Morty Dominion, or maybe Love Letter. Who even plays Monopoly any more?

Rick & Morty Smallworld would be amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Heh, Teenyworld.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

Something like Arkham Horror would be a good fit I think.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i want the metal plumbus.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Put me down for three copies. I have a three bedroom house.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Rick and Morty codenames, all the cards are catchphrases of Rick

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I rewatched the timeline-split episode (s02e01) with my brother last night, seeing Rick getting paranoid about some other timeline version of him plotting to kill him and then he starting to plot killing the other Rick first made me think that it would make a great concept for a Mafia game. Same with the Citadel of Ricks episode.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

starkebn posted:

holy poo poo can they just stop making versions of that terrible game already

Rexides posted:

Too bad there is nothing to replace bad game mechanics.

This.

Rutibex posted:

Yes, the fact that Monopoly was invented to teach people about the evils of unregulated capitalism does in fact make it super ironic, and the biggest sell out game ever.

Like, that's why it is such a lovely game. It was designed that way so that people could understand how the real estate market fucks people over.

This particular R&M one is just as off-putting as the version for Steven Universe, which is a show about adventure, love and tolerance.
"Let's buy Beach City Boardwalk and bankrupt the twelve year-old magical boy and his space moms!"
Yeesh.

[edit] Not to mention that neither shows' characters use money for any real reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Monopoly is great as long as you play it right: an exercise in social engineering as you slowly grind your friends down from cheerful light competition into a spiteful, meaningless endurance contest, set against the soul-numbing grind of an endless robber baron capitalism simulacrum. It's actually a perfect Rick & Morty game!

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 10, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Rick would play it to prove a point to Morty/humiliate Jerry and never play it again.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You're now imagining Jerry smugly bragging about how good he is at board games while in the background Rick's eyes narrow.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If you're Monopoly game doesn't feature accusations of cheating and and a screaming match, you're playing it wrong

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Everyone's just a bit too eager to be the banker when you play monopoly. Nobody would ever play the version with the electronic banker.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Skellybones posted:

You're now imagining Jerry smugly bragging about how good he is at board games while in the background Rick's eyes narrow.

Why yes, yes I am.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skellybones posted:

"No JERRY, you do not get money from Free Parking. That's not in the rules, which you clearly can't comprehend"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Skellybones posted:

Meanwhile Jerry's supposed prowess in board games refers to ones you can't possibly gently caress up, like Snakes & Ladders or Candy Land.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

sticklefifer posted:

Meanwhile Jerry's supposed prowess in board games refers to ones you can't possibly gently caress up, like Snakes & Ladders or Candy Land.

Jerry probably thinks he's a master at "The Game of Life"

*also reference Malcolm in the Middle here

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I have a friend I recommended Rick and Morty to. Now he thinks I'm super cool. But now that I'm cool, what other shows do I recommend him to stay so cool?

Venture Bros?
Frisky Dingo?

I played my hand too soon. Help me SA forums, or he'll know I'm a joke.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Venture Bros is the way to go I think. However, since it started 12 (!) years ago, it may be rough getting into the animation of the first season. It's not nearly as polished a show back then as Rick and Morty is now. But the quality level is amazing through and through.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the animation of V Bros. s01

the pilot episode is a bit rough, but no worse than excusing Rick & Morty's pilot for different reasons

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

captain innocuous posted:

I have a friend I recommended Rick and Morty to. Now he thinks I'm super cool. But now that I'm cool, what other shows do I recommend him to stay so cool?

Venture Bros?
Frisky Dingo?

Wonder Showzen

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rick and Morty is sort of it's own beast, but Venture Bros and Futurama both capture the animated genre parody vibe pretty well. Archer and Metalocalypse fit if you like funny-bleak settings full of self-destructive assholes, constant shouting, and pointless violence. Moral Orel is also amazing and had a similar subverted sitcom/dark high concept fuckery dynamic with a surprising amount of pathos as it went on.

I'm iffy on Frisky Dingo though because it's pretty ugly to look at, isn't particularly coherent, has a fairly off-putting sort of humor, and falls apart in its second season. Archer has the same Adam Reed shouting-based humor, but with a better cast, tighter writings, and higher production values, so I'd probably start there and only bring up FD if they liked that one.

McSpanky posted:

Monopoly is great as long as you play it right: an exercise in social engineering as you slowly grind your friends down from cheerful light competition into a spiteful, meaningless endurance contest, set against the soul-numbing grind of an endless robber baron capitalism simulacrum. It's actually a perfect Rick & Morty game!

Monopoly has the amazing distinction of being a game that everyone has played, but no one knows how to play. If you don't spend more time arguing over what the rules are than actually playing, you're doing it wrong. Even then, the only real way to win is buy everything and get lucky, then find out which of your friends is poor, confused, or desperate, and rob them blind.

In a way, the branding does sort of fit because the only way to enjoy the game is to be a don't give a gently caress Rick rather than a whiny tryhard Morty.

Even then, it's usually more fun to say gently caress monopoly and go get drunk (the real Rick move).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Duckbag posted:

Even then, it's usually more fun to say gently caress monopoly and go get drunk (the real Rick move).

Insta-win strategy: Raid the bank, flip the board and hit up BLIPS N CHIIIITZ

*plays Roy, ends up in seemingly endless monopoly game*

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Venture Bros?
Frisky Dingo?

Archer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Venture Bros is probably the best bet for similar humor style.

Although you can easily jump right into Archer, it's fun to give people context for it first by showing them the old 70/30 shows like Sealab (until Captain Murphy leaves) and Frisky Dingo/Xtacles. Also while you're on Sealab, it's a good time to introduce him to the finer points of the classic Adult Swim lineup with Space Ghost/ATHF/Sealab/Harvey Birdman.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KjAZoa-Ow&hd=1

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Venture Bros?
Frisky Dingo?

What did he like about Rick and Morty?

Sci-Fi rigmarole? Futurama (Though he has probably watched it already)
Trope subversion? Venture Bros (For me it peaked in the third season, and was completely unwatchable by the sixth, but your mileage may vary)
Protagonist looks super confident but actually hates himself? Bojack Horseman
People being mean to Jerry, even when he doesn't deserve it: Archer

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

People being mean to Jerry, even when he doesn't deserve it: Archer

Jerry always deserves it. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rexides posted:

What did he like about Rick and Morty?

Sci-Fi rigmarole?
Trope subversion?
Protagonist looks super confident but actually hates himself?
People being mean to Jerry, even when he doesn't deserve it

If you swapped out Sci-fi rigamarole for fantasy rigamarole then the Australian live action series The Wizards of Aus would also fit the bill. It also has casual murder, body horror, bleak nihilism and an interdimensional refugee of a bizarre war trying to adjust to life in modern day suburbia. :thumbsup:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

prefect posted:

Jerry always deserves it. :colbert:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Wonder Showzen

Kids on the Street!
Kids on the Beat!
Beat Kidz!
Beat Kidz!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gamble gamble gamble die

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Venture Bros?
Frisky Dingo?

Westworld
Mr Robot
Silicon Valley
Homeland Season 1 only!
True Detective Season 1 only!
Fargo (TV series both seasons. Start with Season 2 if you like rick and morty)
Halt and Catch Fire

Mr Robot, Silicon Valley and Rick and Morty are my trifecta at work.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Actually, Mr. Robot is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Danger 5.

• Locked thread