Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is it possible to have fun in an England game without making colonization a major goal? I'd almost prefer to just not even colonize at all, but that might be tough.

I'm kind of tired of colonizing is all.

Yeah, conquer France.

Though if you don't want to colonize, I don't know why you'd pick England. Do Sweden or Muscovy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kongo gets a bad deal with institutions. The East/West Africans get their tech from Somalia/Iberians but in the Congo you get stuck a dozen provinces in every direction away from any tech at all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, conquer France.

Though if you don't want to colonize, I don't know why you'd pick England. Do Sweden or Muscovy or something.

So as to conquer France.

Though personally I prefer to just take the Atlantic coast and the rest of the stuff on the English Channel node, and give the rest to like Provence or Burgundy or something.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
My ironman crashes every attempt at a reload, when finishing the random new world setup?

Sent a crash report, but :smith:

Just running a couple cosmetic mods, but still crashes without them loaded.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odobenidae posted:

Kongo gets a bad deal with institutions. The East/West Africans get their tech from Somalia/Iberians but in the Congo you get stuck a dozen provinces in every direction away from any tech at all.

I think that's the idea

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
As Kongo you're in a great place to establish colonies for faster colonialism spread and portugal should spread institutions to you.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

It's an uphill battle. 1560s and even though I'm a great power I only have 5% of provinces with feudalism.

:negative:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fuligin posted:

There's a screenshot on the Paradox forums of a guy playing Korea accidentally sniping the Colonialism institution before Europe. Really excited to get home and fire this up, I've been waiting for weeks to start a new game.

I'm trying this as Korea now and something nuts must have happened in that game, like all the Iberian powers getting swallowed by France or something, 'cause I've reloaded like 10 times as the only nation in the world with a colonial nation and it spawns in (different parts of) Iberia every time.

On the other hand it doesn't much matter where it spawns- you can get colonialism in like 8 years even from the other side of the world.

Still, missing out on the special port sucks :mad:

edit: nevermind :getin: finally got it. just have to get really lucky I guess.

tangentially related, thank christ Paradox changed it back (or fixed whatever the problem was) so you can reload a save without relaunching the whole game now.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 12, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

tangentially related, thank christ Paradox changed it back (or fixed whatever the problem was) so you can reload a save without relaunching the whole game now.

That was deliberate, as they apparently couldn't make the game reset to the same state all the time without doing that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I know, but it was also incredibly annoying. Seems like they solved whatever the issue was now though.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Made my own little mod to vary up colonial nation names but there's some wonkiness. Can someone tell me what is wrong with:

names = {
trigger = {
any_owned_province = {
area = rio_grande_area
}
}
name = "COLONIAL_MEXICO_Rio_Grande"
}

The nation should spawn in as 'Rio Grande' but instead appears as 'COLONIAL_MEXICO_Rio_Grande'. All the other ones I've done have worked fine.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How did the Iberian Wedding work again as player Aragon?
Also it's been a while, any tips on how to play them, I figured I'd get Genoa asap while praying for the Iberian Wedding and colonizing Africa myself.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Are there any showsopper bugs on this First Day?

I somehow have a -6400 distance penalty to forming a Royal Marriage with Austria playing as Brandenburg, essentially impossible. Hungary has a distance penalty of -8 to compare.

Institutions probably need some more tweaking but are a cool mechanic imo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Damaged units seem to be taking the center in battles, resulting in a lot more micro to remove them from the stack before engaging.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Institutions are spreading so goddamn slowly to me.

What's the best way for speeding them up? Is it just raw development?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, institutions are pretty slow. I tried shoving in some points into developing my capital as Songhai, but I'm pretty sure this is going to take a few decades at least.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, institutions are pretty slow. I tried shoving in some points into developing my capital as Songhai,
According to a youtuber I watched it's about 2000 monarch points per province, at least in West Africa. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Are any of the new / adjusted national idea sets particularly good or interesting?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ottomans get Crimea as a vassal by event, pretty sure that's new

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Ottomans get Crimea as a vassal by event, pretty sure that's new

It's not guaranteed. I only got the subjugate CB from that event.

Also: Man, the ottomans are even more OP now than before.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Are any of the new / adjusted national idea sets particularly good or interesting?

Kaffa finally got their own ideas and they're pretty interesting. They start out with +15% Movement Speed, which as far as I know has never been in any idea set. The rest is decent, production bonuses, discipline, trade power, lower revolt risk.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Movement speed? Oh boy, that's my next start.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the Madagascar minors also gets bonus chance to capture ships, which is cool. Not sure that its very useful on its own since the chance to capture is so insanely low anyway.

By the way, isnt it weird that ships only get captured like 1% of the time. In real life the British had like half of their man-o-wars captured from the Dutch or Spanish or French at any given point

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Anybody find AE for taking territory increasing with more people than usual? Some Pdox forum folks were mentioning it and I also mentioned it after forcing vassalization of like 30 dev of stuff and reaping close to 70 AE with everyone near me

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Anybody know specifically which provinces got boosted/nerfed? Would be interesting to hear about the train of thought behind each decision.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Godlovesus posted:

Anybody find AE for taking territory increasing with more people than usual? Some Pdox forum folks were mentioning it and I also mentioned it after forcing vassalization of like 30 dev of stuff and reaping close to 70 AE with everyone near me

I was wondering if that had been a thing. I had a 350k+ coalition attack me in 1460 as ottomans earlier (including hungary, austria, virtually the entire southern HRE, venice, genoa, mamluks, QQ, georgia) I had been expanding really rapidly including annexing serbia but I kind of figured it wouldn't fire like that. People just kept joining :v:

I don't know if that's really a large coalition but the fact that both christians and two different muslim religions (plus I guess orthodox Georgia) were all in the coalition is something I haven't experienced before.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 12, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Godlovesus posted:

Yeah, you should've seen the size of the coalition I got from vassalizing Brandenburg in one go. Had to restart but it was only a few years in and definitely worth it. :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
gently caress, decided to try Coptomans. Finally got rebels to spawn, they siege down two already Coptic provinces and decided to gently caress off to somewhere in Crimea.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Happened to me as well, you have to conquer everything around Armenia to make sure they stay in your land.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah I got more than 100 AR with the Manchurian tribes for taking 5 provinces of Jianzhou. Something seemed a bit weird there.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So basically they hosed up AE, knew I should wait with my first game until the first bug fix patch. Or someone at Paradox has weird ideas about fun and this is intended to slow us down even more.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, conquer France.

Just never done an England run. Maybe I'll wait until I'm less burned out on colonization.

Sweden could be fun.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It seems like with ever major DLC. AE get broken some how

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I haven't had any AE problems in my current Brandenburg game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I also haven't had issues with Brandenburg, but I did have issues with it the Otto. This is completely opposite from what I expected

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Haven't had AE problems but I'm playing Songhai so all the land around is worth nothing anyway.

Speaking of West Africa, it is a pain in the rear end to get those Renaissance institutions ticking away in your country. I'm lucky enough that Portugal managed to eat Morocco and then colonized the gap between Morocco and Timbuktu. Still means that the institution is coming through a corridor, but at least I can get it.

Someone else might want to try Mali on this patch. They get coasts so they can border Iberian colonies, they have a ton of money from their gold mines and they still get to eat Jolof for free.

Is anyone else seeing the AI be more active with alliances? West Africa was a giant mess of alliances before I managed to eat a good deal of it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Any major bugs with this release or is it good to start a new ironman run with it?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I swear some of the new events seem to be missing text for some options. I got one of those consort events and the second option didn't bring up an explanation of what it does.

Also, AE is apparently messed up, but it's not too consistent. You probably want to check it out with an Ottomans game first.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Can someone explain Trade Cities to me? With a Venice start, you can make three right off the bat (Venice node, Ragusa node, Alexandria Node), but the trade power transfer (1-10?) doesn't seem to offset the province loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Marenghi posted:

Any major bugs with this release or is it good to start a new ironman run with it?

Try reading the page my dude

• Locked thread