Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Try Juno with Rage and TIE Mark II. She has enough movement options to make Engine Upgrade a bit superfluous. I also don't think there's any reason to take anything but Advanced Targeting Computer on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ARC-170: · Norra Wexley (29)
Push The Limit (3)
· BB-8 (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
· Kyle Katarn (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Expensive but squirrelly. Good companion for Dash maybe.

Am I reading it right? Reveal green, roll then push, do green to remove stress and gain focus, do third action. Same idea as Poe.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 11, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

ARC-170: · Norra Wexley (29)
Push The Limit (3)
· BB-8 (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
· Kyle Katarn (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Expensive but squirrelly. Good companion for Dash maybe.

Am I reading it right? Reveal green, roll then push, do green to remove stress and gain focus, do third maneuver. Same idea as Poe.

Third action, not maneuver. But yeah, it's the same concept. You get a barrel roll plus one action (boost or focus, probably) from PtL along with a stress, then your green maneuver (which will usually give you a focus from Kyle when you clear the stress), then another action. Magic.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

Third action, not maneuver. But yeah, it's the same concept. You get a barrel roll plus one action (boost or focus, probably) from PtL along with a stress, then your green maneuver (which will usually give you a focus from Kyle when you clear the stress), then another action. Magic.

I said action, clearly you edited my post to make me look incompetent! :v:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I said action, clearly you edited my post to make me look incompetent! :v:

*pats gently on head*

It's okay, I don't need to edit your post to do that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

*pats gently on head*

It's okay, I don't need to edit your post to do that.

I would demand that you not patronize me like that but... you're not wrong.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I played that exact Norra alongside Dash. She's SUPER fun and very maneuverable.

Also quite tanky.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'd be really tempted to replace BB8 with R2D2 or R5P9. You'd get one less focus the first round, but you'd get regen on top of that. R5P9 wouldn't even be terrible because you'll have two focuses (every round except the first). R2 would probably be better though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I fly Norra with R5-P9, PTL, and Kyle. TL + double focus each turn does well enough by me, since the order and method by which you spend the tokens makes it incredibly flexible. Sadly no room for Engine Upgrade, but I haven't actually had a need for it yet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
If for some crazy dumb reason I use a-wing test pilot to equip stay on target and adrenaline rush, would it work that way?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No. Adrenaline Rush specifically says "reveal", and if you're using Stay On Target you're not revealing a red maneuver, are you? :v: It also specifically says "that maneuver" so you can't finagle that into meaning any maneuver you do would be white.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd be really tempted to replace BB8 with R2D2 or R5P9. You'd get one less focus the first round, but you'd get regen on top of that. R5P9 wouldn't even be terrible because you'll have two focuses (every round except the first). R2 would probably be better though.

I was definitely thinking about it, but BB-8 increases the ARC's maneuver envelope a ton. My opponent had a lot of trouble corralling Norra because of the repositioning options.

Part of it was that Norra out PS'd his whole squad, so I had a good idea of where to not go, but losing BB-8 would have let him block me almost every turn.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
First game last night I played a goofy Marak/X7, Inqy/Shuttle with officers list. I flew terrible and died fairly quickly. I should have kept them together to take advantage of the officers. Instead I tried to angle Inqy from half the board away.

Second game though was a real nail biter. I had a new variation of my Poe/Rae list (using fin and the black one title this time!). Finn is awesome. I was fighting a tooth (party bus) and Rau and old man. I took out the two protectorates but lost Poe (I forgot I had intergrated, which actually my opponent suggested, I would have survived one more round at least). I was slightly more damaged with 4 Hull, and I think the tooth had like 6 hull. We weheeled away from each other. and came close with both of us in arc. We exchanged shots, and I hit the tooth down to 3 HP and got finished off.

I think I was forgetting to use Finn/Rae defensively a few times when I was being shot at from inside my arc, so that would have helped too, and I would have had a good chance at winning, but that was my own fault.

Zuckass basically zapping my 3CPO is really annoying (Calling zero, getting the evade, having it rerolled to a blank every time). :P Though by the end, the bus had acquired 3-4 stress.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Foolster41 posted:

First game last night I played a goofy Marak/X7, Inqy/Shuttle with officers list. I flew terrible and died fairly quickly. I should have kept them together to take advantage of the officers. Instead I tried to angle Inqy from half the board away.

Second game though was a real nail biter. I had a new variation of my Poe/Rae list (using fin and the black one title this time!). Finn is awesome. I was fighting a tooth (party bus) and Rau and old man. I took out the two protectorates but lost Poe (I forgot I had intergrated, which actually my opponent suggested, I would have survived one more round at least). I was slightly more damaged with 4 Hull, and I think the tooth had like 6 hull. We weheeled away from each other. and came close with both of us in arc. We exchanged shots, and I hit the tooth down to 3 HP and got finished off.

I think I was forgetting to use Finn/Rae defensively a few times when I was being shot at from inside my arc, so that would have helped too, and I would have had a good chance at winning, but that was my own fault.

Zuckass basically zapping my 3CPO is really annoying (Calling zero, getting the evade, having it rerolled to a blank every time). :P Though by the end, the bus had acquired 3-4 stress.

Only 4? man that zuckuss wasn't workign hard enough.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played with the following:

Quickdraw + Adaptability + Shield upgrade + FCS + Title
Vessery + X7 + Juke + TIE MkII
Omega Leader + Juke + Comm Relay + Stealth Device

Stealth Device isn't necessary tbh, 100 points altogether. It works well. Both OL and QD provide TLs for Vess. People don't want to fire at QD and he's hard to arc dodge due to two firing arcs and PS 10. Went against Teroch/fenn/manaroo mindlink and whisper/vader/dark curse and QD didn't get fired at once :v:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
What are some upgrades that come in Rebel packs that are commonly used by Imperial/Scum ? Trying to figure out what not to sell out of my rebels.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TLT is the big one. Push the limit in the case that people don't have Imperial Aces, which I can see being a thing going forward since the best aces don't come from that pack.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just wrapped up a 4-Week league at my FLGS and came in 3rd with a record of 4-4. Highlight of the league was being the sole loss for the eventual winner. He flew Corran, Tarn, and Hobbie vs my Soontir, Glaive Defender and Mauler Mithel. The league was a draft, you picked your side and drafted your pilots. Pilots that were killed were out of the league so you'd see people hanging on to some pilots to deny or trade, and of course some crazy lists.

Rankings was done by wins and MoV, I was 6pts from 2nd! Prize for me was acrylic stress tokens, top two got Corran Horn alt-art cards and the winner got the challenge coin. It was overall a blast, my best list was 2 Glaives and a Baron TAP of all things.

As a break to cool things off, I'm going to run a Heroes of Aturi Cluster campaign - just dropped off the print order at the Staples store where the old man printer guy was certainly not impressed with what he was going to use his skills for on the printer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Are there any good articles or commentary about the Hangar Bay events from the Open series of tournaments?

I've been discussing alternate tournament formats to keep things fresh, and Hangar Bay seems pretty fun!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I heard you like bombs and hate spiderman

well have i got a ship glider for you!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

Are there any good articles or commentary about the Hangar Bay events from the Open series of tournaments?

I've been discussing alternate tournament formats to keep things fresh, and Hangar Bay seems pretty fun!

I played in the hangar bay event at Hoth Open and it was a really good (and quick) format. It does require a fairly specific amount of players to work but it's one of the quickest ways to get a tournament done.

The two-list format is alright, I just liked the whole being able to play at your own pace and have a 3-round tournament that can easily be done in 3-4 hours.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I played in the hangar bay event at Hoth Open and it was a really good (and quick) format. It does require a fairly specific amount of players to work but it's one of the quickest ways to get a tournament done.

The two-list format is alright, I just liked the whole being able to play at your own pace and have a 3-round tournament that can easily be done in 3-4 hours.

I don't see why a Hangar Bay event would need any more or less players than any other tourney.

Hangar Bay at Yavin I found fun, but I just felt at the time like it was another decsion to gently caress up. I hosed up a LOT at Yavin.

I really liked the team champ format, actually. If you can get enough players, it's really goof.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't see why a Hangar Bay event would need any more or less players than any other tourney.

Hangar Bay at Yavin I found fun, but I just felt at the time like it was another decsion to gently caress up. I hosed up a LOT at Yavin.

I really liked the team champ format, actually. If you can get enough players, it's really goof.

Well, you need to be able to divide into eights to get a nice, clean sheet to fill out to do the pairings.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Well, you need to be able to divide into eights to get a nice, clean sheet to fill out to do the pairings.

Isn't that true of any tourney though? HB is the same from the perspectives of pairings?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Isn't that true of any tourney though? HB is the same from the perspectives of pairings?

The thing about a normal tourney is that you get paired off by a TO at the end of each round in a randomized way which allows for virtually any number of players due to tournament software. In HB events, you basically have a sheet, are assigned a number, and play three rounds almost like an elimination-style tourney with a bracket. Eight is a very neat number for it because it goes 3 rounds and always provides two undefeated players for a championship match as well as a top 4.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The thing about a normal tourney is that you get paired off by a TO at the end of each round in a randomized way which allows for virtually any number of players due to tournament software. In HB events, you basically have a sheet, are assigned a number, and play three rounds almost like an elimination-style tourney with a bracket. Eight is a very neat number for it because it goes 3 rounds and always provides two undefeated players for a championship match as well as a top 4.

What? Tournaments aren't randomised they're run by the Swiss format which very much likes 8 players for 3 rounds as well. Is Hanger bay not just straight Elimination? If so it works pretty much the same way as Swiss in terms of being adaptable for numbers except byes are more valuable which could be seen as unfair.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 12, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nevermind!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aramoro posted:

What? Tournaments aren't randomised they're run by the Swiss format which very much likes 8 players for 3 rounds as well. Is Hanger bay not just straight Elimination? If so it works pretty much the same way as Swiss in terms of being adaptable for numbers except byes are more valuable which could be seen as unfair.

The whole point of HB is that you don't wait for rounds to end to get into the next game. If both players feeding into a game are ready, they can play, because you don't have to wait for your pairings with a TO. It comes out very neatly with 8 players and because it's very simple to replicate a swiss pairing this way, HB works best with 8 players.

I guess the appeal of HB depends on whether you prefer the 2-list format or the quick-hit tournament format part? You can make a 2-list tournament with any number of players, of course.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

That's totally not how it worked at Yavin. It was just standard rounds, with two lists.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

That's totally not how it worked at Yavin. It was just standard rounds, with two lists.

Weird. Yeah at Hoth they separated everyone into 8-man pods with a sheet that determined the pairings for each of 3 rounds, prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the pod. It really played quickly.

They probably did it that way because they had a ton of people in the event and wanted to give out prizes more easily, but I really enjoyed how it played.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The whole point of HB is that you don't wait for rounds to end to get into the next game. If both players feeding into a game are ready, they can play, because you don't have to wait for your pairings with a TO. It comes out very neatly with 8 players and because it's very simple to replicate a swiss pairing this way, HB works best with 8 players.

I guess the appeal of HB depends on whether you prefer the 2-list format or the quick-hit tournament format part? You can make a 2-list tournament with any number of players, of course.

What I don't get is you seem to be saying HB is different from Single Elimination in some way, it seems to be exactly single elimination.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aramoro posted:

What I don't get is you seem to be saying HB is different from Single Elimination in some way, it seems to be exactly single elimination.

You still keep playing if you lose a game- you always still play 3 rounds, you just get matched up with other losers in the bracket/flowchart.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Panzeh posted:

You still keep playing if you lose a game- you always still play 3 rounds, you just get matched up with other losers in the bracket/flowchart.

So it's basically marginally faster swiss, the overall tournament will be no faster than a Swiss one but one players path might be slightly faster. You ignore MOV/SoS and it doesn't handle odd numbers of players very well at all. Sounds ideal.

Why would you ever do this?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Speaking of HB format I realized last week I totally hosed up my Worlds registration. I had accidentally registered for both days of X-wing and thought I would get into Armada so I refunded my X-wing day 1A (Fri.) in favor of keeping 1B (Sat.) but then I never did manage to get registered for Armada because of their lovely system, so now I'm stuck playing swiss on Sat. when I really want to just do the HB tournaments. fml

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Heroes of the Resistance release is October 27th, just missing World's eligibility.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Excellent. Missing worlds but available for regionals. I was hoping regionals weren't just going to copy worlds lists for a month.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

Excellent. Missing worlds but available for regionals. I was hoping regionals weren't just going to copy worlds lists for a month.

The new OP schedule for xwing is really poo poo. Regionals during the holiday season is the worst.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm currently looking around for gigantic HD images and wallpapers for Jojo art that I could use for a new x-wing playmat. I'm just glad there's plenty of 5000x5000+ images to choose from. Just gotta wait for a sale to happen.

Devlan Mud posted:

The new OP schedule for xwing is really poo poo. Regionals during the holiday season is the worst.
I'm guessing they anticipate us being hyped up for star wars between force friday and the annual holiday movies. :shrug: I did prefer the previous schedule myself but hey maybe now in NA we won't have to suffer in stores with poorly functional HVAC systems struggling during the summer.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Devlan Mud posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm guessing they anticipate us being hyped up for star wars between force friday and the annual holiday movies. :shrug: I did prefer the previous schedule myself but hey maybe now in NA we won't have to suffer in stores with poorly functional HVAC systems struggling during the summer.

It sucks for plains states because I can think of few things more awful than trying to travel multiple hours to a regional with a 50/50 chance of getting hit with some blizzard from hell. I'm nervous enough about getting stranded for Worlds. Usually the first blizzard of the year is right around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Regionals Prizes announced!

Glad to see the tradition of absolutely terrible alt-art cards can continue. I honestly can't tell if that's supposed to be a man or a woman.

• Locked thread