Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ghostlight posted:

I'd argue that the known-quantity nature of the American presidency, and to a lesser degree the British monarchy, is actually the only reason the role of "leaders" in Civ is seen as restricted to those who've wielded the top position within their nation rather than those who are recognisable as major contributors to its legacy, or mythical leaders representative of the nation's character.

The nature of history is that things are rarely so neat in the pre-classical era and I think the idea that it has to be an actual president is stupid in a game that's been more than happy to just roll multiple cultures into a ball just to have them in the game under a 'leader' who had nothing to do with most of them.

Martin Luther King Jr for American leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

No. The primary grognard meltdown was over Catherine de Medici leading France.

They claimed it was because "She's not french at all!"

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They claimed it was because "She's not french at all!"

So they gave Saladin a pass for being a Kurd?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Khagan posted:

Grogs were pissed at Catherine de Medici leading France because she's a woman. Mostly they refrained from actually overtly saying that, but it's what they meant.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Khagan posted:

Well yes and also [other leader] for not being [from whatever country]

Actually, for real some people did complain about Saladin leading Arabia but this is also a dumb complaint for other reasons

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Cleopatra reaction was the worst.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spergs know only enough that Cleopatra shouldn't lead Egypt because she's "really" Greek, and Alexander shouldn't lead Greece because he's Macedonian.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's because Europeans love Civ and they're the worst nativists in existence despite the fact that all their leaders were related and tossed countries back and forth like a tennis match.

E: I guess not the worst nativists exclusively, but the worst mix of nativism and nationialism that leads to stuff like "this guy is really X and therefore doesn't count as a leader"

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 12, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Well yes and also [other leader] for not being [from whatever country]

Actually, for real some people did complain about Saladin leading Arabia but this is also a dumb complaint for other reasons

The main reason why Saladin is the leader of Arabia is they seem to be using Arabia ad a synonym for the Golden Age of Islam writ large and Saladin is emblematic of that

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
If this is the case wouldn't Saracen be a more appropriate name for the civ. As of now the devs are feeding into the Arabia = Islam notion if that's the case.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clarste posted:

Martin Luther King Jr for American leader.

Ronald Reagan. Dislikes people who build walls. Likes people who tear down walls.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The main reason why Saladin is the leader of Arabia is they seem to be using Arabia ad a synonym for the Golden Age of Islam writ large and Saladin is emblematic of that

it wasn't me complaining

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Edith Wilson is the obvious choice for female US leader

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They could do the Statue of Liberty, though I understand why they might be reluctant after all the BS over de Medici.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Grapplejack posted:

I would honestly really like to see an Israeli civ lead by Solomon, but I don't know how well that would go over with people.

Sure, why not? You could avoid the the political issues by calling it Judea.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cythereal posted:

Eleanor Roosevelt springs to mind as a potential woman American leader.

This but Edith Wilson

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

This but Edith Wilson

You mean Hillary Clinton.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

it wasn't me complaining

Yeah well...gently caress you lets argue anyway!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gamesguy posted:

You mean Hillary Clinton.

That was my suggestion that started this.

It almost certainly isn't happening (officially; we may get some mods), I bet, but I'd love November DLC for a Hillary leader pack for America.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Video of the cleopatra reaction? I keep seeing it brought up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Video of the cleopatra reaction? I keep seeing it brought up.

it's mostly just civfanatics posts and youtube comments, but /i could link a video of a screaming baby if you'd like

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the Arabia reaction might have been the worst one, given that last I checked one of the official Arabia videos had its comments disabled. I don't think that was specifically Saladin's fault, though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This Catherine reaction was still the highlight of the week it came out for me.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/france-catherine-de-medici-thread.571494/page-17#post-14373575

quote:

Gender equality: although I personally support the notion that there should be a rough balance between both genders in Civilization’s leaders because there have been many great female leaders throughout history; don’t you think that France – one of history’s great civilizations – should be exempt from this rule?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think Cleopatra was the best choice for Egypt. She's more famous for her role in Roman history than in Egyptian history. And you've got the really incredible figure of Hatshepsut if you want a female ruler who actually represents Egypt. :colbert:

That said, Cleopatra's got good historical synergy with the whole personality system so I guess it's fine.

Anyone who has an issue with Catherine is just a sexist though, no matter what fig leaf they put up about national origin.

Roland Jones posted:

I think the Arabia reaction might have been the worst one, given that last I checked one of the official Arabia videos had its comments disabled. I don't think that was specifically Saladin's fault, though.
I'm assuming that had nothing to do with Saladin and everything to do with the fact that Arabia is a science focused civ. Certain people have something of an interest in... promoting a different narrative. (Racist fucks think Arabs are literal untermensch, and any suggestion that Arabs contributed anything to any civilization is seen as a personal affront to their deepest held Neo-Nazi beliefs.)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eiba posted:

no matter what fig leaf they put up about national origin.

People also complained that she wasn't actually ever the leader of france, which is at least somewhat relevant

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Roland Jones posted:

That was my suggestion that started this.

It almost certainly isn't happening (officially; we may get some mods), I bet, but I'd love November DLC for a Hillary leader pack for America.

They've never had anyone alive lead a Civilization, let alone a (soon-to-be) current leader.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Senerio posted:

This Catherine reaction was still the highlight of the week it came out for me.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/france-catherine-de-medici-thread.571494/page-17#post-14373575

"I like gender equality but doesn't a civilization being great exempt it from having a female leader? makes u think"

:catstare:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

I'm assuming that had nothing to do with Saladin and everything to do with the fact that Arabia is a science focused civ. Certain people have something of an interest in... promoting a different narrative. (Racist fucks think Arabs are literal untermensch, and any suggestion that Arabs contributed anything to any civilization is seen as a personal affront to their deepest held Neo-Nazi beliefs.)

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. The other Arabia video (one was international, one non, both effectively identical) had some heinous (and amazingly ignorant of history) comments in it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They've never had anyone alive lead a Civilization, let alone a (soon-to-be) current leader.

Hey, they're breaking other traditions when it comes to leaders with this game. What's one more?

(I know it's not happening but I'd love it so much. It'd be hilarious to see the reactions.)

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Putting Hillary Clinton into the game wouldn't be funny it would be groan inducing.

I'm hoping that Firaxis doesn't stretch out the DLC as much as possible. They could sell a couple leaders together as a package (like Washington & Lincoln) or sell a new civ with multiple leaders (like Persia with Xerxes and Cyrus).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought they learned their lesson about piecemeal DLC with V, they started with drips and drabs (Spain and Inca) but everyone hated it so they did actual expansions?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

People also complained that she wasn't actually ever the leader of france, which is at least somewhat relevant

Nah, that's dumb because she was regent for many years, de facto ruler for others, and key adviser for more.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I've been assuming this whole time that Catherine's inclusion was largely suggested by lead designer Ed Beach's board game work and research into the 16th century.
Cleopatra and Saladin have Civilization history already, being in III and IV respectively (and both in the Revolution series).

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought they learned their lesson about piecemeal DLC with V, they started with drips and drabs (Spain and Inca) but everyone hated it so they did actual expansions?
IIRC, it may have more been a backlash to how Babylon was handled in the end; free for pre-orders, then paid DLC for late adopters, which may have also led to why Mongolia was free.
In any case, whatever they've learned in 6 years, they've decided DLC is still worth it.
(Though I expect an expansion or two down the line to have whatever systems overhauls and additions they dream up, like a retooled World Congress or whatever.)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cythereal posted:

Grogs were pissed at Catherine de Medici leading France because she's a woman. Mostly they refrained from actually overtly saying that, but it's what they meant.

Wow, insightful and incisive.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm sure the DLC reaction had no influence at all on any of their decisions. Those were just the usual people who complain about the concept of DLC, steam, and anything else they see as an affront to whatever imaginary entity they are trying to protect. I think the DLC sold well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the reason they stopped the DLCs was because the expansions added systems (e.g., religion) that would have caused incompatibility issues if they created DLCs that used those systems. Like if someone had base, but not Gods & Kings, but still bought the Jesus DLC. I wouldn't put it past Firaxis for having it be a programming issue rather than an economic one. Was 5 still using Gamebryo? If so, is 6 using Gamebryo?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm sure the DLC reaction had no influence at all on any of their decisions. Those were just the usual people who complain about the concept of DLC, steam, and anything else they see as an affront to whatever imaginary entity they are trying to protect. I think the DLC sold well.

Really? It was like $5 per civ for a game that was in a terrible state. I am completely frivolous with computer game spending (ask me about pre ordering deluxe editions) and even I didn't go for that.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

I'm sure the DLC reaction had no influence at all on any of their decisions.

Counterargument: Aztec preorder bonus as a timed exclusive released automatically to non-preorders three months after release.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Any word on if they figured out a way to make "End Turn" take less than half an hour after you reveal the map?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Counterargument: Aztec preorder bonus as a timed exclusive released automatically to non-preorders three months after release.

They've already announced that Civ VI is going to have DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

They've already announced that Civ VI is going to have DLC.

*woosh*

(Contrast their handling of the preorder bonus this time with their handling of the preorder bonus for Civ5.)