Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sisters of Battle are cool, and part of it is the boob armor. Warhammer 40,000 is such a male dominated game, to have an army that unambiguously, unapologetically feminine is great. The boob armor lets you tell that this tiny inch tall little dude is a woman, and the giant flamer lets you know they're a bad rear end. They are women who set poo poo on fire for their god. Making Sisters more androgynous would gently caress up the whole concept of the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sisters of Battle are cool, and part of it is the boob armor. Warhammer 40,000 is such a male dominated game, to have an army that unambiguously, unapologetically feminine is great. The boob armor lets you tell that this tiny inch tall little dude is a woman, and the giant flamer lets you know they're a bad rear end. They are women who set poo poo on fire for their god. Making Sisters more androgynous would gently caress up the whole concept of the army.

This is a topic that has been beaten to death, but in the year 2016 it makes way more sense for women to be well represented across the game and factions rather than relegated to a single faction. As it turns out, not all women consider heels and giant breasts to be feminine.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

"Not as bad as when they first released AoS." seems like damning with faint praise to me.

Pretty much. I'm just saying that you have to admit they are at least showing an effort to turn the sinking ship around.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Winter Guard Khador army

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Guy Goodbody posted:

Can i interested you in some distinctly female objects of wonder, good sir?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

TKIY posted:

I think it's fair to say between FAQs, proper teasers, fan favourites returning, community engagement and the like that GW is currently trending upwards.

None of these are actually solving the critical core issue that 40K and especially AoS are horrifying trainwrecks of imbalance, cost escalations and antifun. Tweaking around the peripheries is meaningless until they produce a rule system people may actually want to play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kirby is an executive on the board of Games Workshop. He is also being paid for consulting work: in the most recent annual report, we saw that GW got some flak from certain major shareholders about Kirby receiving ad-hoc pay for consulting, so he's now receiving a salary instead, which is apparently more normal.

In the UK, anyway. I initially expressed surprise at this arrangement, but it's evidently not unusual in the UK to have paid members of the board.

Age of Sigmar had to have been planned for at least a year in advance; it can't be hung on Rountree's neck. He's the CEO now, and has had control for long enough that by now everything that is coming out is his responsibility, but when he took over it would have been far too late to cancel AoS without incurring major sunk costs... and the End Times had already happened, so the company would have had to shift very quickly to some other plan for their fantasy line.

I don't know who started the rebranding of stores to Warhammer, but Rountree does seem to be continuing with that.

I think Kirby's preamble to the annual report, his paid position as a "consultant," and his position on the board all suggest that Rountree does not have free reign to do his job. What we know of Kirby suggests that he's a serious egotist who I think is unable to let go of the reigns and let Rountree make major changes. But I'm just guessing. Perhaps it's Rountree pushing to resurrect stuff like Epic and Bloodbowl, get some cheaper intro box sets out, maybe a refresh for Sisters? We just don't know, really, whether this is Rountree making his mark and trying different things in spite of resistance from Kirby, or Kirby's ideas filtered through a puppet CEO, or what. I really wish I had more insight into what's going on in those boardroom meetings.

And before we start down the path of "GW is getting better" let's not forget they pulled out of their licensing arrangement with FFG. And, their new models look like crap, over-designed computer-modeled soulless minis that look like they were designed by a committee.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 11, 2016

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

Avenging Dentist posted:

All models that could really use an update instead of a lovely upgrade sprue. (Not to suggest that the constant reuse of models for other factions is good artistic design.)

They all did get updated in the last few years. The Chimera has been given all of its weapon options, the Leman Russ builds all 4 options (and the Demolisher builds the other 3) and again has all the sponson and hull options (making the FW variants obsolete), and the Sentinel kit consolidated the previous kits into one - with all weapon options in the kit. They are all simplified builds, too - compared to their old versions at least. The Leman Russ comes with the Genestealer Cult sprue for an extra £1, which normally would be considered good value, but its already £31.50 for the Russ, and the previously included Vehicle Upgrade sprue is now sold separately for £9. That sprue is still decades old. Classic GW.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

What if we take a Space Marine chapter and give it boob armor for improved protection?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TKIY posted:

I think it's fair to say between FAQs, proper teasers, fan favourites returning, community engagement and the like that GW is currently trending upwards.

I'm not saying that GW is good right now, but they are objective *less bad* than they were a year ago. I would say that things like Genestealer Cults and the potential of plastic Sisters may in fact be worth giving GW money :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doresh posted:

What if we take a Space Marine chapter and give it boob armor for improved protection?

I'm down but only if you also give them improved codpiece protection too.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Leperflesh posted:

And before we start down the path of "GW is getting better" let's not forget they pulled out of their licensing arrangement with FFG.
That frees FFG up to redirect writers and other resources towards games based on other IPs, though, which can only be a good thing.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Business Gorillas posted:

Oh I see. I haven't been following aos too much lately. I'm playing good games and I stopped going to the aos store I was going to because during a game they started yelling about jewing each other on stuff
Amusing anecdote time! I remember my Jewish mother-in-law once mentioning how she felt she had been "gypped" in some petty transaction or other. I calmly told her that if she wanted to avoid that, she should have "jewed" the price down first. To her credit, her split-second of righteous indignation turned to utter embarrassment when she realized where the term "gypped" came from and how she had used it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Scowny posted:

They all did get updated in the last few years. The Chimera has been given all of its weapon options, the Leman Russ builds all 4 options (and the Demolisher builds the other 3) and again has all the sponson and hull options (making the FW variants obsolete), and the Sentinel kit consolidated the previous kits into one - with all weapon options in the kit.

No, I mean a complete redo (on the level of when they updated the Rhino and Land Raider way back when). The models look like poo poo and they need to go back to the drawing board on them. Just recutting the sprues isn't nearly enough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Four Score posted:

Adding to that, the adorable bird from Pierzak's av and a whole post that's just quotes from Leperflesh

this but Broken Loose

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Ilor posted:

Amusing anecdote time! I remember my Jewish mother-in-law once mentioning how she felt she had been "gypped" in some petty transaction or other. I calmly told her that if she wanted to avoid that, she should have "jewed" the price down first. To her credit, her split-second of righteous indignation turned to utter embarrassment when she realized where the term "gypped" came from and how she had used it.

All I'm saying is I've met 2 AoS players and they didn't like Jews so I can safely assume that all AoS players are antisemites

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm down but only if you also give them improved codpiece protection too.

Nothing will hurt them from the front.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, I mean a complete redo (on the level of when they updated the Rhino and Land Raider way back when). The models look like poo poo and they need to go back to the drawing board on them. Just recutting the sprues isn't nearly enough.

So much they can do to keep the 40k aesthetic, while not looking like complete poo poo.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hate when people mention that the only way to make miniatures look feminine is to slap huge tits on them.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LordAba posted:

I hate when people mention that the only way to make miniatures look feminine is to slap huge tits on them.

Hypothetical female Space Marines just look like normal Space Marines. With ribbons instead of prayer seals.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 11, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
You virgins just don't get the tactical value of cleavage.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I don't really have a problem with the regular Sisters. Yeah, they have boob armor, but it's not really any different from the muscle armor the Blood Angels have. The Sisters Penitent though...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't really have a problem with the regular Sisters. Yeah, they have boob armor, but it's not really any different from the muscle armor the Blood Angels have. The Sisters Penitent though...

Do you mean the Penitent Engine? Because the Sisters Repentia are awesome

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll admit that the actual Repentia models aren't spectacular, but you gotta admit that the idea of Sisters doing some kind of self-imposed witch trial, running out into battle armored only in pages from the bible to see if God will forgive them their imagined sins, is pretty awesome.

Hopefully the new Sisters release will have Repentia models that do it justice

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yes, the idea is good. The models are awful.

Remember, this is what they actually look like:

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I saw a boob once.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yes, the idea is good. The models are awful.

Remember, this is what they actually look like:

You forgot the whip-wielding dominatrix.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

You forgot the whip-wielding dominatrix.

At least she's wearing pants.

Although thinking about it more, she's the worst part since it'd be cooler if the Repentia just did their thing of their own volition rather than effectively being slaves. Maybe have the squad leader be a Sister reading from a holy book if you want someone like her?

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 12, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Ya'll a bunch of born again christians or something? What you got against seeing some sweet tittays?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Sir Teabag posted:

I saw a boob once.

bullshit

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fnordcircle posted:

Ya'll a bunch of born again christians or something? What you got against seeing some sweet tittays?

Ugly, disproportionate wargaming figurines aren't even in the top 10 places to find hot boobs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When boom3 was banned he left a vacuum

In his place rose the urge to give GW money

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Business Gorillas posted:

All I'm saying is I've met 2 AoS players and they didn't like Jews so I can safely assume that all AoS players are antisemites

Sure but that's just because you've now personally met 2/3rds of all AoS players.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So with all this talk of sisters, has it actually been confirmed somewhere that it is happening? Because I watched that video, and the comment at the end of it about the plastic sisters seemed more like a joke than a "this is something we are really working on for the future". Especially with GW's track record of thinking that announcing future products is a really bad idea, and the best way to build marketing hype is to announce something the week or two before it's on sale.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A Real Horse posted:

So with all this talk of sisters, has it actually been confirmed somewhere that it is happening? Because I watched that video, and the comment at the end of it about the plastic sisters seemed more like a joke than a "this is something we are really working on for the future". Especially with GW's track record of thinking that announcing future products is a really bad idea, and the best way to build marketing hype is to announce something the week or two before it's on sale.

If plastic sisters was a joke that would own

Because the joke would be at the expense of the people who want to give GW money

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xarbala posted:

If plastic sisters was a joke that would own

Because the joke would be at the expense of the people who want to give GW money

They'd save up their money for more GW products so whether that's sisters or they spend it on something else from GW, doesn't matter. It's like loot crate - it doesn't honestly matter what comes inside the box!

Actually, GW should have a loot crate style box including the latest magazine since their customers seem to be the target audience for it anyway.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Daedleh posted:

So much they can do to keep the 40k aesthetic, while not looking like complete poo poo.

Yeah these are pretty good. It's a dumb design but it's a dumb design I could see someone building and then getting carbon-copied for a thousand years because everyone forgot how transmissions work. The dual fore autocannons remind me of the dumb double-MG mounts on early stuarts and lees and the turret looks big enough to house both that cannon and the person who's meant to be firing it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

fnordcircle posted:

Well, I think you'll find that it is in fact the more progressive-minded among us who are offended by the objectification of women and fetishization of their body parts in male-dominated spheres.

Born-again Christians objectify and fetishize women all the time, it's why they want their women to be at home and covered up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

spectralent posted:

Yeah these are pretty good. It's a dumb design but it's a dumb design I could see someone building and then getting carbon-copied for a thousand years because everyone forgot how transmissions work. The dual fore autocannons remind me of the dumb double-MG mounts on early stuarts and lees and the turret looks big enough to house both that cannon and the person who's meant to be firing it.

I checked and they're OOP and now I'm sad :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That video where they go through the trash and find the Daemon Primarch is... like... almost community engagement and marketing, and actually embracing/confirming the rumor instead of freaking the gently caress out is uncharacteristic. It's sort of progress.... and then there's the whole FFG thing and it's basically like five steps back, one tiny step forward. I do think GW is slooooooowly learning in some areas, but they're just so far up poo poo creek it's too little, too late, and then in other areas they're just as idiotic as ever.

• Locked thread