Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

leftist heap posted:

just another thing to be smug about. Vancouver is the only place creating jobs now :smugmrgw:

I guess no one told Toronto about supply side economics. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You don't feel bad for them at all? I mean, oil is not a progressive thing to work in but these people had families and are suffering because of an economic downturn. Even if it's a volatile industry and some of them saved a lot, they still lost their jobs. And probably a lot of the lifestyle that came with that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ccs posted:

You don't feel bad for them at all? I mean, oil is not a progressive thing to work in but these people had families and are suffering because of an economic downturn. Even if it's a volatile industry and some of them saved a lot, they still lost their jobs. And probably a lot of the lifestyle that came with that.

You should watch the 100% accurate and true documentary titled "Fubar 2".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah but a lot of the people quoted in that article are engineers and technicians, not just uneducated guys who flocked to an industry because the money was good. I mean, the engineers ALSO flocked there because the money was good, but they went through a lot of training and preparation. It sucks that some are now working retail.

Ah well, I guess it's just a classist thing. Guess the petroleum engineers should've gone into software or something.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ccs posted:

The vast majority were blowing every penny on luxury trucks and platinum nuts, expensive toys, massive mcmansions in the middle of nowhere, alcohol, drugs, and an extremely unhealthy diet. They didnt want to pay taxes because it might help out less fortunate people.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

lmao you haven't read many CI posts have you

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Furnaceface posted:

The vast majority were blowing every penny on luxury trucks and platinum nuts, expensive toys, massive mcmansions in the middle of nowhere, alcohol, drugs, and an extremely unhealthy diet. They didnt want to pay taxes because it might help out less fortunate people.

that sounds like a massive generalization

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

debtbubblethread.txt

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ccs posted:

Yeah but a lot of the people quoted in that article are engineers and technicians, not just uneducated guys who flocked to an industry because the money was good. I mean, the engineers ALSO flocked there because the money was good, but they went through a lot of training and preparation. It sucks that some are now working retail.

Ah well, I guess it's just a classist thing. Guess the petroleum engineers should've gone into software or something.

Yeah, I don't feel a lot of empathy for the university educated people who chose to make big money working in a cyclical toxic resource's extraction, mrs. fracker there is smart enough to understand to make hay while the sun shines. Maybe they can find a job making LAVs or something. I feel worse for the uneducated people who honestly thought it'd last forever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ccs posted:

I guarantee you every single one of those engineers knew exactly how cyclical oil work is too. It's not like jobs are impossible to find in Calgary now, it's just that the super lucrative ones have largely dried up.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The new homeless people from the oil patch clogging up Vancouver are aggressive as gently caress.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously? ~oil patch~??

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ccs posted:

gently caress no why should I? I make an enormous effort to live within my means while incurring no debt with the long term goal of saving enough money to provide for my family in retirement. These motherfuckers had every. loving. Opportunity. In the last 20 years to do the same. Are you loving serious that i should :qq: because some guy making over 200k year now has to working at MEC? Growing up in the loving 90s I would have killed for a job at MEC. I graduated straight into the loving tech bust of 2000. gently caress you you and gently caress every motherfucker in Alberta cuz i got mine
Motherfucker

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If Albertans were smart they would have warmed up the atmosphere enough for Edmonton to be habitable, and then sold it to the chinese.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

The new homeless people from the oil patch clogging up Vancouver are aggressive as gently caress.

Glad to know people recognized where the influx of homeless people are coming from.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

gently caress no why should I? I make an enormous effort to live within my means while incurring no debt with the long term goal of saving enough money to provide for my family in retirement. These motherfuckers had every. loving. Opportunity. In the last 20 years to do the same. Are you loving serious that i should :qq: because some guy making over 200k year now has to working at MEC? Growing up in the loving 90s I would have killed for a job at MEC. I graduated straight into the loving tech bust of 2000. gently caress you you and gently caress every motherfucker in Alberta cuz i got mine
Motherfucker

It's hard to feel bad for people who go and blow all their new money on new stuff. When I got a new job that paid twice as much as I made before, I just bought a new Macbook Air and then got rid of all of my loans. Now my wife and I are just saving my whole salary into savings because there is no reason for us to spend it.

This logic goes over the heads of people who strike it rich in the ~*~oil patch~*~.

quaint bucket posted:

Glad to know people recognized where the influx of homeless people are coming from.

If you're homeless in Vancouver and are from the city, you're not super aggressive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vancouver had the nicest homeless people, now all these mean outsider homeless people are coming in and making me uncomfortable around homeless people :argh:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Powershift posted:

Vancouver had the nicest homeless people, now all these mean outsider homeless people are coming in and making me uncomfortable around homeless people :argh:

If you're uncomfortable around homeless people then you have issues. I never said I was but let's pretend that I am since it makes you feel better.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

For what it's worth I used to work with downtown Vancouver homeless and almost all of them were from the east. Lots from Quebec for some reason. Maybe homeless Vancouverites go to Victoria when hoot suite lays them off?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
How's that crazy mall doing in Tsawwassen? My sister lives in Ladner and told me there's only one entrance and people were stuck in the parking lot trying to leave for four hours last week. It sounds insane.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ephori posted:

How's that crazy mall doing in Tsawwassen? My sister lives in Ladner and told me there's only one entrance and people were stuck in the parking lot trying to leave for four hours last week. It sounds insane.

I understand it also blocks up the highway going to the ferries due to the terribly planned parking lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I heard it's basically impossible to get from victoria to Vancouver and back as a day trip thanks to the mall. Traffic gets so bad the bus misses the ferry.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

[Canadian auto loans figure]
[Canadian mortgage and speculation figure]
[Canadian consumer debt figure]
[Canadian saving rate figure]

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sounds like Bear Mountain in Victoria where they have like 4,000 houses along a single lane road meandering up the mountain that doesn't go anywhere and a set of lights at the bottom where it joins the transcanada. BC is so strange.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Sounds like Bear Mountain in Victoria where they have like 4,000 houses along a single lane road meandering up the mountain that doesn't go anywhere and a set of lights at the bottom where it joins the transcanada. BC is so strange.

That's also where they put the Costco for extra gridlock.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pro-tip: never go to landford there's absolutely no reason to ever go there. The journey and destination are both deeply unpleasant.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A friend went to Tsawwassen for thanksgiving and said it took an extra 20 minutes due to mall traffic that they were forced to endure.

It's clear why every local government and the metro region was against this project.

I do think that it will fail to attract customers in the long term so traffic should go down.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

It's the honeymoon phase. Apparently the mall wasn't that great other than the Bass Pro.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Isn't bass pro just for white trash

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

The one in Toronto is always full of brown and chinese people.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The one in Toronto is always full of brown and chinese people.

Ethnic Han are the most serious fisherman

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ephori posted:

I haven't been to the lower mainland in a while and was heading over to the island last Saturday and was amazed. I assumed it was all ferry traffic, then I got to the mall and every driving area between parking spots was filled with cars in gridlock waiting to get out. There were police trying to direct traffic. What a poo poo show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are there some super special rare stores at that new mall? I don't understand the levels of hype that have resulted in days of gridlock. Is it just the "new mall smell" or are there a bunch of store's greater vancouver has never had? Because if it's just yet another mall with the same loving chain stores as pretty much every other mall plus a lovely big box fishing store that's extremely pathetic. Bridge and Tunnel folk indeed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Where else are you going to get your $500 yeti ice cooler if not bass pro???

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Are there some super special rare stores at that new mall? I don't understand the levels of hype that have resulted in days of gridlock. Is it just the "new mall smell" or are there a bunch of store's greater vancouver has never had? Because if it's just yet another mall with the same loving chain stores as pretty much every other mall plus a lovely big box fishing store that's extremely pathetic. Bridge and Tunnel folk indeed.

It has a Cabella's for those three people west of Chiliwack who actually go hunting.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 12, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Old malls are full of farts.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

Yes, but only because "white trash" in Canada is less about ethnicity & poverty, and more of a state of mind.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
amazon is my anti mall

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ephori posted:

went to visit my folks in Tsawwassen for thanksgiving - the mall is pretty awful, which is to say: it's a mall. Traffic was insane, parking took forever, way too many people inside for just walking to be in any way enjoyable, a billion clothing stores and not much else. There is a bowling alley that looks like a low-rent disney-land inside though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

namaste faggots posted:

yes, it's enormous and full of camo pajamas and hunting rifles