Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Taco is the sunlight of my soul

Kiwi had to be coaxed out of her cage while I was getting ready for movers and bit me hard enough to draw blood. She must think I'm getting rid of her with how I set up the travel cages and her own cage isn't here at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Taco day is my favorite day, he really brightens my week :sun:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

He looks like a rl anime with those big black eyes. So kawaii

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Woke up this morning and Ellie was at the bottom of the cage being super lethargic and practically limping. Vet is taking a look at her now. :smith:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

nice

Shirec posted:

Kiwi had to be coaxed out of her cage while I was getting ready for movers and bit me hard enough to draw blood

thats how you know they're healthy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Woke up this morning and Ellie was at the bottom of the cage being super lethargic and practically limping. Vet is taking a look at her now. :smith:

Hang in there little Ellie :ohdear:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

borbs

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Get better soon little ladytiel! Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The vet didn't find anything in the stool sample but she said that either her kidney or ovary is inflamed. No evidence of egg binding though. They're waiting for blood work and are gonna keep her overnight. They also tube-fed her and started antibiotics. That being said the vet said she didn't look super bad so I guess we'll see.

I feel bad for Archer though. The poor dude is freaking out over Ellie not being around.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Get better quickly Ellie :( :h:

When I'm putting groceries away with Ama on my shoulder he sometimes gets really excited by all the strange boxes and jars and starts doing the territorial conure posturing at them, which is a little alarming when it's right next to your face. But he is a Good Bird so if I say "don't be scary!" he immediately calms down and rubs his cheek on mine. I'm not scary I'm just a cute cuddly conure :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Princess Fuckface gets really concerned about when we're splashing around in the sink (such as doing dishes) and suddenly my field of vision is photobombed with a very puffed up conure posturing at me/the water. She hasn't gone for the eyes yet...

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I think someone's super itchy today. He bit me every time I tried to take him out of his cage for breakfast, had a scream, a pout, and an angry bath, and then came out fine. I hope Ellie is okay! :(

e: I tried to file his nails down a tiny bit by hand since they seem so long but they aren't translucent so I didn't want to clip and his itty bitty talons are nearly impossible for me to hold with my nails (plus my husband is... not useful when it comes to actually holding the bird still in a towel or even toweling the bird in the first place). Avian vets do it right?
e2: poops are watery today but not a weird colour. His breakfast wasn't particularly moist but maybe he drank a lot of water while bathing? Should I be worried?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 11, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Avian vets will do nails, yes, and the watery poop is probably the bathing thing. Ama's get like that too.

Look at Mochi's big excited eyes :kimchi:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Received my order of food from Northern Parrots today. (I'm still rather annoyed at the fact apparently there isn't a single Danish store selling Zupreem.)

I tried ordering a couple new products too. One was a thing called Caitec "Oven Fresh Bites", a baked chop of various grains, vegetables and fruits. They claim it's a complete diet, and it also smells good, and even tastes not-entirely-bland to my human taste buds. And both :derptiel:s seem to love it.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 11, 2016

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Dude take that to TCC this is not a place for those smuggler pigeons.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No Officer, I swear it's just oats and carrots.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Still waiting to her more from vet but poor Archer is running around the cage doing his scared contact call. The only :unsmith: thing is Charlie keeps saying "It's okay" and "I'm sorry" to him

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Still waiting to her more from vet but poor Archer is running around the cage doing his scared contact call. The only :unsmith: thing is Charlie keeps saying "It's okay" and "I'm sorry" to him

I think I also need to go to the vet, because that is so impossibly cute it's killing me

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
She's dead and it's my loving fault. She was looking a little off all weekend and I postponed my appointment because she looked better on Sunday. I'm sorry Archer. I'm sorry Ellie. :smith:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

She's dead and it's my loving fault. She was looking a little off all weekend and I postponed my appointment because she looked better on Sunday. I'm sorry Archer. I'm sorry Ellie. :smith:

poo poo. I'm so sorry. It's so hard to tell with birds because even if they look a little off, it could just be they're having a bad molt or being in a bad mood or a little chilly. I've been lowkey freaking out for the last couple weeks because it's molting season and what if my bird's skin infection came back and all her feathers are falling out again???!!! Now I'm extra paranoid.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm so sorry for your loss :( We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers! (((Hugs)))

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The vet said it looked like a massive kidney problem. She was shocked because she said Ellie looked sick but nowhere near terminal. I'm just kicking myself for being cheap and postponing that appointment. She was a little more sedate than usual but it got a little chilly here so I thought it might just be that since she was eating fine. Archer looks so drat lost. I still have Anaïs but I don't know if Archer will be nicer to her now that his mate is gone.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oh jeeze, I'm sorry Slaughterhouse-Ive, I know you've been a great bird parent and Ellie was a very happy bird. :sympathy:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm so sorry for your loss Ive.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so so sorry Ive. Don't blame yourself. You are fantastic with your birds and you give them all wonderful lives.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it was kidney then there is very little they could have done, absolutely not your fault. Sending big hugs across the seas your way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's not your fault. When birds get well or get sick, they do it damned fast and it is very, very hard to tell whether to stress them out by bringing them in. I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

Totally unrelated note:

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a stand like this:

http://imgur.com/a/q3PnZ

Specifically, the little plastic piece at the bottom of the "boing" is something we haven't been able to find. He tears the tiny mirrors out of his toys and we'll definitely lose them if there isn't something there to catch them. I know this because he likes to play "catch" with my ring, in which he mostly tosses it into my hand but sometimes, for fun, acts like he is going to and flings it under the couch, causing us to search for hours.

Yoshi is a super clingy bird who wants attention all the time, so we might need one more of them.

Other Yoshi stories: now that the ceiling fans are off, we let him grow in his wings, and holy poo poo, for a bird who was clipped for the first eight months of his life, he is a strong flier. There's an extent to which it's more convenient than our last bird, who would try to follow us and land on the floor with a "How did I get here?" expression all the time, but it also means we have to bird-proof everything and lock him any time we're doing something dangerous.

He is also a damned strong talker. His favorites are yelling "Beep! Beep! Beep!" whenever he gets angry, saying "Gimme a kiss!", "I'm a birrrrrrd!" "Yoshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!" or "I'm a dinosaur! :D" at random intervals, but also says "How ya doin, buddy?" "Whose a good Bird?" whenever he gets curled up on one leg.

Still really hard to convince him to let us give 'im scritches, though. :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sorry for your loss Ive, as everyone has said, and I can't reiterate enough, you're a great bird parent and it's no fault of yours.

To lighten you up a bit hopefully, have a video of a bird that hates towels realizing that he actually loves towels, only after attacking a towel but accidentally becoming enveloped in said towel while saying hi baby a lot because apparently that's what angry birds say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXnmXAxbwzY

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

To lighten you up a bit hopefully, have a video of a bird that hates towels realizing that he actually loves towels, only after attacking a towel but accidentally becoming enveloped in said towel while saying hi baby a lot because apparently that's what angry birds say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXnmXAxbwzY

That explains so much....Cricket took a shower with me, and afterwards when I had wrapped her in one of her towels to dry her off she squeaked out "Hey Baby" for the first time as I let her free from her birdito.

She must have been pissed since she then repeated it about 6 times while she sat there shaking herself and giving me the black beady baby birdie eyes of doom.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

learnincurve posted:

If it was kidney then there is very little they could have done, absolutely not your fault. Sending big hugs across the seas your way.

This is true. Sorry for your loss, Ive

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sorry Ive. When birds go downhill, they go downhill fast, even to the most trained eye. You were and are a good birdperson, it's just cockatiels are hardy, happy-go-lucky little birds until suddenly they aren't and that can happen too fast sometimes.

:sympathy:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the kind words all. I was beating myself for canceling that Sunday appointment but before I even mentioned it to the vet she told me she was shocked how fast it happened and said what you guys said that if it was a kidney problem it wouldn't have made a difference.

I just feel awful for Archer. He knew her almost all of his life and he looks so lost. I still have Anais and the vet suggested they might be able to get along now but long term I don't know what to do.

I had plans to go away from Wednesday to Sunday for a friend's wedding. I'm keeping them because even if Archer is in a bad state I think I need some time away to calm down. I still have Archer and Charlie and Anaïs and things will be okay in the end. Even if I'll always miss the little cinnamon goofball that loved to try to eat my glasses. :yaycloud:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Thanks for the kind words all. I was beating myself for canceling that Sunday appointment but before I even mentioned it to the vet she told me she was shocked how fast it happened and said what you guys said that if it was a kidney problem it wouldn't have made a difference.

I just feel awful for Archer. He knew her almost all of his life and he looks so lost. I still have Anais and the vet suggested they might be able to get along now but long term I don't know what to do.

I had plans to go away from Wednesday to Sunday for a friend's wedding. I'm keeping them because even if Archer is in a bad state I think I need some time away to calm down. I still have Archer and Charlie and Anaïs and things will be okay in the end. Even if I'll always miss the little cinnamon goofball that loved to try to eat my glasses. :yaycloud:

As someone who only recently started following the thread, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope your vacation helps you feel a little better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You don't have to feel guilty about keeping your plans. Loss is just hard, and it's hard enough that you need your support group, the people who understand you.

It's okay to feel sad, angry, guilty, or anything else about losing a pet, but hopefully there are people on this forum and in your life who can convince you that it wasn't your fault, and you gave the little birb a wonderful home. :unsmith:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Please enjoy this photo of nene geese loving on Haleakala

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?

all rear end no class posted:

As someone who just spent 2 days stalking the nene from cabin to cabin, I approve of this picture. They can also hear a sandwich being unwrapped from at least a mile away.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

all rear end no class posted:

wheres the gooses dick?

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is it a bad idea to make my own bird cage? For context: I have a clean, unused "guinea pig" (huge but not enough floor space for a guinea pig imo) cage laying around and was thinking of wrapping it with a steel wire mesh that's too small for birds to stick their heads out of. Blunting all the sharp bits and all that.

My motivation is that I want a bird, but I'm discouraged by the limited floor and depth of space and flimsy design of cages at the pet store.

E: (For the record, I'm pretty rural and :banjo:)

Tofu Terry fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 12, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tofu Terry posted:

Is it a bad idea to make my own bird cage? For context: I have a clean, unused "guinea pig" (huge but not enough floor space for a guinea pig imo) cage laying around and was thinking of wrapping it with a steel wire mesh that's too small for birds to stick their heads out of. Blunting all the sharp bits and all that.

My motivation is that I want a bird, but I'm discouraged by the limited floor and depth of space and flimsy design of cages at the pet store.

E: (For the record, I'm pretty rural and :banjo:)

As long as the cage has sufficient space, ways to offer food, water, perches and toys, and can be cleanedt, sure make your own thing.
Of course make sure the materials and construction are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Here's the cage & wire mesh for reference, I think the materials are safe (galvanized steel mesh, but tbh I'm not sure of the construction of the original cage, I'm trying to find that now).

I can definitely put food & water dishes and perches in it, I was planning on making a few of those myself too using this tutorial.